Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Is the title still possible?

Read 6937 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Is the title still possible?
      Feb 03, 2017 01:53:12 pm
      The gloomy month of January is finally over. We are out of the cups and 10 points adrift of the leaders sitting in 4th.

Our early season form had us thinking the title might be on. January had us thinking will we even get top 4. But is the title still realistic? Several aspects will come in to play. Let's look at them

1. How many of our 15 games must we win and are we capable of winning them?

2. Chelsea. 10 points is a big gap. Will they drop enough to let us back in, assuming we fo our own work.

On part 1 being out of the cups might help. 15 games isn't a lot. Spurs and Arsenal at home city away and a derby among them. What do we need to do here? Is going undefeated a must? I think a minimum of 13 wins will be required.

Point 2 Chelsea.can they sustain the form? Arsenal and city to go to them and a trip to Utd. Is it possible 9 points could be clawed back here? Maybe a tricky London derby or 2 will slip them up.

Perhaps if we keep plugging away and keep some pressure on they will crack somewhere? A bonus for us I must add is that Arsenal come to us before a 2nd leg tie against Bayern. City come to us after a 2nd leg away tie at Monaco. Two of our hardest opposition coming after they have had tough games days before!!

Clutching or reason to be slightly optimistic?
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2017 04:30:40 pm by JD »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: is the title still possible?
      Reply #1: Feb 03, 2017 02:01:59 pm
      Didn't think it was ever possible at the state of the season. We've done incredibly well to be in the position we're in given our squad, but the lack of depth was always likely to be our downfall over the entirety of the season. You can't expect to go through the whole campaign without injuries, especially with our luck.
      With only 15 games left, and only one per week, it's possible to finish a high as second, which would be some turnaround from Last season, but the title is unlikely.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #2: Feb 03, 2017 02:37:23 pm
      Yes.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #3: Feb 03, 2017 02:46:23 pm
      Let's see if we can beat Hull first.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Feb 03, 2017 03:04:08 pm
      Absolutely it is. 

One game a week till the end of the season so plenty of time for Jürgen to get us back into that free flowing, sumptuous play again with lots of rest and recouperation in between and all our main players back fit and available.

One thing about this league is that anyone can suffer a loss at any time, the chavs haven't just got big games against their big rivals like Arsenal, City and the scum but have tricky games like Burnley, Stoke, West Brom and Everton away so they will drop points somewhere but if they don't then them beating those rivals helps us to go back above them and stay there.

Concentrate on ourselves, keep picking those 3 points up and anything can happen. 

We may well fall short in the end but 2nd is still possible and would be huge considering where we came from and gives us a massive boost going into the summer and next season.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #5: Feb 03, 2017 03:17:01 pm
      Possible, yes but not in our hands. It would take an unprecedented Chelsea crash for them to throw the league away at this stage. Let's just be realistic here for a moment, they are ten points clear, with an eight point goal difference. That means they have to lose four games of the next fifteen games between now and the end of the season. It's highly unlikely they're going to do that. We, on the other hand, cannot afford to lose one of the next fifteen games.

So can we win it? Mathematically it's possible so all we can do is win the next fifteen games and see where we are come the end of the season, but the important thing is not to give up and keep chasing Chelsea down until the final whistle is blown on the final day, just in case the impossible actually does happen.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Feb 03, 2017 03:42:31 pm
      We cannot lose another game
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #7: Feb 03, 2017 04:15:27 pm
      Mathematically yes

Realistically nah
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #8: Feb 03, 2017 04:20:31 pm
      Mathematically possible but realistically impossible.

We haven't won a league game this year.

Don't think we will get to 80 points and I think Chelsea will push very close or just past 90.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Feb 03, 2017 04:25:01 pm
      Technically still can but realistically I think we all know it won't happen. Chelsea are just too good at the moment and taking their chances whilst we get a good result and follow it up with some really poor ones.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Re: Is the title still possible?
      Reply #10: Feb 03, 2017 04:59:40 pm

Don't think we will get to 80 points and I think Chelsea will push very close or just past 90.

We didn't win a league game in January 2009 but we ended up giving the league a good go in the end.

