Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (8.3%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (0.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.8%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      59 (54.1%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      28 (25.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Feb 04, 2017 09:53:48 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31554 times
      welease_bwian
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Jan 31, 2017 10:13:13 pm
      Motm Hendo, but only because of his saving tackle and that pass to Milner which resulted in an assist and goal.

Tough crowd.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #668: Jan 31, 2017 10:13:32 pm
      Oops, looks like you are a bit upset again after reading criticism of the game. In your world, this was another great performance.

Your obsession with Chelsea is a bit much. Are you a closet Chelsea fan? Possibly why you were happy with that result.

:jackoff:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #669: Jan 31, 2017 10:13:44 pm
      To be fair, with a better central midfielder alongside Gini and Hendo, we'd have won. I really do believe that.

But we had Emre Can.

Totally SoaG, thought that was one of the better CM performances of the season in the second half from Jordan and Gini but they had absolutely nothing in front of them in terms of Can. He was literally turning around on the spot at points just watching the play pass him by.

I'd have laughed if it wasn't one of our players, as it was I was fuming.

I've defended Emre plenty in the past but this season has been shocking for the lad and I really hope he's not Jürgen's blind spot because personally I think he should be out of the side for absolutely anyone.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #670: Jan 31, 2017 10:14:01 pm
      Scrappy enough game, very wet, ball given away a lot on both sides.  Settle for the point overall.
      Migs made up for a bit of a mishap not being ready for the free kick, tho might not have got to it anyway, was right in the corner. Great save from the peno, would've been rotten to have seen Costa score there.
      Fair play to Gini for popping up and scoring a vital goal, we REALLY needed that. Nice early head across from Milner, and cross from Hendo.
      Cou and Firmino weren't at the races tonight, not at it up front, Bob with two great chances, how does he not score one of those :(
      Mane did nothing really when he came on, tough for him tho coming back so quick - Origi only got few mins - so no bench impact tonight. Maybe Jürgen could've made some changes, and earlier, but then again not sure they'd have made a difference.

Would've been great to win, you could see they were happy with a draw. We put in a lot of effort, and came away with something from the runaway leaders so in the context of January, that's not bad in comparison to what's gone before.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 884 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Chelsea
      Reply #671: Jan 31, 2017 10:14:32 pm
      Be honest lads.
      A proper striker up front wins that game.

What he said.

But he is not on the end of the abuse..  :roll:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #672: Jan 31, 2017 10:15:45 pm
      What he said.

But he is not on the end of the abuse..  :roll:

Why would he be? nobody questions Racers motives or his support of the club.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1630 
      Reply #673: Jan 31, 2017 10:17:01 pm
      Start of season if you'd have said we'd take four off the chavs we would have taken it , tha chance Bobby missed a proper striker nails that , that's the big difference in these type of games .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #674: Jan 31, 2017 10:17:15 pm
      Well they're pretty terrible.  We played them off the park away, and today they looked mid table.  And yet somehow they are ten points clear. 

I agree. The fact the league this season will be won for the second time in a row by a side not in Europe just proves that. Unthinkable a decade ago. 

Premier League entered its peak 8-10 years ago with probably the seasons between 2007-2009 the ultimate peak. When the likes of Ronaldo and Alonso left the league in 2009 it was the start of the decline.

Neither Chelsea or Liverpool's sides match the teams managed by Mourinho or Rafa a near decade ago.

We don't come close to that side and it's to FSG's eternal shame that the squad under the two crooked Cowboys was of deeper value than the one Klopp puts out today
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #675: Jan 31, 2017 10:17:15 pm

That's gotta keep him busy for a few minutes  ;D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #676: Jan 31, 2017 10:17:40 pm
      We're 3 quality first team players away from being a better side than the Chavs.

We badly need to sign these quality players in the Summer.

It's just a shame we didn't do this last Summer.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 884 
      Reply #677: Jan 31, 2017 10:17:50 pm
      What a bunch of odd Liverpool "fans" in here.

We draw a game that we ought to win.. and you're all talking about a Chelsea player. Even showing his photo.

:f_doh:

Let's get back on topic eh? ----> LIVERPOOL FC <-------

That was an awful performance yet again. The passing was sloppy. We were second to the loose balls. Origi coming on in injury time.. I can go on. It was bad.

We cannot be satisfied with a single point in a game that we ought to have claimed all 3. Come on, this is Liverpool !!!!! Get some pride back. Unbelievable lowering of expectations from some of you Chelsea-player-obsessed fans.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #678: Jan 31, 2017 10:18:58 pm
      Haven't posted properly in a while, here it goes.

That game was something else, we get on top and then they score, we get on top again and then they get a penalty, just was not meant to be tonight unfortunately. I took two big things away from this game, one Jordan Henderson when he wants to be, can be the Midfielder we need to make us tick, his initiative got us a goal and his ability to calm the midfield and distribute play should not go un-noticed. Secondly, Klopp either didn't want to take the risk of winning it late or doesn't have trust in either Origi or Sturridge because for me one of them should have came on the same time as Mane if not before as Firmino was clearly out of sorts.

