Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (0.7%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (9.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      23 (17.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      16 (11.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      70 (52.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (3.7%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 15, 2017 07:28:09 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26147 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Feb 11, 2017 10:29:41 pm
      Wow. What a performance. What a result. We HAD to win today and the boys delivered and they delivered in style too. When we play like that we will beat anybody. My only criticism is we should have scored more goals and that's when you know it's been a very good day.

What a difference it makes leaving Emre Can out as well. I'm sorry, I don't want to attack any player after such a great performance and win, but the difference was there to see, we played a billion times better without him in there.

The first half in particular we were electric. We were all over them. I thought our midfield was fantastic, they really swarmed around Spurs whenever they had possession and we didn't give them any time to play at all. It was also impressive to see lallana, hendo and wijnaldum getting stuck into their two big lads in the middle. All three of them were tough as nails today.

Second half I thought it was more about us being professional and seeing the game out. I didn't think we were as much of a threat as we were in the first half but we were still impressive.

The most impressive thing was apart from Sons chance in the first half, I don't remember them troubling us at all, and this is a very, very good side we were up against with top players who are a real danger to any team. Kane and Ali weren't in the game at all.

Mignolet - I was surprised to see him start but well done to Jürgen for making the call because he got it spot on. Simon was very good today. He made a very good stop for sons chance, his distribution was a lot better and he came and caught a few crosses too. Solid, confident performance from Migs today. Well done.

Clyne - Mr consistent. Always defends well and did again today.

Lucas - He did give the ball away once or twice which was very sloppy at times but apart from that he was brilliant. He is superb at getting infront of the attacker and nicking the ball. He battles all game and gives it his all. Solid performance.

Matip - Apart from getting a yellow for diving in too quick he did little else wrong. Steady eddy.

Milner - Another good performance from James. Usually walker causes all sorts of problems on the right and gets to the byline 5-6 times a game. Don't remember him beating Milner once.

Hendo - A very captain like performance from Jordan today I thought. He was organising everyone, fighting for everything, shouting at the ref, covering so much ground. And his football was good too.

Wijnaldum - if mane didn't score a brace then he was my motm. He was everywhere today. He's unbelievably strong too for such a little feller. Nobody shrugs him off the ball. He rarely loses the ball and he is fantastic at 1-2's and triangle football. He has very good tidy feet and he's such an intelligent player too. He is a proper box to box midfielder and his pass for manes goal was unbelievable. He just needs to be more consistent but he has shown yet again today that there is a real player in him and those who say 'I don't no what wijnaldum offers us' surely they will question that after tonight's show? He needs to play like that most weeks now, chip with more goals and assists and then we have a top top player on our books. Fantastic today well done.

Lallana - my god how fit is lallana? Not in a gay way but seriously does this lad never stop running? He is always the one who starts the press and then his team mates follow him. He has an superb engine on him, never gives up and always gives it his all. Another top performance.

Coutinho - I thought he was a little off the pace today. He didn't have a bad game but he wasn't his usual magician type self either, a bit mediocre by his standards. No complaints though he still played his part in what was a great team effort.

Firmino - fantastic. He is the perfect example of 'defend from the front'. He is another one who worked his bollocks off and Spurs couldn't cope with him at times.!

Mane - wow. Just wow. Made up he's back we are just a completely different team with him in it. Two cracking goals and he ran Spurs defence ragid.

Klopp - after the 5-6 weeks we've had confidence must have been pretty low in our camp. You would never have thought that based on today's game though. As soon as the first whistle went we were well up for it. A huge amount of credit has to go to Jürgen for that.  I'm also happy he finally dropped can. Emre is obviously a big favourite of Jurgens but he did the right thing, took him out, and we all saw the difference it made.

A cracking day all round, I'm one happy red tonight.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #438: Feb 11, 2017 10:46:37 pm
      Oh what a day.

I'm so f**king happy right now. Got to the Arkles quite early before the match and only got back now.

After over a month of suffering, I really needed that.

