Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

What would you change?

Read 12406 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,745 posts | 882 
      What would you change?
      Feb 04, 2017 06:17:02 pm
      Following the Hull defeat, Klopp has indicated his dissatisfaction with the way the players have performed, and most fans have concluded that he needs to make immediate changes - with the starting lineups coming under most criticism.   

I have been vocal on the subject and expressed my frustration at the starting 11 who regularly get picked. My personal take is that is where he needs the biggest change, although there are other areas that he could improve on. What's your own solution?

Going on the starting lineup - my view is he has to drop a couple of under-performing players and try a new system.

I'd like to see Klopp try something like this:

Mignolet
      Clyne - Lovren - Matip - Milner
      Lallana - Henderson - Wijnaldum
      Coutinho
      Sturridge - Origi

I'm not a master tactician.. but those are the players who I'd love to get in that team. Whether he plays a diamond, or with Lallana pushing further up, or with a flat 4 midfield..

But in my mind, a front 2 with Origi and Sturridge has to be given a proper go, and my preference is to have Coutinho (with Firmino another backup) sat in behind them.

As I say, the question isn't to limit the focus on the starting 11. There's more to it than that, but the immediate change I want to see before we kick another ball is the 11 players who are picked to go out there and represent this club!

What would you change?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,530 posts | 720 
      Re: What would you change?
      Reply #1: Feb 04, 2017 06:43:49 pm
      invest in the squad. Next question ;D
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,745 posts | 882 
      Reply #2: Feb 04, 2017 06:52:28 pm

That's one for the future mate, and yes, hoping for massive signings there! I'm talking immediate changes... :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3: Feb 04, 2017 06:58:31 pm

Flush the TPM's turds down the toilet.

Start spending some of the FSG money they are making after in their own words "stealing" us .

Klopp's six year contract ?.   They locked him into their money ball game. Klopp  kippered.

We are going blow CL qualification at this rate

F***ing pathetic  performance

Could have at least bought a proven goalkeeper during the window.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #4: Feb 04, 2017 07:00:54 pm
      That's one for the future mate, and yes, hoping for massive signings there! I'm talking immediate changes... :)

Karius and Wijnaldum restored to the starting line up would be a good start. Bobby looks like he needs a rest so perhaps a change of formation to 4-4-2 diamond to get the best out of a Sturridge and Origi partnership. Beyond that, if I had the answers FSG would be firing Klopp and hiring me. The team needs a win to restore belief and confidence.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Feb 04, 2017 07:03:08 pm
      Karius and Wijnaldum restored to the starting line up would be a good start. Bobby looks like he needs a rest so perhaps a change of formation to 4-4-2 diamond to get the best out of a Sturridge and Origi partnership. Beyond that, if I had the answers FSG would be firing Klopp and hiring me. The team needs a win to restore belief and confidence.

Spurs up next at least they won't park the bus......
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1273 
      Reply #6: Feb 04, 2017 07:03:48 pm
      The owners.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #7: Feb 04, 2017 07:04:38 pm

Bobby definitely needs to sit down a few no doubt about the fact he looks knackered.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 523 
      Reply #8: Feb 04, 2017 07:12:45 pm
      Jürgen's preferred line up and system works well against the better teams. Has done this season and last.

But, also this season and last, we struggle to break down teams that sit deep. For those situations, Jürgen needs to be more flexible and go to 2 up front, one of whom probably needs to be Origi. Whether you play Sturridge or Firmino ( or could even try Coutinho) as a strike partner should depend on form/experimenting with combinations.

Last season we had a number of games were again we were failing to break down park-the-bus merchants, and we had Benteke sitting on the bench. It was really frustrating. I didn't even want to sign Benteke, but couldn't understand why we weren't putting him ( and maybe Origi too) on to combat teams sitting deep.

We can moan about players and making more signings all we want, but the window is shut so we have to think what we can do with the squad we have. Jürgen needs to be prepared to go 2 up top to beat the bus parkers.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #9: Feb 04, 2017 07:18:01 pm

No, but they might score 5...

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Feb 04, 2017 07:19:17 pm
      Jürgen needs to be prepared to go 2 up top to beat the bus parkers.

I've always disagreed with this notion. I think we need more players in midfield when against bus parkers. Central defenders are most comfortable when they have the striker within arms reach and basically get told where to go by where he goes.

To beat the bus parkers I believe you need more offensive midfielders, ones that are prepared and able to run beyond or past a defender or two. Being the lone striker against these types of teams ia thankless task, just adding him a mate to complain to wont help.

Today we perhaps missed Gini, but all through this slump I've felt we've needed so much more from the players who get given the space or opportunity on the ball. The instincts just aren't in tune with the system from either Milner/Clyne or Can, I just don't feel they recongise their responsibilities and just repeat the same picture almost every time. How many times does Coutinho or Lallana get the ball and all you see is Clyne or Milner overlap but not able to go beyond the defender simply because it's unnatural for Milner (wrong foot) and Clyne doesn't have the ability.

To counter-act this you can go to 5 at the back. The misconception being this a more defensive approach, it isn't. it offers width from players who can be more offensive minded and on the break you are left less exposed. In many ways I believe we play this in open play anyway but unfortunately our 6 is often nowhere to be seen on a break and it is his job to be the first point that stops or at least delays a break-away. So for me the problem lies away from the CF position when it comes to bus parkers.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: Feb 04, 2017 07:25:12 pm

Why not? I would. We need the win more than they do so sit back and hit us on the counter whilst we have nighty toothless percent of possession.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #12: Feb 04, 2017 07:27:12 pm
      I'd have a look at Mane at centre forward. He's the only player in the squad who's got any pace (well the only player in the squad who hasn't a got a daft died blond haircut and isn't clueless who's got any pace anyway) and having a look at him central makes sense to me. Maybe Sturridge off of him (or Firmino if we resist the temptation to rest him, or Coutinho) and go 4-4-2.

