Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (0.7%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (9.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      23 (17.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      16 (11.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      70 (52.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (3.7%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 15, 2017 07:28:09 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26338 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Feb 12, 2017 02:59:57 am
      It wasn't here, I have them all set to record, it only recorded Manure and Hull games.

You poor sod.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #461: Feb 12, 2017 03:16:51 am
      Oh but you don't understand! You see 'we've been found out'. The cat has been let out the bag! The beans have been spilled! The bubble has burst! The skeleton out of the closet!

The game's up!

...up there. Bit of Game Pie got stuck up there!

*jabs at the wall with a broom*

Lets wait until after the Leicester and Burnley games, to see if things have really changed. We still have too prove it against bus teams, spurs were always going to pay into our hands imo, taking nothing away from the performance.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #462: Feb 12, 2017 03:19:12 am
      For me, my best player on the night was Wijnalnum, definitely. But goals from Mane who also have an excellent game gave us the win so I vote Mane moth here :D

Hope the team keep this positives, especially the great midfield battle and defensive performance. 
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #463: Feb 12, 2017 05:22:36 am
      No coincidence that with that front six back together we were much better going forward. Gave my MOTM to Wijnaldum - thought he was outstanding.

We have no excuses from here on in with the number of fixtures we have left, and a nice little break. Spurs have 4 games before we play again, as will the others around us so we have to make the most of that.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #464: Feb 12, 2017 06:42:56 am
      I gave it to Mane but Wijnaldum and Matip are close behind. What a game to kick start our season. I'm very happy to be above Manure again after they thought they have leaped over us :)
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #465: Feb 12, 2017 07:39:25 am
      We totally outclassed Spurs. Most probably they arrived thinking they need not get out of 2nd gear to beat us as we've been very poor of late. My greatest fear is, one Hollywood performance followed by a few poor performances after that. We need to be ruthless from now on, don't care whether it is against an opponent sitting on top or bottom of the league table, we need to win every game at all cost.

We have to start scoring a few more goals as goal difference may come in handy at the end of the day.

Moving forward, clubs may deploy the double decker bus again and we need those high crosses into the opposition box and Origi will need to start every game from now and put the pressure on their opponents' cente backs and peck them back to create the space.

Very happy with the performance, everyone worked hard and ran the extra mile.   
      « Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017 08:46:11 am by redkop63 »
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #466: Feb 12, 2017 08:10:33 am
      We totally outclassed Spurs. Most probably they arrived thinking they need not get out of 2nd gear to beat us as we've been very poor of late. My greatest fear is, one Hollywood performance followed by a few poor performances after that. We need to be ruthless from now on, don't care whether it is against an opponent sitting on top or bottom of the league table, e need to win every game at all cost.

We have to start scoring a few more goals as goal difference may come in handy at the end of the day.

Moving forward, clubs may deploy the double decker bus again and we need those high crosses into the opposition box and Origi will need to start evergame from now and put the pressure on their opponents' cente backs and peck them back to create the space.

Very happy with the performance, everyone worked hard and ran the extra mile.   

I honestly don't think he will mate, the front six we had out yesterday were destroying the busses earlier in the season.

It's the organised chaos that totally drags the opposition everywhere.

One minute Lallana is in the hole, next he is on the left and Firmino has dropped deep, then Adam is on the right with Mane up front, firmino on the left and Couts in the hole.

It's devastating for the opponents they don't know when to push out, who to follow, which space to mark.

I can see it getting back to how it was at the beginning of the season now... If we keep the same midfield and attack.

Throw can in there yesterday for the full match in Wijnaldums place and we'd have been over run in the middle in my opinion.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #467: Feb 12, 2017 08:54:56 am
      Picked Manè for MoM because of his brace and overall play. He was such a threat. However, any number of players easily could have had MoM against the spuds. We really were that good.

Got to be like this for every remaining game now
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #468: Feb 12, 2017 08:55:10 am
      I honestly don't think he will mate, the front six we had out yesterday were destroying the busses earlier in the season.

It's the organised chaos that totally drags the opposition everywhere.

One minute Lallana is in the hole, next he is on the left and Firmino has dropped deep, then Adam is on the right with Mane up front, firmino on the left and Couts in the hole.

It's devastating for the opponents they don't know when to push out, who to follow, which space to mark.

I can see it getting back to how it was at the beginning of the season now... If we keep the same midfield and attack.

