Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The Run In - 2016-17

Read 86875 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Re: The Run In - 2016-17
      Reply #46: Mar 11, 2017 02:28:46 pm
      We may have the so called "easiest" run in, until the end of the season, but it is these games, that the Reds tend to bottle.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #47: Mar 11, 2017 02:38:32 pm
      Missing CL this season would indeed be deemed a failure considering how we fared up until December, however, if we do manage to secure CL then I would deem it a remarkable achievement considering where we finished last season,
      With relatively little outlay, shallow squad, lack of quality, then add injuries ACN and of course poor form, qualifying for the CL would be amazing imo,

I think we will in all honesty, out of Arse & MUtants we're in prime position, it's ours to lose,
      Like Luke I feel Jürgen has had only one window, so for me he has 3 more active windows,
      3 more opportunities to build us into a side capable of regular title tilts, regular CL qualification,
      Reality is we have punched above our weight for the most part, but we are a way off the finished article, but if we continue to progress the way we are, it won't take too long for the fruits of our labour to shine through,

It's pivotal we gain CL this season, it's part of our progress, if we don't it's a bit of a set back, not the end of the world but a severe kick in the bawbag,

It will be much harder next season given that our rivals will improve where we would stand still!

It ain't gonna happen tho!

IJWT

YNWA
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #48: Mar 11, 2017 02:45:42 pm
      Look, I'm all for Jürgen but seriously can we refrain from this nonsense where we swear the sky is pink and make ridiculous excuses about him. He's had THREE transfer windows, he chose not to do business in two of them but THAT WAS HIS CHOICE!!! All this "well I only count it as one window" nonsense, you can count it as what you want, he's had three. I've never heard such ridiculousness in my life.

What next, we count 4th as being Champions? Jesus wept.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #49: Mar 11, 2017 02:46:24 pm
      I predicted pre season we would finish 6th, but after our performances until Dec, I was convinced we would get in the top 4.
      We may perform well against the top 6 sides. With us being one of them, if it were 100% it would only yield 30 points. It's the remainder e need to do better with. Burnley tomorrow is massive in that respect, so yo win that may well get us back on track against the sides we are expected to beat.
      Regarding transfers, I think it's understandable we didn't sign anyone in Jan due to Klopps targets being unavailable. If Klopp settled for an alternative of lesser quality, he would get slated like Rogers was for doing just that.
      Not sure if Klopp can secure all his targets in one window, and also unload the under performers, but with a couple we should see a marked improvement next season.
      If the targets are unattainable, and we finish in the top 4, I'm not convinced we can do ourselves justice with the squad we currently have. All in all, if we do get top 4, we need to spend big to have a chance of getting past the group stages.
      Top 4 and recruiting go hand in glove.
      I think Klopps success will clearly depend on recovering some ground this season, and getting the funding to secure his targets for next season.
       If he doesn't get the right funding, or his prime targets decide they want to play elsewhere, the issue is out of his hands, and it would be unjust to blame him as a manager.
      If he gets the funding, and secures his prime targets, then fails to make an improvement next season, he can then be held to account.
      But that's only my opinion, and I do believe we will make top 4 😃
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #50: Mar 11, 2017 03:10:41 pm
      Given the circumstances I would be very disappointed in finishing outside the top 4, which is mere par and the least we wanted this season. That would mean next to no progression from last year when we got to the final of the Europa League as well as playing two extra matches in the league cup and the FA Cup. If that would happen I think Klopp would have to take a long hard look at his team and do the decent thing and clear out a lot of the squad. He would no doubt ask himself some hard questions - could he have altered tactics in the face of Mane being injured? How long can you tolerate someone as poor as Mignolet being number 1 keeper, a keeper who we all know isn't even good enough to be a number 2?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Mar 11, 2017 03:21:07 pm
      Look, I'm all for Jürgen but seriously can we refrain from this nonsense where we swear the sky is pink and make ridiculous excuses about him. He's had THREE transfer windows, he chose not to do business in two of them but THAT WAS HIS CHOICE!!! All this "well I only count it as one window" nonsense, you can count it as what you want, he's had three. I've never heard such ridiculousness in my life.

Fairy muff Mick, I know what you're saying, he's only been active in one summer window, yes the windows are there to use but when was the last winter signing we made, I can't remember,?