Fantastic performances all over, top effort from all involved. Mané obviously was the star of the show, but once again I was so impressed with Wijnaldum and Lallana's work rate in midfield, and how bloody amazing was Bobby Firmino, still pressing Lloris 2 minutes into injury time in the second half!

Thank you LFC, more of the same for the rest of the season please. Life is so much better after results like this.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #439: Feb 11, 2017 10:47:01 pm
      Because of his goal threat and scoring I picked Mane as my MOTM,but I was torn between several players ,Lucas included, great performance ,,ran them ragged and pressed all the game , Firmino running all over the place really wish the ball would go in for him ! Couldn't fault any player today ,great job lads
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #440: Feb 11, 2017 10:51:18 pm
      Mane is just sensational. I love watching him play.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #441: Feb 11, 2017 10:58:40 pm
      Just got home so can't comment on the match but what did that lad Alfie have to say about Klopp today   :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #442: Feb 11, 2017 11:09:35 pm
      Ratings:

Mignolet: One cracking save, some great catching and some god awful distribution about sums him up today. Thought he was quicker with his distribution though but when that includes lumping it up for Bobby to fight against 4 for it he really should reconsider what Jürgen means when he tells him to release the ball quicker because that's not it. 7/10

Milner: Get the worst and only real negative out of the way, thought he was poor today in possession and got exposed a couple of times defensively by getting himself too far ahead of the ball when we didn't have controlled possession. 5.5

Lucas: Dominant, decisive, a threat at set pieces, covered for full-backs well was even getting himself into the centre forward position at one point and to be fair he was open for the pass! Loved that performance, another 'f**k you' to his critics who really don't have a clue what they're talking about when the criticise him for anything other than his pace. Top quality lad, made me smile too and that's what the game is about. 8

Matip: So good, love him. When he went on the one two trying to run beyond their defenders you just see the intelligence of the bloke. Had the pass been better he was in, defensively he was solid as always but that composure and willingness to be the extra man when we're on top is something that all too often is discouraged because of the risk, when in actual fact it's so often such a high threat move. Real intelligent footballer. 8

Clyne: Solid defensively but poor in attack unfortunately. Highlighted in the first half when Bobby completely lost his man and was in about 10 yards of space without a defender in between him and Clyne or between him and the goal. Clyne delayed the pass so much that Bobby ended up having 3 men on him and had to try and force the shot. That type of play infuriates me because it's simple, takes no real ability to play the pass just a tiny and i mean tiny amount of vision and he didn't have it. Long term I think he needs replacing. 6.5

Henderson: Excellent, marshalled the lads well, was always harassing the ref and rightly so he was a c**t on the day and put himself about well. Stood up to the physically stronger lads and looked back on song. Did make a bit of rash challenge when I think he tried to take one for the team by the touchline and when he got up and remade the challenge about 10 seconds later the ref pulled it back wrongly for an 'advantage'. A little bit of a microcosm of Hendo that, not quite got the technique to be at the top but determination in absolute spades, good performance. A little note when he plays central and lofts balls to the sides he has a lovely cross on him and really whips them superbly, last couple of matches he's been playing them more and should continue to, they're the type that will unlock those bus parkers, good stuff. 7.5

Gini: Fantastic from start to finish. Again at home is the first thing i would say but this was the most dominant I've seen him play. He's always good in tight areas, always composed but there seemed much more purpose with the way he was passing, more direct and forward quickly and nobody was out muscling him, absolute rock today, real contender for MotM. 8.5

Lallana: Can't possibly compliment him enough for what I think must be a record today, never seen anyone put so much effort into a match as he did. Along with clear quality, brilliant movement, excellent passing I thought he was head and shoulders above anyone today and that takes some doing on that performance. 9.5

Coutinho: First half he was fantastic, ran himself into the ground but was rightly taken off in the second. He'd ran out of steam and you could see that by his late effort which should have made it 3-0, made all the right moves but just one of those where you go to swing but your leg says no. The encouragement from the first half should have everyone excited though because he'll be back to his best moving forward and if I were a betting man at the silly odds bookies offer you for 'anytime goal scorer' he'd be worth a punt for the next few games. 7.5

