Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Is the title still possible?

Read 6989 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Is the title still possible?
      Reply #46: Feb 04, 2017 01:43:30 pm
      Possible? Yes.

Probable? No; for all the reasons people have already posted.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #47: Feb 04, 2017 01:48:00 pm
      Think that top four as always been the objective this season... Title was always a dream that looked possible at one stage to a lot of people out there... Reality is now setting in

Objective, maybe but we were worth every penny of our league position and form in the Autumn and the only reason we're now fulfilling expectation rather than exceeding it like we were, is down to poor planning and penny pinching in the Summer.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #48: Feb 04, 2017 01:53:32 pm
      League just gone, woeful Arsenal. How can they even justify these crazy wages. Jumped up pathetic molycoddled out of touch with the fans wasters.

Where has Coquelin been coached to defend like that, alls he had to do was sprint in front of Hazard to buy time for his defence
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #49: Feb 04, 2017 01:54:08 pm
      Objective, maybe but we were worth every penny of our league position and form in the Autumn and the only reason we're now fulfilling expectation rather than exceeding it like we were, is down to poor planning and penny pinching in the Summer.

I'm of the opinion that Klopp built his squad for this season, with a top 4 place in mind, knowing he would need more quality to actually go on and win it.
      Remember, his target was 4 years to deliver a title, and we're barely 18 months into it.

It takes time for a manager to build the squad he wants; I mean it's no use shoving 11 out of the door and hoping 11 coming in can hit the ground running.
      So while I was quite excited by our start and how we played, it's always been in my mind that for Klopp it was a bit unexpected for us to do so well, so early into his rebuilding.

I might well be completely wide of the mark, but that's how I see it.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #50: Feb 04, 2017 01:57:56 pm
      Think that top four as always been the objective this season... Title was always a dream that looked possible at one stage to a lot of people out there... Reality is now setting in

Top 4?

Couldn't give a toss about 2nd, 3rd or 4th! Only 1st and trophies matter. Always have, always will...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #51: Feb 04, 2017 02:00:56 pm
      I'm of the opinion that Klopp built his squad for this season, with a top 4 place in mind, knowing he would need more quality to actually go on and win it.
      Remember, his target was 4 years to deliver a title, and we're barely 18 months into it.

It takes time for a manager to build the squad he wants; I mean it's no use shoving 11 out of the door and hoping 11 coming in can hit the ground running.
      So while I was quite excited by our start and how we played, it's always been in my mind that for Klopp it was a bit unexpected for us to do so well, so early into his rebuilding.

You're misquoting what was said about title glory. Klopp basically promised he'd win the title within his original tenure, which was 3 years. Not building to a winning team on his 4th year, which is part of a new contract...

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #52: Feb 04, 2017 02:07:01 pm

I have thought that myself, the thought being he wanted to get a pre-season under his belt with this lot first, however I still consider it poor planning. If nothing else, we knew Mane would be absent for anywhere up to six weeks yet we not only went ahead and signed him but failed to bring in sufficient cover. Even if that cover was a season long loan, or someone we'd done our homework on to get in January, it could have made all the difference. Our first thirteen or fourteen players are a hell of a lot better than the team he inherited at Dortmund, and are probably as good as anyone in the top six, so arguments that it takes time don't wash.

paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #53: Feb 04, 2017 02:07:53 pm

After the start we had, we had to win it really this year. With Chelsea and Man City able to spend millions it's going to be so difficult to compete, Man Utd are also going to chuck millions at it as well, I.e. Griezman £85m. Mind you, Leicester can give anyone hope I suppose
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #54: Feb 04, 2017 02:13:07 pm
      I have thought that myself, the thought being he wanted to get a pre-season under his belt with this lot first, however I still consider it poor planning. If nothing else, we knew Mane would be absent for anywhere up to six weeks yet we not only went ahead and signed him but failed to bring in sufficient cover. Even if that cover was a season long loan, or someone we'd done our homework on to get in January, it could have made all the difference. Our first thirteen or fourteen players are a hell of a lot better than the team he inherited at Dortmund, and are probably as good as anyone in the top six, so arguments that it takes time don't wash.

