Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Run In - 2016-17

Read 86231 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Re: The Run In - 2016-17
      Reply #23: Mar 08, 2017 06:40:55 pm
      Three things struck me reading this thread.

1) Wish we were playing the ManUre in the next 3 games (no Zlatan Elbowimavic)!

2) How much better our prospects would be if we'd managed just ONE more win in the cock-up fest that was Jan / Feb.

3) The league is still a (very remote) possibility, mathematically, so why not go for broke.  No cup distractions, just go for maximum points.  Chelsea lose four, draw a couple (yeah, I KNOW.  Bear with me!) We're in!  Pay the bas**rds back for 13/14.

Signed - The Eternal Optimist

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #24: Mar 08, 2017 07:07:45 pm
      Three things struck me reading this thread.

1) Wish we were playing the ManUre in the next 3 games (no Zlatan Elbowimavic)!

2) How much better our prospects would be if we'd managed just ONE more win in the cock-up fest that was Jan / Feb.

3) The league is still a (very remote) possibility, mathematically, so why not go for broke.  No cup distractions, just go for maximum points.  Chelsea lose four, draw a couple (yeah, I KNOW.  Bear with me!) We're in!  Pay the bas**rds back for 13/14.

Signed - The Eternal Optimist

I have more chance of hooking up with Alexandra Daddario :D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #25: Mar 08, 2017 07:08:32 pm
      Top 3  =  Chavs & Spuds ...   and City especially if they win against Stoke tonight.

Leaves Us v The Arse and The Scum.

The Arse are going to have confidence problems . If we take Bayern and us we are talking   13- 3   goals against in their last three matches.

Ibra has completely carried the Scum and like RVP did a couple of years back has made a massive difference to the Manc's fortunes.

Out of sheer pride we need to keep them below us and as has been said , methinks also , that they may focus on the Europa for the CL as we tried to do at the end of last season. They've a lot of games.

Bottom line is ......... no more f**k ups against teams in the lower half of the Premier League.

Its all down to us ..... we should even be worrying about what the other teams do or don't do.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #26: Mar 08, 2017 08:06:34 pm
      Why is Everton highlighted?
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #27: Mar 08, 2017 08:59:10 pm
      Possibly the threat from Lukaku, Barkley, Mirallas, Coleman and Baines and their recent decent form, not sure. It would be interesting to see the author's thoughts
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #28: Mar 08, 2017 10:08:09 pm
      Why are Everton highlighted?

Because it's an emotional derby where the form book (usually) gets thrown out the window.

I think it will be a tricky encounter.

EDIT: Plus what Paul said above.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29: Mar 09, 2017 01:08:53 pm
      OK so Citeh and Spurs are just 4 points ahead of us now, there is no reason why we can't catch them, that has to be the aim, shoot for the stars and sail over the trees etc.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #30: Mar 09, 2017 07:09:34 pm
      Quote from Rush
      Why are Everton highlighted?

Because it's an emotional derby where the form book (usually) gets thrown out the window.

I think it will be a tricky encounter.

The form book says we haven't lost to the small club since the Hodgson days and haven't lost at home this century.

The form book doesn't go out the window. It just keeps turning the page as the years go by.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #31: Mar 11, 2017 10:23:19 am
      As Klopp has said as per The Mirror, if we don't achieve top 4 this year it will be failure.

A few months back there was talk of a title challenge, nobody was even worrying about making the top 4, such was the good half a season form we were in.

- We've played 9 out 10 games against the top 6.

- 7 of our 11 remaining games are at Anfield.

With those favourable ^^ advantages, I will say now that if we don't make 4th, 3rd or whatever, and after embarrassingly crashing out of both cups I will lose a fair bit of faith in Jürgen.

Fingers crossed we can celebrate Arsenal style come the end of the season.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #32: Mar 11, 2017 10:33:56 am
      Every single game should be highlighted on there, that's the problem with the team at the moment, these highlighted games they decide to turn up to.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #33: Mar 11, 2017 11:13:41 am
      A shameful December and January aside, we are quite clearly better at football than United and Arsenal so finishing below either or both of those would be a massive disappointment. The lesson of this season is our unlearned lesson of the last twenty five years, beat the sh*t teams. Chelsea did that and will be champions despite being average versus other decent teams.

Beat the dross, win the league. I'm f**king sick of seeing our fans parrot that 'mini league' stat around like it'd mean a thing if we came 6th on less than 75 points.

We have a lot of dross between now and the end of the season, we need to start winning against them again.

It would absolutely unforgivable to not finish in at least fourth from where we started 2017 from. Still can't help but feel the decision to leave the squad so woefully thin last summer and to choose not to remedy this in January has been a costly mistake.

