Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

What would you change?

Read 12409 times
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Re: What would you change?
      Reply #46: Feb 05, 2017 03:57:55 pm
      we need to be ruthless

cut the deadwood

invest in winners

add proven talent (at at top level) into the team

replace Henderson as the captain

deadwood

All the keepers
      Moreno
      Klavan
      Sakho
      Lovren
      Wisdom
      Lucas
      Can
      Stewart
      Origi
      Ings
      Markovic

we need to get some winners in, people who have actually won trophies and still have the winning mentality - admittedly we will need to convince some of our project, but that's the state of play now so we have to acknowledge and deal with it.

whens the last time we went and brought one of the star players from our rivals? Sanchez is hesitating on signing a new contract - we should be all over it

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #47: Feb 05, 2017 05:51:42 pm

Minds, tactics, confidence levels, personnel, positions!  Change them all.  Oh and Emre for Gigi.  Please...

Neil Atkinson of The Anfield Wrap says the lads need a good all-out bust up, stop the coach and have a ding-dong to clear the air!  I like his style, but this is 2017 not 1974, and although I remember the old days a little too well, even I know that internal fisticuffs isn't the Liverpool Way.  Not any more.
      I think there's an entrenched mindset that's set in.  Come matchday, against a team like Hull or (let's face it) everyone outside Bournemouth, the Blueshite and the top 6, the lads seem to look at each other, say, "Oh bugger, it's happening again, lads!" and fall into safe routines and habits like actors with a tired old script.  They don't even looked surprised anymore when a HCFC or a SCFC score aginst us. 

There are some excellent ideas on this forum about how the team could try different tactics or formations to defeat a deep, well-set defence.  The key word is "TRY."  Yet what DO we try?  The same old ineffective, slow, naive gameplan.  To me-to you; repeat ad nauseum.  The same players in the same old positions.  That old phrase about the definition of madness comes to mind.  That about repeating the same old routines yet expecting a different outcome.

I find it hard to remember a team that's lost confidence and lost its way so completely, after such a superb first half of a season.  Maybe Newcastle in the 90's, when Keegan's Mavericks suddenly looked in the rear-view mirror to see Ferguson's bas**rds coming up behind them and Special K choked?  I worry for Klopp, I really do.  He doesn't look the same man who washed the teacups for the cameras at Exeter last season, or kissed the topless and jubilant Lallana at Carrow Road.  He looks tired, lost and frustrated.   If he needs a bit of help he could do worse than to read what some of us say on LFCReds, and try something, ANYthing different.  Put Manninger (or Lucas) in goal?  Milner in midfield (yeah, I know, a bit left-field that one)? Bring back Moreno?  Stick Can in at CB?  Play Daniel Sturridge for more than ten minutes?  Give Woodburn a run of games? 

Do you know what?  Any of those (except maybe the Lucas one!) would give me a frisson of positive excitement for just long enough to start believing again (and before I get killed, I think I DO still believe, in spite of everything) that we still have the best manager in the world for LFC.  Anything but Can in midfield again, beaten on the break again, Firmino up top again, to me-to you across the 18 yard box and back, again.  And again.  And again.   

So in answer to the OP, my answer is SOMETHING.  Change something.   For the love of LFC, PLEASE!

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #48: Feb 05, 2017 05:57:47 pm
      I would also like to change the Premier League table please...  :f_doh:

Those results today rub salt into the wound. Utterly outrageous to see that Man Utd are now 1 single point behind us, with us now in 5th. 4 weeks ago we were 2nd placed and most likely to give Chelsea a run.