It takes all managers time to build a squad that they want.
      Sure, we have players who have the quality, but with Klopp it's about more than just quality; it's about football intelligence, passion, and a will to win as well. Not all players have that little bit extra something, and that's why even with the players already here, Klopp is still looking to build. He may (or may not) have done the bulk of the work and will now add more quality to his core group, but we won't know until summer.

Just my opinion, I don't really care whether it "washes" or not to others.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #55: Feb 04, 2017 03:38:30 pm
      We needed Arsenal to beat them today. They look good for it now Chelsea
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #56: Feb 04, 2017 03:52:33 pm
      We needed Arsenal to beat them today. They look good for it now Chelsea

Well, after that result, it's looking more and more like it's chelsea's to throw away.
      You never know, things have gone tits up for clubs in that position before, but barring injuries or a huge and unexpected loss of form, it looks unlikely.
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #57: Feb 04, 2017 04:43:31 pm
      Ha. No.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #58: Feb 04, 2017 04:47:44 pm

Thing is, though, in January you'd be forgiven for thinking it seemed like we played every two days. There has been a cluster f**k of games for us there. Same for all our rivals I know but who would you say has the most thread bare squad out of us all.

Sure we only play three times in February or something like that.

Also, we've been sh*te yet Chelsea looked very beatable the other day. Other teams will look at how we played and hopefully do some of the things that we done.

Big ask but if we put another run together like we did earlier in the season and Chelsea drop points then it's not totally impossible.

At all.

There's a lot of footy to be played yet and I've made the mistake in many a season gone by of thinking that it's totally forseeable what will happen from this point of a season and been way off the mark.

There'll be some madness yet, just hope we are part of it.

Let's not forget that the run Chelsea have been on won't last. At least I don't think it will.

Pfft.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #59: Feb 04, 2017 04:48:35 pm
      Nope, unfortunately
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Feb 04, 2017 05:00:36 pm
      The question that should be being asked is, is the top 4 still possible? City get a point tomorrow and we're out.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #61: Feb 04, 2017 05:01:18 pm
      Change 'title' in the subject to 'CL' .
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #62: Feb 04, 2017 05:42:49 pm
      You want to win the title or play in the CL when you can't score against a team heading for relegation? Don't think about it. Probably will be disappointed.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #63: Feb 04, 2017 06:24:12 pm
      Can't see Chelsea being massively distracted by the FA Cup.

I couldn't see Hull distracting us either but they did.======bas**rds
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #64: Feb 04, 2017 06:25:26 pm
      Forget the title, that's Chelsea's. It's now the Champions League or bust and the next six games will define our season: Spurs, Arsenal, Burnley and Everton at home, Leicester and City away. Anything short of maximum points here and we can kiss a top four finish goodbye. That's not to say we can afford to lose another game between now and the end of the season but lose the next six and the following seven won't matter.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #65: Feb 04, 2017 06:35:40 pm
      It takes all managers time to build a squad that they want.
      Sure, we have players who have the quality, but with Klopp it's about more than just quality; it's about football intelligence, passion, and a will to win as well. Not all players have that little bit extra something, and that's why even with the players already here, Klopp is still looking to build. He may (or may not) have done the bulk of the work and will now add more quality to his core group, but we won't know until summer.

Just my opinion, I don't really care whether it "washes" or not to others.
      Generally agree but Conte and Ranieri sort of ruin that theory
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #66: Feb 04, 2017 07:08:00 pm
      NO. 

Its over .

------------------------------

Guess what ?   It was this time last year that the Spuds started pulling away from us.

History repeating. Nothing changes. 
      No one bought . No new spine to the team.

Methinks the joke is going to be on us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #67: Feb 04, 2017 07:09:56 pm
        :lmao: Why is this still open?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #68: Feb 04, 2017 07:11:17 pm
      Another year and yet again it has slipped away... how many more years will this go on

Quick Reply