Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (8.3%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (0.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.8%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      59 (54.1%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      28 (25.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Feb 04, 2017 09:53:48 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31092 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Jan 31, 2017 11:56:01 pm
      Only three games in February for us I heard on match commentary  and the CL kicks back in for some teams.

All to play for. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #714: Feb 01, 2017 12:26:02 am
      Chavs bring on the likes of Cesc and Pedro as their subs.

When we can compete that sort of quality then maybe some of our fan base will realise how difficult it is competing with your hands tied behind your back.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #715: Feb 01, 2017 12:30:22 am
      Some may disagree but a Costa type striker and we walk away comfortably with 3 pts after that second half performance. Maybe that's why they are top and we are where we are.

BTW for all those saying we looked knackered where did that energy come from?

Only Clyne from the back 4 walked away with any credibility after that performance, maybe Matip,can be forgiven having just come back from injury.

The experiment of Jimmy as a full back has run its course Jürgen buy a f**king LB  in the summer.
      Lovren well hopefully we upgrade next year.

Much better second half from the midfield in the second half in particular Hendo and Gini, Can was still pretty useless in attack.

Coutinho is obviously still finding his feet but great to see Mane back.

Confident of going on a unbeaten run now that our best players are back as long as they stay fit.

I can't stand Costa, but if he was wearing a Liverpool shirt, I think I can change my feelings. Nine times out of 10 in front of goal, he scores, plain and simple .

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #716: Feb 01, 2017 12:34:22 am
      Nearly lost my voice tonight. Felt we could have won and from where I was standing, it looked like a seriously soft penalty.

No criticism from me tonight for any of the players. Not saying they were great but I felt everyone put a serious shift in. It's always harder when things are not going your way but the attitude was very good, or so I felt during the match.

I feel so proud to be standing in the Kop for a match like this. It really is a dream come true for me. It pisses me off to no end to see so many people who just take it for granted and don't play their part.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #717: Feb 01, 2017 12:39:03 am
      I can't stand Costa, but if he was wearing a Liverpool shirt, I think I can change my feelings. Nine times out of 10 in front of goal, he scores, plain and simple .

Know where you're coming from, but if he played for the reds, I think i'd give up on football. He's the slyest dirtiest f**ker in football at the mo. He's purposely trying to gouge peoples eyes. He then makes out it was an accident if he thinks the ref was looking.
      Horrible, horibble person. I'd love to have played against him. I swear if he tried to get my eyes like he does, i'd purposely try to break his legs. I'd do  a 10 week ban to get the dirty little f**ker out of the game. Well suited to the rent boys though, and they're welcome to him.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #718: Feb 01, 2017 02:00:59 am
      mad game that. pace was unreal but very low on quality.
      thought matip and lovren were so odd. just mad. give matip the benefit like...but good grief.

kante's ability to win the ball back is absolutely outrageous.

as i thought before the game, they arent anything special. just very efficient, very well coached and dont make daft mistakes.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #719: Feb 01, 2017 02:03:09 am

Plus hes a workhorse too, something Sturridge and Origi (to an extent) do not provide.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #720: Feb 01, 2017 02:19:33 am
      costa in our team would improve us. no doubt about it. he has traces of suarez's all in style of play that our existing forwards lack.  its the damn i only have 10% to win the ball but im going in mentality

also huge shout out to hendo and imo migs. he takes alot of flack and yes some is justified but he is arguably one of the better peno stop keepers in the league imo
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #721: Feb 01, 2017 03:25:34 am
      I'm ok with that result still keeps us in the hunt our confidence will grow after that.