:mad:

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #49: Feb 05, 2017 06:14:58 pm
      I'd stop this intensive pressing style from start to finish and just try and mix it up a bit with counter attacking from us.
      Let the opposition have the bloody ball and come on to us for a change instead of us wearing ourselves out constantly pressing and harrying.
      Let the opposition do it for a change we've being sussed in that department.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #50: Feb 05, 2017 06:47:13 pm
      I would also like to change the Premier League table please...  :f_doh:

Those results today rub salt into the wound. Utterly outrageous to see that Man Utd are now 1 single point behind us, with us now in 5th. 4 weeks ago we were 2nd placed and most likely to give Chelsea a run.

:mad:

What was it, 5 points behind Chelsea and 10 points ahead of Utd? Crazy.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #51: Feb 05, 2017 07:29:07 pm
      I'd stop this intensive pressing style from start to finish and just try and mix it up a bit with counter attacking from us.
      Let the opposition have the bloody ball and come on to us for a change instead of us wearing ourselves out constantly pressing and harrying.
      Let the opposition do it for a change we've being sussed in that department.

We only geggenpress against the Top teams, there is no need against the sh*te as they are happy to let us have the ball.

The point you make about drawing teams out is a good one but none of the top teams have ever effectively done that it's up to us to be more creative, pass quicker, take on players etc ie we need top quality players.
      Not one of our midfielders is capable of doing the above or even break the lines with a incisive pass from deep.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #52: Feb 05, 2017 07:42:40 pm
      A midfielder with goals in him wouldn't be a bad shout. How we all laughed at the time, but old Gylffi Sigghurdsen was never the clown that many made him out to be on here. If HE were on the bench, would HE have got on over the last month or so, or maybe even started in front of Can?
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #53: Feb 05, 2017 09:10:25 pm
      A midfielder with goals in him wouldn't be a bad shout. How we all laughed at the time, but old Gylffi Sigghurdsen was never the clown that many made him out to be on here. If HE were on the bench, would HE have got on over the last month or so, or maybe even started in front of Can?

It always interests me Mick, how quick we, as a fanbase, are so quick to write-off players who are linked with the club on the basis that they play for the so-called lesser teams. 

If we'd followed that logic in the glory days, we'd never have bought players like Barnes, McMahon, Beardsley, I could go on and on.  Yep, we could have done with Sigurdsson's set-piece quality in more than one game recently!  Good players in bang-average teams tend to stand out, don't they?  While when they get into good teams they tend to thrive and get better. 
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #54: Feb 05, 2017 09:39:55 pm
      Looks like there's gonna be two unhappy players come the end of the season. Think we should start making moves for them now !
      Schmeichel and Aguero !
      That'll be a start !
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #55: Feb 05, 2017 09:41:29 pm

We have one in Lallana? And I wouldn't mind seeing Hendo there too, I reckon he'd add some goals in the more attacking midfield role.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #56: Feb 05, 2017 09:43:26 pm
      Easy have all our players wearing "Joe 90" glasses, each glass programed with the world best players for each position  :f_whistle:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #57: Feb 05, 2017 09:53:13 pm
      Do not know what has gone so wrong lately, seem to be going into freefall. At this rate Everton will overtake us ! Change the way the defence is playing for a start. Also change the players attitude, they are not doing justice to the high salaries that they are paid.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,417 posts | 3413 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #58: Feb 05, 2017 10:00:15 pm
      Easy have all our players wearing "Joe 90" glasses, each glass programed with the world best players for each position  :f_whistle:

I used to have joe 90 glasses as a kid, did me F**k all good, haha
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #59: Feb 05, 2017 10:04:29 pm
      Play with two strikers instead of one or none as we have been doing would be a start. Our defence its not going to improve by the end of the season, so we need to get back to outscoring the opposition.
      Strikers score goals, attacking midfielders provide the ammo and chip in with the odd goal. That's the traditional way of doing things, and since we need a change of tact, why not give it ago?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #60: Feb 05, 2017 10:46:51 pm
      So Might be an idea to tweak things to let teams come out a bit more

With our defence and keeper I think we should try and stick to containing teams in their own half.

Inviting them on to create space, in our current form, seems a recipe for further trouble.

