Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

What would you change?

Read 12400 times
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,169 posts | 520 
      Re: What would you change?
      Reply #23: Feb 04, 2017 09:26:26 pm
      "What would you change",
      First thing send the defence to a dating agency, so they could get introduced to one another for a start.
      Tell the midfield that they won't get a nose bleed if they pass the fcuking ball forward, also they wont get wrong off Jürgen if they actually go into the opposition's half.
      After that I'm struggling, so will leave it up to the more learned on here.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #24: Feb 04, 2017 09:31:56 pm
      No real options to change the starting line up, just play better
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #25: Feb 04, 2017 09:36:30 pm
      I think I am done with Firmino up top. I want to see a natural striker as our #9 playing regularly and mastering the role. All strikers gotta start off some where and play regularly to be nurtured, and a player like Origi is perfect. He has all the attributes to be an exceptional striker, not wide forward, not winger, but a striker. Imagine if we had a #9 that played like a Costa or Kane, and with Mane and Coutinho either side with Lallana making late runs into the box....

Couple of other things. Lucas CB experiment has to stop and only used if our 4th choice is out, and Wijnaldum needs to play instead of Can, especially in the more adv midfield role.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #26: Feb 04, 2017 09:51:56 pm
      Mignolet needs flushing down the toilet for a kick off.  Since Reina was binned off prematurely we haven't had an inspiring presence at the back.

I said some years ago we wouldn't win anything with him in the side, we haven't and we won't.

There is also something seriously wrong with the squad depth when Lucas has to be brought in to centre-back too.

Squad is too thin.  We have made some good additions to the team in the past 12 months - Mane and Matip for a combined £30M is good business for 2 first team players for hopefully many years, but basically, we could have done much more. 

We've taken small steps, the owners haven't had to spend a single penny since Klopp arrived, and ultimately it shows.

If you want to have long term success then you have to have the quality players.  Luis Suarez you knew you could get something magic from every single game, whereas Coutinho/Lallana/Firmino etc you know they will have terrific spells of form and then periods of drought.

Until our owners decide how much massive profit they want to walk away with and we get someone else in with a potentially different mentality then the cycle of trying this farcical experiment in trying to be clever will continue.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2017 10:10:20 pm
      Mignolet needs flushing down the toilet for a kick off.  Since Reina was binned off prematurely we haven't had an inspiring presence at the back.

How many exceptional keepers have we had since Grobbelaar left us? Seriously, how many? One? Reina? little over 2 decades and we have only ever had one(for 3 seasons) worthy of the GK shirt.

If we want to start winning titles and cups again, we need to f**king build from the back and start with an exceptional-world class GK.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2017 10:19:46 pm
      Use of subs. They're coming far too late to make a meaningful difference of late. Seven minutes to go again today before we saw one.

Can went off on 67, but yeah giving the other lads just 10 minutes probably isn't enough most times.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2017 10:25:00 pm
      I don't quite get all the calls to try different formations. A different formation doesn't change much when it's the same players executing the tactics on the pitch. A formation is just what they show you at the start of the game: "These are the 11 that will be playing and they'll be roughly playing in these positions."

A 3-5-2 like Chelsea: our attacking shape already very much is like a 3-5-2 / 3-4-2-1 (Whatever you want to call it.)

If you look at us and compare our attacking shape to Chelsea's starting / attacking shape:

Henderson and Luiz almost have the same roles. The big difference (apart from the obvious fact that Luiz actually is a defender, not a very good one to be honest, but a defender nonetheless and Henderson isn't) is that with us Henderson is part of the pressing machine when we lose possession and he gets pulled out of our 'back three' (so to spreak, he usually drops deep and sits between our CB's to effectively form a back three). Luiz isn't part of their's. Both Kante and Matic are the ones regaining possession, not necessarily high up the pitch like our players are asked to do. Not Luiz and he doesn't expose their CB's nearly as much as Henderson exposes our's which time and time again makes us vulnerable on the counterattack as we have seen numerous times in January because it leaves us a man short at the back.