Throw can in there yesterday for the full match in Wijnaldums place and we'd have been over run in the middle in my opinion.

Agreed to a certain extend mate, but Spurs allowed us much more space yesterday than the likes of Sunderland, Hull etc. The latter placed 11 players behind the ball and however and whoever we rotate around the pitch it will still be difficult to go pass them to score unless the players have a very high degree of understanding of each other's movement inside and outside the opposition box and to outfox the opposition defence.  At this moment, we are not there yet while we only have Mane that can take on defenders and unsettle them.

That's where those high crosses into the opposition box will cause them to have another headache to deal with and mistakes will be made and opportunities open up for us to score.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #469: Feb 12, 2017 08:59:35 am
      Brilliant team performance, down to a man.  Even Henderson played some nice passes.  Milner continues to impress me at LB, he doesn't just do a job, he absolutely excels.  Has some nice tricks up his sleeve in attack even.

I would also like to extend my apologies to Mr. Mane.  I feel like an absolute numpty for questioning A) our going after him last summer and B) the fee that we ended up paying for him.  What a player he is.  Everyone else was right and I was wrong.  I bow and beg forgiveness.

Is it possible that Mane is now even more important to us than Coutinho?!

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #470: Feb 12, 2017 09:02:07 am
      A mighty fine result off the back of an impressive display (how good was Hendo btw?).

Keeps us ahead of the scum into the bargain... double dunter right there. 😎
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #471: Feb 12, 2017 09:03:18 am
      Brilliant team performance, down to a man.  Even Henderson played some nice passes.  Milner continues to impress me at LB, he doesn't just do a job, he absolutely excels.  Has some nice tricks up his sleeve in attack even.

I would also like to extend my apologies to Mr. Mane.  I feel like an absolute numpty for questioning A) our going after him last summer and B) the fee that we ended up paying for him.  What a player he is.  Everyone else was right and I was wrong.  I bow and beg forgiveness.

Is it possible that Mane is now even more important to us than Coutinho?!

Mane is more important - scores and assists more, and more frequently than Coutinho.

I'm shocked, we had such a poor 2017 but are still 4th and with 1 points less than 2nd.

It's a shame what we did to ourselves in January; we were real title contenders.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #472: Feb 12, 2017 09:49:56 am
      Why can't we play the Top 6 every week?
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #473: Feb 12, 2017 10:26:50 am
      I gave MOTM to Lallana he was everywhere what an engine 90 mins full pelt, how do you mark him , take a bow son I thought you were absolutely brilliant but there were many contenders for MOTM yesterday it was such a performance.
      I thought we were a lot tougher yesterday Hendo ,Matip & Co snapping at Spurs  ,TBH an out and out striker could have scored 4 5 or 6 the service was so good we were so strong and in your face Spurs looked scared , its such a pity those dropped points earlier in 2017,

Spurs came to Anfield  and had a dash, got their bum felt big time and went home lesson learned they will be the better for it I think they play some cracking stuff,that is if they are aloud to, so our next agenda is the teams who wont come out to play and how to handle them Im sure Jürgen and the boys will have a new lease of life after yesterdays win ,we just gotta keep winning .

YNWA  :kop5cf8koxp6:

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,288 posts | 763 
      Reply #474: Feb 12, 2017 10:34:23 am
      Vital win to at least, try and kick start the season. Only real chance of success is to try and qualify for a CL spot. This will be a tall order, after the poor run of results lately.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #475: Feb 12, 2017 11:01:53 am
      Lets wait until after the Leicester and Burnley games, to see if things have really changed. We still have too prove it against bus teams, spurs were always going to pay into our hands imo, taking nothing away from the performance.

Yeaterday was brilliant, but no matter what Spurs do they will always be a club with a bit of a soft touch.

We needed that win for the confidence, hopefully that helps us zip the ball around faster against the bus parkers, the absence of Can hopefully continues too.

It will be back to the grind in 15 days, after a refreshing change in a team that actually tried to take us on.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #476: Feb 12, 2017 11:33:22 am
      Yeaterday was brilliant, but no matter what Spurs do they will always be a club with a bit of a soft touch.

We needed that win for the confidence, hopefully that helps us zip the ball around faster against the bus parkers, the absence of Can hopefully continues too.

It will be back to the grind in 15 days, after a refreshing change in a team that actually tried to take us on.

