Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Leicester 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29099 times
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Re: Leicester 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Feb 28, 2017 01:38:24 pm
      To all the people saying sell Sturridge and get another striker in, who is this striker that will come in, press, and score goals for fun?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #714: Feb 28, 2017 01:38:50 pm
      Mark,Mark,Mark... If he is out half the season injuries then take another 10 games or so to get match fit and start score in regularly we only have him at his best for 14 games or so, that's providing we can keep him fit and injury free is the really any point in having him... Newcastle should have won the premier league twice and a CL but had the same problem with  Alan Shearer and Les Ferdinand... How would the 1996 4-3 game have panned out if Shearer were fit?... or for that matter 4-3, 10 Mar 1997 season... Failure to have ther main goal scorer fit cost Newcastle as failure to have our main goal scorer is costing us

Then replace him as I stated. If not though, PLAY HIM.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #715: Feb 28, 2017 01:39:12 pm
      To all the people saying sell Sturridge and get another striker in, who is this striker that will come in, press, and score goals for fun?

Isn't that what the F***ing scouting department is for?

Sturridge doesn't do any of those things you mentioned, so shouldn't we need a replacement anyway in the summer?
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #716: Feb 28, 2017 01:40:19 pm

Sanchez would be perfect...but would he move to us after turning us down already?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #717: Feb 28, 2017 01:51:11 pm
      Sanchez would be perfect...but would he move to us after turning us down already?

Surely you already know the answer to that? Leave a club that always has CL footy to go to a club that hardly ever has it anymore?

;D! We're not Utd who will pay £300k a week or sign a £90m player. Other fans are calling us "bin dippers".

Something to do with the fact FSG are tight as F**k?

grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #718: Feb 28, 2017 02:08:50 pm
      Isn't that what the f**king scouting department is for?

Sturridge doesn't do any of those things you mentioned, so shouldn't we need a replacement anyway in the summer?
      I do not think that the one thing that defines a striker should be pressing, that is not the primary reason they are in the team. They are there to score goals, something that the current striker does not do enough of. But hey, he works hard.

This is also the problem, people want a striker that will bang them in, press and cannot name one that they think is attainable.

As for shouting scouting, the same people that have scouted before are the same people that are still working at the club. They brought in Markovic yet he has spent more time on loan than at the club. Their history of transfers in really does not shine through.

Why would on earth would he move to Liverpool?

He would want big money, and Arsenal would also want big money.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #719: Feb 28, 2017 02:10:59 pm
      Other fans are calling us "bin dippers".

That's a usual manc/wool shout regarding scousers.

i.e thieves!!

Hence why it's good to ignore the rest of the footballing world on social media for a day or two after a defeat like last night.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #720: Feb 28, 2017 02:15:16 pm
      I do not think that the one thing that defines a striker should be pressing, that is not the primary reason they are in the team. They are there to score goals, something that the current striker does not do enough of. But hey, he works hard.

This is also the problem, people want a striker that will bang them in, press and cannot name one that they think is attainable.

So basically we really want Ian Rush, go look up some videos of him, it was called attacking from the front, now it's called pressing. And he was very F***ing good at it, scored a shitload of F***ing goals too, hence why he's our greatest ever striker 8)

It's nothing new, just that Sturridge is too much of a lazy c**t to do it!!

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #721: Feb 28, 2017 02:23:51 pm
      I can not blame Klopp entirely He has only the tools he has to work with and the players should step up as a man,,, After all they should know what is at stake... as the late Alan Ball once said "They're grown men"

Here's the thing... Under FSG and wanting to signed young talent, this games serves they well, of the "real" young up and coming talent in and around Europe which one of they would want to sign for Liverpool now when they can sign for a team with a higher profile and CL games?... FSG have once again insured that we have to sign third and forth rate players and very young talent that if they fore fill thier potential they can sell for big money... If we are a top six club bring in the TV revenues, and the odd cup success and foray into Europe they are perfectly happy with the State Quo