If we made a better job of set pieces that might give some return. A Premier League club that has 14 corners should be getting something from at least one IMO.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #61: Feb 06, 2017 09:20:22 am
      The last line rings true to me. We had 14 corners and not one of them created so much as a goal mouth scramble from memory. We crossed it, they headed it out.

I'd like to see Hull try and defend that many against the other top teams and do it so easily.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #62: Feb 06, 2017 09:28:26 am
      The last line rings true to me. We had 14 corners and not one of them created so much as a goal mouth scramble from memory. We crossed it, they headed it out.

I'd like to see Hull try and defend that many against the other top teams and do it so easily.

Only one in about 103 corners end in a goal. They're a bit of a false hope, you're more likely to score a worldy from 35 yards then you are a corner!
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #63: Feb 06, 2017 09:28:28 am
      I think there was one occasion that produced an attempt at goal and a save from their keeper from the corner.

It can't be that difficult to launch the ball into the box at a small distance away from the keeper. Whether short, or long, the distance from the keeper can remain the same. What we often get wrong is the height of the ball, or the pace, or well... a lot more actually.  :-\

A couple of posts have muted the 2 forward strikers option I also suggested in the OP. Would love to see that given a go - and a proper go at that i.e. a couple of games. I would also agree on the suggestion of just about trying anything to at least give us hope that Klopp himself is prepared to change. Pushing Milner back into midfield again may not be a bad shout with either Moreno (well, can it get any worse?) or a back 3 instead.

Tottenham is not the bar to judge the team on, as we know we always up our game and go for it, combined with the fact that Spurs themselves will go for the win so we have an open game. But at least, I'd like to see Can dropped and possibly Firmino from his striker role for this one.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #64: Feb 06, 2017 10:08:21 am
      Milner is right footed, and generally has to check, slowing things down, and cross with his right. For games against bus parkers, give Moreno a run, try to get him in behind the FB and get crosses in quicker.
      If our FB is going to the endline, and a cross is coming in, get more guys INTO the box. How many times you see almost nobody in there - how often do our midfielders break into the box ?! mix it up who goes in, Hendo, Can or Gini. Gini took his goal well against Chavs, but we need to get more bodies IN the box, and more often - not around it.
      Or just drop Can or Gini, and have Hendo in the middle with Lallana, move Milner in there with them and not stuck on the left, more on the right.
      Still not sure that would be enough. We don't have a 'big strong' striker option that can play ball into and play off. We had a window, we decided against unfortunately. Just have to hope the guys we have find their shooting boots that have been misplaced recently.
      Can't see what option we have apart from getting the ball into the box quicker, and getting more guys in there to get on the end of it. Hendo, Gini or whoever need to take a leaf out of SGs book and break into the box more, even if not getting on the end of it, they make space for someone else who might.
      Oh, and practise set pieces, and shooting. We have plenty of time to do that over the coming months.
      And last, don't buy the 'they're tired' or not good enough w.r.t. players. We have 75% possession or whatever it generally is - we just need to do something USEFUL with it !! We can beat/compete with the top teams, we just need strategy to break down the busparkers - once we get first goal, game opens up and it's suits us better.

Exactly, in the last 8 games or so we dallied inside the oppo half and had something like 75% possession and yet not scoring. That sums up to only one thing, we intended to have all the possession but without a real intend to score goals. If we don;t move fast enough and commit enough bodies and create chaos inside the opposition box we ain't gonna score any goals, even if we continue to try for the next 10 hours.

So, it came as no surprise to me that we failed to score in the last few games when all the crosses coming into the box just to give the oppo defence some heading and clearance practice. Not enough bodies committed inside the oppo box and lazy buggers did not move to meet those crosses coming in. Intelligent movement and positioning inside the box has also gone missing.

