Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (0.7%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (9.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      23 (17.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      16 (11.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      70 (52.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (3.7%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 15, 2017 07:28:09 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26422 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Feb 11, 2017 08:32:08 pm
      Over two weeks until the next match. Ironic considering the fixture jam we had in January.

Isn't it just :D.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #415: Feb 11, 2017 08:32:47 pm

Before we play that our rivals would have played 3 or 4 games!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #416: Feb 11, 2017 08:35:29 pm
      Great performance from the first to the last whistle.
      Can't really pick a man of the match.
      The team were as one and all deserve praise
      This has to be the reset button for the rest of the season. The bench mark, a new solid foundation on which to build upon and upwards.
      13 more of these displays and we will restore some pride, resilience and really look to clinch 2nd place.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #417: Feb 11, 2017 08:45:42 pm
      Moral of the story; we don't have a big enough squad to handle 2 games a week.
      Great performance, back to old ways now the boys have had a bit of rest.
      Mane, Migs, Lallana, Wjnaldum, Hendo, Clyne and Matip all stood out for me.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #418: Feb 11, 2017 08:52:55 pm
      Excellent 3 points :) Didn't see the game, have it recorded though so will do.
      Looking at the table, REALLY important to get the win today, get momentum in the right direction.
      Sounds like Mane did well, missed him. And Lucas did OK at CB in the end.
      Well done lads, manager.
      Can start watching MOTD again...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #419: Feb 11, 2017 08:54:10 pm
      Ratings:

Mignolet: One cracking save, some great catching and some god awful distribution about sums him up today. Thought he was quicker with his distribution though but when that includes lumping it up for Bobby to fight against 4 for it he really should reconsider what Jürgen means when he tells him to release the ball quicker because that's not it. 7/10

Milner: Get the worst and only real negative out of the way, thought he was poor today in possession and got exposed a couple of times defensively by getting himself too far ahead of the ball when we didn't have controlled possession. 5.5

Lucas: Dominant, decisive, a threat at set pieces, covered for full-backs well was even getting himself into the centre forward position at one point and to be fair he was open for the pass! Loved that performance, another 'F**k you' to his critics who really don't have a clue what they're talking about when the criticise him for anything other than his pace. Top quality lad, made me smile too and that's what the game is about. 8

Matip: So good, love him. When he went on the one two trying to run beyond their defenders you just see the intelligence of the bloke. Had the pass been better he was in, defensively he was solid as always but that composure and willingness to be the extra man when we're on top is something that all too often is discouraged because of the risk, when in actual fact it's so often such a high threat move. Real intelligent footballer. 8

Clyne: Solid defensively but poor in attack unfortunately. Highlighted in the first half when Bobby completely lost his man and was in about 10 yards of space without a defender in between him and Clyne or between him and the goal. Clyne delayed the pass so much that Bobby ended up having 3 men on him and had to try and force the shot. That type of play infuriates me because it's simple, takes no real ability to play the pass just a tiny and i mean tiny amount of vision and he didn't have it. Long term I think he needs replacing. 6.5

Henderson: Excellent, marshalled the lads well, was always harassing the ref and rightly so he was a c**t on the day and put himself about well. Stood up to the physically stronger lads and looked back on song. Did make a bit of rash challenge when I think he tried to take one for the team by the touchline and when he got up and remade the challenge about 10 seconds later the ref pulled it back wrongly for an 'advantage'. A little bit of a microcosm of Hendo that, not quite got the technique to be at the top but determination in absolute spades, good performance. A little note when he plays central and lofts balls to the sides he has a lovely cross on him and really whips them superbly, last couple of matches he's been playing them more and should continue to, they're the type that will unlock those bus parkers, good stuff. 7.5

Gini: Fantastic from start to finish. Again at home is the first thing i would say but this was the most dominant I've seen him play. He's always good in tight areas, always composed but there seemed much more purpose with the way he was passing, more direct and forward quickly and nobody was out muscling him, absolute rock today, real contender for MotM. 8.5