It's the old adage from Shankly: 'Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.' Just have to aim as high as possible.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2017 05:26:39 pm
      On paper Chelsea should walk it but I have this funny feeling that teams will figure out how to beat them, ie put in some bloody crosses. As long as we can get our groove back, which I see no reason that we can't, then I think we can run them damned close for the title.
      I think Chelsea's game against Arsenal is huge, if they win that game then I think its game over for the chasing pack.

In all likelihood I think we will either be 2nd or 3rd which will be fantastic progression for us and with a good summer of recruitment then maybe next season could finally be our season  but I would love it to be this season.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #12: Feb 03, 2017 05:33:15 pm
      I don't think the chavs will drop many points now but we should be looking to get the 3rd or 2nd spot for that straight into the group stages of the CL.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #13: Feb 03, 2017 05:35:56 pm
      I actually think Chelsea will drop points but will we do what we must???
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: Feb 03, 2017 05:43:43 pm

Exactly where I am too mate. Chelsea are too far over the hill to think it's realistic. We might manage around 2 points per game or a touch over, that'll put us on 76-80 points. That's not going to win the title and neither are we.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2017 05:55:56 pm
      Chelsea will piss it, we have blown our chance.

Swansea at home killed us
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2017 06:23:58 pm
      We didn't win a league game in January 2009 but we ended up giving the league a good go in the end.

It's the old adage from Shankly: 'Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.' Just have to aim as high as possible.

We may not have but after the same number of games in that season, the difference was two points, not ten. No one is saying we shouldn't try to overhaul the points gap, we're just being realistic about our chances.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2017 06:31:37 pm

I'm going with this.

Optimistic but realistic .

Tadders said it . Swansea was damaging .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Feb 03, 2017 06:52:25 pm
      Chelsea will piss it, we have blown our chance.

Swansea at home killed us

Ach mate, get up aff yer knees !!

Mate, I'm still selling that rope if your interested, I'll even sell it to you on hp, so you can't lose, except of course your very existence ,
      We're still in this race, and of course we can still f***in win it, and until it's mathematically impossible I'll keep believing,

I've said it before I'll say it again, chavs will drop points no doubt about that, their saving grace could be no European football just like ourselves,

Your obviously still in the doubters camp, but there is still time for you to change, and resell that rope !

BELIEVE!!!!!!

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Feb 03, 2017 07:19:17 pm
      Exactly where I am too mate. Chelsea are too far over the hill to think it's realistic. We might manage around 2 points per game or a touch over, that'll put us on 76-80 points. That's not going to win the title and neither are we.

This stage last year Leicester were top with 47pts. Our January wobble and 46 pts wouldn't have mattered then.

But when a team's on a freaky 56 pts then you can't have an off period.

For the second time in 4 years Liverpool have picked the wrong season to have a go.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Feb 03, 2017 07:32:59 pm
      This stage last year Leicester were top with 47pts. Our January wobble and 46 pts wouldn't have mattered then.

But when a team's on a freaky 56 pts then you can't have an off period.

For the second time in 4 years Liverpool have picked the wrong season to have a go.

I think were going to finish above 80 pts, and I think when that becomes closer to a reality the boss will get pretty pragmatic in the way he approaches games the last 2 months of the season.....we went all out Europa last season and ended up losing a CL spot by a very easily reachable 4pts when we started playing reserve sides against the likes of Newcastle and others.

He will go all out for maximum points of course but if we are away and tied with 20 minutes left he will look to be pragmatic vs. throwing caution to the wind. We have a far more favorable schedule than everyone else and I do think we could go put a good 7-9 match streak in the mix here.

Jürgen/Squad do quite well when they have prep time and that is something we will have in spades over the next few months.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #21: Feb 03, 2017 07:51:07 pm
      It ain't over yet lots of points to play for and I can't see any fat bint warbling yet 👍
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Feb 03, 2017 08:06:54 pm
      It's not im possible, will say that much.

Like someone said, let's beat Hull first.  Ask me after that.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #23: Feb 03, 2017 08:41:26 pm
      Impossible no, but very improbable.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #24: Feb 03, 2017 09:38:36 pm
      We most probably need to W13 D1 L1. We need Chelsea to drop points against Arsenal tomorrow,  lose to the two Manchester clubs, drop points at West Ham and Everton. We can't afford to lose at Man City otherwise they may also come into it. So yes we've won it, simple
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #25: Feb 03, 2017 10:32:20 pm
      Believers into doubters.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Feb 03, 2017 10:39:52 pm
      Yes!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #27: Feb 03, 2017 10:51:22 pm

Thing is, though, in January you'd be forgiven for thinking it seemed like we played every two days. There has been a cluster f**k of games for us there. Same for all our rivals I know but who would you say has the most thread bare squad out of us all.

