Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Get Rid of Transfer Windows?

Read 1864 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Get Rid of Transfer Windows?
      Mar 06, 2017 12:59:02 pm
      Do you think the January and summer transfer windows should be scrapped and clubs allowed to do transfer dealings whenever they want? I can't remember but didn't it used to be like this back in the day, or was there a few months when no transfer dealings could be completed?

If there were no transfer windows, would it benefit the richer teams, very probably, but it would also mean more revenue for smaller clubs, on a more frequent basis. The cash received could be put to good use.

I think it would also make the entire game more exciting. I could however be talking rubbish.

What do you think?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Get Rid of Transfer Windows?
      Reply #1: Mar 06, 2017 01:03:32 pm
      Do you think the January and summer transfer windows should be scrapped and clubs allowed to do transfer dealings whenever they want? I can't remember but didn't it used to be like this back in the day, or was there a few months when no transfer dealings could be completed?

If there were no transfer windows, would it benefit the richer teams, very probably, but it would also mean more revenue for smaller clubs, on a more frequent basis. The cash received could be put to good use.

I think it would also make the entire game more exciting. I could however be talking rubbish.

What do you think?

I'd be in favour. I'm stick of last minute deadline day deals falling through due to running out if time.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2: Mar 06, 2017 01:26:25 pm
      I can't remember but didn't it used to be like this back in the day,
      It did indeed Rushy and not that long ago really (15 years).

Aye I'd be all for it; if only that it meant I wouldn't have to listen to the sh*te that "there's no value to be had in January" ever again.

The obverse to that tho' is that I'd have to listen to pish excuses all year round.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #3: Mar 06, 2017 01:52:20 pm
      I can't remember but didn't it used to be like this back in the day, or was there a few months when no transfer dealings could be completed?

Used to be just the last month or so of the season when you couldn't carry out a transfer.

Actually, I think they should probably consider abolishing transfer windows so that players contracts are exactly the same as any other profession.

The one caveat would be clubs would have to submit a list of players for each competition - maybe in the league before the first game and before the 20th game, and all cup competitions before their first game in it.

Can't see a problem with that.  Somebody who plays in August for one team shouldn't be playing for another against them in September IMO.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #4: Mar 06, 2017 01:55:18 pm
      Only 15 years ago, that's very surprising! I thought it was way before that. Mind you, I'd struggle to tell you what I had for tea yesterday :D

I do like the idea that there'd be no time limit in wrapping up deals. It would make it very interesting.

I also like the idea that it would enable the smaller clubs to make more revenue via transfer dealings.

Anyone know why a transfer window was implemented in the first place?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #5: Mar 06, 2017 01:56:17 pm
      Can't see a problem with that.  Somebody who plays in August for one team shouldn't be playing for another against them in September IMO.
      Very good point

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #6: Mar 06, 2017 02:05:12 pm

What do you think?

Absolutely need to have transfer windows.

Otherwise you'll have players handing in transfer requests every day of the week every time they have a strop.

Plus agents will take advantage and be in players ears constantly pushing them to move clubs so they get a slice of the pie.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #7: Mar 06, 2017 02:50:23 pm
      I'm in favour of scrapping the transfer window period, can't see why they won't allow it to be.

Only relating to our club, I would get rid on the TC too & allow the manager to pick the players required, how easy is that?..
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #8: Mar 06, 2017 02:53:12 pm
      If scrapped, wouldn't there be an issue as Bazspeedman pointed out with players handing in transfer requests when they felt like it?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Mar 06, 2017 03:12:57 pm
      Yes, on account that there'd be no more of that Jim 'Sad uncle at a wedding' White nonsense that Sky feel obliged to force down our throat...even if we don't have Sky.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #10: Mar 06, 2017 05:39:54 pm
      Well, one negative would be that a club could come in and tap up a player at any time during the season then.

In American  professional sports there are "trade" deadlines that are imposed about 3/5 of the way through the season so that good players on teams that aren't good can't be traded to teams that are in the running for the championship.

I'd think the distraction that it could cause would be more of a headache than it is now but hard to say.

Quick Reply