Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Summer Outgoings 2017

Read 10497 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Summer Outgoings 2017
      Jan 30, 2017 08:17:55 pm
      Around this time last year I started a topic to look at the huge number of players we had accrued over the years, a lot of which were barely used, and to discuss who could be on their way out in the summer.  As it happened last summer saw 23 players leave the Club from both the 1st team and the Academy, with another 12 going out on loan, out of the 53 players listed in the OP.

This topic is pretty much the same, where we'll be looking at those who remained, those who came in last summer, who should stay again, who's impressed and who not so much. 

IT'S NOT TO DISCUSS WHO SHOULD COME IN!!

This was our named squad for the 2016/17 season.

Simon Mignolet, Loris Karius, Alex Manninger

Joel Matip, Dejan Lovren, Ragnar Klavan, Mamadou Sakho, Tiago Ilori, Nathaniel Clyne (HG), James Milner (HG), Alberto Moreno

Emre Can, Jordan Henderson (HG), Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana (HG), Georginio Wijnaldum, Sadio Mane, Lucas Leiva, Kevin Stewart (HG),

Daniel Sturridge (HG), Roberto Firmino, Danny Ings (HG)

(HG – Homegrown Player)

Grujic and Origi were not named as they were under 21s.  Origi will need to be next season.

Loaned out.

Bogdan, Ward, Fulton, Flanno, Wisdom, Jones, Allan, Kent, Marko, Awaniyi, Dunn, Hart.

From that 1st team squad Ilori has already gone and Sakho will almost certainly follow and out of those loaned out I'd expect us to let go/sell Bogdan, Ward, Fulton, Flanno, Wisdom, Jones, Marko and Dunn.

Bogdan should never have arrived.

Ward I think will stay at Huddersfield, as he's now playing every week and unless Migs forces a move he'll be 3rd choice here.

Fulton hasn't done much at Chesterfield, he's played 22 games out of 28 and they're sitting in the relegation zone on 26 points with a GD of -17.

Dunn is always injured.

Flanno is a very sad case, not the best technically but always had heart and gave his best, unfortunately he's really not recovered from those knee injuries.

Wisdom and Jones I just can't see offering enough to keep them, same with Marko unless he has some out of this world performances at Hull.

I doubt Lucas will still be with us (but stranger things have happened) and it wouldn't surprise me to see Moreno, Can, Stewart, Ings and Sturridge go too.

Moreno has now had over a year of Jurgenification and he's still not got it, time to stop flogging a dead horse and accept defeat.

Can is a weird one, he's regressed this season or at least not developed how we expected him to do and now, by all accounts, he's stalling on extending his contract with Juve apparrently sniffing round.  I know he seems to be a Klopp favourite but if he doesn't want to be here, then off you go.

Stewart, Ings and Studge, now there's a conundrum. 

Stewart is no more than a decent squad player, I doubt if he'll ever play a significant role at the Club but Jürgen likes him, he seems happy with that role and he's homegrown. 

Ings bless him, he so desparately wanted to be part of the Club and do his bit when asked of him and if his damned knees had held up he probably would have too.  Oh how we could have done with him since November!  I'd say him staying or leaving depends on if he's recovered from the last injury or not.  We can't sell an injured player if they can't pass the medical.

Studge really needs to go and I think Jürgen has realised that now.  He'll be a fantastic striker for someone, not as prolific as he was but still a decent striker.

From the youngsters Randall will more than likely go, Jordan Williams is another I expect to leave and Tom Brewitt has been having trials with other clubs.

So that's 17 players that barely feature, aren't good enough and never will be for what Jürgen needs or totally unreliable fitness wise.

Notable young players: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ovie Ejaria, Joe Gomez, Sheyi Ojo, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn, Shamal George, Kamil Grabara, Cameron Brannagan, Pedro Chirivella, Ryan Kent.

From the youngsters, Cam, Pedro and Brooks Lennon are now out on loan till the summer, Kent already was, the rest are training with and considered part of the senior squad, apart from the 2 keepers.  Naturally they'll all continue to play at u23s level when they aren't part of the senior matchday squad. 

Joe and Sheyi are still being gradually brought back to match fitness and now poor old Ovie has a really bad injury that could be devestating for his development.  Grujic is also still very young and has barely got any PL minutes due to his ongoing injury problems but if he recovers well from them we'll see much more of him next season too. 

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017 10:11:06 pm by JD »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Summer Outgoings 2017.
      Reply #1: Jan 30, 2017 08:24:02 pm
      Off the top of the head these players should go. In some cases for their own sake.

Sakho Moreno Lucas sturridge can Stewart markovic wisdom and one of the keepers
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #2: Jan 30, 2017 08:26:41 pm
      All of them!!  We are sh*t!!  Rip it up and start over....  :)

Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Markovic, and Studge all seem likely to leave.  I'd personally sell Can and replace him, but Jürgen has a boner for his fellow countryman so I can't see it happening.  Others like Stewart and Ings may depart if anyone registers a genuine interest. 

As long as the core is kept together and we get about 5 quality players (CB, LB, CM, RW/LW, ST) who fit Klopp's tactical approach then we'll be in business!!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: Jan 30, 2017 08:39:39 pm
      It's interesting to hear Klopp talk about Stewart...."He will be a good PL player someday", not "He will be a good LFC player someday" so I think we will be entertaining offers; as far as others are concerned that I think are out in no particular order and/or offers we receive.

Bogdan
      Moreno
      Stewart
      Sturridge
      Randall
      Markovic
      Wisdom
      Lucas
      Sakho
      Manninger
      Flanagan

scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #4: Jan 30, 2017 08:43:20 pm
      Well done Debs a lot of work doing that,when did we let Jordan Ibe go cant remember
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Jan 30, 2017 08:43:59 pm
      Well done Debs a lot of work doing that,when did we let Jordan Ibe go cant remember

Last summer mate.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #6: Jan 30, 2017 08:47:02 pm

Only for £15 million to Bournemouth.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #7: Jan 30, 2017 08:57:45 pm
      Cheers Reddebs/Shabs quite liked the lad ,could have done a job for us recently .
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #8: Jan 30, 2017 09:06:00 pm
      Around this time last year I started a topic to look at the huge number of players we had accrued over the years, a lot of which were barely used, and to discuss who could be on their way out in the summer.  As it happened last summer saw 23 players leave the Club from both the 1st team and the Academy, with another 12 going out on loan, out of the 53 players listed in the OP.