Sure we only play three times in February or something like that.

Also, we've been sh*te yet Chelsea looked very beatable the other day. Other teams will look at how we played and hopefully do some of the things that we done.

Big ask but if we put another run together like we did earlier in the season and Chelsea drop points then it's not totally impossible.

At all.

There's a lot of footy to be played yet and I've made the mistake in many a season gone by of thinking that it's totally forseeable what will happen from this point of a season and been way off the mark.

There'll be some madness yet, just hope we are part of it.

Let's not forget that the run Chelsea have been on won't last. At least I don't think it will.

siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #28: Feb 03, 2017 11:13:49 pm
      We are only 1 point behind spurs and Gooners. So it would be absurd to think that we are out of the race.

If there IS a title race, then we are indeed in it. PERIOD.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #29: Feb 03, 2017 11:40:13 pm
      It's not im possible, will say that much.
      Like someone said, let's beat Hull first.  Ask me after that.

We MUST win the next match (Hull City), can't wait for this to start.

Hopefully Chelsea drop point and narrow the gap.

It ain't over yet lots of points to play for and I can't see any fat bint warbling yet 👍

Just do our part and hope for the best, that is all we can do.

YNWA

:kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :action-smiley-035:
      Augustine Hayfron
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #30: Feb 03, 2017 11:50:09 pm
      well for me its possible....15games and 45pts to play for and who knows the instanbul magic will repeat itself
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #31: Feb 03, 2017 11:52:02 pm
      Let's not forget that the run Chelsea have been on won't last. At least I don't think it will.

Chelsea would need to suffer a major loss of form.

An impressive end to our season would be us winning say 12 games. Even if we managed that then we're hoping Chelsea lose 6 or draw 9 of their last 15 games.

Not happening IMO.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2017 12:16:56 am
      I still have faint hope. Makes me sick thinking we were 7 points up on them and now 10 points behind them. cu*ts!!!!

I think the turning point of our season is when that Swansea fella kicked Couts in the foot. fu**ed us up ever since. F***ing Swansea f**ker.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2017 01:23:04 am
      I still have faint hope. Makes me sick thinking we were 7 points up on them and now 10 points behind them. cu*ts!!!!

I think the turning point of our season is when that Swansea fella kicked Couts in the foot. fu**ed us up ever since. F***ing Swansea f**ker.

Chelsea would need to suffer a major loss of form.

An impressive end to our season would be us winning say 12 games. Even if we managed that then we're hoping Chelsea lose 6 or draw 9 of their last 15 games.

Not happening IMO.

well for me its possible....15games and 45pts to play for and who knows the instanbul magic will repeat itself

We need to work, work, work, and finally work on this.

You'll never know what is behind the storm.  :aaliverpool2xt1:

We still score goal at the very last kick of the match.

Never give up until the door is closed, I still believe until now. Walk on, walk on.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2017 02:32:25 am
      We need to work, work, work, and finally work on this.

You'll never know what is behind the storm.  :aaliverpool2xt1:

We still score goal at the very last kick of the match.

Never give up until the door is closed, I still believe until now. Walk on, walk on.

I would love nothing more then those cu*ts to " slip up" on the last day of the Season and we win the Title.

Maybe we could sing a song about those cu*ts. Now that would be the Ultimate in Karma!!!!!
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2017 04:40:24 am
      Arsenal vs Chelsea is going to be quite a decider for now. If Chelsea win this, then I think the race will be over. On the other hand if Chelsea lose this, think then we might just have another chance.

Hope for the best, we just might win it in the end.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Feb 04, 2017 06:56:12 am
      Seeing as we have no other distractions to worry about we should have a good chance of winning that elusive league.All players should be under no illusion that if they don't perform for the rest of the season they will be out the door pronto.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2017 07:01:31 am
      Arsenal vs Chelsea is going to be quite a decider for now. If Chelsea win this, then I think the race will be over. On the other hand if Chelsea lose this, think then we might just have another chance.

Hope for the best, we just might win it in the end.