Mane: Relentless in the first half, hunger and desire personified as it was for the entire front 6. Deserved his goals and finished the well but even with a couple in the onion bag I thought he came off only the equal of Gini today and that's just a compliment to others. Love him, rides challenges well as someone said in the match thread and hope he has a touch of the Suarez resilience because he takes a knock and keeps bouncing. 8.5

Firmino: Another stonking performance, those that don't appreciate him still tried to knock him in that first half where was absolutely instrumental to how we were playing. The first goal simply doesn't even get started without him and Lallana, sure Gini and Mane put the gloss on it but without their efforts the opportunity doesn't even arise. Involved in the second too blocking the passing lane and as Klopp said it was one of the best performances without scoring he's ever seen from a striker and I couldn't agree more with those words. Awesome player. 8.5

Jürgen: After much stick got it spot on, thought Loris should have started but Migs vindicated the faith with a fine stop on one of Spurs' only chances. Another top 6 side put to bed and leaving the field without a moment doubt on who was the better team. Brilliant boss and a real kick in the nuts for anyone that has the temerity to think there's anyone better for us right now. 9/10

Cheers lads, loved every minute of that one!

Would have given Hendo an 8.5 at least but agree with the rest. Watching it with my brother we were constantly praising him the whole second half. Didn't put a foot wrong all game. Says much about the high quality of our performance, our best since November for sure (probably Watford at home).

A nice comfortable 2-0 victory. Can't we please have more of them and less of the manic victories and stressful defeats??!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #443: Feb 11, 2017 11:17:00 pm
      Mane is just sensational. I love watching him play.

Getting that buzz I used to get with Torres when he chased down the ball.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #444: Feb 11, 2017 11:21:27 pm
      Ratings:

Mignolet: One cracking save, some great catching and some god awful distribution about sums him up today. Thought he was quicker with his distribution though but when that includes lumping it up for Bobby to fight against 4 for it he really should reconsider what Jürgen means when he tells him to release the ball quicker because that's not it. 7/10

Milner: Get the worst and only real negative out of the way, thought he was poor today in possession and got exposed a couple of times defensively by getting himself too far ahead of the ball when we didn't have controlled possession. 5.5

Lucas: Dominant, decisive, a threat at set pieces, covered for full-backs well was even getting himself into the centre forward position at one point and to be fair he was open for the pass! Loved that performance, another 'F**k you' to his critics who really don't have a clue what they're talking about when the criticise him for anything other than his pace. Top quality lad, made me smile too and that's what the game is about. 8

Matip: So good, love him. When he went on the one two trying to run beyond their defenders you just see the intelligence of the bloke. Had the pass been better he was in, defensively he was solid as always but that composure and willingness to be the extra man when we're on top is something that all too often is discouraged because of the risk, when in actual fact it's so often such a high threat move. Real intelligent footballer. 8

Clyne: Solid defensively but poor in attack unfortunately. Highlighted in the first half when Bobby completely lost his man and was in about 10 yards of space without a defender in between him and Clyne or between him and the goal. Clyne delayed the pass so much that Bobby ended up having 3 men on him and had to try and force the shot. That type of play infuriates me because it's simple, takes no real ability to play the pass just a tiny and i mean tiny amount of vision and he didn't have it. Long term I think he needs replacing. 6.5

Henderson: Excellent, marshalled the lads well, was always harassing the ref and rightly so he was a c**t on the day and put himself about well. Stood up to the physically stronger lads and looked back on song. Did make a bit of rash challenge when I think he tried to take one for the team by the touchline and when he got up and remade the challenge about 10 seconds later the ref pulled it back wrongly for an 'advantage'. A little bit of a microcosm of Hendo that, not quite got the technique to be at the top but determination in absolute spades, good performance. A little note when he plays central and lofts balls to the sides he has a lovely cross on him and really whips them superbly, last couple of matches he's been playing them more and should continue to, they're the type that will unlock those bus parkers, good stuff. 7.5