This topic is pretty much the same, where we'll be looking at those who remained, those who came in last summer, who should stay again, who's impressed and who not so much. 

IT'S NOT TO DISCUSS WHO SHOULD COME IN!!

This was our named squad for the 2016/17 season.

Simon Mignolet, Loris Karius, Alex Manninger

Joel Matip, Dejan Lovren, Ragnar Klavan, Mamadou Sakho, Tiago Ilori, Nathaniel Clyne (HG), James Milner (HG), Alberto Moreno

Emre Can, Jordan Henderson (HG), Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana (HG), Georginio Wijnaldum, Sadio Mane, Lucas Leiva, Kevin Stewart (HG),

Daniel Sturridge (HG), Roberto Firmino, Danny Ings (HG)

(HG – Homegrown Player)

Grujic and Origi were not named as they were under 21s.  Origi will need to be next season.

Loaned out.

Bogdan, Ward, Fulton, Flanno, Wisdom, Jones, Allan, Kent, Marko, Awaniyi, Dunn, Hart.

From that 1st team squad Ilori has already gone and Sakho will almost certainly follow and out of those loaned out I'd expect us to let go/sell Bogdan, Ward, Fulton, Flanno, Wisdom, Jones, Marko and Dunn.

Bogdan should never have arrived.

Ward I think will stay at Huddersfield, as he's now playing every week and unless Migs forces a move he'll be 3rd choice here.

Fulton hasn't done much at Chesterfield, he's played 22 games out of 28 and they're sitting in the relegation zone on 26 points with a GD of -17.

Dunn is always injured.

Flanno is a very sad case, not the best technically but always had heart and gave his best, unfortunately he's really not recovered from those knee injuries.

Wisdom and Jones I just can't see offering enough to keep them, same with Marko unless he has some out of this world performances at Hull.

I doubt Lucas will still be with us (but stranger things have happened) and it wouldn't surprise me to see Moreno, Can, Stewart, Ings and Sturridge go too.

Moreno has now had over a year of Jurgenification and he's still not got it, time to stop flogging a dead horse and accept defeat.

Can is a weird one, he's regressed this season or at least not developed how we expected him to do and now, by all accounts, he's stalling on extending his contract with Juve apparrently sniffing round.  I know he seems to be a Klopp favourite but if he doesn't want to be here, then off you go.

Stewart, Ings and Studge, now there's a conundrum. 

Stewart is no more than a decent squad player, I doubt if he'll ever play a significant role at the Club but Jürgen likes him, he seems happy with that role and he's homegrown. 

Ings bless him, he so desparately wanted to be part of the Club and do his bit when asked of him and if his damned knees had held up he probably would have too.  Oh how we could have done with him since November!  I'd say him staying or leaving depends on if he's recovered from the last injury or not.  We can't sell an injured player if they can't pass the medical.

Studge really needs to go and I think Jürgen has realised that now.  He'll be a fantastic striker for someone, not as prolific as he was but still a decent striker.

From the youngsters Randall will more than likely go, Jordan Williams is another I expect to leave and Tom Brewitt has been having trials with other clubs.

So that's 17 players that barely feature, aren't good enough and never will be for what Jürgen needs or totally unreliable fitness wise.

Notable young players: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ovie Ejaria, Joe Gomez, Sheyi Ojo, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn, Shamal George, Kamil Grabara, Cameron Brannagan, Pedro Chirivella, Ryan Kent.

From the youngsters, Cam, Pedro and Brooks Lennon are now out on loan till the summer, Kent already was, the rest are training with and considered part of the senior squad, apart from the 2 keepers.  Naturally they'll all continue to play at u23s level when they aren't part of the senior matchday squad. 

Joe and Sheyi are still being gradually brought back to match fitness and now poor old Ovie has a really bad injury that could be devestating for his development.  Grujic is also still very young and has barely got any PL minutes due to his ongoing injury problems but if he recovers well from them we'll see much more of him next season too.

Great stuff Debs, as we've come to expect.  Quick question - Rhian Brewster:  Where do you see him as a likely candidate for cup matches next season?  I've heard great things about him, but never seen the lad - and I notice you haven't mentioned him.

I feel as if we're at one of our regular crossroads as a club where we are faced with a choice of policies in terms of how we build our team(s) towards success in the next few years.

Do we:   

• Stay close to Klopp's heart and nurture, develop and train the young talent we have coming through or already here; selling those that don't quite make it along the way, to build a team of lads who came through togetehr (making full use of the academy)? 

Do a Chelski / ManC / ManU and buy proven but costly Champions League talent across most positions, including the odd Big Name (Big Wages), with the odd outstanding youngster allowed his chance (maybe only 1 on the bench per season)?

Mix a few of the best younger lads with a sprinkling of Premier-proven pros who fit the JK mould (likes of Mane, Ings, etc) as we do at the moment?

I think as a club the second option is seen as 'not our way,' although some fans would see it as the ONLY way forward if we want success.
      The third is the one we seem a bit stuck in.  And it hasn't looked too successful so far, because the quality we need/crave doesn't appear to be here, at least not in enough depth, not yet.
      The first option is the huge gamble, the patience game - success in a few years if it works, potential short term disaster if it doesn't.  Rule it out - no one has the patience.

Regarding outgoings, option 1 means we hang on to the the young lads who maybe aren't doing so well right now, as they should 'develop'.

Option 2 means wholesale offloading to raise money and create space in the squad for costly stellar names.

Option 3 means we pretty much carry on as we are, accumulating more 'might be good one day' players of potential, who we soon need to offload as they prove inadequate, yet struggle to do so.

The more I look at it, the more option 2 looks like the only realistic winning strategy.  Sell our soul to the devil (or his Agents)?

