Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Is the title still possible?

Read 6972 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,220 posts | 2803 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Is the title still possible?
      Feb 03, 2017 01:53:12 pm
      The gloomy month of January is finally over. We are out of the cups and 10 points adrift of the leaders sitting in 4th.

Our early season form had us thinking the title might be on. January had us thinking will we even get top 4. But is the title still realistic? Several aspects will come in to play. Let's look at them

1. How many of our 15 games must we win and are we capable of winning them?

2. Chelsea. 10 points is a big gap. Will they drop enough to let us back in, assuming we fo our own work.

On part 1 being out of the cups might help. 15 games isn't a lot. Spurs and Arsenal at home city away and a derby among them. What do we need to do here? Is going undefeated a must? I think a minimum of 13 wins will be required.

Point 2 Chelsea.can they sustain the form? Arsenal and city to go to them and a trip to Utd. Is it possible 9 points could be clawed back here? Maybe a tricky London derby or 2 will slip them up.

Perhaps if we keep plugging away and keep some pressure on they will crack somewhere? A bonus for us I must add is that Arsenal come to us before a 2nd leg tie against Bayern. City come to us after a 2nd leg away tie at Monaco. Two of our hardest opposition coming after they have had tough games days before!!

Clutching or reason to be slightly optimistic?
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2017 04:30:40 pm by JD »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: is the title still possible?
      Reply #1: Feb 03, 2017 02:01:59 pm
      Didn't think it was ever possible at the state of the season. We've done incredibly well to be in the position we're in given our squad, but the lack of depth was always likely to be our downfall over the entirety of the season. You can't expect to go through the whole campaign without injuries, especially with our luck.
      With only 15 games left, and only one per week, it's possible to finish a high as second, which would be some turnaround from Last season, but the title is unlikely.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Reply #2: Feb 03, 2017 02:37:23 pm
      Yes.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #3: Feb 03, 2017 02:46:23 pm
      Let's see if we can beat Hull first.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Feb 03, 2017 03:04:08 pm
      Absolutely it is. 

One game a week till the end of the season so plenty of time for Jürgen to get us back into that free flowing, sumptuous play again with lots of rest and recouperation in between and all our main players back fit and available.

One thing about this league is that anyone can suffer a loss at any time, the chavs haven't just got big games against their big rivals like Arsenal, City and the scum but have tricky games like Burnley, Stoke, West Brom and Everton away so they will drop points somewhere but if they don't then them beating those rivals helps us to go back above them and stay there.

Concentrate on ourselves, keep picking those 3 points up and anything can happen. 

We may well fall short in the end but 2nd is still possible and would be huge considering where we came from and gives us a massive boost going into the summer and next season.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #5: Feb 03, 2017 03:17:01 pm
      Possible, yes but not in our hands. It would take an unprecedented Chelsea crash for them to throw the league away at this stage. Let's just be realistic here for a moment, they are ten points clear, with an eight point goal difference. That means they have to lose four games of the next fifteen games between now and the end of the season. It's highly unlikely they're going to do that. We, on the other hand, cannot afford to lose one of the next fifteen games.

So can we win it? Mathematically it's possible so all we can do is win the next fifteen games and see where we are come the end of the season, but the important thing is not to give up and keep chasing Chelsea down until the final whistle is blown on the final day, just in case the impossible actually does happen.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Feb 03, 2017 03:42:31 pm
      We cannot lose another game
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #7: Feb 03, 2017 04:15:27 pm
      Mathematically yes

Realistically nah
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #8: Feb 03, 2017 04:20:31 pm
      Mathematically possible but realistically impossible.

We haven't won a league game this year.

Don't think we will get to 80 points and I think Chelsea will push very close or just past 90.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Feb 03, 2017 04:25:01 pm
      Technically still can but realistically I think we all know it won't happen. Chelsea are just too good at the moment and taking their chances whilst we get a good result and follow it up with some really poor ones.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1272 
      Re: Is the title still possible?
      Reply #10: Feb 03, 2017 04:59:40 pm

Don't think we will get to 80 points and I think Chelsea will push very close or just past 90.

