Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool v Spurs - Saturday 11/02/17 K.O. 17.30

Read 12852 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool v Spurs - Saturday 11/02/17 K.O. 17.30
      Reply #23: Feb 07, 2017 10:12:26 am
      I know where you are coming from but our issues are against teams that park 10 players behind the ball.
      Spurs like our selves like to press aggressively in the middle and final third of the pitch.

Two of their better players Rose and Vertongen will also be missing.

Edit : We smashed Barca earlier in the season so maybe Hull are better than Barca  :D

Sorry but Hull didn't park 10 players behind the ball, neither did Swansea, both teams simply outplayed us by soaking up ineffectual attacks then countering, its a pretty good tactic.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #24: Feb 07, 2017 10:28:42 am
      Sorry but Hull didn't park 10 players behind the ball, neither did Swansea, both teams simply outplayed us by soaking up ineffectual attacks then countering, its a pretty good tactic.

Nonsense
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #25: Feb 07, 2017 10:53:37 am
      Maybe this might play in our hands? Spurs are even better at us in having lots of possession (think they might have the highest possession stat in the league?)

We could...you know...counter attack them? We have creative players and now with Mane back, some pace.

Or is counter attack a dirty word  :couch:
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #26: Feb 07, 2017 11:37:34 am
      Thank god we've got a week between games.

absolutley nothing like a mid-week defeat to make you dread the weekend defeat or draw (as their top 6)
      rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #27: Feb 07, 2017 11:40:43 am
      Turn up like we did against Chelsea we have a chance  turn up like we did against ....you know the rest
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #28: Feb 07, 2017 11:44:42 am
      I hope Klopp doesn't change his philosophy for this match. The changes I would make is replace Gini with Can and Klavan/Lovren/Gomez for Lucas. This is not the game to go in with so many changes - Spurs are no mugs. We do well against the sides that like to play football and our record is good against Spurs. We go again.

Klopp should make more changes against the teams who sit with 2 banks of 5. For those matches, replace Clyne with Milner (who was good at crossing the ball for Man City) and Moreno (wash out my mouth with soap) on the left. I know Moreno can't defend but if the team is just defending then there would not be much defending. Also, I would send Can on a long holiday until next season or perhaps even sell in summer. The tactics from us should be simple in this case - keep our midfield in our half with just the forwards in the opposition half. Give the ball to the opposition and then counter on their attacks if they are willing to play football. At least that way we won't lose and hopefully get a goal or two on the counter.

I have full confidence of our win against the Spuds. 2-1 to us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #29: Feb 07, 2017 11:50:27 am
      Didn't get to watch the games eh?

Most times there were 8 players in their own penalty area and the other two were just outside.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #30: Feb 07, 2017 02:05:27 pm
      Because of last weekends result we need to at least take away a point from this game... Three would be great, can I honestly see it?...No
      Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #31: Feb 07, 2017 04:39:36 pm
      Didn't get to watch the games eh?

Most times there were 8 players in their own penalty area and the other two were just outside.

The only thing Heimdall got wrong is that it wasn't just Hull and Swansea, it was Wolves as well. Totally outthought with inferior players and tactics.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #32: Feb 07, 2017 05:34:25 pm
      Interesting to see whether Pochettino has them playing the way they usually do or whether they'll also sit back and try and counter like the smaller teams have done to us. Got a feeling they will look to attack though.

We'll have had a whole week to feel sorry for ourselves by the time this one comes around so I'm expecting a reaction. A lot of people expect us to drift away from the top four now and I think having that pressure off might suit us.

Team wise, not a game for drastic changes IMO. Play a bloody centre back with Matip  though please Jürgen. If Lovren and Klavan aren't available then get Gomez in there. Drop Can and get Wijnaldum in. Toss up between Sturridge or Firmino to lead the line.

Think we'll win 3-2.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #33: Feb 07, 2017 06:28:51 pm
      The only thing Heimdall got wrong is that it wasn't just Hull and Swansea, it was Wolves as well. Totally outthought with inferior players and tactics.

Not really. How many chances did they have? They sat back, defended and let us have the ball and then really took advantage of the few chances they had. There  was a clear gulf in talent for everyone to see, but  our talented players wanked around and couldn't finish. Simple as.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Feb 07, 2017 07:50:35 pm
      Against the best teams in the league we have:

defeated Arsenal away, 4-3
      drawn Spurs away, 1-1
      defeated Chelsea away 2-1
      drawn Man United home 0-0
      defeated Spurs at home in League Cup 2-1
      defeated Man City at home 1-0
      drawn Man United away 1-1
      drawn Chelsea at home 1-1

Our losses are to Hull City, Wolves in FA Cup, Southampton twice in League Cup, Swansea and Burnley.