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Jan 30, 2017 10:15:18 pm
      Great stuff Debs, as we've come to expect.  Quick question - Rhian Brewster:  Where do you see him as a likely candidate for cup matches next season?  I've heard great things about him, but never seen the lad - and I notice you haven't mentioned him.

I feel as if we're at one of our regular crossroads as a club where we are faced with a choice of policies in terms of how we build our team(s) towards success in the next few years.

Do we:   

• Stay close to Klopp's heart and nurture, develop and train the young talent we have coming through or already here; selling those that don't quite make it along the way, to build a team of lads who came through togetehr (making full use of the academy)? 

Do a Chelski / ManC / ManU and buy proven but costly Champions League talent across most positions, including the odd Big Name (Big Wages), with the odd outstanding youngster allowed his chance (maybe only 1 on the bench per season)?

Mix a few of the best younger lads with a sprinkling of Premier-proven pros who fit the JK mould (likes of Mane, Ings, etc) as we do at the moment?

I think as a club the second option is seen as 'not our way,' although some fans would see it as the ONLY way forward if we want success.
      The third is the one we seem a bit stuck in.  And it hasn't looked too successful so far, because the quality we need/crave doesn't appear to be here, at least not in enough depth, not yet.
      The first option is the huge gamble, the patience game - success in a few years if it works, potential short term disaster if it doesn't.  Rule it out - no one has the patience.

Regarding outgoings, option 1 means we hang on to the the young lads who maybe aren't doing so well right now, as they should 'develop'.

Option 2 means wholesale offloading to raise money and create space in the squad for costly stellar names.

Option 3 means we pretty much carry on as we are, accumulating more 'might be good one day' players of potential, who we soon need to offload as they prove inadequate, yet struggle to do so.

The more I look at it, the more option 2 looks like the only realistic winning strategy.  Sell our soul to the devil (or his Agents)?

I know last seasons topic was labelled as a clearout as that's what it needed to be and that's essentially what happened but I think we need to stop thinking of transfer windows as a means to raise funds and/or cut costs now. 

Jürgen is building his squad with players he wants to keep because they offer what he needs and/or players he can develop, so those who don't will be moved on.  It doesn't matter if they're young or old or somewhere in between, bring in funds or are released.  The Academy did the same last summer and will do again this summer as we had a tendency to keep hold of players way beyond their usefulness to theirs and our detriment.

He has a small core of players he trusts, his starting 11 plus one or two others, then he has his developers.  My instincts tell me that the core will remain and as with last summers incomings he'll do the same or similar this summer.  So 3 or 4 starters or challengers to those starters (Mane, Gini, Matip, Karius) plus 3 or 4 that he can develop or with experience as back ups (Manninger, Klaven, Grujic). 

As for the Academy lads, there are so many factors that can effect who gets that breakthrough and then kicks on.  Last summer most of us who follow the Academy lads would probably not have said those who broke through would, as they were all so young and had barely, if at all played with the u23s.  They were all playing mainly at u18s.  The training camp that Jürgen did in Tenerife during the International break last March/April brought them to the fore.  On the back of that, they were involved in the pre season games and now they're part of the senior squad. 

TAA, for example, leapfrogged Connor Randall at RB due to Connors long term injury.  We had no RB for the u23s so he was promoted but Ojo who was expected to feature far more this season suffered a fractured spine in pre season which has kept him out of contention.  I'm sure that he would have been used as Manes replacement during the AFCON if he'd been involved all season.

So to answer your questions.

Rhian Brewster wasn't mentioned due to he's only just turned 17, he is definitely a talent but is he ready for 1st team action?  Probably not this season, unless we whither away so badly that we're out of all the European qualification places and have nothing to play for but who the hell knows.  As for next season?  If we qualify for the CL then he'll be playing in the Youth version of it, as will a lot of the others, which will be amazing for their development and gaining experience.  He could possible get a League Cup game dependent on who we draw in the early stages.

I don't think we are at a crossroads mate as that implies we're not sure of which direction to take.  We'll continue to grow as a squad, we'll continue to develop the young players both from the Academy and those bought and we'll continue to improve our starting and matchday squad as we did last summer.  We're tying down our most imprtant players to new long term contracts and those who don't want to commit will leave. 

I think we have a valid route to our destination and Jürgen to drive us there.

But that's just my take on things and I'm always positively charged  ;D

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2017 02:56:17 pm
      Another 'summer clearout' thread? A bit early aint it?

We should be looking to add players to our squad let alone 'clear some out'.

We got some nerve talkin about selling players to the likes of west ham, stoke, swansea etc etc, WE CAN'T EVEN BEAT THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Come back to reality people.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2017 02:58:48 pm

We got some nerve talkin about selling players to the likes of west ham, stoke, swansea etc etc, WE CAN'T EVEN BEAT THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS.

No point keeping players that barely play mate.  We can only register 25 players so where would the new ones go when they're signed.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2017 03:23:49 pm

I think this is reality. There are a lot of players who do not fit the bill or put bluntly are just not good enough.

Would you prefer it if we kept those players? Not too sure what your point is with that, we are well aware of our shortcomings without you telling us to "come back to reality".

On topic. I think we will definitely see Moreno, Sturridge, Randall, Sakho all gone from the first team.

With regards to those on the peripheral it was telling that Markovic went straight back on loan so he will be gone. As will Bogdan, Randall, Stewart and possibly one of the two keepers.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2017 03:24:48 pm
      FSG?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Jan 31, 2017 03:31:25 pm

You tease you.... ;D

Any idea how many of our academy players are looking to be sold?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #15: Jan 31, 2017 04:26:15 pm
      We can't even handle our current schedule without European football. U want to lessen the squad and then replace those players? with who? It'll still be a weak squad with low numbers.

We shouldn't be losing players like Can, Sahko and Sturridge, just because their form is poor currently. We should be adding to them Yall some fair weather fans. SMH.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2017 04:54:02 pm
      We can't even handle our current schedule without European football. U want to lessen the squad and then replace those players? with who? It'll still be a weak squad with low numbers.