A mistake which would be compounded by a lack of Champions League football next year and another summer of 'we trieds' from Fenway Excuses Group.

From a personal point of view, I've seen us finish on 80+ points only four times in my life. I'd really like to see an 80+ finish regardless of which league position that ultimately gets us. If you are in the habit as a club of accumulating 80+ points then you will sooner or later win a title, bounces of a ball or bits of luck here or there.

For too long we've been finishing on mid 60 points and crowing about meaningless statistics or sporadic good performances to keep us warm as fans. It needs to stop, this acceptance of mediocrity needs to be end.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #34: Mar 11, 2017 11:37:46 am
      As Klopp has said as per The Mirror, if we don't achieve top 4 this year it will be failure.

A few months back there was talk of a title challenge, nobody was even worrying about making the top 4, such was the good half a season form we were in.

With those favourable ^^ advantages, I will say now that if we don't make 4th, 3rd or whatever, and after embarrassingly crashing out of both cups I will lose a fair bit of faith in Jürgen.

Pretty much agree here Beer.

Top four is a minimum for me as well and anything less is a failure.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #35: Mar 11, 2017 11:51:39 am
      So Arsenal and Man Utd to miss out?

Seems a big ask that because I cannot remember the last time that happened. It's possible though.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #36: Mar 11, 2017 11:56:00 am

Seems a big ask that because I cannot remember the last time that happened. It's possible though.

Arsenal look abject and you can't do the same brinkmanship every year without eventual failure. And United can't score goals.

If we don't finish above both from here then we deserve the summer of excuses and sh*t signings we'll get... it just so happens we'd get that anyway even if we did finish above both.

So it really is all to play for till May.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #37: Mar 11, 2017 11:58:16 am

This coupled with Utd's awful fixture list and Arsenal's meltdown..no excuses for anything but top 4.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38: Mar 11, 2017 11:59:33 am

If Leicester can win the league, then surely to F**k Liverpool F.C can finish 4th.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Mar 11, 2017 12:24:35 pm
      Pretty much agree here Beer.

Top four is a minimum for me as well and anything less is a failure.

Is anyone suggesting otherwise Si?

Just as it was with Brendan, anything other than 4th or above is a failure and there can be no doubt about that whatsoever.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #40: Mar 11, 2017 12:27:23 pm

No idea mate.

Was just responding to Beer. Haven't had much time to read the thoughts in here but like you say I'd like to think most would see top 4 as a bare minimum.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #41: Mar 11, 2017 12:29:33 pm
      No idea mate.

Was just responding to Beer. Haven't had much time to read the thoughts in here but like you say I'd like to think most would see top 4 as a bare minimum.

Fair enough mate.

Same in that respect, I thought it was well established that 4th or above is the aim this year.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #42: Mar 11, 2017 12:51:32 pm

Just as it was with Brendan, anything other than 4th or above is a failure and there can be no doubt about that whatsoever.

Do you think he will be judged the same as Brendan in the eventuality of a top 4 miss? or will we hear the same 'it's not his squad yet' 'he did it at Dortmund on a budget' and his charisma points will earn him a pass.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #43: Mar 11, 2017 12:55:00 pm
      We really have to finish as high as possible, automatic qualification in second place would be ideal, there's no guarantee we would get through the qualifying round.
      I'll have a lot more confidence for the rest of the run in if we can get past Burnley, this game will tell a tale.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #44: Mar 11, 2017 12:56:50 pm
      Do you think he will be judged the same as Brendan in the eventuality of a top 4 miss? or will we hear the same 'it's not his squad yet' 'he did it at Dortmund on a budget' and his charisma points will earn him a pass.

Well nobody will be calling for his head, but it will definitely be seen as a failure if we don't make top 4
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Mar 11, 2017 12:57:12 pm

I think if we did miss it people should simply judge it fairly. I know there's a lot of people who want to say he's had 3 transfer windows but in my book he's had 1 proper one and in a large part did well in that one. We've shown massive improvement against the better teams, in fact our results are unrecognisable to our time under Brendan and for those two very simple reasons more patience should, and indeed would, be given.

His charisma should earn him very little if it isn't producing on the pitch results. Sure I had an issue with Brendan's personality and warm to Jürgen much more easily but what happens on the pitch is 99% of where he'll really be judged and from what I've seen I've been massively encouraged.

So if we were to miss out on top 4 I'd call it a failure and expect him to correct that this summer. If by the end of next season we still weren't in the top 4 then I believe much more serious questions would need answering but for now I think it would still be fair to call it a building job whether we make top 4 or not.

Quick Reply