Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The Run In - 2016-17

Read 86862 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      The Run In - 2016-17
      Mar 07, 2017 12:12:18 pm
      I put this handy little 'run in' pic together. Looks interesting as we seem to have the easier run in of the lot:

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2017 02:11:34 pm by Rush »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: The Run In
      Reply #1: Mar 07, 2017 12:25:48 pm
      So on paper it looks as if we have the easiest run in and I would expect us to get something like 26/27points out of a possible 33. Therefore knowing us, we will probably lose the majority of those games and get a total of about 5  :lmao:

The mancs have a terrible run in. Not only do they play Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs but they have two tough away games in Southampton and Burnley. With the distraction of the Europa league they would be lucky to get a return of 20 points.

Arsenal are in complete turmoil at the moment and this is the season I think they will finish outside of the top 4. Their run in is pretty tough.

I think Spurs will safely finish inside the top 4, along with City.

Fourth spot has now become a fight between us, Arsenal and United and taking everything into consideration, I think we are favourites. I expect us to get it.

United also have a chance of securing CL football through the EL which is probably their biggest chance. In a couple of weeks time they may throw all of their eggs into that basket.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #2: Mar 07, 2017 12:30:04 pm
      I think Spurs are dead certs to get a 4th place berth, and I think Utd are going to come unstuck soon. Like someone said, they've gone on this great undefeated run so law of averages says they'll drop points soon. Could argue it's started with the Bournemouth result. Add to this the fact Zlatan will probably be banned for 3 games, I think it's a two horse race between us and Arsenal. And they have the more tricky run in

Of course the way we've been playing, we'd have preferred our run in to be the hardest, because that's when we tend to perform.

Going to be interesting.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #3: Mar 07, 2017 01:13:09 pm
      We finished 8th with 60 points last year.  At the start of the season I said I thought us getting 10 points more would be a sign of improvement but that it might only translate to about 6th or 7th because all the other 'top teams' would improve.

It looks like most of that is playing out.  Based on our transfers last summer I don't think anyone thought we were going to bang 25 points on to our total.

For me 70 points would be progress.  75 points would probably be very good progress.

In 6 of the last 7 years we have ended with 63 points or less - those days need to be over, not with one freak season but with consistent improvement.

So going off those point totals I'd be disappointed if we didn't get 18 more points and I'd be very surprised if we got more than 23 points.

I think Spurs are dead certs to get a 4th place berth, and I think Utd are going to come unstuck soon.

Chelsea shoe-in.  Spurs fluffed last year but they still ended third.  They look better this year so they're qualified.  Be some shock if City and United didn't make top four the amounts they have shelled out. 

We shouldn't be allowing Arsenal to finish above us having beaten them home and away but ultimately I think us and Arsenal will finish outside the top four and for us probably by an annoyingly thin margin.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #4: Mar 07, 2017 01:17:04 pm
      We are on 52 points after 27 games played which incidentally is only 4pts off 2013/14.

Personally I always look at the 2pts per game as the barometer for Top 4 so we need to pick up another 24 pts from the 33 available and it should put us right in contention.

Next Sunday will be a huge indicator if we can get to the 76pts.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #5: Mar 07, 2017 01:17:22 pm
      You can add City to manures fixtures also  :lmao:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: The Run In - 2016-17
      Reply #6: Mar 07, 2017 01:26:45 pm
      We should and will pick up at least 2 points average out of all that.

I'm hopeful we will start smashing the wee teams starting with burnley at the weekend.

We will finish top 4 at a minimum.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Mar 07, 2017 01:31:54 pm
      Arsenal & Scum to 'miss out' but that has been passed off as being a good thing by so many recently... I'm not sure: is it a bad or good thing? 🤔
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #8: Mar 07, 2017 01:33:15 pm
      With watching our performances against Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal this year, and then watching us against everyone else - I don't think anyone would be hugely surprised if we lost against Burnley and then hammered City away.

Some people will be looking at that list at the top of this page and thinking that the games in yellow are the ones we are guaranteed 3 points!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #9: Mar 07, 2017 01:36:01 pm
      You can add City to manures fixtures also  :lmao:
      Took the fixtures off the BBC website and it wasn't included due to the fixture not having a date yet. I've included now
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #10: Mar 07, 2017 01:37:06 pm
      I updated the pic to (sort of) include the Man City v Man Utd fixture. Not sure what happened, but hopefully whatever it was can happen again so we can view it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2017 01:44:26 pm
      With watching our performances against Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal this year, and then watching us against everyone else - I don't think anyone would be hugely surprised if we lost against Burnley and then hammered City away.

Some people will be looking at that list at the top of this page and thinking that the games in yellow are the ones we are guaranteed 3 points!