We shouldn't be losing players like Can, Sahko and Sturridge, just because their form is poor currently. We should be adding to them Yall some fair weather fans. SMH.

Most of the players discussed haven't even played this season, most aren't even at the club because they're out on loan.  How will it weaken us??

JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #17: Jan 31, 2017 05:49:24 pm

Fair weather because I would like to see the players who will not/cannot feature moved on? The players mentioned, with the exception of Daniel Sturridge have failed to make an impact or improve in the way we hoped they would. Let's take Alberto Moreno for example. Do you think he should be in the squad next season? The man is a liability.
      Daniel Sturridge either cannot or will not play as he used to, it seems the injuries have caught up with him, and if not he is just an idle b***ard. Either way, unless there is a marked Improvement he should go.

Incidentally, I want these changes to Improve the squad. I have been going to Anfield for almost 40 years, I have seen us win leagues, FA Cups, League Cups and I have been to European finals, I have seen us beaten by Oldham, Barnsley, Bolton Wanderers etc. etc and I will be renewing my season ticket come May, whatever happpens.

Fair weather fan? Catch yourself on lad!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Summer Outgoings 2017
      Reply #18: Feb 01, 2017 12:15:05 am
      Good topic this Debs.

My take on it ... although its January  is ....

Mignolet .   Leopard and spots. Saves a penalty and yet wasn't even aware for the Chavs goal.  31/1/17.
      Certainly not a Top Four Goalkeeper .

Sturridge    bye bye  and off you go where they will appreciate a non chasing part time forward.

Ings     Think that it has been one injury too many and really feel for the lad .

Moreno  Will always be a weakness.

Markovic   On loan and will be gone.

Wisdom  Not quite made the grade .

Sakho   On loan and good riddance.

Manninger  Was a stop gap gap.

Flanagan  Best of luck to the lad .

Would love to see Lucas kept on the staff .
      Loyal servant.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Feb 01, 2017 01:48:52 am
      Would love to see Lucas kept on the staff .
      Loyal servant.

He's only just turned 30 mate. Think he wants to carry on playing for a bit! Even if it's not at the very highest level.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #20: Feb 01, 2017 02:05:03 am
      might be in the minority here, and dont think it will happen but Lovren for me.
      Just too erratic. last thing you want is a CB whom youve no idea what hes going to do.

appalling tonight in the lead up to the penalty. id just about accept him as a squad player but not first choice for me.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #21: Feb 01, 2017 02:13:26 am
      might be in the minority here, and dont think it will happen but Lovren for me.
      Just too erratic. last thing you want is a CB whom youve no idea what hes going to do.

appalling tonight in the lead up to the penalty. id just about accept him as a squad player but not first choice for me.

I was shouting blue murder at the television tonight at some of his decisions.

I like the guy - I think he should be a squad player who might come in handy for cup games next season but he's not a starter. Not a starter at all, and the reason is primarily because he is so inconsistent as you suggest.

One match he is sublime, the next he looks like a donkey. Klopp would do well to get another quality centre back in.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #22: Feb 01, 2017 02:23:31 am
      Also, Emre Can has to go.

Just unbearable to watch - when you're brought up on a diet of Steven Gerrard rampaging the midfield like a bull in a china shop, then supporters standards are going to be unbelievably high.

He's the complete antithesis of Steven Gerrard - he sucks the energy out of the team, F***ing about with possession and ultimately doing F**k all with it, slowing down attacks with mind numbingly tedious hesitations, constantly beaten, oh, and he is so slow. Soooooooooooo F***ing slow.

It's like watching a player in slow motion. He brings absolutely nothing to the side and only serves to harm our chances of winning matches. sh*te at attacking, sh*te at defending - he's no good at anything.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23: Feb 01, 2017 03:23:38 am
      Understand the Can and Lovren shouts but I don't want them gone....Not at all.

What I want is for Can to get pushed into the Stewart/Lucas role and Dejan to be the new Klaven.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #24: Feb 01, 2017 10:51:06 am

What I want is for Can to get pushed into the Stewart/Lucas role and Dejan to be the new Klaven.

Agree.  I think both of them have first XI question marks but they are certainly the level our second XI or subs should be at.  At the start of a season you should be able to cross out any 5 players in the first XI and be able to supply replacements you think we would win Premier League games with.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #25: Feb 01, 2017 10:57:22 am

Agree with that we still need a decent squad and Emre and Dejan would be good options if and when needed.

Still have hopes that Can can step up even though he has not shown much improvement this season.
      I think he has had to play much this season when coming off the bench midget have Been better for him.

Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #26: Feb 01, 2017 11:12:16 am

agreed, how come top top players play every game?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #27: Feb 01, 2017 12:02:58 pm
      Mignolet
      Randall
      Klavan
      Moreno
      Stewart
      Lucas
      Sturridge

Don't think anyone that's out on loan has a future either so we can get rid of them.

Agree that Can and Lovren need to be becoming squad players rather than sold to fund their replacement. Otherwise we'll just end up in the situation we are in right now. Sturridge the exception.

Would be wanting 6 coming in if we get rid of who I've said but don't see us having the money to do all that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #28: Feb 01, 2017 01:49:04 pm

Think that's harsh myself.  Obviously not ticked your boxes but I think he's a solid back up.  When you have players like Lucas having to fill in at centre-back there's no way I'd be getting rid of Klavan just yet - certainly not until we see how Gomez is getting on (because I didn't think he sparkled in last weeks horror spell).
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #29: Feb 01, 2017 02:40:33 pm
      OUT:

Mignolet
      Manninger
      Karius
      Bogdan

Klavan
      Moreno
      Randall
      Sakho
      Wisdom
      Flanagan

Leiva
      Stewart
      Can
      Markovic
      Origi

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #30: Feb 01, 2017 02:55:01 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #31: Feb 01, 2017 03:00:29 pm
      OUT:

Mignolet
      Manninger
      Karius
      Bogdan

Klavan
      Moreno
      Randall
      Sakho
      Wisdom
      Flanagan

Leiva
      Stewart
      Can
      Markovic
      Origi

Yea, let's get rid of all three keepers and start again.

