Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.8%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (1.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      6 (4.9%)
      Adam Lallana
      73 (59.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      31 (25.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Voting closed: Mar 08, 2017 07:28:04 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24551 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Mar 05, 2017 07:48:36 am
      I thought we were very good throughout, aside from being way too gung-ho in the second half. Quite why our full backs keep on bombing on even when we're two goals to the good is a mystery to me, but as they ALL do it I can only assume it's what they've been instructed to do. I thought Can was fortunate not to get sent off, but I don't think it would have altered the result.

My ratings:

Migs: A couple of goodish saves but still didn't really inspire any confidence. If Karius isn't better than him he has no business at the club, even at 24yo. 6/10.

Clyne: One or two excellent moments in defence, got forward with gusto but his final ball wasn't good on occasions. Decent performance though from Mister consistency. 7/10.

Matip: Did well throughout and managed to hold it all together even when they decided to come out and play. Should have scored from Coutinho's beautifully flighted free-kick, but aside from that was very good. 7/10.

Klavan: Certainly a massive upgrade on Lucas and was solid throughout. I like him to tell the truth, a good honest pro. 7/10.

Milner: His usual tireless self, bombing up and down the line all game and giving 110%. That we have gone all season with Milly at left-back is a fantastic achievement by him, and I thought he was very good yet again today despite often having to deal with the best attacking right back in the league. 7/10.

Wijnaldum: One of his better games capped off with an excellent goal. 7/10.

Lallana: Clear MOM and aside from one overhit pass barely put a foot wrong. At this level he really is a class player, one of the best in the league. 9/10.

Can: Lucky to stay on the pitch IMHO but overall probably his best performance of the season. 7.5/10.

Firmino: Took his goal well and got a good assist for the second. Tireless in his running and this was definitely his best game since Christmas. Hopefully this signifies the proper return to form from him that we desperately need, given he is clearly going to get selected regardless of how he plays we really could do with him being on song from now on. 7.5/10.

Coutinho: Little flashes of brilliance and quality all over. Not his best game by any means but still a shining star of a player. 7/10.

Mane: Excellent performance from Saido, on this form he's very difficult to contain. Great goal too. 8/10.

Subs:

Origi: Did well when he came on, ran around a lot which was what was needed. 7/10.

Pretty much agree with that, although I'd give Mig's a 7 personally. Made a really good save against Giroud as he moved across the goal and dived back the way he came from, I was honestly expecting the net to ripple from that.

The Wellbeck goal was just exquisitely taken and you can't really begrudge a quality finish like that getting past the keeper.

He was a bit ropey on the crosses as usual, and flapped at thin air, but he collected a nice one (bread n butter) cross in the first half to wipe out Wellbeck.

But like you said, if Karius can't oust him then no matter his age he really shouldn't be here.

I also like Klavan too, I think he's usually neat and tidy and uses his experience well when covering the back line. I think he came in for a bit of stick earlier on at the turn of the year but I've put that down to the old boy being flogged in and around a congested fixture list. With the added Brucie Bonus that it's his first year in the wild west of the Premier league, he looked dead on his feet during that period. And with that said, I hope to f**k we're never that desperate again that we have to resort to using Lucas in there.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #507: Mar 05, 2017 07:56:10 am
      3 points is always 3 points and all games should be treated equally but if our last two results had been the other way around - beaten Leicester then lost to Arsenal - we'd be one place lower and a point behind Arsenal.

And if we'd have taken more than 6 pts from our last 21 pts prior to yesterday - you wouldn't be talking about swapping points and games between Arsenal and Leicester. 
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,227 posts | 1650 
      Reply #508: Mar 05, 2017 09:43:07 am
      There has been much talk about our inability to break down "Bus parking teams " but Arsenal not try and change their usual style and go a bit more direct and counter attack . No different to how Burnley play and others who have frustrated us. I think our inability is more physcological and is either complacency or lack of leaders when going gets tough.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #509: Mar 05, 2017 10:09:03 am
      Well done lads .

You can do it when you want to ...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #510: Mar 05, 2017 10:58:48 am
      Absolutely. He's not good enough to be a talisman and he's far from world class. He has great moments but he isn't a great player. Form at the moment does not justify a starting place. I'd certainly be looking to Origi personally.

I wouldn't do that because just around the corner, Coutinho will win us fames that Origi won't.

Origi is quite handy to bring on as a sub when we are ahead too.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #511: Mar 05, 2017 11:06:41 am
      Ah sorry mate, didn't notice that.

I don't think whether you create it or not would have an influence and I much prefer your professional touch but if you're superstitious then fair enough.

I'm a Catholic religion teacher but ironically I'm a little superstitious.

We need to transfer this way of playing towards Burnley's bus.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #512: Mar 05, 2017 11:56:01 am
      There has been much talk about our inability to break down "Bus parking teams " but Arsenal not try and change their usual style and go a bit more direct and counter attack . No different to how Burnley play and others who have frustrated us. I think our inability is more physcological and is either complacency or lack of leaders when going gets tough.