The big difference here isn't the formation or the starting positions (their backline usually sits a little deeper). It's the players, mainly the type of players and their mindset (attacking / defending), executing the formation and the tactics. If you look at their midfield and you look at our's. What do we lack that they do have? Power and a defensive mindset. Look at Grujic, a strong, big lad to play in midfield who has these qualities, but has been unlucky with injuries. Klopp knows what he needs and he knows what he's doing. Their front three might only be marginally better than our's. Same for their back three. The big difference sits in midfield and of course the goalkeeper. Both Kanté and Matic are defensive minded. Lallana and Wijnaldum are essentialy attacking midfielders being pulled back to play in midfield and Henderson is a midfielder being pulled back to almost a CB / CDM. So we're only playing three defensive minded players out of 10 outfield players. Milner might be playing at LB, but he is a(n) (attacking) midfielder too.

In my opinion we don't have the players to do what Chelsea does, we would get overrun in midfield. Matip would be our middle CB with Lovren and Klavan either side of him. Henderson / Wijnaldum or Henderson / Lallana, whatever pair you would put in the middle, it's too lightweight. And what happens when one of our 3 CB's gets injured? We revert back to our 4-3-3 like we do now? We only have three CB's (and Gomez who still is on the way back.)

Just to be clear, a change of formation CAN make a difference, like it did at Chelsea, but ONLY if you have to players to fit that formation. We do not have the players to change formation because the ones that we would need to come in to change our formation, are the ones that everyone has been shitting on the past few weeks / months / years (Moreno and Can, who I agree have been below the level that is required for Liverpool).

The same with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

What's the big difference there? In my opinion, it's just asking either Wijnaldum or Lallana to defend first and to attack second. It's still the same 11 players on the pitch in roughly the same positions, they're just given different guidelines then they are now.

The problem isn't the formation, the problem isn't necessarily what Klopp is asking the players to do. What we have is Klopp trying to get the best out of the squad we currently have available. Which is why I think he deserves more credit for what he has done so far this season because our squad, other than our starting eleven, lacks quality. Klopp is madly obsessed with football. If you think that he hasn't been thinking about changing formation, changing tactics, trying to find ways to break teams down, you're wrong. He's a F***ing sore loser and I'm sure the man is absolutely fuming with the performances of our players and I'm sure he's also disappointed in himself.

Now all of you will be saying:"If we don't have the players to try a different formation or to try and mix up things during the game, why hasn't Klopp brought in reinforcements this window or why hasn't he bought more players in the summer?"

It's just unrealistic to expect Klopp to sell 20 players over two windows and bring in another 20. Just have a look at the Dortmund team he took over in '08-'09 and his squad two or three years later. There are almost no players left from when he started. The difference is that he had 5-6 windows to mould that squad exactly like he wanted it. Without having his fans asking him to bring in 10 players every window and to make wholesale changes. The players we all agree on that lack quality: some of them we're in the starting line-up last season, most of them were either sold or are on the bench now and barely play. Where do you think they will be come summer or the season after? Gone.

Patience is a virtue. We all crave success, we all want to win the F***ing league, more than anyone else, I do too. All we can do now is give the man some time. I know that's what some of you have been hearing for the past almost three decades, but it's what Klopp (and actually any manager who has been at any club for only a year and half) deserves.

With this post I do not mean to defend our performances at all, if anyone thinks that. Just my view on the formations / tactics / ...

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2017 10:26:45 pm
      Can went off on 67, but yeah giving the other lads just 10 minutes probably isn't enough most times.

I see this a lot about late subs, but I'm personally not sure it's that big a factor (aside from like bringing Origi on with a minute to go etc which has happened occasionally). I think the main problem we have is the lack of options off the bench, the lack of ability to properly change things up. We don't have for instance a dribbler of a winger who can run at people, a big man we can bring on to go more direct, a pacey forward who will run the channels, a goalscoring midfielder who is going to arrive on the end of a cross into the box, a full back who is going to burst up and down the wing and has a shot from distance.

Mostly, aside from bringing Sturridge on and going for more of a poacher style striker, our options are pretty much the same as what we already have out there. Given that I'm less convinced than some that earlier subs would make much difference.

Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,742 posts | 569 
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2017 10:28:27 pm
      In order

Under Brendan we had Stevie and Suarez to fall back on. Stevie was rarely the best player on the pitch but he led.

Now we have Jordan who as much as he try's is just not a leader.

Jürgen doesn't coach anything other than plan a it seems

FSG are not interested

We as fans get far too carried away

Oh, and our total lack of interest in goalkeepers with presence since grobelaar is quite frankly astonishing
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2017 10:38:44 pm
      The big difference sits in midfield and of course the goalkeeper. Both Kanté and Matic are defensive minded. Lallana and Wijnaldum are essentialy attacking midfielders being pulled back to play in midfield and Henderson is a midfielder being pulled back to almost a CB / CDM. So we're only playing three defensive minded players out of 10 outfield players. Milner might be playing at LB, but he is a(n) (attacking) midfielder too.

Never really thought about this, but could be one of the main reasons why we are so vulnerable at set pieces and counters. Another thing I noticed, whilst we are exceptional pressing, as a team, we are not very good tacklers.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2017 10:43:12 pm
      I see this a lot about late subs, but I'm personally not sure it's that big a factor (aside from like bringing Origi on with a minute to go etc which has happened occasionally). I think the main problem we have is the lack of options off the bench, the lack of ability to properly change things up. We don't have for instance a dribbler of a winger who can run at people, a big man we can bring on to go more direct, a pacey forward who will run the channels, a goalscoring midfielder who is going to arrive on the end of a cross into the box, a full back who is going to burst up and down the wing and has a shot from distance.

Mostly, aside from bringing Sturridge on and going for more of a poacher style striker, our options are pretty much the same as what we already have out there. Given that I'm less convinced than some that earlier subs would make much difference.

I think that's fair Mick, especially in attacking areas we don't have enough to change style. Personally think that is a lot down to how Origi and Sturridge are impotent at the moment, bringing either on seems to have absolutely no impact so Jürgen is understandably left scratching his head.

Now we can point to the injuries to Ings or we can say that Jürgen should have seen that Sturridge and Origi wouldn't have enough for us moving forward but I actually reckon he's quite surprised (as are most of us) just how things have fallen for both of these.

In terms of midfield then Can's obvious struggles has us all a bit miffed. Sure there were many who were against the lad early last year but I think he'd starting winning quite a few over and there was nothing but encouragement to be seen by his late displays. Right now I'd not have him even on the bench. So our 'impact' players only impact the game in a negative sense and I'd agree that the changes aren't being made simply because Jürgen has lost a bit of faith in these players.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2017 10:54:50 pm

I think that's fair Mick, especially in attacking areas we don't have enough to change style. Personally think that is a lot down to how Origi and Sturridge are impotent at the moment, bringing either on seems to have absolutely no impact so Jürgen is understandably left scratching his head.

Now we can point to the injuries to Ings or we can say that Jürgen should have seen that Sturridge and Origi wouldn't have enough for us moving forward but I actually reckon he's quite surprised (as are most of us) just how things have fallen for both of these.

In terms of midfield then Can's obvious struggles has us all a bit miffed. Sure there were many who were against the lad early last year but I think he'd starting winning quite a few over and there was nothing but encouragement to be seen by his late displays. Right now I'd not have him even on the bench. So our 'impact' players only impact the game in a negative sense and I'd agree that the changes aren't being made simply because Jürgen has lost a bit of faith in these players.

Completely agree with both of you. At the start of the season, I too was wondering sometimes why he always left it late. Would be interesting to see how our subs have actually affected games this season. At the start of the season, when we were behind, most of the time it would be the starting eleven turning the situation around. How many points have our subs won us or helped us keep?

If you look at our bench today or when everyone is fit, most of the times it is:

Karius
      Moreno
      Klavan
      Can / Wijnaldum
      Origi
      Sturridge

Moreno obviously stands out as a weak link. Klavan is a seasoned pro who as a sub, should be able to do a job and has been pretty decent if you take all games into account. Judging on the basis of last season, both Can and Origi should be impact subs who should be able to either turn the game around or to help us keep hold of a lead. Sturridge is prolific goalscorer and our best finisher.