That's a great way to build a squad.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #32: Feb 01, 2017 04:25:17 pm
      Yea, let's get rid of all three keepers and start again.

That's a great way to build a squad.

That list was BRUTAL. I'd be playing in the cup games we'd be that short.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #33: Feb 01, 2017 04:52:21 pm
      OUT:

Mignolet
      Manninger
      Karius
      Bogdan

Klavan
      Moreno
      Randall
      Sakho
      Wisdom
      Flanagan

Leiva
      Stewart
      Can
      Markovic
      Origi

Piss being well and truly taken here.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Feb 01, 2017 05:47:24 pm
      Can, Sturridge, Moreno and Sakho the four biggest names, the former because of his contract and the next two because they will want to play more regularly. sakho is obvious. Our loan players over 21 should be gone as well.

These four names correspond with the positions where we should be looking to buy, but Debs has decreed that we will not be talking about that on this thread, and I am nothing but a compliant soul, especially when it comes to her directives.  ;D

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #35: Feb 01, 2017 11:37:03 pm
      The McDonald's style turn over in staff says it all if you need the truth. Serve sh*t fare but a very wealthy company, so all's good.

Season written off in January - go next year... whoo  hoo.  :clap: :clap:

harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #36: Feb 02, 2017 12:24:44 am
      The McDonald's style turn over in staff says it all if you need the truth. Serve sh*t fare but a very wealthy company, so all's good.

Season written off in January - go next year... whoo  hoo.  :clap: :clap:

Whose written it off?  I haven't, and I highly doubt Klopp or the players have.  Chelsea will drop points between now and the end.  We will need to be nearly perfect to make them pay for it, but with Coutinho and Matip just about back to full fitness and Mane back from the ACON, we have our best 11 back in action.  Also, we have the "luxury" of being able to focus on 1 game per week.  Our best 11 is as good as any in England, so no reason why we can't make a real push for the top in the next 4 months!! 

Keep the faith lads :)
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #37: Feb 02, 2017 02:04:25 am
      Mignolet
      Moreno
      Sturridge

Simply because they are not first teamers, and when they do start, they show why they are not. And don't try to feed my that "Sturridge is world class sh*te" he used to be, now, nope.

Can
      Lovren

I hear the squad player thing, but no, it doesn't wash with me. Far too inconsistent to be of use to anyone. I remember the Palace match when Lovren got a goal, and he was loved, but his feck up cost us one to start with. Thank you no, too much of this.

Lucas

He scored against Plymouth, his first goal for SEVEN years! Has played a good couple of games in defence, but like Lovren, fecks up too many times and costs us games.

Get rid of them and we have already set the standards. We want success, we DEMAND it, these players are costing us.

As a plus, get rid of these and it gives us a better idea of who we need to replace them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38: Feb 02, 2017 07:26:10 am
      OUT:

Mignolet
      Manninger
      Karius
      Bogdan

Klavan
      Moreno
      Randall
      Sakho
      Wisdom
      Flanagan

Leiva
      Stewart
      Can
      Markovic
      Origi

This is a crazy persons ramblings if I ever seen it
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #39: Feb 02, 2017 07:27:43 am
      This is a crazy persons ramblings if I ever seen it

Well to be honest I wouldn't care if I didn't see any of those players again except for Origi who I think will become great
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #40: Feb 02, 2017 01:54:47 pm
      Well to be honest I wouldn't care if I didn't see any of those players again except for Origi who I think will become great

Yea but to let them all go at once...
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #41: Feb 02, 2017 02:19:51 pm
      Sturridge is gone. Hope for his own sake too as he will never get respected at LFC even if he bangs in 10 goals per game. Plus, he is an asset that can easily be sold, so he won't be hanging around come next season.

Mignolet has got to stay imo. He's far better than Karius.

Sakho we know is gone in Summer.
      Moreno, Lucas, Can, Markovic..? not sure who else can reasonably be gotten rid of.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #42: Feb 02, 2017 02:38:00 pm
      Sturridge is gone. Hope for his own sake too as he will never get respected at LFC even if he bangs in 10 goals per game. Plus, he is an asset that can easily be sold, so he won't be hanging around come next season.

Mignolet has got to stay imo. He's far better than Karius.

Sakho we know is gone in Summer.
      Moreno, Lucas, Can, Markovic..? not sure who else can reasonably be gotten rid of.

Sturridge is not respected at LFC? Have you just imagined this or is there tangible proof of what you are claiming...
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #43: Feb 02, 2017 04:26:14 pm
      Sturridge is not respected at LFC? Have you just imagined this or is there tangible proof of what you are claiming...

Probably because people have the audacity to mention his lack of form, pace and the fact he looks a different player to the one we saw a couple of seasons ago.

I loved Danny in his prime, but I won't hold onto the hope that if he is gone that he will miraculously return to his past self!
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #44: Feb 02, 2017 04:34:59 pm

From the coaches e.g. Klopp. From Gerrard. From fans on here.

Plenty of quotes I can pull up. Not really up for dispute is it? I mean.. are you serious?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #45: Feb 02, 2017 04:55:32 pm
      From the coaches e.g. Klopp. From Gerrard. From fans on here.

Plenty of quotes I can pull up. Not really up for dispute is it? I mean.. are you serious?

What are you on about?

Have you considered the amount of time and respect LFC have given him to see if his body will recover from injury after injury.
      Why is that it's because the know he is a top talent and worth preservering with.

It now up to him to show he is up to the challenge of playing the way the manager wants.

The manager is not going to change his philosophy to accommodate Sturridge, which seems to be what you are wanting.
      That might have been a option but no sane person would ever build a team around Danny with his injury record, he is just not reliable.

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #46: Feb 04, 2017 05:02:37 pm
      Mignolet
      Moreno
      Lucas
      Sturridge
      Klavan
      Manninger
      Can
      Randall
      Markovic
      Sakho
      Probably missing a few as well.