We've actually got the personel to put out a good 4-4-2 side, the worst that could happen is that we get beat again.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13: Feb 04, 2017 07:31:37 pm
      I'd have a look at Mane at centre forward. He's the only player in the squad who's got any pace (well the only player in the squad who hasn't a got a daft died blond haircut and isn't clueless who's got any pace anyway) and having a look at him central makes sense to me. Maybe Sturridge off of him (or Firmino if we resist the temptation to rest him, or Coutinho) and go 4-4-2.

We've actually got the personel to put out a good 4-4-2 side, the worst that could happen is that we get beat again.

Mane

Firmino

Coutinho Henderson Wijnaldum Lallana

Milner Lovren Matip Clyne

Karius

Thinking like this Mick?

Personally I think this kind of system is suited more to your mate Benteke than it would be to a pacey type. I also think we'd get beaten up in midfield but that's just my thoughts about it.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14: Feb 04, 2017 07:36:59 pm
                                 Mane

Firmino

Coutinho Henderson Wijnaldum Lallana

Milner Lovren Matip Clyne

Karius

Thinking like this Mick?

Personally I think this kind of system is suited more to your mate Benteke than it would be to a pacey type. I also think we'd get beaten up in midfield but that's just my thoughts about it.

Something like that mate yep.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #15: Feb 04, 2017 07:45:34 pm
      The Captain.

Look, Hendo is a top notch athlete, his passing is generally good, although in my opinion he will usually take the easy option, but far too often he goes missing when we need a leader on the pitch. That is not him.

When we needed Gerrard he was there, Souness, Hansen, Thompson were all leaders, Carragher as deputy or even big Sami. Henderson does not offer that unless we are comfortable.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Feb 04, 2017 08:01:02 pm
      The owners.

Thanks for Klopp.
      Thanks for the stand.
      Now sell to somebody who can make LFC compete.
      Kopite78
      Reply #17: Feb 04, 2017 08:30:57 pm

Your log in password? 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Feb 04, 2017 08:43:21 pm
      I'd go 3 at the back. Can obviously has to play under Klopp so he plays alongside Matip and Lovren.

This is difficult because for it to work Moreno would as the only natural left footer go in at left wing back. Then I wouldn't be averse to Milner at RWB over the awkward Clyne.

Henderson and Wijnaldum central.

Coutinho, Firmino, Mane as the forward 3. Lallana sub to add a little threat for once from off bench.

Not too fussed if that bench option is Lallana, Firmino or Coutinho in fairness. All been poor for a while now, except Firmino in 1 game.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #19: Feb 04, 2017 09:06:15 pm
      4-2-3-1 for me

Karius

Clyne - Matip - Gomez - Lovren

Henderson - Wijnaldum

Mane - Firmino - Coutinho

Origi
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #20: Feb 04, 2017 09:11:16 pm
      Why not go back to the diamond formation ? I mean Rodgers made it work(with Suarez playing a huge part though) so I do not see why Klopp cannot.

Mignolet/Karius (at this point I don't think it matters)

Clyne           Matip          Lovren        Milner

Gerrard  Henderson

Lallana                      Allen Wijnaldum

Sterling Coutinho

Suarez Mane           Sturidge/Firmino

xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #21: Feb 04, 2017 09:15:31 pm
      Posted this in the Klopp thread more appropriate for here though I think.

Time for a rethink.

Trying not to dwell on the football of the past few weeks.

I'd like to see us play 4-2-3-1 with this being our starting 11 with everyone fit.

Gk: Mignolet
      RB: Clyne
      CB: Matip
      CB: Lovren
      LB: Moreno
      CDM: Hendo
      CDM: Milner/Gini 
      AMR: Mane
      AMC: Lallana
      AML: Cout
      ST: Origi

Chose to replace Milner at LB as he's looking extremely tired running up and down that wing. I know that Moreno is a defensive liability but we need his legs going forward. I think Milner can do a job anywhere on the pitch but age waits for no man. Would like to see him bring some of his grit to the middle of the park. He'd also provide good cover for when Moreno over extends.

Choosing who to drop in AM is difficult but the odds of all 4 players (inc Firmino) being fit at the same time is relatively low.

Went with Origi to lead the line as i think he offers more over 90 mins compared to Sturridge
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #22: Feb 04, 2017 09:24:04 pm
      I'd go 3 at the back. Can obviously has to play under Klopp so he plays alongside Matip and Lovren.

This is difficult because for it to work Moreno would as the only natural left footer go in at left wing back. Then I wouldn't be averse to Milner at RWB over the awkward Clyne.

Henderson and Wijnaldum central.

Coutinho, Firmino, Mane as the forward 3. Lallana sub to add a little threat for once from off bench.

Not too fussed if that bench option is Lallana, Firmino or Coutinho in fairness. All been poor for a while now, except Firmino in 1 game.

I actually think that would work well. I think we'd get more from Milner than we do from Clyne in the attacking 3rd and lose very little in a defensive sense.

I know people might groan but I wouldn't be at all against Lucas being that 3rd CB either. His ability on the ball is massively underrated and actually sets the tempo of our play very well when in deeper situations. Playing as the 3 they'd obviously be able to cover for him in terms of pace too so that wouldn't be exposed and it would get Can out of the side (granted that is the biggest up side). Moreno as a wing-back makes most sense.

Karius coming back in also works for me, I think Migs latest blunder will probably see him dropped and if not he's definitely on his 3rd strike.

Quick Reply