Had we have even been in a run of half decent form prior to the Chelsea match (if not better - pre Christmas type), I'm positive we'd have turned Chelsea over and taken all three points.

I'm not even going to hang my hat on Arsenal beating them, especially if I can't do that with my own team. Plus the Gooners got beat at home by Watford, and I cannot really see them beating the Chavs away.

As a club (not team), we're our own worst enemies who seem intent in shooting ourselves in the foot. We had a really good chance this year, what with the new arrivals of managers at the other bigger clubs ironing out their teething issues - Conte apart, plus no added bonus of European football. On top of that we started the season so well it was the perfect start to take into the second half of the season - then in true mediocre Liverpool fashion we decide we cannot reinforce our piss weak squad, and instead march on with the walking wounded dead.

As a Liverpool fan, you start to wonder (well I do anyway), how often these openings/chances are going to come around for us (Rodgers' nearly season, Klopp's start this season), when we clearly have to punch way above our weight all the f**king time. I'm a firm believer in grabbing the bull by the horns, but yet again it slips our grasp and it's all our own doing! Next season it could be harder, and TBH, I'm fed up of waiting for next season, every season.

Bitter much. You f**king betcha!

As for Hull, well we need to get 3pts to at least try and "consolidate" a top 4 finish.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #38: Feb 04, 2017 07:05:22 am
      We are only 1 point behind spurs and Gooners. So it would be absurd to think that we are out of the race.

If there IS a title race, then we are indeed in it. PERIOD.

I totally with you on this. Let's hope this early afternoon Arsenal take two points from them and then we must do our own job at 3pm.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #39: Feb 04, 2017 07:47:44 am
      No.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #40: Feb 04, 2017 07:53:45 am
      Had we have even been in a run of half decent form prior to the Chelsea match (if not better - pre Christmas type), I'm positive we'd have turned Chelsea over and taken all three points.

I'm not even going to hang my hat on Arsenal beating them, especially if I can't do that with my own team. Plus the Gooners got beat at home by Watford, and I cannot really see them beating the Chavs away.

As a club (not team), we're our own worst enemies who seem intent in shooting ourselves in the foot. We had a really good chance this year, what with the new arrivals of managers at the other bigger clubs ironing out their teething issues - Conte apart, plus no added bonus of European football. On top of that we started the season so well it was the perfect start to take into the second half of the season - then in true mediocre Liverpool fashion we decide we cannot reinforce our piss weak squad, and instead march on with the walking wounded dead.

As a Liverpool fan, you start to wonder (well I do anyway), how often these openings/chances are going to come around for us (Rodgers' nearly season, Klopp's start this season), when we clearly have to punch way above our weight all the f**king time. I'm a firm believer in grabbing the bull by the horns, but yet again it slips our grasp and it's all our own doing! Next season it could be harder, and TBH, I'm fed up of waiting for next season, every season.

Bitter much. You f**king betcha!

As for Hull, well we need to get 3pts to at least try and "consolidate" a top 4 finish.
      A win today is a must for whatever we will achieve this season.

Our worst enemy? - Yes we are. Happened thrice now in a span of 9 years. I was hoping this year might just be ours, but then we flattered ourselves far too quickly only to be deceived yet again(albeit dis-disappointingly) in the end. Well, looking at it in a positive manner, we've made quite a progress this year, just hope its not another false dawn at the end. Some proper CL quality reinforcements in the summer, and we'll might give it a fair shot again.

Although I am clutching at straws here, but I still think we can get it this year, albeit we will have to depend on others this time. As someone just said that city won the title in '12 whilst being in a similar scenario as of us with scum dropping points at the end.

Just hope for the best here.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #41: Feb 04, 2017 08:14:08 am
      Dont want to sound a pessimist but its a no from me . Not only do I not think Chelsea will drop enough points but City or Spurs could also go a run that is too much for us. I wanted top 4 at start of season and I still think that would be great progress from last year .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #42: Feb 04, 2017 11:33:06 am
      Seeing as we have no other distractions to worry about we should have a good chance of winning that elusive league.

Can't see Chelsea being massively distracted by the FA Cup.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #43: Feb 04, 2017 11:43:20 am
      Whats a good result for us today with Chelsea and Arsenal? Arsenal win, Chelsea win or draw?

Chelsea win can help us with top 4, an Arsenal win brings the leaders closer or a draw we hedge our bets for another week.