But you are basing this on Klopp and his team still not being able to beat shitty teams for the rest of this season, but I suspect we will turn a corner on that front, hopefully starting with Burnley. IF we can do this then we easily get top 4 if we don't then we need to really reevaluate where we are at the end of the season including our manager.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2017 02:08:15 pm
      I put this handy little 'run in' pic together. Looks interesting as we seem to have the easier run in of the lot:

Try this:

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2017 04:58:53 pm by JD »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #13: Mar 07, 2017 02:12:31 pm
      Thanks Diego

For some reason the copied link did not include the extension .jpg
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 2817 
      Reply #14: Mar 07, 2017 02:50:25 pm
      Arsenal and United are the teams we've got to be looking at getting in front of. Chelsea obviously will finish in the top four. City look much better now that they are going all out for goals so I think they are sorted. Only way I can see Spurs missing out is if Kane gets injured.

Arsenal and United have much tougher run ins than ours, even outside the big games Arsenal have to go Palace and Boro who may be desperate for points whilst United have to go to Burnley, Southampton and a couple of relegation candidates as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho just concentrated on the Europa League (they should walk that trophy in all honesty when you look at the teams left) if they drop a few more points in the next few games.

Obviously we need to improve against the smaller teams to stand a chance though. If that starts on Sunday then we should make top four.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #15: Mar 07, 2017 03:05:01 pm
      And Zlatan just handed a 3 match ban
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: Mar 07, 2017 03:06:15 pm
      I'm hoping for 30 points.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Mar 07, 2017 03:26:16 pm
      To clarify, are you saying Jürgen should be at risk of we don't get top four or Jürgen will need to re-evaluate where the squad are if we don't get top four?

I would say that IF Jürgen and his team can not find a Plan B or a way of breaking down teams who park the bus between now and the end of the season then we need to decide on whether or not he is the right manager for us. At this level a manager must be adaptable and find ways of winning games in more than just one way.

BTW for clarification I fully expect him to not only develop a Plan B, but successfully implement it and secure us 4th place and the league in a few years time.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Mar 07, 2017 03:51:35 pm
      Can't see Chavs f***in up now so the title for me is theirs, if Harry @ Spuds stays fit they'll be bridesmaids, that leaves ourselves Shitty, Arse & MUtants fighting it out for the two remaining CL spots,

We hopefully are out of our Shitty period and will now go on a point collection spell of games, not saying we're gonna win every point on offer but I'd like to think we'll get somewhere near 2pts per game,

With Shitty in decent form & with CL midweek fixtures to contend with I reckon they could fatigue and will drop points where they really should maximise,

MUtants have a fantastically tough run in and Europa league games so will inevitably drop points hahahahahaha kunts!

That leaves the Arse, I think it's safe to say their fu**ed in the CL, so their focus is maintaining their annual CL qualification berth as far as this season is concerned and of course the F**k up cup,

So for me the are our nemesis for 4th at the very least, having looked at the remaining respective fixtures you'd have to say it's ours to lose, but of course all of this is based on ifs and buts so all we can do is concentrate on what we do and F**k everyone else,
      At the end of the day what will be will be,  I'd like to think tho that we will finish in 4th, it's the least we can expect having such a good record against our so called rivals.

C'MON REDMEN

YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: Mar 07, 2017 03:52:45 pm
      It'd be lovely if we could do the run in on our own positive terms for once.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Mar 07, 2017 08:43:11 pm
      Based on form and squad, Chavs, Spuds and Shitty (game in hand) look in good shape for top4.

So likely between us, Manure and Arse for last spot.
      As mentioned above, Utd have tough run in, and the europa. Wenger seems intent on getting himself sacked. So we have a good chance, even if our form is patchy.

Progress for me this year is CL football.
      We drop to 5th or 6th, then no matter what the points, it'll have been a poor season.

The teams WE play, matters F**k all if at top or bottom of the table. Arse were brutal last weekend. Burnley will be better test of whether we've progressed on Jan form - need to be able to get past teams that get stuck in, defend deep, flight balls into our box etc.

Short season this one w.r.t. games played, wonder how we compare to the rest of the top6, quick google I couldn't find the stats. Not that many games left when you look at it, no Cup games in between. 10 matches.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #21: Mar 07, 2017 08:52:08 pm
      Based on form and squad, Chavs, Spuds and Shitty (game in hand) look in good shape for top4.

So likely between us, Manure and Arse for last spot.
      As mentioned above, Utd have tough run in, and the europa. Wenger seems intent on getting himself sacked. So we have a good chance, even if our form is patchy.

Progress for me this year is CL football.
      We drop to 5th or 6th, then no matter what the points, it'll have been a poor season.

The teams WE play, matters f**k all if at top or bottom of the table. Arse were brutal last weekend. Burnley will be better test of whether we've progressed on Jan form - need to be able to get past teams that get stuck in, defend deep, flight balls into our box etc.

Short season this one w.r.t. games played, wonder how we compare to the rest of the top6, quick google I couldn't find the stats. Not that many games left when you look at it, no Cup games in between. 10 matches.

More like business as usual.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Mar 07, 2017 09:50:15 pm

Well, we got to two finals last year, didn't win em, but still, they were good runs. Didn't have that taking the edge off this year, and Klopp's a year on in the job.

Quick Reply