Do Hull and Arsenal to beat the Chavs were 7 points and right back in it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #722: Feb 01, 2017 07:34:01 am
      Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool drop points. Only two teams are happy with that, one play in blue, the other in red

Unbelievable

Tidy performance, ok result, need an out and out striker on the pitch
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #723: Feb 01, 2017 07:39:55 am
      Not a bad result but 3 points would of done our cause more good.We need to play with that intensity every match but put the ball in the opposition net more often.I thought Migs did well to save the pen and to my mind he earned us the point.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #724: Feb 01, 2017 08:04:14 am
      I still think we are passing the ball sideways and backwards too much. Yes, Chelsea are sound defensively and defend well, but we need to move the ball around quicker, just like we did at the start of the season. If we do have to pass sideways/backwards, at least get the ball to feet quicker.

There are still 15 games to play so I'm hoping we secure ECL at least.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #725: Feb 01, 2017 08:09:16 am
      Know where you're coming from, but if he played for the reds, I think i'd give up on football. He's the slyest dirtiest f**ker in football at the mo. He's purposely trying to gouge peoples eyes. He then makes out it was an accident if he thinks the ref was looking.
      Horrible, horibble person. I'd love to have played against him. I swear if he tried to get my eyes like he does, i'd purposely try to break his legs. I'd do  a 10 week ban to get the dirty little f**ker out of the game. Well suited to the rent boys though, and they're welcome to him.

Costa is suited to play in counter attacking teams, for possession based teams he struggles ,jjust watch him play for spain, plus his injury record is poor and is a hypochondriac
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #726: Feb 01, 2017 08:19:02 am
      I thought it was a great team performance. Henderson was my MOTM, i thought he was superb in the second half and it seemed a clear tactic to play the ball into the far post early, just a pity we couldnt make more of it.
      Firmino was the one who frustrated me more coz of the 2 clear chances he missed. In such tight games, you really need to be clinical and i thought JK should have subbed him off earlier in the half.

Special mention to Mignolet for the penalty save and also to Chelsea's Kante, who i thought was absolutely immense. Swap Can for Kante and we win this league :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #727: Feb 01, 2017 08:21:44 am
      I still think we are passing the ball sideways and backwards too much. Yes, Chelsea are sound defensively and defend well, but we need to move the ball around quicker, just like we did at the start of the season. If we do have to pass sideways/backwards, at least get the ball to feet quicker.

I totally agree with you,with all our passing we seem to make so little progress against a packed opposition
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #728: Feb 01, 2017 08:43:03 am
      Thought we were much the better side throughout - but we still lacked that fluidity in the front 3

Drop Can to the bench, Lallana back to his best position in the midfield trio, and mane back up top for Hull, and lets get motoring again
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #729: Feb 01, 2017 08:47:52 am
      Still pissed off with the officials last night.

That free kick where Hazard changes his direction of travel away from the direction of the ball to buy contact from Lallana, top class cheating, and to rub it in the little f**ker always lets out a girly scream like he has been taken down with a double barrel.

Second one again Costa is already going to ground and has actually left the ball behind him looking for contact with Matip.

One area of the game the plastics are miles ahead of our honest lot in cheating free kicks and pens out of sh*t officials.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #730: Feb 01, 2017 08:58:25 am
      I totally agree with you,with all our passing we seem to make so little progress against a packed opposition
      Agreed Billy.

Also, if we can move that ball around quicker, it forces the opposition to move quicker in order to counter it and thus expend more energy.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #731: Feb 01, 2017 09:31:05 am
      1 point is better than none, and before the game it looked like it could be another loss. It wasn't. Relief all round, but that doesn't make it acceptable that we didn't get the win.

I read the exact same comments after the Utd match. Instead of looking at the win that ought to have been our, I read numerous posts congratulating the lads on the draw. It was a game that was going to turn us around, and send us on our way to winning the title. Myself and a couple of other guys pointed out that it was not acceptable to draw when we ought to have won, and things were not so rosy.

Jump forward a couple of weeks to last night, and all of a sudden, because of our atrocious form going into the game, a point is heralded as a great point. It's claimed that we will use this game to go forward with a run of game to have a go at the title. Hold on..