***All that as long as we can finally win a game ourselves of course***
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #44: Feb 04, 2017 12:14:53 pm
      We are currently 20/1 to win the league.... if you truly 'believe' you should lump on with big money... no ifs buts or bullshit playing to the crowd... lump on.

It's still "mathematically possible" - true but sadly, it's even more mathematically possible for others (including Chelsea).

It's also true that if we finish second, third or fourth we have come some way. And the truth is: I'm sure if it weren't for the fact that Leicester last season (and Chelsea this season), have proven it a lie - I'd be reading the excuse of how it's impossible to improve, from a lowly position to become champions.

You can blame who you want but the truth is - we aren't good enough yet.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #45: Feb 04, 2017 01:35:30 pm
      Think that top four as always been the objective this season... Title was always a dream that looked possible at one stage to a lot of people out there... Reality is now setting in
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #46: Feb 04, 2017 01:43:30 pm
      Possible? Yes.

Probable? No; for all the reasons people have already posted.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #47: Feb 04, 2017 01:48:00 pm
      Think that top four as always been the objective this season... Title was always a dream that looked possible at one stage to a lot of people out there... Reality is now setting in

Objective, maybe but we were worth every penny of our league position and form in the Autumn and the only reason we're now fulfilling expectation rather than exceeding it like we were, is down to poor planning and penny pinching in the Summer.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #48: Feb 04, 2017 01:53:32 pm
      League just gone, woeful Arsenal. How can they even justify these crazy wages. Jumped up pathetic molycoddled out of touch with the fans wasters.

Where has Coquelin been coached to defend like that, alls he had to do was sprint in front of Hazard to buy time for his defence
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #49: Feb 04, 2017 01:54:08 pm
      Objective, maybe but we were worth every penny of our league position and form in the Autumn and the only reason we're now fulfilling expectation rather than exceeding it like we were, is down to poor planning and penny pinching in the Summer.

I'm of the opinion that Klopp built his squad for this season, with a top 4 place in mind, knowing he would need more quality to actually go on and win it.
      Remember, his target was 4 years to deliver a title, and we're barely 18 months into it.

It takes time for a manager to build the squad he wants; I mean it's no use shoving 11 out of the door and hoping 11 coming in can hit the ground running.
      So while I was quite excited by our start and how we played, it's always been in my mind that for Klopp it was a bit unexpected for us to do so well, so early into his rebuilding.

I might well be completely wide of the mark, but that's how I see it.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #50: Feb 04, 2017 01:57:56 pm

Top 4?

Couldn't give a toss about 2nd, 3rd or 4th! Only 1st and trophies matter. Always have, always will...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #51: Feb 04, 2017 02:00:56 pm
      I'm of the opinion that Klopp built his squad for this season, with a top 4 place in mind, knowing he would need more quality to actually go on and win it.
      Remember, his target was 4 years to deliver a title, and we're barely 18 months into it.

It takes time for a manager to build the squad he wants; I mean it's no use shoving 11 out of the door and hoping 11 coming in can hit the ground running.
      So while I was quite excited by our start and how we played, it's always been in my mind that for Klopp it was a bit unexpected for us to do so well, so early into his rebuilding.

You're misquoting what was said about title glory. Klopp basically promised he'd win the title within his original tenure, which was 3 years. Not building to a winning team on his 4th year, which is part of a new contract...

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #52: Feb 04, 2017 02:07:01 pm

I have thought that myself, the thought being he wanted to get a pre-season under his belt with this lot first, however I still consider it poor planning. If nothing else, we knew Mane would be absent for anywhere up to six weeks yet we not only went ahead and signed him but failed to bring in sufficient cover. Even if that cover was a season long loan, or someone we'd done our homework on to get in January, it could have made all the difference. Our first thirteen or fourteen players are a hell of a lot better than the team he inherited at Dortmund, and are probably as good as anyone in the top six, so arguments that it takes time don't wash.

paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #53: Feb 04, 2017 02:07:53 pm

After the start we had, we had to win it really this year. With Chelsea and Man City able to spend millions it's going to be so difficult to compete, Man Utd are also going to chuck millions at it as well, I.e. Griezman £85m. Mind you, Leicester can give anyone hope I suppose
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #54: Feb 04, 2017 02:13:07 pm
      I have thought that myself, the thought being he wanted to get a pre-season under his belt with this lot first, however I still consider it poor planning. If nothing else, we knew Mane would be absent for anywhere up to six weeks yet we not only went ahead and signed him but failed to bring in sufficient cover. Even if that cover was a season long loan, or someone we'd done our homework on to get in January, it could have made all the difference. Our first thirteen or fourteen players are a hell of a lot better than the team he inherited at Dortmund, and are probably as good as anyone in the top six, so arguments that it takes time don't wash.