Incidentally,
       jesus never wept, it's debatable he ever existed, not so different from those transfer windows,  and our inactivity within, 😂

YNWA

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #52: Mar 11, 2017 03:24:26 pm

Fairy muff Mick, I know what you're saying, he's only been active in one summer window, yes the windows are there to use but   when was the last winter signing we made, I can't remember,?

Incidentally,
       jesus never wept, it's debatable he ever existed, not so different from those transfer windows,  and our inactivity within, 😂

YNWA

Sturridge, Coutinho, Suarez, Carroll, players of that ilk mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #53: Mar 11, 2017 03:31:55 pm

Agree.

He's had three windows as far as I'm concerned Mick.

Has it been suggested he's had less?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #54: Mar 11, 2017 03:37:00 pm
      As a staunch Jürgen supporter if we don't make the top 4 then he has failed. Don't care about the windows and how many he has had that was the target and objective for this year.

But what gets on my tits is when posters compare how he is judged compared to Brendan. One poster above even suggests a lack of activity in the window is a good stick to beat him with at season end yet the same response of BR spunking 300m and failing can not be grasped.

Strange and bizzare to say the least.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #55: Mar 11, 2017 03:43:52 pm
      Agree.

He's had three windows as far as I'm concerned Mick.

Has it been suggested he's had less?

Seen it a couple of times now Si, this "in my eyes he's only REALLY had one window" nonsense. Almost like people are trying to get their excuses in early, why I've absolutely no idea because it seems to me like pretty much EVERYONE is fully behind the boss. I think they're probably making the mistake of thinking other posters will go as pitchfork happy as they did under Brendan, it's not going to happen I shouldn't think. Hopefully those embarrassing scenes won't be repeated any time in the near future.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #56: Mar 11, 2017 03:49:49 pm
      I think we should be targeting 3rd or 2nd as the scum are more than capable of winning the europa league this season.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #57: Mar 11, 2017 03:51:18 pm
      This run in, we are more than capable of putting a run of winning games together.

If we can keep our usual 11 fit and start each game with a desire and application that we've shown in the early stages of the season, we can and will beat anyone.

To do this though, we all need to be on board with it. Our home games are key and the support needs to be there. None of this first ten minutes of moderate noise and then everyone collectively moaning and groaning.

The players need to keep a mentality of reaching as many points as possible.

It's clear we need some important additions in the summer, but we have to go with what we have for now, which is quality as a team and not counting on an individual to get the points.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #58: Mar 11, 2017 03:55:55 pm
      I think we should be targeting 3rd or 2nd as the scum are more than capable of winning the europa league this season.

4th place doesn't qualify for the top 4 only in the circumstance that Man Utd and Leicester both win the Europa League and Champions Lesgue respectively while both finishing outside the top 4.

The CL can allocate 5 spots to the EPL but not 6.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #59: Mar 11, 2017 04:02:14 pm
      Why are Everton highlighted?

Because it's an emotional derby where the form book (usually) gets thrown out the window.

I think it will be a tricky encounter.

EDIT: Plus what Paul said above.
      Last I checked there was an argument there is 6 big clubs in PL. Arsenal, Chelsea,, Liverpool,  City, United and Spurs. As for Everton... not a small club but I don't see how they can be highlighted just because they are close games. We often have close games with much worse sides. Everton only slightly better than a middle side like Southampton and Stoke.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017 05:16:06 pm by Ribapuru »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #60: Mar 11, 2017 04:04:16 pm
      I think we'll be either 4th or 5th, and I reckon it's probably 4th. Unlike some though, I don't FWIW think it's failure if we finish outside the top four. Given we've only finished inside it once in God knows how long I think that's an unfair way of looking at it, particularly given how thin our squad is. 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #61: Mar 11, 2017 04:36:42 pm
      Seen it a couple of times now Si, this "in my eyes he's only REALLY had one window" nonsense. Almost like people are trying to get their excuses in early, why I've absolutely no idea because it seems to me like pretty much EVERYONE is fully behind the boss. I think they're probably making the mistake of thinking other posters will go as pitchfork happy as they did under Brendan, it's not going to happen I shouldn't think. Hopefully those embarrassing scenes won't be repeated any time in the near future.

Yep, agree - otherwise we're into Kellyanne Conway/alternative facts territory.
      We've had 3 windows. Just like every other club.
      Our favorite feeder club signed Gabbiadini in January.
      Certainly signing nobody DIDN'T help this January.

BR came within an inch of a title in season two. It can be done.  Though, that was all because of the players...

