Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

10 years ago - Alternatives to Hicks/Gilette

Read 2409 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      10 years ago - Alternatives to Hicks/Gilette
      Feb 19, 2017 02:38:14 pm
      Heres a thought - how do you think the years after Jan/Feb 2007 would have panned out if we had chosen alternatives than Hicks and Gillette. In particular:

1) George Gillette by himself. This was the original plan right? Would the relationship between owner and Rafa been more amicable?

2) DIC - How would they have fared, considering what happened with the Financial crash of 2008 and making heavy losses in the years after

3) Steve Morgan - A life long fan of Liverpool FC but would he have had the funds needed to invest in the stadium?

4) Anyone else?

In my view, I think we would have potentially struggled no matter which alternatives we could have chosen to Hicks and Gillette. Still much better than those 2, but by how much?

Who would have been your preferred owner of the club at the time?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: 10 years ago - Alternatives to Hicks/Gilette
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2017 04:01:47 pm
      Heres a thought - how do you think the years after Jan/Feb 2007 would have panned out if we had chosen alternatives than Hicks and Gillette. In particular:

1) George Gillette by himself. This was the original plan right? Would the relationship between owner and Rafa been more amicable?

2) DIC - How would they have fared, considering what happened with the Financial crash of 2008 and making heavy losses in the years after

3) Steve Morgan - A life long fan of Liverpool FC but would he have had the funds needed to invest in the stadium?

4) Anyone else?

In my view, I think we would have potentially struggled no matter which alternatives we could have chosen to Hicks and Gillette. Still much better than those 2, but by how much?

Who would have been your preferred owner of the club at the time?

Wasn't George Gillet the one that Rafa had the major falling out with? To me he always seemed less involved than the other gobs***e. Still, might have signed Snoogy Doogy if it was just him.

DIC, didn't they go bust?

Steve Morgan, probably the best option of a bad bunch but he didn't have enough money. We would have been better off with Moores remaining in charge until the right offer came along.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2017 04:19:23 pm
      Wasn't George Gillet the one that Rafa had the major falling out with?

Thought it was the other fella.

Anyway, interesting topic.

I'd imagine under this scenario the club would have by now either a substantial or majority fan-owned structure in place. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2017 05:02:57 pm
      Wasn't George Gillet the one that Rafa had the major falling out with? To me he always seemed less involved than the other gobs***e. Still, might have signed Snoogy Doogy if it was just him.

DIC, didn't they go bust?

Steve Morgan, probably the best option of a bad bunch but he didn't have enough money. We would have been better off with Moores remaining in charge until the right offer came along.

Hahaha behave, Morgan the best option!! I wouldn't want that tw*t anywhere near Anfield as a F***ing owner, especially with his matey F***ing links to Norman Bettison.

DIC had they bought us would of been the better option instead of the carpet-bagging yanks.

Gillet on his own was never an option, cos he was F***ing skint, why do you think Hicks was mentioned as the "money-guy" and that turned out to be bollocks.

If we had to go down the yank route, I kind of wished we had sold to Robert Kraft when he was supposedly sniffing around us late 90s/early 2000's.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2017 05:36:59 pm
      Hahaha behave, Morgan the best option!! I wouldn't want that tw*t anywhere near Anfield as a f**king owner, especially with his matey f**king links to Norman Bettison.

DIC had they bought us would of been the better option instead of the carpet-bagging yanks.

Gillet on his own was never an option, cos he was f**king skint, why do you think Hicks was mentioned as the "money-guy" and that turned out to be bollocks.

If we had to go down the yank route, I kind of wished we had sold to Robert Kraft when he was supposedly sniffing around us late 90s/early 2000's.

Didn't know know that about Morgan...like I say, a bad F***ing bunch with hindsight.

Alwats feel like we missed the boat when it comes to owners, everyone else seems to have done very well and here we are 10 years down the line with F**k all to show for it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2017 05:40:47 pm
      The idea that Morgan could have provided the funds upfront to compete at the top is laughable. His fortune was only enough to own a club the size of Wolves of which, during is reign they got promoted to the PL once and then relegated twice to League 1.

