Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

No strength in depth!!

Read 1829 times
      Stugdz
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 1 posts |
      No strength in depth!!
      Jan 30, 2017 09:16:05 am
      Its concerning to see how bare our squad is comparing to the other 5 teams who are also challenging.

It was brilliant at the start of the season when we are blowing teams away with high intensity, but we clearly dont have a plan B.

We go into games now praying we are not 1 or 2 down as the lack of game changers we have on the bench.

I understand klopps system and he wants to buy players that fit that, but we clearly needed players in january and he has not bought. Personally i do believe it has cost us points this month and cup exits.

I know he will add to our squad in summer and we will be more consistent next year, but we had a really good chance this year and have blown ot once again!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: No strength in depth!!
      Reply #1: Jan 30, 2017 11:46:45 am
      I think Klopp now sees that he is going to have to buy a LOT of players in the summer if we are to really compete on all fronts as very few of the fringe players make the grade. Having said that there is talent amongst the youngsters but they need more time to develop.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2: Jan 30, 2017 11:57:24 am
      Do we even need a thread for this.

It's been said and discussed to death.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #3: Jan 30, 2017 06:46:55 pm
      Do we even need a thread for this.

It's been said and discussed to death.
      Then why even come on it and say anything?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #4: Jan 30, 2017 07:14:27 pm
      Then why even come on it and say anything?

Well seeing as though you came into the thread to contribute Jack, maybe there's a hint there?

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #5: Jan 30, 2017 07:55:45 pm
      Yeah the squad looks thin.  We've thrown the talented young reds in but no-one has really pulled up any trees.  Go and buy? Realistically there was nobody in January available/affordable/desiring the move.  At least I can't think of anyone - even the usual bullshit rabid transfer-rumouring has produced diddly squat this month!   No - we have a squad lacking depth, due to some players who should have been stepping up by now (Moreno, Can, Sturridge, Origi, Klavan) not being good enough or motivated enough (or fit enough?)to do so. 

Who to blame?  What's the point..?   I'm tired of knee-jerk blame-game numpties wanting sackings for every perceived failure.

Let's support our thin-on-the-ground squad, and our not-quite-good-enough reserves, and our not-quite-ready-yet kids and make every last one of those lucky bas**rds feel proud to wear our famous shirt, because we are behind them all the bloody way, win lose or draw. 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: Jan 30, 2017 08:51:39 pm
      The concern for me is looking at Klopp's targets, they hardly inspire me with confidence that we'll be better off than we are now because they're all untried and untested kids with no experience at winning things. This squad's biggest problem is it's become used to being an also-ran. There is currently no one in the squad who will be there next Season who has experience at winning things and we desperately need that experience in the squad. I'm happy to stick with Klopp right now because the plain truth is we're not getting anyone better but if he goes out and buys more inexperience next Summer, my patience with both him and FSG will come to a swift end.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #7: Jan 31, 2017 05:43:19 am
      Well seeing as though you came into the thread to contribute Jack, maybe there's a hint there?
      So just because your not interested no one else should be either? Sounds about right.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2017 06:27:23 am
      What I don't understand is, after declaring winter windows as obsolete in L4, if we now (as though it's suddenly dawned on us) know this squad wasn't even capable of sustaining a domestic campaign. And that summer signings will be needed for that, next season. What happens to our summer transfer activity in the event we qualify for either the UEFA or European cup, do we buy even more players?

PS: It's a relevant topic, but as HScRed1 said it's been discussed many times all over the board. Perhaps the discussion can go into one place.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2017 10:01:28 am
      The concern for me is looking at Klopp's targets, they hardly inspire me with confidence that we'll be better off than we are now because they're all untried and untested kids with no experience at winning things. This squad's biggest problem is it's become used to being an also-ran. There is currently no one in the squad who will be there next Season who has experience at winning things and we desperately need that experience in the squad. I'm happy to stick with Klopp right now because the plain truth is we're not getting anyone better but if he goes out and buys more inexperience next Summer, my patience with both him and FSG will come to a swift end.

We are light on experience. It is one of the reason I want us to get on a run and be in with a chance of winning the league with a few games left. It would be great for all those players who haven’t been at the sharp end when it counts to get that experience. Of the players who came closes 3 years ago we only have five players left in the squad, Mignolet, Coutinho, Henderson, Lucas and Sturridge, Six if you include Sakho. Its possible we could start next year with only 2 or 3 of them. 