<<<insert paragraph here explaining tho why I still support Jürgen, just can't be bothered typing it ... again ...>>>
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #62: Mar 11, 2017 04:54:25 pm
      Yep, agree - otherwise we're into Kellyanne Conway/alternative facts territory.
      We've had 3 windows. Just like every other club.
      Our favorite feeder club signed Gabbiadini in January.
      Certainly signing nobody DIDN'T help this January.

BR came within an inch of a title in season two. It can be done.  Though, that was all because of the players...

<<<insert paragraph here explaining tho why I still support Jürgen, just can't be bothered typing it ... again ...>>>

Totally correct mate. We can discuss/argue all day long about whether or not the boss did the right thing by choosing to not bother with two of the windows, but to deny they even occurred is cloud cuckoo land.

The problem some posters get themselves into is that they fairly obviously went OTT when Rodgers was in charge (even two cup semi finals and a 6th place finish doesn't look TOO disastrous as of now, never mind almost winning the league) and now they're trying desperately to at least retain a smidge of consistency under Jürgen.

The reality obviously is that under the circumstances, the NET spend etc (and I see sillyness STILL prevailing where people omit the NET spend from their "spunkometer" and equally add in the cost of players who Rodgers either never signed or had about a month to work with) Rodgers did good at times, OK at others and poor on occasions. The reaction to him though, his decisions, his achievements or lack thereof, his teeth, his bird etc were completely out of proportion to what was going on. Some of us said at the time that in some respects it doesn't matter who the manager is, if we don't invest in the right players then we are going to struggle. That Rodgers signed most of our current first team, that Jürgen said he "liked the squad" and that there were obvious mistakes where Rodgers wanted one player but got lumbered with another is often overlooked. Had we (forgetting about Sanchez for  a second) even signed the likes of Ryan Bertrand instead of Alberto Moreno, anybody instead of Lazar Markovic etc the team could hardly have avoided being better than it was, but thems the breaks.

As it is, The folly of a "World Class manager" being able to secure number one targets even if we aren't paying comparably big bucks has been exposed for being the utter nonsense it always was. We are seeing that even Jürgen (a demonstrably better manager than Rodgers, the silly bollocks's will ignore that comment) can't persuade the likes of Draxler/Goetze and the rest of them to sign for less money, we are back to square one.

The solution is very simple. Find a manager we like (we've done that bit) and back him with funds so he can buy the players he wants. Couldn't be easier, lets just go ahead and do it. Lets not though make up silly excuses like there's only been one window when there's actually been three, such silliness just gets in the way.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #63: Mar 11, 2017 05:31:11 pm
      Last I checked there was an argument there is 6 big clubs in PL. Arsenal, Chelsea,, Liverpool,  City, United and Spurs. As for Everton... not a small club but I don't see how they can be highlighted just because they are close games. We often have close games with much worse sides. Everton only slightly better than a middle side like Southampton and Stoke.
      I always think local derbies have that little bit extra, unpredictability about them. Emotions run high and I think that can be a big factor in determining the winner. I think it may come down to who wants it the most.

Everton will also be out for revenge after we beat them 1-0 in the last few minutes at Goodison.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #64: Mar 12, 2017 01:50:18 am

It's ridiculous isn't it.

Revisionism at it's finest.

I suppose we'll have to declare that Caulker signed himself on loan and just walked through the door at Melwood.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #65: Mar 12, 2017 06:13:13 pm
      1 down , 10 to go.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #66: Mar 12, 2017 07:14:42 pm
      If we hadn't won today I would have thought that could have been it.

As it is Arsenal and Man Utd have to win both of their two games in hand to put us into 6th.   A little bit of pressure on them now although you would fancy one of them to manage that feat.

I don't think a draw at Man City would be the worst result in the world - they've all got to take points off each other in the final 10/11 games.

We should get a total of at least 70 points from here now.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #67: Mar 12, 2017 07:43:41 pm
      We should get a total of at least 70 points from here now.

Looking at our remaining fixtures, We should be aiming for minimum 20 points, 2 points per game average, 30 points to play for in 10 games with City the only big hitter to play.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #68: Mar 12, 2017 08:52:26 pm
      Looking at our remaining fixtures, We should be aiming for minimum 20 points, 2 points per game average,

Yep - 2 points a game is pretty much our average already even after our F***ing horrible 2 months - highlights how decent we were in the first few months.

Just a worry that our last 10 games we got 15 points.

I'm going to have a guess at 73 points. 5 wins 3 draws.

Quick Reply