The league for me was never up for grabs, simply because i look at Tottenham and think our squad is nowhere near as strong in depth or as consistent as theirs and they are second FFS. Nevertheless, tonight was a good confidence builder for the team, players like Gini and Henderson can take pride from that performance. However, near enough everyone else baring Mignolet were below par for me. That said the atmosphere was great and it reflected in our pressing game. I am hoping the return of Mane and Coutinho (being fully fit) can have us striking fear into defenses again.

The season is not over, we need to fight for every game that is to come, or we might just see ourselves outside of the top four for yet another season.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #679: Jan 31, 2017 10:22:28 pm
      Totally SoaG, thought that was one of the better CM performances of the season in the second half from Jordan and Gini but they had absolutely nothing in front of them in terms of Can. He was literally turning around on the spot at points just watching the play pass him by.

I've defended Emre plenty in the past but this season has been shocking for the lad and I really hope he's not Jürgen's blind spot because personally I think he should be out of the side for absolutely anyone.

I'm desperately sick fed up of Can. We've said it all until we're blue in the face, but Klopp just cannot continue playing him.

We were unbelievable when he wasn't in the squad - Lallana in midfield for next weekend please.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #680: Jan 31, 2017 10:23:49 pm

That was one of Emre's better performances as well and it was still far from standard or anything of value. For all the criticism of our forwards today they weren't helped by the productless Can who's impotency and lack of libido would have made even a nun embarrassed for him.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #681: Jan 31, 2017 10:24:31 pm
      What is Jürgen's problem with Sturridge? He is far and away our best striker. OK he gets injured quite a lot but he hasn't been injured for weeks, and if the boss thinks that Origi or Firmino are better than Studge, then I think he has a flaw. Who would you sooner have when a chance comes along?
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,327 posts | 280 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Chelsea
      Reply #682: Jan 31, 2017 10:24:48 pm
      Be honest lads.
      A proper striker up front wins that game.
      Seems Klopp doesn't rate any of the ones he has at his disposal to win him a game.

Sturridge's days must surely be numbered.

To be fair, with a better central midfielder alongside Gini and Hendo, we'd have won. I really do believe that.

But we had Emre Can.

Two statements absolutely spot on.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #683: Jan 31, 2017 10:25:00 pm
      Some may disagree but a Costa type striker and we walk away comfortably with 3 pts after that second half performance. Maybe that's why they are top and we are where we are.

BTW for all those saying we looked knackered where did that energy come from?

Only Clyne from the back 4 walked away with any credibility after that performance, maybe Matip,can be forgiven having just come back from injury.

The experiment of Jimmy as a full back has run its course Jürgen buy a f**king LB  in the summer.
      Lovren well hopefully we upgrade next year.

Much better second half from the midfield in the second half in particular Hendo and Gini, Can was still pretty useless in attack.

Coutinho is obviously still finding his feet but great to see Mane back.

Confident of going on a unbeaten run now that our best players are back as long as they stay fit.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #684: Jan 31, 2017 10:25:09 pm
      That was one of Emre's better performances as well and it was still far from standard or anything of value. For all the criticism of our forwards today they weren't helped by the productless Can who's impotency and lack of libido would have made even a nun embarrassed for him.

I think Emre is fine as a #2 or #3 off the bench...hopefully nabbing someone like Dahoud this Summer will accomplish that.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 884 
      Reply #685: Jan 31, 2017 10:26:59 pm
      What is Jürgen's problem with Sturridge? He is far and away our best striker. OK he gets injured quite a lot but he hasn't been injured for weeks, and if the boss thinks that Origi or Firmino are better than Studge, then I think he has a flaw. Who would you sooner have when a chance comes along?

These lads in here want Firmino. They didn't want to beat Chelsea. They are delighted with a draw. That way, Chelsea win the league.

Yet they have the audacity to question me - who is angry that we didn't beat them and close the gap to win the title for LFC.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #686: Jan 31, 2017 10:29:18 pm
      Simple, dont give a F**k how we played. It was a win only match at home, against the side to beat if we are serious about winning the league.

sh*t result, no two ways of looking at it. We need to do better, and fast, this rough patch is destroying us, we will miss all this lost points in the end

Rant over
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,327 posts | 280 
      Reply #687: Jan 31, 2017 10:30:13 pm

There is no doubt Sturridge does himself no favours sometimes, but as a goal threat he is ten times better than Firmino, he really frustrates me.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #688: Jan 31, 2017 10:30:23 pm
      Some may disagree but a Costa type striker and we walk away comfortably with 3 pts after that second half performance. Maybe that's why they are top and we are where we are.

BTW for all those saying we looked knackered where did that energy come from?

Man I would love Costa at LFC, gutted we couldn't get him a few seasons ago when we met the release clause.

As for the energy, Chelsea didn't sit nearly as deep as the recent bus parkers (the top sides can't bring themselves to play like that unless they are managed by Mourinho) so it meant we actually had something to press when they had the ball.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #689: Jan 31, 2017 10:33:00 pm

Nobody's gonna disagree with that mate. He's the best striker in the league this season.

Quick Reply