Just looking at the names, it looks like a pretty strong bench. Looking at their current form, that bench could compete with the one we had in the nearly season with Cissokho and Moses on it as impact subs. I can understand why Klopp is reluctant to bring on any of them, they just don't seem to do the business. Can looked so promising under Brendan and at the end of last season, I really wonder what's wrong with him. He has plenty of qualities. I'm not too worried about Origi, still think he'll come good.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2017 11:09:58 pm
      I've deleted my previous threads so I can consolidate them into this one. So what would I change? A lot needs changing in my opinion because our current problems are a combination of poor planning, insufficient quality and stubbornness.

First off that total f**king sh*t show we have in goal needs to be dropped and told there is no future for him at this club. He's sh*t, he's a liability and he will continue to cost us matches. Whether it's letting the ball bounce underneath him, farting around with the wall after the whistle is blown, flapping at crosses, dropping balls or all manner of other stupid sh*t, the guy is a perpetual accident waiting to happen. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction, I've always hated him and was against his signing in the first place. Contrary to accusations leveled at me, it had nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with knowing he was a poor fit.

I'd also change our formation when playing the bottom fourteen clubs, because we've become all too predictable and easy to counter by allowing us to have possession and defending deep. We lack pace and guile needed to unlock defences right now, so I'd change it to a wingback formation, similar to what Conte's doing with Chelsea. I'd go with the following team:

Mane   Sturridge

Coutinho

Henderson        Lallana 

Moreno                                           Clyne

Lovren     Matip     Klavan

Karius

Sturridge is at his best when he has a partner who can open up space for him to exploit and he doesn't need to do the running behind defenders. Mane's pace and movement could allow for that. Moreno is a brain dead moron who I want to see sold in the Summer but he's still one of our most pacey players and we're desperately lacking any sort of pace in the side right now. We have three players with an incredible range of passing in the middle, two pacey players on the wings, one whose pace can unlock defences and another who is one of the most gifted goalscorers when he's on his game.

Swapping out Sturridge for Origi, if you want a battering ram up front, works just as well in this formation and consideration could be given to dropping Lallana for Coutinho and having Wijnaldum play in his customary number ten role (customary prior to joining us). If we can get him in the goal scoring form of last season (eleven goals scored), it could go a long way to alleviating our toothlessness problem.

Mane   Sturridge

Wijnaldum

Henderson        Coutinho

Moreno                                           Clyne

Lovren     Matip     Klavan

Karius

I'd remain with a 4-3-3 standard formation with two holding midfielders in Can/Wijnaldum and Henderson against the top six but I don't want to see Can anywhere near the team for matches against the rest of the league. Two holding midfielders when you aren't being attacked is counterproductive to say the least.

Coutinho   Firmino   Mane

Wijnaldum  Henderson   Lallana

Milner   Lovren     Matip     Clyne

Karius

Next I'd look to the subs bench because Klopp has become all too timid of late in turning to the bench. We didn't buy in January so what we have to work with is going to have to do until the Summer and Klopp needs to be faster to make changes. Today, and not for the first time, he waited until there were seven minutes to go before making his first change. Seven minutes plus stoppage time  just isn't enough time to make an impact on the game. It doesn't matter if it's ten minutes into the game, if it's not working it needs changing because this blind faith is not helping us win right now.

Lastly, I'd start planning for the Summer. Investment needs to come and we need to be prepared to buy the finished article, not more untried and untested kids. We need to take a shock and awe approach to our transfer business and get it done in the first week before anyone else can get in there. If a player wants a bit more money, so long as it's not unreasonable, give it to them. Knowing one's worth does not mean you're not down with the project. We need players who can push the players we have to the bench and the planning for that starts now, not once the season has ended.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #36: Feb 05, 2017 10:18:30 am
      This is where we could do with Alonso/Gerrard rather than a Henderson type midfielder.

I've been full of praise for Henderson this season and said he was the least of our worries when a couple started questioning him. He was pretty much the perfect profile of player we needed prior to teams 'sussing' (and yes, they have, they have all cottoned on in making us look toothless), out our high octane press.