Lallana: Can't possibly compliment him enough for what I think must be a record today, never seen anyone put so much effort into a match as he did. Along with clear quality, brilliant movement, excellent passing I thought he was head and shoulders above anyone today and that takes some doing on that performance. 9.5

Coutinho: First half he was fantastic, ran himself into the ground but was rightly taken off in the second. He'd ran out of steam and you could see that by his late effort which should have made it 3-0, made all the right moves but just one of those where you go to swing but your leg says no. The encouragement from the first half should have everyone excited though because he'll be back to his best moving forward and if I were a betting man at the silly odds bookies offer you for 'anytime goal scorer' he'd be worth a punt for the next few games. 7.5

Mane: Relentless in the first half, hunger and desire personified as it was for the entire front 6. Deserved his goals and finished the well but even with a couple in the onion bag I thought he came off only the equal of Gini today and that's just a compliment to others. Love him, rides challenges well as someone said in the match thread and hope he has a touch of the Suarez resilience because he takes a knock and keeps bouncing. 8.5

Firmino: Another stonking performance, those that don't appreciate him still tried to knock him in that first half where was absolutely instrumental to how we were playing. The first goal simply doesn't even get started without him and Lallana, sure Gini and Mane put the gloss on it but without their efforts the opportunity doesn't even arise. Involved in the second too blocking the passing lane and as Klopp said it was one of the best performances without scoring he's ever seen from a striker and I couldn't agree more with those words. Awesome player. 8.5

Jürgen: After much stick got it spot on, thought Loris should have started but Migs vindicated the faith with a fine stop on one of Spurs' only chances. Another top 6 side put to bed and leaving the field without a moment doubt on who was the better team. Brilliant boss and a real kick in the nuts for anyone that has the temerity to think there's anyone better for us right now. 9/10

Cheers lads, loved every minute of that one!
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #420: Feb 11, 2017 08:57:20 pm
      Sorry to put a damp rag on this game but it asks yet more questions than offering answers to this team . This rabble of inconsistent part timers is the reason we find ourselves on the precipice .

Everyone around me was convinced we needed a third goal against a Spurs team that didn't turn up. That tells you everything you need to know about these players of ours who take turns to decide when to turn up.  F**k them !!!
      Turn up against Leicester you F***ing lightweights .
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #421: Feb 11, 2017 09:02:08 pm
      All of a sudden my weekend feels so much better. :)
      Great game to watch especially that first half..felt like i was in a time warp watching us back in November..

My only gripe is that we didn't kill them off second half with a third goal.

I don't think Lucas and Matip passed a square ball to each other in the whole of the game.

Golden boys Kane and Ali were sh*te and Erikson was even worse..

Just a shame we've gotta wait two weeks now for the Leicester game... :roll:
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #422: Feb 11, 2017 09:03:00 pm
      Sorry to put a damp rag on this game but it asks yet more questions than offering answers to this team . This rabble of inconsistent part timers is the reason we find ourselves on the precipice .

Everyone around me was convinced we needed a third goal against a Spurs team that didn't turn up. That tells you everything you need to know about these players of ours who take turns to decide when to turn up.  F**k them !!!
      Turn up against Leicester you f**king lightweights .

I think you spell "faith" wrong in your username mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #423: Feb 11, 2017 09:07:27 pm
      Good stuff that mate, made me smile thinking back to the game. Agree wholeheartedly.

KopiteLuke 9.5

Cheers mate, much appreciated.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #424: Feb 11, 2017 09:16:00 pm
      Fantastic result. A lot of the lads have done themselves proud today.
      Have to think a while longer about MOTM too many candidates.

Going to be a good Sunday :D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #425: Feb 11, 2017 09:18:23 pm
      Great F***ing win! The difference Mane makes for us unbelievable. What a player and an all round very good performance.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #426: Feb 11, 2017 09:18:48 pm

F**k them?? Lightweights??

We can criticise the team when they play poorly or don't give their best but they can never ever be called F***ing lightweights!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #427: Feb 11, 2017 09:19:17 pm

Are you sorry? Are you really?

