Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

What would you change?

Read 12334 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: What would you change?
      Reply #92: Feb 28, 2017 05:25:06 pm
      A small thing (considering our other problems) is the awarding of new contracts during the season?

What the hell is that about? You've done well for half the season so you're getting a pay rise?

Will Lallana and Coutinho be getting pay reductions based on the second half?

I think it's good practise to sign new deals throughout the year that way you don't get a log jam at the end of the year
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #93: Feb 28, 2017 05:41:00 pm
      I think it's good practise to sign new deals throughout the year that way you don't get a log jam at the end of the year

Fair enough, I suppose if it's normal practice and the done thing, then it needs to be done. Just strikes me as odd.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #94: Feb 28, 2017 05:46:04 pm
      Not enough competition within the squad - simple as that. 

I was one of Sakho's biggest fans but if something happened behind the scenes then something happened.  People have heard rumours but probably only a few know the truth.

BUT if he was going then Liverpool's real failure is not bringing anyone in. 

Lucas Leiva for fucks sake.  We've been defensively poor now for years and Lucas Leiva is consistently playing as our centre-half.  It is beyond belief.

And that is just 1 position JD.

Sadly at CB we are 1 injury away from Lucas going in there, due to the extremely odd decision of signing Klavan and realising he's useless.

The goalkeeping position - we have two number two goalkeepers.

Left back - Milner (a right mid/centre mid) or Moreno (a clusterfuck who JĆ¼rgen does not trust)

Right back - The very ungifted Clyne or a very raw TAA.

Midfield - A lot of very similar players in Hendo, Wijnaldum, Can. We are sadly at all times 1 inevtable injury away from being forced to play Emre Can.

Number 10s - loads of them, one playing wide, one playing in midfield and one playing as a striker.

Strikers - The ever willing Sturridge or Dancing Divvy Origi. Klopp has decided to go with the far from prolific Firmino over those two, and to be fair he's sadly probably right to do so.

The bench - an absolute waste of time, not one player on there could change a game.

Having a squad that finished mid table like last season, then turning in a profit on transfers will probably result in an all round pretry average bunch of players, and a pretty average campaign.

I just really do not understand what any of them were thinking. Manager, owner, comittee etc... what did they really think was going to happen?  :cool-smiley-027: :dunceblock: :cool-smiley-027:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #95: Feb 28, 2017 05:55:42 pm
      And that is just 1 position JD.

Sadly at CB we are 1 injury away from Lucas going in there, due to the extremely odd decision of signing Klavan and realising he's useless.

The goalkeeping position - we have two number two goalkeepers.

Left back - Milner (a right mid/centre mid) or Moreno (a clusterfuck who JĆ¼rgen does not trust)

Right back - The very ungifted Clyne or a very raw TAA.

Midfield - A lot of very similar players in Hendo, Wijnaldum, Can. We are sadly at all times 1 inevtable injury away from being forced to play Emre Can.

Number 10s - loads of them, one playing wide, one playing in midfield and one playing as a striker.

Strikers - The ever willing Sturridge or Dancing Divvy Origi. Klopp has decided to go with the far from prolific Firmino over those two, and to be fair he's sadly probably right to do so.

The bench - an absolute waste of time, not one player on there could change a game.

Having a squad that finished mid table like last season, then turning in a profit on transfers will probably result in an all round pretry average bunch of players, and a pretty average campaign.

As SOAG has pointed out many times and good on him this is the end product of a lack of coherent thinking i.e. Having a football brain directing the ship.

What you have described is a completely unbalanced squad and players bought by people sitting behind a keyboard and screen with no idea of how any of these players complement each other.

Although FSG can be accused of not spending appropriately but in my mind this is their biggest mistake not bringing in a highly respected DOF.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #96: Feb 28, 2017 07:46:13 pm
      Tackling is a thing of the past. It'll be out of the game completely at some point. Bunch of f**king fairies these days 😡

Interesting point.  Xabi Alonso is on record (Daily Mail Online 12 Nov 2011)as saying that he believes no modern top - flight pro should see tackling as a high-level skill, as it means he or the team have made a mistake that shouldn't have happened.  He meant that tackling shouldn't be seen as a quality to aspire to, a thing to applaud, whereas game awareness and tactical understanding are.

I don't entirely agree, as the game's nature is about the ebb and flow of mistake and capitalisation, but you can see his point, and it reflects the intended move towards a Barca-like emphasis on ball retention, movement and passing. 

