Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Run In - 2016-17

Read 86897 times
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Re: The Run In - 2016-17
      Reply #391: Apr 25, 2017 11:38:40 am
      Sakho will make sure that Munts win - for sure - just to get back at Liverpool. He knows (if didn't already) that after his antics on Sunday.

:(  >:(
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,512 posts | 1500 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #392: Apr 25, 2017 12:45:22 pm
      Sakho will make sure that Munts win - for sure - just to get back at Liverpool. He knows (if didn't already) that after his antics on Sunday.

:(  >:(
      He was playing for one football club and he is now playing for another football club. I doubt he will be thinking which is the best way to ensure Palace lose just to get back at LFC. He's a professional footballer and will, therefore, do his best for Crystal Palace.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,983 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #393: Apr 25, 2017 01:09:40 pm
      No way is it your misfiring crew mate, our destiny is being juggled (precariously) in our own hands.

If it wasn't for the injuries piling up I might be thinking we cud sneak it.   ;D The Derby big game now.  ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #394: Apr 25, 2017 01:12:36 pm
      Rafa used zonal. We were not too bad then...

He had his critics for it.

Call me Old School but there is something to be said for 4-4-2 and man to man marking.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #395: Apr 25, 2017 01:26:03 pm
      Being an ex defender, you'd think Klopp would at least have some sort of idea as to sorting our leaks out..
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,512 posts | 1500 
      Reply #396: Apr 25, 2017 01:33:50 pm
      Maybe hire Carra as defensive coach
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,324 posts | 6380 
      Reply #397: Apr 25, 2017 02:03:35 pm
      Maybe hire Carra as defensive coach

Why, so we can hoof the ball up the pitch at every opportunity? ;D
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,512 posts | 1500 
      Reply #398: Apr 25, 2017 02:19:06 pm
      Perhaps he can bring his 16 years experience to the fore and instruct our current crop of defenders all about reading the game, when to tackle, where to tackle, and when the ball needs to be hoofed.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2017 02:51:32 pm by Rush »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #399: Apr 25, 2017 02:47:34 pm
      Zero luck? Are you joking? We were sh*te and you know it. As for luck, well you make your own...

How did Palace make their luck then, that ball from the corner deviating off one of our players past our defenders and straight onto the head of Benteke, when the F**k does stuff like that happen to us? How many deflected goals do we score. I honestly think we are one of the unluckiest teams in this respect and we have to work bloody hard for every single goal we get but then again I would rather we win by skill than luck.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #400: Apr 25, 2017 02:52:33 pm
      Rafa used zonal. We were not too bad then...

Zonal marking if done well is very very good but all to often our defenders don't attack the ball to clear it when it comes into their area, that's why we concede to much, we are basically far too soft in our defence and get bullied, and that there is absolutely no excuse for although I would say we have been getting a bit better over the last few months.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #401: Apr 25, 2017 03:01:21 pm
      If it wasn't for the injuries piling up I might be thinking we cud sneak it.   ;D The Derby big game now.  ;)

We have the same pile-up. What happened to the multi-millions you claim the ''richest club in the world'' have at their disposal? It seems you are always hinting they can buy their way out of trouble.
      Think your remaining games are going to sink you mate.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #402: Apr 25, 2017 03:19:21 pm
      You are correct mate as of we've been sh*te defensively, but for me its the type of defence used that's the problem..... Zonal marking.... It just doesn't work not for me it doesn't and it's certainly not working for us..I think I'm right in saying only Watford & Hull have conceded more than us this season. .

In zonal marking players defend an area, if the ball by-passes that area/zone the player defending leaves responsibility to another defender in his area/zone, it also means defences are more static giving attacking players a advantage when running /jumping up to win the ball.   

I don't know why but Jürgen seems to prefer this method other than man to man marking, in man to man you have a better chance to defend your area or at the very least hamper /thwart attempts on goal...... and it's why in our past we had the best defences for years which included your...Ron Yates, Tommy Smith's, Phil Thompson, Alan Hansen etc etc etc
      I honestly can't understand why, when a system that obviously doesn't work isn't changed, and in all honesty if we are to progress especially in Europe it Fookin needs to??

YNWA

Don't most of the top Euro sides use zonal marking as well?