Arsenal were more of an attacking outfit than the obvious park up merchants and we had the players and strategy to press home the advantage.
      Where the opposition remain entrenched in their own half for the majority of the game our back line advance meeting little or no threat, Arsenal did have strikers who lived up to the description but it was Wenger's folly to leave out Sanchez who could have made the adventurous defenders pay for their over-confidence.

In the event Arsenal were gradually worn down and even the introduction of Sanchez was too little too late, maybe Wenger believed the hype in the media about LFC being a spent force.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #513: Mar 05, 2017 12:56:33 pm
      I think the way to beat the bus parkers is perhaps to sit deep, give them possession, and when they finally advance hit them on the break. It might be a dull game but sooner or later these teams will have to advance at which point we pounce.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,694 posts | 880 
      Reply #514: Mar 05, 2017 01:25:24 pm
      Knowing our luck, we'll sit deep, give them the ball.. and then they'll score!  :laugh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #515: Mar 05, 2017 02:35:40 pm
      I know a lot of people are afraid of what Liverpool might turn up against Burnley (and rightly so given our record), but let's not forget Burnley have only 2 points away from home. They're by far the worst visiting team in the league, and the only reason they're not in the bottom 3 is that they perform incredibly well at home - 5th in league in that respect, if I recall correctly. We should have no problems with them
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,533 posts | 3904 
      Reply #516: Mar 05, 2017 03:29:54 pm
      I know a lot of people are afraid of what Liverpool might turn up against Burnley (and rightly so given our record), but let's not forget Burnley have only 2 points away from home. They're by far the worst visiting team in the league, and the only reason they're not in the bottom 3 is that they perform incredibly well at home - 5th in league in that respect, if I recall correctly. We should have no problems with them

We said the same sh*t before Swansea, Sunderland and Leicester.

Means nothing
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #517: Mar 05, 2017 03:35:14 pm

Shhhh
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #518: Mar 05, 2017 03:38:03 pm
      We said the same sh*t before Swansea, Sunderland and Leicester.

Means nothing

Not really

Leicester wasn't at Anfield so it's not really relevant, but Burnley is even worse away from home than Swansea and Sunderland by a considerable margin. 2 draws and 0 wins in 13 games. Must be one of the worst away teams ever
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #519: Mar 05, 2017 05:42:24 pm
      Not really

Leicester wasn't at Anfield so it's not really relevant, but Burnley is even worse away from home than Swansea and Sunderland by a considerable margin. 2 draws and 0 wins in 13 games. Must be one of the worst away teams ever

Knowing our luck against bus parkers, they'll probably snatch their first win away from home :(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #520: Mar 05, 2017 06:30:51 pm
      Knew we'd win yesterday, apart from the goal, Arsenal weren't that good, the worry is now whether we'll turn up against Burnley, or the can't be arsed team from last monday turns up.

Boss finishes by Mane and Gini for the second and third goals though.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #521: Mar 05, 2017 07:40:27 pm
      Knew we'd win yesterday, apart from the goal, Arsenal weren't that good, the worry is now whether we'll turn up against Burnley, or the can't be arsed team from last monday turns up.

Boss finishes by Mane and Gini for the second and third goals though.

They were, both top quality.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #522: Mar 05, 2017 08:09:54 pm
      Now we know why he was dropped which is fair enough can't be doing that.

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/838464777009643520
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #523: Mar 05, 2017 08:32:47 pm

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/838464777009643520

Well, he should have joined us instead of the namby pamby team in London. Serves him right.  >:(

Having said above, I will forgive him if he joins us.  ;)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #524: Mar 05, 2017 08:38:44 pm

And to think that Wenger got so much sh*t for dropping him. Just goes to show how clueless we fans are when it comes to internal stuff! Credit where it's due for Wenger for not calling him out too... but then again, was it his Agent or someone within the club leaking it at Wengers Approval? ;)

I wonder If Sanchez regrets not joining us :D

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #525: Mar 05, 2017 09:32:08 pm
      Great response to that sh*te performance at Leicester.
      Everyone put a shift in and it was great to watch.
      Three fantastic finishes for the goals..

Why we couldn't play like that in Jan/Feb will remain the seasons biggest mystery for us..
      Hard to believe that was only our second win of 2017.

Can't wait for Burnley now... we'll smash em..

Top Job Boys...well done..

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,272 posts | 761 
      Reply #526: Mar 05, 2017 09:53:42 pm
      Beating Burnley, obviously a priority after yesterday's victory against the Arse. Almost like a cup final, just hope the players do not bottle it on the day.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,281 posts | 1513 
      Reply #527: Mar 05, 2017 10:41:46 pm
      Struggling for motm with Mane and lallana both candidates.
      Think I'll side with Lallana for his extra miles.
      Great performance from them both.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #528: Mar 06, 2017 08:36:13 am
      Found a cool liner:

Liverpool is like Robin Hood. They steal points from the big Clubs and give them the small.

;D  8)  :angel:  >:D  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Hahahaha seen that too mate but it had this picture attached, made me chuckle a bit until I realized how F***ing true it is.

Well, he should have joined us instead of the namby pamby team in London. Serves him right.  >:(

Having said above, I will forgive him if he joins us.  ;)

This one made me laugh a lot

"If Wegner managed Barca"

Quick Reply