Back in your cave troll.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #428: Feb 11, 2017 09:20:10 pm
      I went for Gini as MoTM but certainly can't argue with Mane and a few others. I honestly thought the biggest difference with us today was Giini on and Emre Can off. He was so good under pressure, worked very hard for possession, showed some audacious tricks in attack and what a pass to create the first goal.

Amazing how much brighter the rest of the weekend seems now. Worst thing about it is how long the way is until the next match, but hopefully the time will be used to address our difficulties against teams that won't come out and play.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #429: Feb 11, 2017 09:25:13 pm
      showed some audacious tricks in attack and what a pass to create the first goal.

Yeah the scorpion type pass was a thing of beauty but as you say that assist was easily the pass of the match. Really warming to him now, wasn't convinced at first but either he's getting better or I'm just learning to appreciate him.

Edit: Could also be after watching us with Emre I realise what we're missing  :lmao:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #430: Feb 11, 2017 09:27:13 pm

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #431: Feb 11, 2017 09:34:06 pm
      Tonight just reinforces the desperate need for depth. That starting 11 are absolutely phenomenal but one injury to the centre midfield and Can is in.

A player so detrimental he destroys the system with his naval gazing laziness and sluggishness. We cannot afford an injury in the engine department of the line up - if Can comes in we can kiss goodbye to any Europe next year.

We're really tilting on a precarious edge if we don't reinforce the central midfield in the summer.

I trust Klopp to do so thank goodness. And not the clusterfuck of Michael Edwards, Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter - the fuckwits who have lumbered us with sh*te like Can, Mignolet and Balotelli, to name just three utter disasters that FSG have foistered upon us. (Let's hope Michael Edwards keeps his filthy hands away from recruitment this summer).
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #432: Feb 11, 2017 09:58:48 pm
      Well that was a walk in the park.

Great first half, should have had 5, and then controlled it very nicely in the 2nd as well.
      Today really reinforces what I already thought about our recent poor form. It is not because our players are sh*te and we got found out after flattering to deceive. Against the better sides that come out to play our record over the last year and a bit has been really, really good. Think the commentator said Jürgen had only lost 1 game out 0f 15 against the top 6 since he came. Which would now be 1 out of 16. That is a f**king awesome record. Our problem is against the bus parkers. We need to tweak our tactics for those type of games.

Yes, we still need a LB, goalie and striker in the summer. But if Jürgen can make the tactical adjustments NOW, this side is definitely good enough to finish strongly and get a top 4.

MOTM? Mane was great obviously. Lallana worked his arse off as usual and really set the tempo. But I'm going for Gini, who I thought was really superb from the first minute. I've liked him more and more as the season has gone on - Jürgen has got us a player there. Winning tackles, reading the game great, good touch, works hard, very tidy passer, and with a couple of real killer ones today. Him and Hendo look good as a CM partnership to me. Hendo was very good today as well but Gini was outstanding.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #433: Feb 11, 2017 10:06:16 pm
      A player so detrimental he destroys the system with his naval gazing laziness and sluggishness.

Think it's harsh to call Can lazy.

Over the last 10 or so games he has not looked as impressive as he did early on for us but I don't think his workrate is the issue.  Actually I think one of his problems is trying to be in too many places he shouldn't and as a result not being in the place he needs to be.

The way we play and the way the manager wants us to - I don't think any 'lazy' player would get a place in the squad.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #434: Feb 11, 2017 10:07:34 pm
      Before we play that our rivals would have played 3 or 4 games!

Great news. It's Europa & Champions League this week too isn't it?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #435: Feb 11, 2017 10:09:17 pm

I'm all for a knee jerk rant when we lose (I'm probably the worst for it) but you need to chill the F**k out after a performance and result like that. If you're going to slag the sh*t out of them for losing then you should make up for it with as much praise when we play amazingly well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #436: Feb 11, 2017 10:20:28 pm

Shut up you silly little c**t.

Quick Reply