Unfortunately for Hendo and us now, the gameplan has been flipped and we need an orchestrator in midfield. Remember the buzz phrases? 'Someone who can dictate the tempo of the play'... and all that jazz, a midfield maestro like Alonso or Gerrard even who can change the pace of our play with the offensive passing that Jordan simply doesn't have. He doesn't have the 'Coutinho type vision' nor the 'Alonso passing ability' to put teams under the kosh. He doesn't orchestrate the midfield and dictate the tempo.

We don't switch the ball quick enough from central, to wide areas and back again to the other side to stretch teams, we also don't have the attacking quality in the full backs to pose the necessary threat from wide areas when we stretch teams. We don't have a midfield masestro who then can pick out a pass centrally through the middle when our opponents are stretched and are leaving gaps. Henderson's game, not just his mind - those fb areas too as they are key as well, now come under the microscope a little.

I think playing a 4-4-1-1 or 2 could help us to naturally widen the pitch more, as centrally it's all to congested and static and easy to defend against.

Karius/Migs

Clyne       Matip    Lovren    Moreno

Mane    Henderson  Gini/Lal     Milner

Cout 

Origi/Studge/Firm 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #37: Feb 05, 2017 10:47:41 am
      We are set up to win the ball back quickly in the oppositions half and against the sh*t teams who just sit deep it just means we are making things even more narrow and compressing the play by not letting them out.
      On the rare occasion we have had the opportunity to counter our transition has been extremely poor.

So Might be an idea to tweak things to let teams come out a bit more and we might find a but more space because under the current tactics the only space on the pitch is the flanks and unfortunately Clyne and Milner are sh*t as attacking full backs.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,525 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Feb 05, 2017 11:10:37 am
      Milner is right footed, and generally has to check, slowing things down, and cross with his right. For games against bus parkers, give Moreno a run, try to get him in behind the FB and get crosses in quicker.
      If our FB is going to the endline, and a cross is coming in, get more guys INTO the box. How many times you see almost nobody in there - how often do our midfielders break into the box ?! mix it up who goes in, Hendo, Can or Gini. Gini took his goal well against Chavs, but we need to get more bodies IN the box, and more often - not around it.
      Or just drop Can or Gini, and have Hendo in the middle with Lallana, move Milner in there with them and not stuck on the left, more on the right.
      Still not sure that would be enough. We don't have a 'big strong' striker option that can play ball into and play off. We had a window, we decided against unfortunately. Just have to hope the guys we have find their shooting boots that have been misplaced recently.
      Can't see what option we have apart from getting the ball into the box quicker, and getting more guys in there to get on the end of it. Hendo, Gini or whoever need to take a leaf out of SGs book and break into the box more, even if not getting on the end of it, they make space for someone else who might.
      Oh, and practise set pieces, and shooting. We have plenty of time to do that over the coming months.
      And last, don't buy the 'they're tired' or not good enough w.r.t. players. We have 75% possession or whatever it generally is - we just need to do something USEFUL with it !! We can beat/compete with the top teams, we just need strategy to break down the busparkers - once we get first goal, game opens up and it's suits us better.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39: Feb 05, 2017 11:15:45 am
      Klopp is very loyal to his players so there will not be massive changes in personnel in the summer, quality over quantity is required, a change of style isn't the problem in my book just need to do it with more pace and quality
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,153 posts | 2781 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Feb 05, 2017 11:54:53 am
      Doesn't matter what we'd change only what Jürgen changes. Maybe this season or at least last 5 or 6 weeks will be a learning curve for him and the reality of the English game.

Plan b and c are required from time to time and a finisher even if he's doesn't break his bollox off the ball
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,742 posts | 569 
      Reply #41: Feb 05, 2017 12:19:01 pm
      How many exceptional keepers have we had since Grobbelaar left us? Seriously, how many? One? Reina? little over 2 decades and we have only ever had one(for 3 seasons) worthy of the GK shirt.

If we want to start winning titles and cups again, we need to f**king build from the back and start with an exceptional-world class GK.