Problem we've had against teams that have played 10 behind the ball, its that we haven't even had a bit of luck against them, a lucky deflected goal, or the couple of stone wall penalties that we've been denied. A little bit if luck and the table would look a lot different, but it is what it is. We've got to find a way of getting through these packed defences, and Mane offers us the best chance of doing that.
      It's getting to the stage where a draw against us isn't really good enough if they wasn't to stay up, so hopefully they will come at us more and play into our hands.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,525 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #477: Feb 12, 2017 11:52:07 am
      Watched the match eventually. Brilliant to get the win, no mistake :) We seemed to play with a lot more pace and urgency. Will do the lad's confidence a lot of good. And we have plenty ot time to recover and prepare for the next game (think they said last night Spuds had 4 matches before we played next) - two weeks is long wait.

In saying that, thought Spurs played a much higher line than the 'January teams', which we know the gegen works well against that. 2nd goal was classic press, Spurs playing high line, we put them under pressure, force mistake, and are in. We haven't seen that in a long time. Whatever about player selections, think that was the main factor in the win. Though having Mane back and in form was also MAJOR plus.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #478: Feb 12, 2017 11:59:12 am

I think we said the same after the Manchester United and Chelsea game - "let's wait to see if things have really changed".

Now we're saying it after another performance against a good side.

I won't hold my breath, especially for Burnley at home, due to the fact we've been doing the same things over and over again in January against the likes of Plymouth twice, Southampton twice, Swansea, Hull and Wolves. It bordered on insanity.

All because we don't have the necessary quality to break teams down (which was partly over looked in the winter transfer window), and because there was no change in approach from Klopp and co.

Look, we may get a lucky break or an early goal against a bus parker - as until yesterday we hadn't scored a first half goal in the league since Citeh 2016! That's what's killed our title challenging aspirations frankly. And we may still scrap the odd win here or there, but if recent form in putting the bus parkers away is anything to go by, then I'm not going to let my judgement be clouded after the Spurs game. I thought we were on the up after the Munt game only to be shown otherwise.

I'll be happy to hold my hand up and eat a little bit of humble pie - as there is nothing wrong with calling things wrong every once in a while. But I don't think we have the players to make lighter work of the bus parkers, the likes of Firmino and Henderson were perfect for yesterday's game but for the bus parkers you need guile more than energy and these two down the front end of the spine (the former especially) have shown they're pretty ineffective and inconsistent against these kind of sides.

It's horses for courses and we don't have the horses for this course IMHO.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #479: Feb 12, 2017 12:11:58 pm
      Great team performance...we absolutely outplayed them.
      My MOTM was Firmino for his amazing pressing from the front which didnt allow them to play.
      Special mentions to Lallana, Henderson, Gini and Lucas who i thought had excellent games.
      And off course MANE!! Thank goodness he is back :)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #480: Feb 12, 2017 12:12:19 pm
      It's a shame what we did to ourselves in January; we were real title contenders.

A real shame Alex and the sad thing is - how close we were (and how close we could have been) to having a real shot, at being champions, seems to have been forgotten with this one win.

Relief? Bravado? Dick swinging?

This fine win, as good as it was, keeps us in touch in a top four race... it could have been so much more.

Still... there's always next year; right?  :clap:

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #481: Feb 12, 2017 12:14:44 pm
      When we play like that the bus parkers are no different to those who play openly. 

We've struggled again them recently because we haven't had that team available not because the bus parking tactic won out.  Leicester, a typical men behind the ball, defend deep, low block, counter attack team couldn't live with us at Anfield, they're desperate for points, are at home and are pretty sh*t this season so I have no doubts that we'll get the 3 points there.

We have our devastating front 6 back, we have our mojo back and we still have plenty to play for.

As I said yesterday - season over?  My F***ing arse it is  ;D
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #482: Feb 12, 2017 12:27:20 pm
      When we play like that the bus parkers are no different to those who play openly. 

We've struggled again them recently because we haven't had that team available not because the bus parking tactic won out.  Leicester, a typical men behind the ball, defend deep, low block, counter attack team couldn't live with us at Anfield, they're desperate for points, are at home and are pretty sh*t this season so I have no doubts that we'll get the 3 points there.

We have our devastating front 6 back, we have our mojo back and we still have plenty to play for.

As I said yesterday - season over?  My F***ing arse it is  ;D

:aaliverpool2xt1:

Like your attitude, hope our players feel the same like you, then the LiverBird will soar again! coyr

:action-smiley-035:  :action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035:

Quick Reply