Gini: Fantastic from start to finish. Again at home is the first thing i would say but this was the most dominant I've seen him play. He's always good in tight areas, always composed but there seemed much more purpose with the way he was passing, more direct and forward quickly and nobody was out muscling him, absolute rock today, real contender for MotM. 8.5

Lallana: Can't possibly compliment him enough for what I think must be a record today, never seen anyone put so much effort into a match as he did. Along with clear quality, brilliant movement, excellent passing I thought he was head and shoulders above anyone today and that takes some doing on that performance. 9.5

Coutinho: First half he was fantastic, ran himself into the ground but was rightly taken off in the second. He'd ran out of steam and you could see that by his late effort which should have made it 3-0, made all the right moves but just one of those where you go to swing but your leg says no. The encouragement from the first half should have everyone excited though because he'll be back to his best moving forward and if I were a betting man at the silly odds bookies offer you for 'anytime goal scorer' he'd be worth a punt for the next few games. 7.5

Mane: Relentless in the first half, hunger and desire personified as it was for the entire front 6. Deserved his goals and finished the well but even with a couple in the onion bag I thought he came off only the equal of Gini today and that's just a compliment to others. Love him, rides challenges well as someone said in the match thread and hope he has a touch of the Suarez resilience because he takes a knock and keeps bouncing. 8.5

Firmino: Another stonking performance, those that don't appreciate him still tried to knock him in that first half where was absolutely instrumental to how we were playing. The first goal simply doesn't even get started without him and Lallana, sure Gini and Mane put the gloss on it but without their efforts the opportunity doesn't even arise. Involved in the second too blocking the passing lane and as Klopp said it was one of the best performances without scoring he's ever seen from a striker and I couldn't agree more with those words. Awesome player. 8.5

Jürgen: After much stick got it spot on, thought Loris should have started but Migs vindicated the faith with a fine stop on one of Spurs' only chances. Another top 6 side put to bed and leaving the field without a moment doubt on who was the better team. Brilliant boss and a real kick in the nuts for anyone that has the temerity to think there's anyone better for us right now. 9/10

Cheers lads, loved every minute of that one!

Good analysis mate, and sorry to pick out one small part, but I feel it's important.

Getting it up there, knowing it will come back, when our players are sprinting forwards (2nd ball and all that) seems a decent tactic to me, and is probably the reason Firmino stayed so high.

I'm not saying Mignolets distribution is good, more looking at the why, than the execution, if you know what I mean :) and I think it's a Klopp tactic.
      He knows their defenders will win the ball, but he's told our players to push up past their 2nd attacking line quickly, almost as if they had already won the ball.
      Anticipation of opponents actions.

I think it's brilliant, bordering on genius.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #445: Feb 11, 2017 11:24:47 pm
      Missed the game today but judging by the highlights on MOTD we looked very good indeed and back in some sort of form.

Mane really does give us that extra dimension going forward that we have been missing.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #446: Feb 11, 2017 11:29:21 pm
      So F***ing nice to get a win. Makes waking up in the Morning and going to work so much more bearable.

The lads really did the business today, the crowd was on it was lovely seeing that electric performance back again. Let's hope they have 13 more performances like that left in them.

A couple of notes.

1) That Ref was a c**t and should never referee a Match of our ours again.

2)  Hopefully Klopp plays Gini and Hendo in the midfield for the rest of the Season and finally...

A Big Thank you to those Spuds cu*ts and Pochetino for playing their own game and not playing us with that 9-0-1 formation that every other teams seems to be playing against us. Let us play Football the way we like to play.

Get the F**k in !!!!!!

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #447: Feb 11, 2017 11:31:29 pm
      Massive massive thanks to Mauricio Pochettino and his Tottenham Hotspur team who allowed us to play our one and only game plan for the first time in something like 11 games.