We didn't win a league game in January 2009 but we ended up giving the league a good go in the end.

It's the old adage from Shankly: 'Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.' Just have to aim as high as possible.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2017 05:26:39 pm
      On paper Chelsea should walk it but I have this funny feeling that teams will figure out how to beat them, ie put in some bloody crosses. As long as we can get our groove back, which I see no reason that we can't, then I think we can run them damned close for the title.
      I think Chelsea's game against Arsenal is huge, if they win that game then I think its game over for the chasing pack.

In all likelihood I think we will either be 2nd or 3rd which will be fantastic progression for us and with a good summer of recruitment then maybe next season could finally be our season  but I would love it to be this season.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #12: Feb 03, 2017 05:33:15 pm
      I don't think the chavs will drop many points now but we should be looking to get the 3rd or 2nd spot for that straight into the group stages of the CL.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,220 posts | 2803 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Feb 03, 2017 05:35:56 pm
      I actually think Chelsea will drop points but will we do what we must???
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: Feb 03, 2017 05:43:43 pm

Exactly where I am too mate. Chelsea are too far over the hill to think it's realistic. We might manage around 2 points per game or a touch over, that'll put us on 76-80 points. That's not going to win the title and neither are we.
      Tadders

• 6,766 posts | 570 
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2017 05:55:56 pm
      Chelsea will piss it, we have blown our chance.

Swansea at home killed us
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2017 06:23:58 pm
      We didn't win a league game in January 2009 but we ended up giving the league a good go in the end.

It's the old adage from Shankly: 'Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.' Just have to aim as high as possible.

We may not have but after the same number of games in that season, the difference was two points, not ten. No one is saying we shouldn't try to overhaul the points gap, we're just being realistic about our chances.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2017 06:31:37 pm

I'm going with this.

Optimistic but realistic .

Tadders said it . Swansea was damaging .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Feb 03, 2017 06:52:25 pm
      Chelsea will piss it, we have blown our chance.

Swansea at home killed us

Ach mate, get up aff yer knees !!

Mate, I'm still selling that rope if your interested, I'll even sell it to you on hp, so you can't lose, except of course your very existence ,
      We're still in this race, and of course we can still f***in win it, and until it's mathematically impossible I'll keep believing,

I've said it before I'll say it again, chavs will drop points no doubt about that, their saving grace could be no European football just like ourselves,

Your obviously still in the doubters camp, but there is still time for you to change, and resell that rope !

BELIEVE!!!!!!

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #19: Feb 03, 2017 07:19:17 pm
      Exactly where I am too mate. Chelsea are too far over the hill to think it's realistic. We might manage around 2 points per game or a touch over, that'll put us on 76-80 points. That's not going to win the title and neither are we.

This stage last year Leicester were top with 47pts. Our January wobble and 46 pts wouldn't have mattered then.

But when a team's on a freaky 56 pts then you can't have an off period.

For the second time in 4 years Liverpool have picked the wrong season to have a go.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Feb 03, 2017 07:32:59 pm
      This stage last year Leicester were top with 47pts. Our January wobble and 46 pts wouldn't have mattered then.

But when a team's on a freaky 56 pts then you can't have an off period.

For the second time in 4 years Liverpool have picked the wrong season to have a go.

I think were going to finish above 80 pts, and I think when that becomes closer to a reality the boss will get pretty pragmatic in the way he approaches games the last 2 months of the season.....we went all out Europa last season and ended up losing a CL spot by a very easily reachable 4pts when we started playing reserve sides against the likes of Newcastle and others.

He will go all out for maximum points of course but if we are away and tied with 20 minutes left he will look to be pragmatic vs. throwing caution to the wind. We have a far more favorable schedule than everyone else and I do think we could go put a good 7-9 match streak in the mix here.

Jürgen/Squad do quite well when they have prep time and that is something we will have in spades over the next few months.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #21: Feb 03, 2017 07:51:07 pm
      It ain't over yet lots of points to play for and I can't see any fat bint warbling yet 👍
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Feb 03, 2017 08:06:54 pm
      It's not im possible, will say that much.

Like someone said, let's beat Hull first.  Ask me after that.

Quick Reply