Hamann is right to say we needed guile and steel in midfield that we had none of it at the moment. Firminho and Lallana have goine missing far too many games that I have come to expect of and only comes good once in a while, that's inconsistent form. Too many inconsistent players will not win us anything in the long run. I'd think time to promote some academy players and drop some senior players from the starting line-up. They cannot be any worst that the lot at the moment.

Someone has mentioned Moreno, yes he's a headless chicken when comes to defending but sadly it appears that he and Mane are the only ones that dare to take on defenders while the rest are going sideways and backwards most of the time.
      « Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017 10:35:50 am by redkop63 »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #65: Feb 06, 2017 10:19:42 am
      Traditionally when you get a run  of utterly sh!te, gutless performances you'd say "right f*** this I've had enough. You, you, you and you are all dropped, sit on your backside for a bit and ponder how you're going to get back into the team. As for you four over here, here's the shirt and here's your chance. Take it".

The problem we have (and IMHO is also a big contributor to how we've fallen off the rails) is we don't really have the option of doing that. Aside from sticking Karius in for Mignolet and possibly Wijnaldum in for Can, what options do we have? Yes Lovren would replace Lucas, but in fairness to all of those changes they've all had sh!te performances during this run too! It's not like we have ANYONE who's been kicking their heels and is chomping at the bit, even Sturridge has hardly lit the thing up when he's come on. Broadly speaking all of our changes are more of the same alterations, and it's the lack of depth and quality of squad which is tripping us up.

Next game is against the current best team in the league on form IMHO, so we can probably sit in and gegenpresse. To be honest the way we're playing a point would be a decent result.   
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #66: Feb 06, 2017 10:31:29 am
      With our defence and keeper I think we should try and stick to containing teams in their own half.

Inviting them on to create space, in our current form, seems a recipe for further trouble.

If we made a better job of set pieces that might give some return. A Premier League club that has 14 corners should be getting something from at least one IMO.

Haha know what you mean regarding our keeper and defence.

The other plus of not penning the opposition in is that we would not have the need for such a high line. The second goal for Hull highlights our problems a simple long ball had our back line in panic with a acres of space for their attacker to exploit our pace less CB's.

Considering the number of crosses coming in from the fullbacks and we don't play with a recognised big man up top why are we not cutting the ball back from the bye line instead of those stupid lofted crosses?

A cut back from the bye line is probably more dangerous for defenders with on rushing attackers.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017 03:11:25 pm by HScRed1 »
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #67: Feb 06, 2017 03:29:11 pm
      I think that's fair Mick, especially in attacking areas we don't have enough to change style. Personally think that is a lot down to how Origi and Sturridge are impotent at the moment, bringing either on seems to have absolutely no impact so Jürgen is understandably left scratching his head.

Now we can point to the injuries to Ings or we can say that Jürgen should have seen that Sturridge and Origi wouldn't have enough for us moving forward but I actually reckon he's quite surprised (as are most of us) just how things have fallen for both of these.

In terms of midfield then Can's obvious struggles has us all a bit miffed. Sure there were many who were against the lad early last year but I think he'd starting winning quite a few over and there was nothing but encouragement to be seen by his late displays. Right now I'd not have him even on the bench. So our 'impact' players only impact the game in a negative sense and I'd agree that the changes aren't being made simply because Jürgen has lost a bit of faith in these players.

This kind of thing with our subs has seemed to go on forever . They just come on and settle straight into the mire. No impact whatsoever . In fact the last time i can remember a sub changing the direction of a game for us was Didi 2005 Final  and Jari Litmanen against Arsenal  in 2002 or 3 .

Yet subs come on AGAINST us and seem to have an effect alot of the time. f***in hell my heads battered.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #68: Feb 06, 2017 04:02:10 pm
      I am wondering, how many goals have we conceded due to counter attacks or flimsy defending? If we had a proper defensive midfielder (Kante? Masch? etc) , would we be more defensively stronger? Are the majority of us overrating Hendo?

Quick Reply