I see a different Liverpool when we are up for a game (Spurs, Man C), as that's when we do get stuck in, with both energetic pressing and determined tackling.  Why that only happens in certain games but not others is a complete mystery.  Last night, the body language of the two teams was contrasting from the start, certainly once Vardy slammed into Mane in the first minute.  Imagine how a McMahon, a Souness, a Gerrard or a Case would have steeled the team after that moment. 
      georgemj1994
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #97: Feb 28, 2017 07:51:21 pm
      Honestly we need to get rid of the inconsistency Lucas, Moreno, Mignolet, Can, Lovren, Klavan, Henderson, Sturridge even Lallana Coutinho and Firmino have had long enough to prove themselves but all they do is go missing for 25 plus games. Klopp needs to change his style because every single team has worked it out plus this 4 3 3 sh*te is just not working. Klopp is the way forward i still believe but his loyalty towards out of form players and stubborness to change things is really killing us.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #98: Feb 28, 2017 07:59:30 pm
      l agree with georgemi he too loyalty with some players taught klopp would be more ruthless doing same as Rodgers not careful he be sack too
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #99: Mar 01, 2017 08:17:48 am
      what did they really think was going to happen?
      Exactly what has happened, is my guess.

* Signing JĆ¼rgen bought the investors 3 years (at least) of good will, grace and further non-investment, while the profit margins grow.

* For them, winning would be nice (maybe even preferable) but of no real importance as the actual football is of no real relevance in the grand scheme. A team which ticks over, just outside the top 4 (so that you don't have to "attract", buy and pay CL class players) suits fine... especially when fans are more than happy to cling to the hope that "there's always next year".

We fans are easily hoodwinked and willingly buy false hope... until we change the club won't. Look to yourselves Red men and women.

Understand this - the investors do NOT care: not about you, me, JĆ¼rgen or the team. 😉
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017 08:37:03 am by bad boy bubby »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #100: Mar 01, 2017 08:53:20 am
      Get rid of complacency & replace it with competivness in the team by adding quality competiton in the squad.

Over to FSG...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #101: Mar 01, 2017 09:04:42 am

Our owners.

Hopefully the replacement will have the reason for the very existence of the club as their primary objective.

As always financial reward goes hand in hand with success, be that an efficient business model or a successful football club.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #102: Mar 01, 2017 09:12:20 am

Our owners.

Hopefully the replacement will have the reason for the very existence of the club as their primary objective.

As always financial reward goes hand in hand with success, be that a business model or a successful football club.

I totally agree stuey,we never had any problems attracting top players in the 60s/70s/and 80s.Then again we had a board of directors who backed our managers in those days.I feel so sorry for younger supporters who have never experienced watching a successfull Liverpool.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #103: Mar 01, 2017 12:45:40 pm
      Leadership;

Gerrard's speech

ā€œAt half time, Rafa did a speech. He tried to boost and tried to put us back in the game,ā€ Ciise admitted. ā€œHe was really optimistic. But what really changed the game was Stevieā€™s speech.

ā€œHe asked nicely to the staff to be alone with the players and he said that he is a Liverpool kid, always been his club, he didnā€™t want to see his club being like this, being humiliated and he said if we scored in the first 15 minutes we would win the game and heā€™s the guy who scored the first goal.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #104: Mar 01, 2017 04:46:42 pm
      I think we need to change the way we play against the lower sides in the league.

It's a bit worrying that we only seem to have one way of playing and the same players playing no matter who the opposition is.

We don't have an issue against the top 6/7 sides in the league where our pressing game works fine. But against the bottom sides we very often seem out of ideas especially if we don't score early.

I'd go 3 4 3 for these games and make a change in the side areas and even be happy to concede a bit of possession and try and hit them on the break.

Karius

Clyne Matip Lovren

Milner Hendo Wjinaldum Moreno

Coutinho Lallana

Mane

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #105: Mar 01, 2017 05:58:22 pm
      You could change the owners, but that wouldn't reap any benefits until summer minimum if they were to leave right  now (which they aren't and won't).

So since we have decided we are living in the real world and not some fantasy one, I'd change our tactics against the lower teams and I'd change our transfer methodology of  apparently only going after our first choice and then saying screw it if we don't get them. I'd also  offer higher wages to a few stellar type players, and make the "role players" accept incentive based contracts to prove their worth. Better find a couple good leaders as well, guys  that will scratch, claw and fight and drag everyone along with them.

Not really a tall order is it? 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #106: Mar 01, 2017 06:26:01 pm
      I think we need to change the way we play against the lower sides in the league.

It's a bit worrying that we only seem to have one way of playing and the same players playing no matter who the opposition is.

We don't have an issue against the top 6/7 sides in the league where our pressing game works fine. But against the bottom sides we very often seem out of ideas especially if we don't score early.