I've had enough of this lot.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #47: Feb 04, 2017 05:20:21 pm
      Mignolet
      Moreno
      Lucas
      Sturridge
      Klavan
      Manninger
      Can
      Randall
      Markovic
      Sakho

Not even St Peter has a list that long. Terrifying yet indicative of our problems.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #48: Feb 04, 2017 05:24:14 pm
      Not even St Peter has a list that long. Terrifying yet indicative of our problems.

And it reads the same every season.

Good jesus!
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #49: Feb 04, 2017 06:04:16 pm

That's because for the longest time, we have kept buying average players who would look great every now and then but back to being rubbish for the rest of the season. As supporters we try our best to support our own players and that includes forgetting all their past mistakes as soon as they start hitting a good run of games. That's why we keep finding it tough to get rid of the likes of Mignolet or Lucas (or Skrtel or Johnson and the list goes on). With time our standards on player quality have dropped drastically and now most of us would be satisfied with players from other mid-table PL teams.

Coutinho is by far our best player and even he only plays well for half a season or so.

This runs deeper than players or manager. It's all about $$$$ even if everyone tells you otherwise.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #50: Feb 04, 2017 06:06:50 pm
      OUT:
      FSG

IN:
      Chinese investment firm

Yeah, I'm pretty much fed up.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #51: Feb 04, 2017 06:16:04 pm
      Good for you Harry. 😎 👍

Although here's an observation, for anyone  too thick to comprehend: we definitely wouldn't be looking to the summer (and to be getting rid of players), in January, if we were 13 points clear at the top.  :laugh:

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #52: Feb 04, 2017 06:18:15 pm
      Mignolet
      Moreno
      Lucas
      Sturridge
      Klavan
      Manninger
      Can
      Randall
      Markovic
      Sakho

Pretty damping list but right

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #53: Feb 04, 2017 06:19:38 pm
      Good for you Harry. 😎 👍

Although here's an observation, for anyone  too thick to comprehend: we definitely wouldn't be look to the summer (and to be getting rid of players) if we were 13 points clear at the top.  :laugh:

But surely the points is we aren't 13 points clear
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #54: Feb 04, 2017 06:29:44 pm
      Suddenly everyones sh*t ;D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #55: Feb 04, 2017 06:32:20 pm
      Mignolet
      Moreno
      Sturridge

Simply because they are not first teamers, and when they do start, they show why they are not. And don't try to feed my that "Sturridge is world class sh*te" he used to be, now, nope.

Can
      Lovren

I hear the squad player thing, but no, it doesn't wash with me. Far too inconsistent to be of use to anyone. I remember the Palace match when Lovren got a goal, and he was loved, but his feck up cost us one to start with. Thank you no, too much of this.

Lucas

He scored against Plymouth, his first goal for SEVEN years! Has played a good couple of games in defence, but like Lovren, fecks up too many times and costs us games.

Get rid of them and we have already set the standards. We want success, we DEMAND it, these players are costing us.

As a plus, get rid of these and it gives us a better idea of who we need to replace them.

Valid points but what has been done in the transfer window.....didly squat
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #56: Feb 04, 2017 06:34:17 pm
      What Jürgen wants:

Julian Brandt
      Mahmoud Dahoud

What FSG will get:

Nathan Redmond
      Lee Cattermole
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Feb 04, 2017 06:36:34 pm

But surely the points is we aren't 13 points clear

Er...erm... right... I'm pretty sure that's what I (clearly) inferred buddy and why most sane folk have "written the season" off.  ;D

Obviously not that clearly, says you; eh?   :lmao:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Feb 06, 2017 03:19:00 am
      What Jürgen wants:

Julian Brandt
      Mahmoud Dahoud

What FSG will get:

Nathan Redmond
      Lee Cattermole

How dare u besmirch the honorable Lee Cattermole  :lmao:
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #59: Feb 06, 2017 07:29:16 am
      What Jürgen wants:

Julian Brandt
      Mahmoud Dahoud

What FSG will get:

Nathan Redmond
      Lee Cattermole
      Sad thing is Cattermole would add more fight and leadership than we have, and Redmond has pace and can run with the ball, and could Probably do with both right now, sad times
      7DocUnleashed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 10 
      Reply #60: Feb 06, 2017 12:18:34 pm
      In:
      A World class number 1 GK
      A LB who can challenge Milner
      World Class CB
      A Powerful forward looking and thinking CMF
      A quick Poacher Striker
      A Target man for a Plan B

Out:
      Mignolet – Not good enough
      Sakho – burned his bridges
      Lucas – better days behind him
      Moreno – can’t defend
      Sturridge – with his injuries he can’t be relied on.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #61: Feb 06, 2017 12:30:44 pm
      In:
      A World class number 1 GK
      A LB who can challenge Milner
      World Class CB
      A Powerful forward looking and thinking CMF
      A quick Poacher Striker
      A Target man for a Plan B

Out:
      Mignolet – Not good enough
      Sakho – burned his bridges
      Lucas – better days behind him
      Moreno – can’t defend
      Sturridge – with his injuries he can’t be relied on.

Would add the following to outgoings:

Can - rubbish
      Klavan - not good enough
      Bogdan - rubbish
      Manninger - why did we even sign him?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #62: Feb 06, 2017 01:42:48 pm
      We are threadbare to consider any OUTs, nevertheless to offset our expenditure, to find players that suit Jürgen's high pressing style and lose some shitty ones, I think we can safely say Sakho (£15m), Sturridge (£35m), Moreno (£10m), Lucas (Free), Markovic (Free) are definitely going. Flano, Bogdan, Randall, Wisdom would leave for peanuts. I, and everybody here, wouldnt mind letting go one of the crappy GKs. Mignolet is mostly like to warrant a higher fee, probably close to £10m if we are lucky. So that's 10 right there!

We are IN for a huge turnover this summer, especially if the said 10 departures happen. I know the topic said no discussion on potential INs, so I would just stop at saying what we might be needing.