Liverpool fc simply doesnt acknowledge the gk position

If mignolets errors and karius were just halved we would be competing, the whole side knows we are going to concede and therefore this intensifies the pressure to score - when we don't score first we lose more often than not
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #42: Feb 05, 2017 12:39:26 pm
      Klopp is very loyal to his players so there will not be massive changes in personnel in the summer, quality over quantity is required, a change of style isn't the problem in my book just need to do it with more pace and quality

Well we tried that last Summer and look where it's got us. This Summer we need quantity of quality as our focus. No more F***ing about, no more excuses, no more 'coaching over buying' bollocks, this has gone on long enough because we're all sick of this perennial flattering to deceive. He has precedent for this, bringing in thirteen players in his first season at Dortmund. If FSG won't back him, they should sell up and F**k off. As you can probably tell, my patience with this bullshit has reached its limit.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 523 
      Reply #43: Feb 05, 2017 01:13:02 pm
      I've always disagreed with this notion. I think we need more players in midfield when against bus parkers. Central defenders are most comfortable when they have the striker within arms reach and basically get told where to go by where he goes.

To beat the bus parkers I believe you need more offensive midfielders, ones that are prepared and able to run beyond or past a defender or two. Being the lone striker against these types of teams ia thankless task, just adding him a mate to complain to wont help.

Today we perhaps missed Gini, but all through this slump I've felt we've needed so much more from the players who get given the space or opportunity on the ball. The instincts just aren't in tune with the system from either Milner/Clyne or Can, I just don't feel they recongise their responsibilities and just repeat the same picture almost every time. How many times does Coutinho or Lallana get the ball and all you see is Clyne or Milner overlap but not able to go beyond the defender simply because it's unnatural for Milner (wrong foot) and Clyne doesn't have the ability.

To counter-act this you can go to 5 at the back. The misconception being this a more defensive approach, it isn't. it offers width from players who can be more offensive minded and on the break you are left less exposed. In many ways I believe we play this in open play anyway but unfortunately our 6 is often nowhere to be seen on a break and it is his job to be the first point that stops or at least delays a break-away. So for me the problem lies away from the CF position when it comes to bus parkers.

I think the plan of getting midfielders coming from deep is basically the same principle as what we are trying to do now, even if you would tweak the formation a bit.

One of the reasons this doesn't work as well against bus parkers is that your attacking mibfielders and FBs/wing-backs starting positions are in front of their defensive midfielder/FB opposite numbers. As long as their DMs etc do their jobs and track the runners, it's still hard to get any space.

Whereas if a striker whose starting postion is up against one of their defenders comes short towards the ball, the DMs dont see him coming at first cos they are all facing up the pitch towards the guy in possession. It is up to a defender to come out with the striker. But this then creates a space in the defence for the striker's partner. So our midfielder in possession in the middle of the park, looking to make a pass, gets 2 options - a striker suddenly coming towards the ball, and another striker behind him with space to run into.

To me this is an easier way to create space in a packed defence than trying to run past people into that packed defence. (Plus you also have 2 strikers in the box to get on the end of crosses, when the ball is out wide.)
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,306 posts | 277 
      Reply #44: Feb 05, 2017 01:53:21 pm
      I'd go 3 at the back. Can obviously has to play under Klopp so he plays alongside Matip and Lovren.

This is difficult because for it to work Moreno would as the only natural left footer go in at left wing back. Then I wouldn't be averse to Milner at RWB over the awkward Clyne.

Henderson and Wijnaldum central.

Coutinho, Firmino, Mane as the forward 3. Lallana sub to add a little threat for once from off bench.

Not too fussed if that bench option is Lallana, Firmino or Coutinho in fairness. All been poor for a while now, except Firmino in 1 game.

That's pretty much what I would do, I wouldn't play Firmino TBH I don't like him goes missing and is wasteful. I'd play Sturridge and Origi as one thing that really pees me off is constantly whipping in crosses for mainly small/medium attacking midfielders masquerading as centre forwards .
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #45: Feb 05, 2017 02:00:47 pm
      Me skiddies after watching the no show at Hull.

Quick Reply