I'd go 3 4 3 for these games and make a change in the side areas and even be happy to concede a bit of possession and try and hit them on the break.

Karius

Clyne Matip Lovren

Milner Hendo Wjinaldum Moreno

Coutinho Lallana

Mane

Kind of what they were doing in the 2nd half isn't it? Except Can was in the back and at least a couple of times it was hard to tell on TV whether Clyne or Milner were on the wing. Personally if we played this way against the bunker teams, I'd put Phil and Sadio behind Divock Origi. I wouldn't want Lallana in one of the main goal-scoring positions because, for all his industry in the press, for the most part with us, he hasn't scored.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #107: Mar 01, 2017 07:47:25 pm
      Get rid of complacency & replace it with competivness in the team by adding quality competiton in the squad.

Over to FSG...

Start off by putting Flanagan in over Clyne. Not necessarily as "gifted" as Clyne, but I guarantee he'll knock the stuffing out of him all day long. Got to have a couple of scousers in because we KNOW it means that much more to them than some other random player. At the very least, they have to have the right attitude...

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #108: Mar 01, 2017 07:55:23 pm
      Kind of what they were doing in the 2nd half isn't it? Except Can was in the back and at least a couple of times it was hard to tell on TV whether Clyne or Milner were on the wing. Personally if we played this way against the bunker teams, I'd put Phil and Sadio behind Divock Origi. I wouldn't want Lallana in one of the main goal-scoring positions because, for all his industry in the press, for the most part with us, he hasn't scored.

Yep.

Phil and Mane behind Origi is another option or even better when Danny is fit Phil behind Mane and him.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #109: Mar 01, 2017 08:13:14 pm
      ''The Liverpool squad have another trip planned away to Tenerife later this month'' (Sam Wallace - Telegraph)

He could stop rewarding them with holidays on the beach for the sh*t they delivered this year..bunch of primadonas
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #110: Mar 01, 2017 08:32:50 pm
      We seem to do fairly well against the better sides so I wouldn't go changing too much in that regard, perhaps tinker with the front 3 or/and introduce subs earlier, perhaps to inject pace/fresher legs from 65mins, I feel sometimes JĆ¼rgen leaves it too late for subs to make a impact...

Against the bus parkers I'd like to see us go 3 at the back, a extra body in midfield and go two up top, again with extra pace injected from the bench, I think pace is key to get through the buses, so I'd go with thus, 3,4,1,2.....

Karius
               Clyne.  Matip. Lovren 
       Lallana. Wijnaldum  Hendo Milner
                          Coutinho
                   Mane.       Firmino

Bench ; Mignolet, Gomez, Klavan, Can,TAA,, Sturridge /Ings, Origi

Go on JĆ¼rgen, give it a go, what's the worst that can happen??

YNWA
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #111: Mar 01, 2017 08:47:38 pm
      Leadership;

Gerrard's speech

ā€œAt half time, Rafa did a speech. He tried to boost and tried to put us back in the game,ā€ Ciise admitted. ā€œHe was really optimistic. But what really changed the game was Stevieā€™s speech.

ā€œHe asked nicely to the staff to be alone with the players and he said that he is a Liverpool kid, always been his club, he didnā€™t want to see his club being like this, being humiliated and he said if we scored in the first 15 minutes we would win the game and heā€™s the guy who scored the first goal.

I'm still heartbroken that Gerrard and Carra didn't win a PL,  it haunts me that 2013/14 after finally thinking we've done it...
      Anyway now we need players who understand what it means to play for Liverpool,  we need to be in the market for the world's top players and might be a bit fanciful but a bit more of a British heart?? The only reason I say this is again players have to know who they are playing for, Kenny  Dalglish I think was instilling this before he had the rug pulled he is a winner who wouldn't stand for lack of effort for this club.
      I know a lot won't agree  but that's what I would change, any foreign players coming in need to be top drawer and a few more home grown players you need a good mix I think.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #112: Mar 03, 2017 08:14:39 am
      After our latest annual demise, barring the Spurs performance, we need to change the lumbering players such as Can and Lucas, the keepers, either one would be backup to a top drawer keeper.
      We need a powerful dominating player to play along side an intelligent, astute, creative midfielder. Two decent full backs, and the manager yo step up and realise you can't play a slow, past his best defensive midfielder such as Lucas, against a forward with the electric pace of Vardy, and then to push up and play a high line giving him all the space he needs to run into. Furthermore, when you're getting torn apart, don't leave it until the 84th minute to change things !
      Sorry lads, becoming totally disillusioned with how things are going at the mo, and most of it seems self inflicted, bar a couple of injuries.

Quick Reply