So go ahead and tell me we can't win this match Saturday.
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #35: Feb 07, 2017 11:27:41 pm
      Confident we'll win this, the problem isn't against the "bigger" teams its the so called "lesser" sides. IMO its down to attitude, the 2 best performances in January were against Man Utd and Chelsea. Yes the smallerteams sit in but thats no excuse.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Feb 08, 2017 01:51:41 am
      The holiday is over and it is time to get back to winning ways.If Spurs park the bus(don't think they will} we will just have to let their tires down so they get stuck in one place. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #37: Feb 08, 2017 01:53:39 am
      Confident we'll win this, the problem isn't against the "bigger" teams its the so called "lesser" sides. IMO its down to attitude, the 2 best performances in January were against Man Utd and Chelsea. Yes the smallerteams sit in but thats no excuse.

I am a bit disappointed you think United are a big team,agree with your post otherwise.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #38: Feb 08, 2017 02:29:26 am
      A draw isn't enough because we would remain four points behind Spurs and depending on other results we could end up in 6th place three points off the top four.

Arsenal are at home to Hull which you would expect them to win despite Hull taking points off us and the mancs recently. The mancs are at home to Watford which you would also expect them to win. City probably have the toughest game because they are away at Bournemouth but you would still expect them to win.

The pressure is on but it's a must win game. If we lose, Spurs obviously go 7 clear of us and we can't afford that to happen. We need to close the gap on them and drag them back into the dog fight with us.

I've been very critical of our performances of late and I've described some of our players as bottlers. This is the perfect game for them to shut the likes of me up. It's a huge, huge game. A draw is a good result for Spurs because it keeps us at arms length but we HAVE to win, the pressure is all on us.

In those situations this season where we have expected to win or needed to win we have fallen short. It's time to put an end to that starting Saturday.

I expect the team to be:

Karius (mignolet is getting dropped after Hull)

Clyne
      Matip
      Klavan
      Milner

Can
      Hendo
      Lallana

Coutinho
      Firmino
      Mane

If things aren't going to plan then hopefully Jürgen changes things much more quickly than usual.

red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #39: Feb 08, 2017 05:56:05 am
      Let's just produce a stellar performance and get back to our old winning ways.Gini comes in for Can and Karius for Mignolet.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #40: Feb 08, 2017 06:29:58 am
      When have we ever had everything go our way, when have we had a season we didn't go through the mill?

We've more often than not at some point struggled for form at some stage of a campaign, this just happens to be that time right now,
      The campaign trail has and always will have bumps and potholes along the way ,

It's probably a good time to be facing Spuds, a top 4 rival and obviously playing better than we are presently, I think we have city soon as well,
      We can use this as a platform to launch ourselves out of the slump we're in and charge up a few notches in the table,

There is far too many negative vibes in these boards, understandable yes but irrespective of disappointing results we all have to remain positive,
      We all go through it each and every one of us, we were all cursing and gutted with the Hull game, we've all had the sh*t from mates and felt lower than shark sh*t, yet we all come back each and every week for more... WHY?.....

Because we believe, we believe in our club, we believe in our manager, we believe in our players and we believe in ourselves,

Every week we face a challenge this week it's Spuds, forget last week that's history, we go on, we try again, Spuds are no different to us, there not as good imo , their form is better obviously but that's the only advantage they have if I'm honest,
      We always do well against top 4-6 sides so there's absolutely no reason we won't do so again,

I'm confident we will take all three points and put us back in the top 4....

Karius
         Clyne  Matip Lovren Milner
             Henderson  Wijnaldum
           Mane.  Lallana  Coutinho
                         Firmino

Bench ; Mignolet, Gomez, Klavan, Can, Sturridge Origi, TAA

Probably our best X1, strong bench too, let's see us employ pace and return to the gegenpressing in your face heavy metal we're gonna F**k you over football,
      No lily livered side to side we pose no threat beige boring pish we seen a month or so back,

Pace is the key for me, allows our creators to open defences almost at will, get Mane running at them, with Coutinho pulling the strings, Lallana and Bobby dragging players left and right and rotating, getting inbetween lines and causing havoc,
      Do this and we will win, regain our confidence and shake off the shackles and March on to CL qualification,

BELIEVE!!!!

YNWA
      rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #41: Feb 08, 2017 07:37:45 am
      Dont see Mignolet being dropped think despite Hull he has done ok and you are just moving the problem . Karius is not good enough . City have a reliable keeper to come in we dont think it would be a mistake but its our own doing as both clearly not good enough to hold No1
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #42: Feb 08, 2017 10:44:03 am
      Really need to return to winning ways against Spurs. We could end up behind the Mancs, if we lose again.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #43: Feb 08, 2017 11:20:44 am
      Gini for Can
      Lovren for Lucas *
      Karius for Mig

time to get back on the horse and compete

* If Lovren not available, one for Hansen, Lawrenson or Gillespie - who despite their age, are probably still quicker than Lucas

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #44: Feb 08, 2017 11:29:17 am
      We'll batter them

(Then get beat by Leicester)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #45: Feb 08, 2017 12:08:46 pm