Before the game, the "title" talk relied on us beating Chelsea. Now all of a sudden, the plan is that we draw with Chelsea and go on and beat Hull and Arsenal. Let's stop changing things based on another poor result. We should have got the 3 points last night. There's no changing that reality. It is yet again another disappointing result. Let's not pretend that it is a sign of things to come, because we've seen those signs before.

Again, Can is playing. Again, Firmino is our sole centre forward - playing through the middle and all that. Again, key substitutions are too late - I mean, what was Origi going to do with 3 minutes? Nothing has changed. It is another case of points lost.

Are we all of a sudden likely to beat Hull and Arsenal when we couldn't beat Swansea and Chelsea?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #732: Feb 01, 2017 09:37:29 am
      Are we all of a sudden likely to beat Hull and Arsenal when we couldn't beat Swansea and Chelsea?

Because football works like that, does it? Last time we played Arsenal we beat them, just before we got beat by Burnley. The Swansea game means F**k all now. It was an improved performance and we finally have all key players available
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #733: Feb 01, 2017 09:39:03 am
      1 point is better than none, and before the game it looked like it could be another loss. It wasn't. Relief all round, but that doesn't make it acceptable that we didn't get the win.

I read the exact same comments after the Utd match. Instead of looking at the win that ought to have been our, I read numerous posts congratulating the lads on the draw. It was a game that was going to turn us around, and send us on our way to winning the title. Myself and a couple of other guys pointed out that it was not acceptable to draw when we ought to have won, and things were not so rosy.

Jump forward a couple of weeks to last night, and all of a sudden, because of our atrocious form going into the game, a point is heralded as a great point. It's claimed that we will use this game to go forward with a run of game to have a go at the title. Hold on..

Before the game, the "title" talk relied on us beating Chelsea. Now all of a sudden, the plan is that we draw with Chelsea and go on and beat Hull and Arsenal. Let's stop changing things based on another poor result. We should have got the 3 points last night. There's no changing that reality. It is yet again another disappointing result. Let's not pretend that it is a sign of things to come, because we've seen those signs before.

Again, Can is playing. Again, Firmino is our sole centre forward - playing through the middle and all that. Again, key substitutions are too late - I mean, what was Origi going to do with 3 minutes? Nothing has changed. It is another case of points lost.

Understand what you're saying but for me it comes down to context and the overall perceptions garnered over the last 30 days. It's been nothing short of embarrassing. Losing 2-1 to Wolves?

But then to turn up and (for me at least) dominate possession and look the better team against high-flying Chelsea, that's when I think it was a very good point. Ok, perhaps not so much a very good point, but a very good performance that (despite yours and other people's misgivings) can serve as a platform for us to kick on with.

A run of poor performances are not suddenly forgotten by a good performance against the champions elect, but neither is a run of poor performances grounds for unending negative reactions.

I'd have taken that point before kick off and I'm guessing so would Chelsea
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #734: Feb 01, 2017 09:44:38 am
      Yet another gifted goal to the opposition, when is this kind of thing finally going to fade out of our play? When we have the players.

Not a bad night all in all . Chelsea play Arsenal early on saturday , we will know the result before we play , so if we don't go all out ( i mean throwing the f***in kitchen sink in ) to beat Hull , then we will know once and for all that a lot of these players need moving on in the summer or this kind of bouncy , bouncy form will continue.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #735: Feb 01, 2017 09:47:14 am
      Diego - last time we played Chelsea, we beat them too.

Rush - the performance was of course better than recent weeks, but what I'm saying is we've seen good performances before. We have the tendency to up our games for the big ones.

Sure, the point is better than nothing (especially given that penalty save), and yes we have our players back and ready, but we still appear to be facing the same problems: a lack of goals, and a likelihood of making key mistakes. That makes it more difficult for me to believe that we will suddenly be fine and able to win games. The fundamental problems still appear to be there, and the key change has been the return of Mane who suddenly we are reliant on.

I don't mind hoping and looking for the positives, but a bit more realism wouldn't go amiss..  ;D

Quick Reply