It another reason I so wanted us to strengthen the side this January . I was really hoping we would get a couple of players who would give us a boost (I haven’t given up hope ! we still have 16 hours tell the transfer deadline). Even if we had to overspend by £10 million it would be worth it if we continued to challenge and where in the hunt until the last few games. The experience would be invaluable

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2017 11:13:28 am
      We are light on experience. It is one of the reason I want us to get on a run and be in with a chance of winning the league with a few games left. It would be great for all those players who haven’t been at the sharp end when it counts to get that experience. Of the players who came closes 3 years ago we only have five players left in the squad, Mignolet, Coutinho, Henderson, Lucas and Sturridge, Six if you include Sakho. Its possible we could start next year with only 2 or 3 of them. 

It another reason I so wanted us to strengthen the side this January . I was really hoping we would get a couple of players who would give us a boost (I haven’t given up hope ! we still have 16 hours tell the transfer deadline). Even if we had to overspend by £10 million it would be worth it if we continued to challenge and where in the hunt until the last few games. The experience would be invaluable

I agree but it's a Chicken and Egg scenario, isn't it? We can't gain experience without winning trophies and challenging for the Title and in Europe but without experience we can't win trophies or challenge for the Title or Europe. That's why it needs to be bought in and if we just go after kids again we'll be no better off. I appreciate his preference for coaching over purchasing the finished article but someone needs to remind Klopp he's not a youth development coach and his one and only goal is to win this club the title and trophies and without players in the side who have experience at that, baring some Leicester-esq fluke, we're not going to do that.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2017 04:03:55 pm
      we knew mane would be out since we bought him
      we didnt even get a player on loan to cover.

Whos fault is that smh
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2017 05:02:40 pm
      we knew mane would be out since we bought him
      we didnt even get a player on loan to cover.

Whos fault is that smh

I'd hazard a guess at the manger.  Or maybe the medical staff for telling him in pre season that Ojo would only be out for a month with his back injury when it turned out to be far more serious than they thought and it kept him out of contention till December.

And be honest here, what player of Mane's quality was going to be available on loan??
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2017 06:14:21 pm
      I'd hazard a guess at the manger.  Or maybe the medical staff for telling him in pre season that Ojo would only be out for a month with his back injury when it turned out to be far more serious than they thought and it kept him out of contention till December.

And be honest here, what player of Mane's quality was going to be available on loan??

Payet was desperate to leave West Ham, their players hated him I know he was sold, but if we swooped quick enough we could have resolved that issue for them.

i dunno there are tons of quality players out there. We pay scouts and coaches a very good wage to find these players. I'm just a guy on a forum bruh ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #14: Jan 31, 2017 06:31:00 pm
      Payet was desperate to leave West Ham, their players hated him I know he was sold, but if we swooped quick enough we could have resolved that issue for them.

i dunno there are tons of quality players out there. We pay scouts and coaches a very good wage to find these players. I'm just a guy on a forum bruh ;D

Jürgen is never going to buy a player like Payet when it appears his attitude want 100%
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jan 31, 2017 06:34:26 pm

Payet was desperate to go back to France mate. 

We have a few quality players already who could and should have been able to cover for Mane's absence, Sturridge, Origi, Ojo at a push but it wasn't just Mane was it?  We've been missing our best players from all across the pitch nd no squad can deal with that.

Hendo, Gini, Lallana, Mane, Cou and Firmino have not been available to play together for the last 11 games, that's £150m worth of talent (at the prices we bought them for) who will play every game they're available but you think we should have that level of quality on the bench to cover for injuries?

Not one team, anywhere apart from possible RM has that level of quality sat waiting in the wings.

Our "squad" has looked light this last month or so but so would any of our rivals if they couldn't field their 6 best attacking players for nearly a third of the season.

Just to add, we will bring in better quality this summer, just like we did last summer.  Some will be starters, some won't.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2017 06:39:47 pm
      Jürgen is never going to buy a player like Payet when it appears his attitude want 100%

Payet is French.

Don't need to say any more .

Lived there .
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #17: Jan 31, 2017 06:48:13 pm

Payet is a c**t.

We don't want cu*ts at our club.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #18: Jan 31, 2017 06:55:15 pm
      i mean, is it really about payet? he asked me who, i threw a name out. The point is we had about 5 months to evaluate the mane situation. Many people knew his absence was going to be crucial and it proved to be.

We should have been better equipped for this scenario is alls im saying. Lets not focus on that i threw payets name out there ;D

Quick Reply