Top Class GK
      Center Back
      Left Back
      Central Midfielder
      Attacking Midfielder
      Winger
      Versatile Striker

But I have no hope pinned on the above list, cos there is no way we are spending 150 to 200 million in one window! Ah, tough times!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #63: Feb 06, 2017 04:09:24 pm
      With each match it seems the more functional thread would be started with a question of who would you KEEP.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #64: Feb 06, 2017 06:46:58 pm
      With each match it seems the more functional thread would be started with a question of who would you KEEP.

I'd say with the possible exception of Migs our regular starting 11 will and should stay mate.  Sure we need some of them upgrading, GK, LB, CB and maybe a proper striker if Jürgen decides to go back to a 4231 set up. 

I know people are unhappy with the squad and think it's threadbare already therefore we should only be adding to what we have rather than clearing out and starting again but if those players aren't reliable, consistent or good enough then what's the point.  Most of the players I listed barely play and when they do they get slated for being sh*t.

We've had years of buying on a haphazard, scattergun approach to suit 4 different managers, last season Jürgen decided who he felt he could work with and who needed to go, this summer will be no different but then I expect things to settle down somewhat.  That doesn't mean that I believe the squad will be complete but that the mass overhauls won't be so drastic.

Every squad evolves over time but we're at least 1 more summer off just adding 2 or 3 players to ours.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #65: Feb 06, 2017 07:09:45 pm
      I'd say with the possible exception of Migs our regular starting 11 will and should stay mate.  Sure we need some of them upgrading, GK, LB, CB and maybe a proper striker if Jürgen decides to go back to a 4231 set up. 

I know people are unhappy with the squad and think it's threadbare already therefore we should only be adding to what we have rather than clearing out and starting again but if those players aren't reliable, consistent or good enough then what's the point.  Most of the players I listed barely play and when they do they get slated for being sh*t.

We've had years of buying on a haphazard, scattergun approach to suit 4 different managers, last season Jürgen decided who he felt he could work with and who needed to go, this summer will be no different but then I expect things to settle down somewhat.  That doesn't mean that I believe the squad will be complete but that the mass overhauls won't be so drastic.

Every squad evolves over time but we're at least 1 more summer off just adding 2 or 3 players to ours.

I'd broadly agree with this, the majority of them would be useful in the squad but almost every single position in our team needs to be upgraded if we are to seriously challenge in the prem, let alone in Europe. A couple of caveats though, these players can all go at the end of the season, Migs, Can, Lucas, Moreno, they are not even useful as backup and certainly not as part of a first XI.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #66: Feb 06, 2017 07:15:25 pm
      I'd broadly agree with this, the majority of them would be useful in the squad but almost every single position in our team needs to be upgraded if we are to seriously challenge in the prem, let alone in Europe. A couple of caveats though, these players can all go at the end of the season, Migs, Can, Lucas, Moreno, they are not even useful as backup and certainly not as part of a first XI.

Yep they're all on my list as ones I believe will go this summer.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #67: Feb 06, 2017 07:20:32 pm
      Yes. I really mean who will stay in the starting XI. I've already mentioned the four I would jettison (Can, Sakho, Moreno and Sturridge - plus loan players over 21). but we could stand to upgrade the starting lineup at at least six positions. No question about needing more depth being at cross purposes with unloading everybody - we can't and shouldn't do that.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #68: Feb 06, 2017 08:14:51 pm
      Yes. I really mean who will stay in the starting XI. I've already mentioned the four I would jettison (Can, Sakho, Moreno and Sturridge - plus loan players over 21). but we could stand to upgrade the starting lineup at at least six positions. No question about needing more depth being at cross purposes with unloading everybody - we can't and shouldn't do that.

Apart from one or two starters they can all be upgraded on mate but if we upgrade our weakest 3 or 4 positions first, push those currently starting to the bench, we can manage with what we have for now.

Before everyone goes apeshit, we'll definitely buy more than 3 or 4.  It'll be at least the 7 we got last summer, possibly a couple more.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #69: Feb 18, 2017 08:07:24 pm
      Out:
      Mignolet
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Surridge
      Ings

We're short depth, so don't think it makes sense to go wholesale on outgoings
      Mignolet can only go if replaced.
      Based on time played this season, even when fit, we should've cashed in on Sturridge last season. I'm a fan, but there's no point having a player a manager doesn't trust, and won't play in important matches.
      Ings has had a bad run with injuries, and might be harsh, but would sell him while clubs might still feel he has goals in him.
      Moreno, wow, how pear shaped has it gone for him. Terrible defender. How didn't go last summer is still amazing.
      Sakho, still a good defender, hope to get decent money in for him.
      Would not sell Lucas unless he wants to go. Guys like him and Stewart, how can we let them go if not replaced (and there's others that are more important to replace)

In:
      Keeper
      CB
      LB
      Striker x 2 (1 PL starter, 1 punt)
      Creative midfielder
      Maybe 1 or 2 more.

Would argue Mignolet has had better season than Karius, but would still keep Karius and bring in somone for Migs. Joe Hart would do for me. Q uproar..
      CB to replace Sahko.
      LB to replace Moreno. Freeing up Milner for midfield, another option in there. Gomez could be backup LB, though might need to loose a few pound.
      Strikers - we need one that Jürgen will ACTUALLY play. Won't get Aquero. If new guy plays PL games, we're already improved on this season. Then take a punt on a young striker.
      Creative midfielder, at least one. Missed Cou too much when out.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #70: Feb 18, 2017 09:46:20 pm
      Im not so sure Ings will be moved on in the summer, given that he cost so little, is still young, and has impressed when he has played, makes me believe Jürgen will give him a chance.
      Sturridge needs replaced by someone with an eye for goal, a Diego Costa type player (ability, not temperament) would be ideal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #71: Feb 18, 2017 10:08:37 pm
      Sturridge needs replaced by someone with an eye for goal

Have you really just said this mate? Taking the injuries away and basing it purely on ability, he is by far our best and most natural goal scorer and up there with the best in the league at finishing.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #72: Feb 18, 2017 10:44:19 pm
      Have you really just said this mate? Taking the injuries away and basing it purely on ability, he is by far our best and most natural goal scorer and up there with the best in the league at finishing.