Anyhow wasn't his rumoured buyout back in spring 2004 along with the former Thai PM?

F***ing hell - quite what Moores was doing to invite the attention of people like a corrupt leader of Thailand and Hicks and Gillett I don't think we'll ever know.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: Feb 20, 2017 01:48:20 pm
      F***ing hell - quite what Moores was doing to invite the attention of people like a corrupt leader of Thailand and Hicks and Gillett I don't think we'll ever know.

Wasn't it to do with originally funding the construction of the Parrydome. Moores couldn't afford to build a new stadium as well as continually allowing managers decent transfer budgets. Thaksin Shinawatra was considered until we found out how corrupt the f**ker was.
      Hence why we ended up with twit and tw*t, cos tw*t was good at bullshitting about his companies ability to build stadiums.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7: Feb 20, 2017 03:31:47 pm
      Wasn't it to do with originally funding the construction of the Parrydome. Moores couldn't afford to build a new stadium as well as continually allowing managers decent transfer budgets. Thaksin Shinawatra was considered until we found out how corrupt the f**ker was.
      Hence why we ended up with twit and tw*t, cos tw*t was good at bullshitting about his companies ability to build stadiums.

Would have taken Thaksin who would have sold us on to Mansour....
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #8: Feb 20, 2017 05:21:21 pm

Wouldn't want the human rights abusing scum near the club.

Besides, we are at a stage anyhow where we are an attractive investor to many suitors - if FSG sell up then it will have to be to a very rich bidder surely.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Feb 20, 2017 05:32:21 pm

Wouldn't want the human rights abusing scum near the club.

Hence why we didn't take Thaksin's offer and also the fact he was using us to win himself another election ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #10: Feb 21, 2017 12:25:32 am
      Quote from RedWilly

Alwats feel like we missed the boat when it comes to owners, everyone else seems to have done very well and here we are 10 years down the line with F**k all to show for it.

Can you expand on who "everyone else" is? Because we seem to have done as well as most clubs with new owners, and plenty have ended up like Leeds, Villa, and Portsmouth. Only Chelsea and City seem to have done better, and even that is questionable.

FSG are poor owners, so are most owners. The best owners are the fans themselves, in other words the German model. Until we get that far, we'll never have owners that act 100% in the best interests of the club at all times.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #11: Feb 21, 2017 06:02:02 pm
      I won't even pretend to know the exact ins and outs of a fan run club but how good would that be, a club where everyone had the success and only the success of the team and club at heart.
      You would have to have a board of successful businessmen but importantly Liverpool supporting businessmen who at best would only take a wage like a CEO would do and if they really loved the club like I do and everyone on here they'd possibly to do it for for the love it.
      A club where all the profits went into buying players, the ground, youth development, community etc. rather than lining the pockets of fat cats sat on the other side of the world. This isn't a dig at FSG as there would be many other 'global sports companies' wanting Liver Pool (as they would say it) in their 'portfolio'.
      It was a disastrous decision from Moores to allow us to become a franchise it makes me sick, mind you Moores wouldn't have been to upset with his sale fee.
      I don't really like what Mansour has done at City and Abramovich at Chelsea but at least you can tell with Abramovich he's a rich guy who's bought a hobby but he's also bought into it emotionally, he lives and breathes every game from what you can see on the telly.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Feb 21, 2017 10:20:59 pm
      Don't forget Peter Lim.

The amount of posts who were praying for him to takeover was sickening. The Manc-loving, Valencia-destroying w**ker.

I think unless we had someone come in and do what the City Group did, we have landed pretty well IMO.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Feb 21, 2017 10:39:31 pm
      Don't forget Peter Lim.

The amount of posts who were praying for him to takeover was sickening. The Manc-loving, Valencia-destroying w**ker.

I think unless we had someone come in and do what the City Group did, we have landed pretty well IMO.

Imagine that - Gary Neville in charge of Liverpool!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Feb 21, 2017 10:57:31 pm
      Imagine that - Gary Neville in charge of Liverpool!

With the other "Fuckwits of '92" on our board!

Quick Reply