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #448: Feb 11, 2017 11:32:48 pm
      Massive massive thanks to Mauricio Pochettino and his Tottenham Hotspur team who allowed us to play our one and only game plan for the first time in something like 11 games.

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Copycat  :roll:   :rasp:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #449: Feb 11, 2017 11:35:24 pm
      Good analysis mate, and sorry to pick out one small part, but I feel it's important.

Getting it up there, knowing it will come back, when our players are sprinting forwards (2nd ball and all that) seems a decent tactic to me, and is probably the reason Firmino stayed so high.

I'm not saying Mignolets distribution is good, more looking at the why, than the execution, if you know what I mean :) and I think it's a Klopp tactic.
      He knows their defenders will win the ball, but he's told our players to push up past their 2nd attacking line quickly, almost as if they had already won the ball.
      Anticipation of opponents actions.

I think it's brilliant, bordering on genius.

Fair enough mate and I totally understand your point on that, as if our second line of attack can pick up the second ball and then therefore out number the opposition just don't think that was the case on that occasion as I think Bobby was completely isolated between 2 lines of Spurs.

Do get your point though and there is certainly a tactic to exploit on the break like that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #450: Feb 11, 2017 11:43:45 pm

haha

Didn't see that TBH.

MotM Mauricio Pochettino.

zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      Reply #451: Feb 11, 2017 11:55:53 pm
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Spurs
      Reply #452: Feb 12, 2017 12:03:55 am
      About time we had a result like that, still think we need a striker on the pitch from the start, oh, and we beat the Welsh too.  So all in all not too bad.

You and me both.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #453: Feb 12, 2017 12:21:00 am
      About time we had a result like that, still think we need a striker on the pitch from the start, oh, and we beat the Welsh too.  So all in all not too bad.
      Who the F**k are We? 😀 We're not English we're Scouse! (And some of us aren't even Scouse) 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #454: Feb 12, 2017 12:26:10 am
      Hilarious so many going on about our lack of plan B, just play the plan A the way it should be and no team can live with us in this league.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #455: Feb 12, 2017 01:10:34 am
      Hilarious so many going on about our lack of plan B, just play the plan A the way it should be and no team can live with us in this league.

Oh but you don't understand! You see 'we've been found out'. The cat has been let out the bag! The beans have been spilled! The bubble has burst! The skeleton out of the closet!

The game's up!

...up there. Bit of Game Pie got stuck up there!

*jabs at the wall with a broom*

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #456: Feb 12, 2017 01:39:45 am
      Good to see the reds back again with Mane firing on all cylinders, we've certainly missed that.

And yet for all that Mane did, I'd still give Gini motm, he was F***ing awesome in our midfield breaking everything up and that ball to Mane for the first was top class too.

Just thought Little Philly still a little bit off it, he seemed to tire in the second half and Bobby Firmino caused Walker more problems when he moved over to the left after Philly went off.

Great win, but need to follow it up in our next game, can't afford to lose many games now, so a nice little run of wins would be welcomed.

A lot better performance from the redmen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #457: Feb 12, 2017 02:23:22 am
      Been away from the house ALL day, stayed off Twitter and the forum because I thought the game was going to be broadcast and recorded. Welp, just got home and found out it wasn't broadcast. Oh well, was good to come on and see a win, saved me some heart palpitations too ;D. Way to go redmen, way to go Klopp. We go again!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #458: Feb 12, 2017 02:35:38 am
      Been away from the house ALL day, stayed off Twitter and the forum because I thought the game was going to be broadcast and recorded. Welp, just got home and found out it wasn't broadcast. Oh well, was good to come on and see a win, saved me some heart palpitations too ;D. Way to go redmen, way to go Klopp. We go again!

Sorry missed the game FL...it was on regular NBC today....every PL match is carried every week.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #459: Feb 12, 2017 02:57:13 am
      Sorry missed the game FL...it was on regular NBC today....every PL match is carried every week.

It wasn't here, I have them all set to record, it only recorded Manure and Hull games. 

Quick Reply