Sorry. Maybe I should've been clearer. I mean that because it looks certain that Sturridge is going, we need someone equally as lethal in front of goal.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #73: Feb 18, 2017 10:52:02 pm

The best in the league?

Not really this season, be it starting or coming off the bench.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #74: Feb 18, 2017 11:22:26 pm
      The best in the league?

Not really this season, be it starting or coming off the bench.

I didn't say he was the best, I said up there with the best and the fact he has better than 1:2 goals to game for us shows that. Doesn't matter if it's this season or not, or whether it's starting or not, it doesn't take anything away from the fact he is one of the most natural finishers in the league. His goal in the final for example, at the end of last season, that was top class.

Who do you think is better than him in the league at finishing? Aguero who take about 10+ shots a game but will get 1 goal and miss loads of great chances? Ibra who granted is a great finisher too, like Sturridge but he is no better than Sturridge at finishing, in fact he has missed a lot of glorious chances this season, Benteke? Kane? All scorers but no more ability than Sturridge when it comes to it, the only difference is they play regular football.

Sorry. Maybe I should've been clearer. I mean that because it looks certain that Sturridge is going, we need someone equally as lethal in front of goal.

Fair enough fella.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #75: Feb 21, 2017 08:41:49 am
      Someone to replace Mignolet and Karius in goal as both are error prone.

A centerback that will compliment Matip because, well..... Klavan and Lovren are error prone.

A striker that can actually score goals. Firmino works hard for the team and all that, but it is hard to imagine that he only has 9 goals in 29 starts.

A midfielder or two that can dictate play and break the lines. Any team that cedes possession has a chance of getting something from a game, and more and more teams especially this year have sat back and waited to hit on the counter which is something that has paid dividends. The system at current is purely press oriented.

Two fullbacks. Clyne offers almost nothing going forward and his defending is regressing, Milner offers no width and is fading.

Can, Lucas, Sakho, Bogdan, Manninger, Moreno, Sturridge make the most sense as departures. Would honestly love to see Sturridge remain, it is perplexing that he does not get more games.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #76: Feb 21, 2017 09:57:28 am
      I see there are a lot of murmurings surrounding JWH's visit to Barcelona recently, with many suggesting sorting out details of  a Coutinho transfer in the summer, hence the new contract. I must admit, it did smell of the Suarez contract scenario to me, but I'm not always optimistic when it comes to our owners and money...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #77: Feb 21, 2017 10:29:46 am
      I see there are a lot of murmurings surrounding JWH's visit to Barcelona recently, with many suggesting sorting out details of  a Coutinho transfer in the summer, hence the new contract. I must admit, it did smell of the Suarez contract scenario to me, but I'm not always optimistic when it comes to our owners and money...

Unless FSG were out there to discuss resigning Suarez the Coutinho link is more believable..
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #78: Feb 21, 2017 12:51:53 pm
      I don't know why people find it so hard to understand that Coutinho likes it here,  he loves his teammates, and he signed a new deal to show that he's staying. Sometimes I think people can't be happy unless they are unhappy.

JWH at Barcelona...has anyone thought that it might be JWH showing them how to "live within their means" with regards to stadium expansion?

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #79: Feb 21, 2017 01:05:06 pm
      I don't see many from the 1st team squad leaving, 1 or 2 max, but I'm sure plenty of the fringe players will be moved on again.

Ill predict lucas & sturridge leave of their own accord to seek more starts.

This summer is more about adding 4 or 5 top players, to really push the 1st 11, and probably break into the 1st 11.

Minimum 100mill will be spent.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #80: Feb 21, 2017 01:20:57 pm
      I don't know why people find it so hard to understand that Coutinho likes it here,  he loves his teammates, and he signed a new deal to show that he's staying. Sometimes I think people can't be happy unless they are unhappy.

JWH at Barcelona...has anyone thought that it might be JWH showing them how to "live within their means" with regards to stadium expansion?

That's been my guess as to why he's there. It's the only thing that seems to make sense to me in all honesty.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #81: Feb 21, 2017 02:17:59 pm

Why would they need to expand the largest capacity stadium in Europe? And why would they need the advice of JWH?

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #82: Feb 21, 2017 07:41:34 pm
      Why would they need to expand the largest capacity stadium in Europe? And why would they need the advice of JWH?

They are looking to upgrade and expand the ground, fsg have done it at fenway and anfield
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #83: Feb 22, 2017 12:11:06 am
      Out:
      Mignolet
      Bogdan
      Sakho
      Klavan
      Moreno
      Can
      Sturridge
      Ings
      Markovic
      Wisdom
      Flanagan
      Stewart

In:
      GK
      LB
      CB
      CDM
      CM box to box
      RW/LW
      ST

Lucas stays..

GK:NEW Karius
      LB: NEW Milner
      CB: Matip Lovren
      CB: NEW Lucas Gomes
      RB: Clyne TAA
      CDM: Hendo NEW
      CM: Wijnaldum NEW
      CM: Lallana Coutinho
      LW: Coutinho Woodburn
      ST: NEW Firmino Origi
      RW: Mane NEW
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #84: Feb 22, 2017 12:43:17 am
      Very harsh saying Ings should go looking at some who have been here much longer lad deserves a chance to see if he can recover from his injuries
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #85: Feb 22, 2017 08:38:04 am

Minimum £50m will be sold if not more.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #86: Feb 24, 2017 01:01:26 pm
      Out of this season's seven new signings - we could easily get shot of Karius, Manninger and Klavan, who have had very little positive impact; give Grujic and Matip another chance after stop-start (mostly stop) seasons and keep Mane and Gini.

I guess you could say, for the first time in a long time, that we got what we paid for. 8)

More goalkeepers and centre-halves needed?

F**k only knows how much we will have spent before we eventually replace the "overpaid" [and] "poor" Reina and the "overpaid" [and] "injury prone" Agger, with better.  :o
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #87: Feb 24, 2017 02:31:16 pm
      Coutinho isn't good enough to play for Barca yet
      He's far too inconsistent.

Give him a couple of years however, and in his prime, he will be.

Quick Reply