It takes all managers time to build a squad that they want.
      Sure, we have players who have the quality, but with Klopp it's about more than just quality; it's about football intelligence, passion, and a will to win as well. Not all players have that little bit extra something, and that's why even with the players already here, Klopp is still looking to build. He may (or may not) have done the bulk of the work and will now add more quality to his core group, but we won't know until summer.

Just my opinion, I don't really care whether it "washes" or not to others.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #55: Feb 04, 2017 03:38:30 pm
      We needed Arsenal to beat them today. They look good for it now Chelsea
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #56: Feb 04, 2017 03:52:33 pm
      We needed Arsenal to beat them today. They look good for it now Chelsea

Well, after that result, it's looking more and more like it's chelsea's to throw away.
      You never know, things have gone tits up for clubs in that position before, but barring injuries or a huge and unexpected loss of form, it looks unlikely.
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #57: Feb 04, 2017 04:43:31 pm
      Ha. No.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #58: Feb 04, 2017 04:47:44 pm

Thing is, though, in January you'd be forgiven for thinking it seemed like we played every two days. There has been a cluster f**k of games for us there. Same for all our rivals I know but who would you say has the most thread bare squad out of us all.

Sure we only play three times in February or something like that.

Also, we've been sh*te yet Chelsea looked very beatable the other day. Other teams will look at how we played and hopefully do some of the things that we done.

Big ask but if we put another run together like we did earlier in the season and Chelsea drop points then it's not totally impossible.

At all.

There's a lot of footy to be played yet and I've made the mistake in many a season gone by of thinking that it's totally forseeable what will happen from this point of a season and been way off the mark.

There'll be some madness yet, just hope we are part of it.

Pfft.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #59: Feb 04, 2017 04:48:35 pm
      Nope, unfortunately
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Feb 04, 2017 05:00:36 pm
      The question that should be being asked is, is the top 4 still possible? City get a point tomorrow and we're out.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #61: Feb 04, 2017 05:01:18 pm
      Change 'title' in the subject to 'CL' .
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #62: Feb 04, 2017 05:42:49 pm
      You want to win the title or play in the CL when you can't score against a team heading for relegation? Don't think about it. Probably will be disappointed.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #63: Feb 04, 2017 06:24:12 pm
      Can't see Chelsea being massively distracted by the FA Cup.

I couldn't see Hull distracting us either but they did.======bas**rds
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #64: Feb 04, 2017 06:25:26 pm
      Forget the title, that's Chelsea's. It's now the Champions League or bust and the next six games will define our season: Spurs, Arsenal, Burnley and Everton at home, Leicester and City away. Anything short of maximum points here and we can kiss a top four finish goodbye. That's not to say we can afford to lose another game between now and the end of the season but lose the next six and the following seven won't matter.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #65: Feb 04, 2017 06:35:40 pm
      It takes all managers time to build a squad that they want.
      Sure, we have players who have the quality, but with Klopp it's about more than just quality; it's about football intelligence, passion, and a will to win as well. Not all players have that little bit extra something, and that's why even with the players already here, Klopp is still looking to build. He may (or may not) have done the bulk of the work and will now add more quality to his core group, but we won't know until summer.

Just my opinion, I don't really care whether it "washes" or not to others.
      Generally agree but Conte and Ranieri sort of ruin that theory
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #66: Feb 04, 2017 07:08:00 pm
      NO. 

Its over .

------------------------------

Guess what ?   It was this time last year that the Spuds started pulling away from us.

History repeating. Nothing changes. 
      No one bought . No new spine to the team.

Methinks the joke is going to be on us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #67: Feb 04, 2017 07:09:56 pm
        :lmao: Why is this still open?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #68: Feb 04, 2017 07:11:17 pm
      Another year and yet again it has slipped away... how many more years will this go on
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #69: Feb 04, 2017 08:04:49 pm
      In before the lock

Quick Reply