Klopp is entirely to blame. Klopp made the decision not to strengthen significantly in the Summer, and again in Jan. Klopp uses the same failing tactics and the same failing players against the bottom sides. However, Klopp is also new enough to still have time on his side but, just like everyone else in the squad, he has to prove he can learn from this and do better moving forward. A reaction against Arsenal is no good, I fully expect us to beat them, City and Everton. No its Burnley and Bournemouth etc. that I want to see a reaction in. Ten of our final thirteen games are against teams currently outside of the top seven, and seven of those are currently in the bottom half of the table. I want to see he's learned from his mistakes so far this season and us go take maximum points from them. If we don't, if we go lose because he's not changed the tactics and is setting up with the same people being played in the same wrong positions, then my faith in Klopp will quickly evaporate.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #722: Feb 28, 2017 02:48:18 pm
      So basically we really want Ian Rush, go look up some videos of him, it was called attacking from the front, now it's called pressing. And he was very f**king good at it, scored a shitload of f**king goals too, hence why he's our greatest ever striker 8)

It's nothing new, just that Sturridge is too much of a lazy c**t to do it!!
      Ian Rush played at a time when Liverpool was at its peak, went to Juventus and came back when things were nowhere near as bad as they have been in recent history.

That is the thing that is wrong with nostalgia, falling in love with history and thinking that the road to greatness can be paved by simply replicating the past. Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez, Sturridge are all great strikers, but they do not share the same play style. John Barnes was a fantastic winger, does it mean that every left winger that comes to the team must be a prototype?

That is a problem. We seem to have a desire to build something and to build it one way and one way alone. What happens if that methodology is harder to achieve? Do you persist or do you adapt? People want a striker that will score loads and will press, yet they have an issue naming one striker that they think is attainable.

Counter pressing was supposed to be the key playmaking tool for Klopp and teams seem to have figured out that sitting deep cancels it out, and not only that, but there is a propensity to gift goals on the other end. Goals from around the pitch have dried up, midfielders have found it an issue to create because their norm is to press and counter and forwards are finding less and less space to not only run into but far fewer pockets of space that a passes can originate from.

The cure to this? Find another striker than can press. It is Einstein's definition of insanity. Get a midfielder that can dictate, a midfielder than can create and reduce the reliance on pressing as the single biggest chance creation tool, have something you can fall back to if teams sit back. More and more, it is more about who scores the first goal. If the opponents do that, they sit back and it is had to come back and get a win. If LFC gets the first goal, then chances are that the other team will be forced to look for a goal and that opens up the field of play. That cannot be the thing that defines a team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #723: Feb 28, 2017 03:03:02 pm
      18 hours gone and had a night and to sleep on that result but still the feeling remains.

That was F***ing dreadful. The lowest of the lows.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #724: Feb 28, 2017 03:03:22 pm
      When we beat Watford at Anfield in November we were top of the table with 26 points, followed by Chelsea (25), City and Arsenal (24), Spurs (21), United and Everton (18).

Fifteen matches later we're down 4 places to 5th. We trail Chelsea by 14 points (a 15-point swing in their favour). We've suffered swings to other teams as follows: Spurs (9 points), City (5) and Arsenal (3, with a match in hand). Our lead over United has been cut from 8 points to 1.

It's a shocking slump, compounded by exits from both domestic Cup competitions. The most worrying thing is that Klopp appears unable to turn the tide.

I'm reminded of what Stevie G said after we lost tamely at West Ham (also 3-1) in BR's last season. "We're soft".  We still are. A team needs a spine. At present we don't have one.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #725: Feb 28, 2017 03:04:04 pm
      From the moment that tw*t Vardy stamped on Mane in the first minute and we allowed them to launch Stoke City style throw in's and long ale house balls into our box I just knew it was gonna be a tw*t of a game that we were gonna get nothing out of.

Can't believe I waited nearly two weeks for us to play again getting all buzzed up then had to sit through that pile of sh*te last night..

Gutted....

Back to basics and a good clear out needed

nothing more to say that hasn't already been said..
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #726: Feb 28, 2017 03:35:32 pm
      From the moment that tw*t Vardy stamped on Mane in the first minute and we allowed them to launch Stoke City style throw in's and long ale house balls into our box I just knew it was gonna be a tw*t of a game that we were gonna get nothing out of.

Can't believe I waited nearly two weeks for us to play again getting all buzzed up then had to sit through that pile of sh*te last night..

Gutted....