I want us to sign two top defenders in the close season, but I think a lot of our defensive problems are down to not having a dominant midfield that excels at ball-winning, covering tactically and just making it difficult for teams to build an attack (not to mention not giving the ball away cheaply in the middle of the park - looking at you Emre Can). Look at nearly every Premiership and  Euro champion over the years and they had at least a couple of sons-of-bitches who others HATED to play against. Before you bring up playing an attractive style like Jürgen wants, I'm not talking one-trick ponies who have no quality in the attack, but who live up to their responsibilities defensively. Think what this year's team would be like with an in-form Mascherano or Hamann in midfield (and of course our best midfielder didn't shy away from his defensive duties either).

I think signing defenders without addressing the midfield would be only a partial fix.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,983 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #403: Apr 25, 2017 03:59:58 pm
      We have the same pile-up. What happened to the multi-millions you claim the ''richest club in the world'' have at their disposal? It seems you are always hinting they can buy their way out of trouble.
      Think your remaining games are going to sink you mate.

You have a couple of injuries stuey  :f_whistle: we have more  :D  I don't claim that but the stats say we're up their. Can't buy yet anyway.  ;D  On paper I agree the remaining games make it really hard hence you still be favourites for top four slot. I stand by best way for us is the Europa Cup.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,785 posts | 573 
      Reply #404: Apr 25, 2017 05:05:20 pm
      Let's all do permutations!

Or we could try and work out why Christian benteke had to stoop down to waist height to head in unmarked to lose a game at home to F***ing palace for the 3rd year in a row.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #405: Apr 25, 2017 06:25:22 pm
      How did Palace make their luck then, that ball from the corner deviating off one of our players past our defenders and straight onto the head of Benteke, when the f**k does stuff like that happen to us? How many deflected goals do we score. I honestly think we are one of the unluckiest teams in this respect and we have to work bloody hard for every single goal we get but then again I would rather we win by skill than luck.

How did they make their luck? By being able to keep our chances to a minimum and taking advantage of our generous defence. That's how they made their luck. So do what you're supposed to do, then you may get the rub of the green...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #406: Apr 25, 2017 06:28:21 pm
      You have a couple of injuries stuey  :f_whistle: we have more  :D  I don't claim that but the stats say we're up their. Can't buy yet anyway.  ;D  On paper I agree the remaining games make it really hard hence you still be favourites for top four slot. I stand by best way for us is the Europa Cup.

A couple of injuries? Are you actually serious with that statement? Considering the squad depth of the two teams, it's fairly obvious who are going to be hit hardest by injuries...

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,983 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #407: Apr 25, 2017 08:53:24 pm
      A couple of injuries? Are you actually serious with that statement? Considering the squad depth of the two teams, it's fairly obvious who are going to be hit hardest by injuries...

No it was more tongue & cheek hence the  :f_whistle: Was having the usual banter with stuey  :D
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #408: Apr 25, 2017 09:45:24 pm
      Who left the door open in the Manc thread? One seems to have escaped 😁
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #409: Apr 25, 2017 10:44:31 pm
      No it was more tongue & cheek hence the  :f_whistle: Was having the usual banter with stuey  :D

Forgive my stupidity 😂

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #410: Apr 26, 2017 05:06:37 am

i think i would prefer hoofball than to watch migs fish the ball out of the net a few times a game.  bentekes goals were laughable.  the first one especially. still pisses me off he had so much time in the small box.  wow
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #411: Apr 26, 2017 07:27:34 am
      Can't believe we're bum twitching on top 4 now.

The season looks to be piece by piece falling apart.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #412: Apr 26, 2017 10:00:22 am
      I personally think we won't make top 4. I've accepted that fact. Gutting as it is
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #413: Apr 26, 2017 01:28:45 pm
      I personally think we won't make top 4. I've accepted that fact. Gutting as it is

I know we blow hot and cold but Uniteds fixture list is horrendous.

They are away at City tomorrow. They will drop points. I expect City to beat them but hopefully they will deploy the same tactics they did at Anfield and it finishes a draw. United won't win though.

They then have Swansea at home. You would expect them to win, but Swansea are fighting for their lives. They turned up and beat us so if they can do that then they can beat United. Its not a given.

Then they have Celta Vigo away, Arsenal away, Celta Vigo home and then Spurs away in the space of ten days. That's when they will really drop off. They aren't getting 6 points there.

Their last two games are away at Southampton and then at home to Palace. Again, none are easy!

Arsenal have stoke away, spurs away, Southampton away. They aren't getting 9 points there.

To summarise, if we win our remaining games then top four is a given. I think 3 wins will be enough though. And I fully expect us to go to both west ham and Watford and take maximum points and then beat boro at home too.  Southampton at home we can afford a draw presuming we get the other points.

Quick Reply