Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC ban S*n reporters from Anfield

Read 4854 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      LFC ban S*n reporters from Anfield
      Feb 10, 2017 05:17:49 pm
      Liverpool Football Club has banned reporters at The Sun newspaper from attending matches at Anfield due to its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

The Independent understands that press accreditations from any reporters covering matches from The Sun will not be approved, meaning that the newspaper’s football journalists will be denied entry to Anfield for any matches across all competitions.

It will also be refused any access to interviews with the players, as well as manager Jürgen Klopp, with the decision believed to have come after the club’s directors held talks with the families of those who died in the tragedy. The decision is believed to have been made on Thursday night.

A renewed campaign to boycott The Sun increased momentum in recent months, with the Hillsborough Family Support Group giving its backing to The Total Eclipse of The S*n campaign, and it led to many retailers across Liverpool deciding against stocking the newspaper.

When contacted by The Independent, The Sun issued the following statement: "The Sun and Liverpool FC have had a solid working relationship for the 28 years since the Hillsborough tragedy. Banning journalists from a club is bad for fans and bad for football. The Sun can reassure readers this won’t affect our full football coverage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-ban-the-sun-hillsborough-disaster-reporters-attending-matches-anfield-a7573621.html

Good.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Re: LFC ban S*n reporters from Anfield
      Reply #1: Feb 10, 2017 05:20:37 pm
      Liverpool Football Club has banned reporters at The Sun newspaper from attending matches at Anfield due to its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

The Independent understands that press accreditations from any reporters covering matches from The Sun will not be approved, meaning that the newspaper’s football journalists will be denied entry to Anfield for any matches across all competitions.

It will also be refused any access to interviews with the players, as well as manager Jürgen Klopp, with the decision believed to have come after the club’s directors held talks with the families of those who died in the tragedy. The decision is believed to have been made on Thursday night.

A renewed campaign to boycott The Sun increased momentum in recent months, with the Hillsborough Family Support Group giving its backing to The Total Eclipse of The S*n campaign, and it led to many retailers across Liverpool deciding against stocking the newspaper.

When contacted by The Independent, The Sun issued the following statement: "The Sun and Liverpool FC have had a solid working relationship for the 28 years since the Hillsborough tragedy. Banning journalists from a club is bad for fans and bad for football. The Sun can reassure readers this won’t affect our full football coverage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-ban-the-sun-hillsborough-disaster-reporters-attending-matches-anfield-a7573621.html

Good.

About F***ing time.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #2: Feb 10, 2017 05:21:23 pm
      Very good news, should have done years ago.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3: Feb 10, 2017 05:22:39 pm
      Got to admit I thought it was already the case.

About time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Feb 10, 2017 05:24:13 pm

About time.

So did I.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Feb 10, 2017 05:26:12 pm
      Should have been banned the day after they printed their lies, f***in scum ridden sh*te wipe!!!

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Feb 10, 2017 05:28:00 pm
      Won't affect their football coverage haha,  ! You can't plumb any lower depths than their sh*t, long overdue
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: Feb 10, 2017 05:46:32 pm

About time.

I had just assumed. Good to hear nonetheless.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: Feb 10, 2017 05:50:54 pm
      Should have been done from day one...

I've never read that rag or ever will... Bunch of lying xenophobic racist muther fookers including that arl b***ard Murdoch & Mckenzie.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Feb 10, 2017 06:00:49 pm
      YES !
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #10: Feb 10, 2017 06:07:37 pm
      The only surprise is why it's taken so long?

However, it's now done and rightfully so...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #11: Feb 10, 2017 06:15:03 pm

About time.

Same here. Just presumed it was always the case.

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #12: Feb 10, 2017 06:22:58 pm
      Long overdue, but delighted it's been done. They certainly won't be missed. I wouldn't even accept my fish and chips wrapped in it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Feb 10, 2017 06:25:51 pm
      Remember a few months back when Klopp basically told their reporter to F**k off?

I wonder if he had a hand in this.

Still, whether he did or not, and as many others have said, about time.

The print media are starting to realise they don't have as much power these days, and that's a very good thing.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #14: Feb 10, 2017 06:42:51 pm
      Also assumed this had happened yonks ago.

Anyway, about time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Feb 10, 2017 06:59:08 pm

Was just about to pop in and say exactly the same. Pleased to here that this has finally been sorted, that is something we can all agree on.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Feb 10, 2017 08:04:57 pm
      Why is this happening now if it didn't happen years ago, have the sh*t rag printed anything recently?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #17: Feb 10, 2017 08:24:04 pm
      About F***ing time.

Lies aside, it's a sh*te paper anyway - lowest common denominator 'news' for people of low intelligence.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #18: Feb 10, 2017 08:29:46 pm
      What is the trigger for this now?

The timing is odd to me, the paper wasn't banned after Hillsborough and again wasn't banned immediately after the verdict.

All for banning their journalists but confused as to why they chose to now.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #19: Feb 10, 2017 08:44:16 pm
      A bit of positive news just as people are beginning to warm to the theme of our charlatan owners and the way they operate. Obviously a long overdue and good move, but the timing right now just after our season has imploded and we have had a positive NET spend over the last three windows? They are a piece of work this lot.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: Feb 10, 2017 08:53:25 pm
      Not sure here but I think they've always been banned since Hillsborough but this is more about backing the 'total eclipse of the sun' campaign.

I think it's more an official, 'if you enter as an independent and sell to the sun you'll be banned' kind of thing.

Thought the same mate in terms of the ban and you're probably right in your speculation.

It's welcome news anyway and anyone putting a cynical spin on it, I can understand their point of view but on this subject I think all cynicism should be left at the door and simply welcome it. No point whatsoever embroiling other problems onto this one in my opinion.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #21: Feb 10, 2017 09:50:56 pm
      A bit of positive news just as people are beginning to warm to the theme of our charlatan owners and the way they operate. Obviously a long overdue and good move, but the timing right now just after our season has imploded and we have had a positive NET spend over the last three windows? They are a piece of work this lot.

Good point but are they that clinical? Something as contrived as that could be a line crossed that has no return in the eyes of the supporters.

I've worked all over our country for 20 yrs and what would come up from time to time was the subject of that rag . Whether i was in a site canteen in Birmingham , Newcastle , Leeds , Glasgow , Plymouth, Swindon , Bradford , Manchester , Hull , Devon or Cardiff . At some point a local lad would say  " I stopped reading the Sxx after  what they wrote after Hillsborough "

Now what you would see in these canteens  were a table of workmates all with different newspapers. It would be a mix of Mirror , Star , Mail , Sport , Times and Sxx .

But everytime i worked on sites in London , 99% of the tables had the Sxx on them . In some case's  10 workmates would all be at the same table reading the same rag. On many occasions they would taunt us saying " This is the only paper that told the truth but you lot just can't let it go can you ? "

Which just goes to show how long that rag has had a hold over those f***in pretentious cu*ts.   Good f***in riddance.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22: Feb 10, 2017 10:09:07 pm
      Celtic fans hate that rag too apparently, not sure if it's because of Hillsborough or something it wrote about them, but the more people that boycott it the better.

Quick Reply