That's the thing. The long ball isn't exactly difficult to counter. All we needed to do was have someone stand on Vardy and man-mark the crap out of him, forcing them to adapt their tactics to favour us. But neither manager nor a single player had the gumption to think of that. It was a shocking night all round, not least from Klopp.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #727: Feb 28, 2017 04:36:35 pm
      All we needed to do was have someone stand on Vardy and man-mark the crap out of him
      Henderson would have been the only player close to achieving that.
      Waste of time expecting Can to do that kind of job.

What's Biscan up to these days?  ;D

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #728: Feb 28, 2017 05:43:08 pm
      Klopps had 3 transfer windows !! Thats a fact . 3 transfer windows and we still have
      Mignolet
      Moreno
      Lucas
      Can't
      Lovren
      Clyne
      Playing in our team  . He has only signed 5 players , 3 of which are poor . It's on him the Manager.
      Probably a bit harsh on Grugic.
      I agree, But I find it hard to believe that Klopp is under no real instructions or condition of who he can or can not sign... It was reported that Deli Ali was ready to sign, but was offered  only £50k a week wages. Now I ask myself was that real down to Klopp, does he negotiate the term of a contract with the player, or is that the players agent and the clubs representatives?... For the same reasons I cannot blame BR it is the same reasons I cannot blame Klopp... A  manager should be judge on his sign and his choice of signing alone.The signing should be the players that he wants to bring to the club for the money he is given, and no one else should have input or restrictions on the players he chooses to sign...   
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #729: Feb 28, 2017 05:52:12 pm
      Klopp is entirely to blame. Klopp made the decision not to strengthen significantly in the Summer, and again in Jan. Klopp uses the same failing tactics and the same failing players against the bottom sides. However, Klopp is also new enough to still have time on his side but, just like everyone else in the squad, he has to prove he can learn from this and do better moving forward. A reaction against Arsenal is no good, I fully expect us to beat them, City and Everton. No its Burnley and Bournemouth etc. that I want to see a reaction in. Ten of our final thirteen games are against teams currently outside of the top seven, and seven of those are currently in the bottom half of the table. I want to see he's learned from his mistakes so far this season and us go take maximum points from them. If we don't, if we go lose because he's not changed the tactics and is setting up with the same people being played in the same wrong positions, then my faith in Klopp will quickly evaporate.
      If we had targets and fail to sign them is that truly down to Klopp' or does the problem lie elsewhere?...Say you have stated a reaction against Arsenal would be good but I too worry about those team out side the top seven and our ability to see them off.... In truth that horse may have already bolted
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #730: Feb 28, 2017 08:24:55 pm
      I find it frightening how our midfield disappears whe Henderson is missing
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #731: Feb 28, 2017 08:26:39 pm
      I find it frightening how our midfield disappears whe Henderson is missing

And he's going to be missing for the Arsenal game 😞

Not fancying our chances TBH...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #732: Feb 28, 2017 08:27:52 pm
      Mark,Mark,Mark... If he is out half the season injuries then take another 10 games or so to get match fit and start score in regularly we only have him at his best for 14 games or so, that's providing we can keep him fit and injury free is the really any point in having him... Newcastle should have won the premier league twice and a CL but had the same problem with  Alan Shearer and Les Ferdinand... How would the 1996 4-3 game have panned out if Shearer were fit?... or for that matter 4-3, 10 Mar 1997 season... Failure to have ther main goal scorer fit cost Newcastle as failure to have our main goal scorer is costing us

The awful truth.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #733: Feb 28, 2017 08:41:50 pm

Gutted....

I actually said to me bird last night that Leicester were out to stop/hurt mane in the first half? Steptoe did a f***in job alright
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #734: Feb 28, 2017 08:50:28 pm
      Paul Walsh just touched on a point that I 100% agree with . In the first 5/10  minutes you can tell how we are going to play and when we start poor very rarely do we get out of it noticed a few times now. Soft ? No leaders ? Changes not made early enough ?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #735: Feb 28, 2017 08:58:11 pm

You know what's costing us and has probably cost us over the years.... our defensive. Season after season, it has cost us a place in the CL positions, it has cost us the title and it cost us the Europa League.

Utd , Spurs , City and Arsenal have 20+ season strikers, but look at where they are in the table and how close it is between 2-6. Imagine if we had Kante or De Gea, I bet we would be up there challenging Chelsea, that or 3-6 points behind them.

Quick Reply