Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre Match - Liverpool v Burnley KO 4pm Sunday 12th March

Read 13965 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Pre Match - Liverpool v Burnley KO 4pm Sunday 12th March
      Reply #23: Mar 09, 2017 04:28:13 pm
      Why Mags?

From my point of view, it doesn't make sense to change the formation(s) that the lads have got used to playing, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Because I have a feeling Burnley will sit back again, meaning we can go 442 with our wide men really pushed up, almost a 424 to be honest.

Now if it's not been done in training then I wouldn't recommend it, but if we have been looking at it like I believe we should have then I think it should be tried because we've seen 433 fail over and over against two banks of 4. If we have our own bank of 4 up front, with either:

a) Really wide wingers which will draw them out leaving more space in the centre for 2 strikers, not the 1 we would have with 433. We seen too much isolation with our striker this year because of this, adding a second would help out a lot.

b) Play everyone super narrow, leaving ample space for Clyne and Milner (or dare I say I wouldn't mind seeing Moreno) get the overlap and drill low crosses in to a box which should have 4 attackers waiting. If we had 2 always rushing to the near post, one back post and the other ready in front of the keeper for rebounds... that sounds like it would work.

We could try either or both of these but I really think we have to change something against these teams that have 2 busses parked in front of us and we don't have enough men up front to shift them.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: Mar 09, 2017 04:35:45 pm
      Because I have a feeling Burnley will sit back again, meaning we can go 442 with our wide men really pushed up, almost a 424 to be honest.

Now if it's not been done in training then I wouldn't recommend it, but if we have been looking at it like I believe we should have then I think it should be tried because we've seen 433 fail over and over against two banks of 4. If we have our own bank of 4 up front, with either:

a) Really wide wingers which will draw them out leaving more space in the centre for 2 strikers, not the 1 we would have with 433. We seen too much isolation with our striker this year because of this, adding a second would help out a lot.

b) Play everyone super narrow, leaving ample space for Clyne and Milner (or dare I say I wouldn't mind seeing Moreno) get the overlap and drill low crosses in to a box which should have 4 attackers waiting. If we had 2 always rushing to the near post, one back post and the other ready in front of the keeper for rebounds... that sounds like it would work.

We could try either or both of these but I really think we have to change something against these teams that have 2 busses parked in front of us and we don't have enough men up front to shift them.

That sounds like a decent plan.
      Thanks for clarifying :)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #25: Mar 09, 2017 04:42:17 pm
      Halfy-half scarves available in town if anyone is a sado.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #26: Mar 09, 2017 04:51:55 pm
      That sounds like a decent plan.
      Thanks for clarifying :)

No worries mate, I'd just like to see a change
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #27: Mar 09, 2017 05:05:40 pm
      No worries mate, I'd just like to see a change

As would I.
      It depends on whether they've worked on it in training though, as you rightly say.

I'd really like Origi to show some physicality, and a 442 as you describe could be the perfect opportunity.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #28: Mar 09, 2017 07:51:19 pm
      As would I.
      It depends on whether they've worked on it in training though, as you rightly say.

I'd really like Origi to show some physicality, and a 442 as you describe could be the perfect opportunity.

Do you like the Moreno idea as well? I know Milner has struggled in a couple of matches against bunkering teams, but I can't recall some brilliance from the flank displayed by Alby. Other than pace, which won't matter so much against a team that sits back, not sure what he really brings to the table. OK, he's a natural lefty so can deliver a cross fro a bit wider area, but what difference does it make if the cross is mediocre anyway?

And that's not even mentioning  the possibility that he would be called upon at some point to defend, which, is about a 50/50 proposition.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29: Mar 09, 2017 07:57:29 pm
      Do you like the Moreno idea as well? I know Milner has struggled in a couple of matches against bunkering teams, but I can't recall some brilliance from the flank displayed by Alby. Other than pace, which won't matter so much against a team that sits back, not sure what he really brings to the table. OK, he's a natural lefty so can deliver a cross fro a bit wider area, but what difference does it make if the cross is mediocre anyway?

And that's not even mentioning  the possibility that he would be called upon at some point to defend, which, is about a 50/50 proposition.

I think Moreno is a good footballer.
      A crap defender, but a good footballer.
      He has the advantage over Milner in that he can cross with his left, first time, every time, plus he's very, very quick and I don't see them attacking in numbers.
      He's not a bad crosser of the ball either; he gets it into the right areas at least as often as Milner does.

There's not many matches where I'd advocate Moreno starting (unless as a winger, but that's a different conversation) but against teams like Burnley, I think he can do a job for us, especially in a 442.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #30: Mar 09, 2017 09:31:38 pm
      As would I.

He seems to do better when he's using his size compared to speed. I fear he has it in his head that he's going to be a get in behind the back 4 type of striker but I see him much more of a Lukaku style target man who can use his strength and then his pace (in that order) to get goals.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31: Mar 09, 2017 09:36:39 pm
      He seems to do better when he's using his size compared to speed. I fear he has it in his head that he's going to be a get in behind the back 4 type of striker but I see him much more of a Lukaku style target man who can use his strength and then his pace (in that order) to get goals.

I think he has the attributes to be both, but I worry he has a touch of the Heskey about him, and is a bit of a "gentle giant" type.

He still has a lot to learn though, and if anyone can get the best out of him, it's Klopp.
      I suppose a lot depends on how Klopp see's him.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #32: Mar 09, 2017 10:55:33 pm

We need to make the pitch/game as wide as possible to stretch said low block teams.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #33: Mar 09, 2017 11:18:34 pm
      Feeling a bit more confident after the Arse game, so changed my prediction to 2:0
      Sure we'll score goals but going for a clean sheet as well.
      Shame we gotta wait until Sunday for this. Think the long wait between games sometimes fucks with our momentum. Sure the lads have learnt their lesson by now though. They'll be right up for this.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #34: Mar 10, 2017 07:27:00 am
      I think he has the attributes to be both, but I worry he has a touch of the Heskey about him, and is a bit of a "gentle giant" type.

He still has a lot to learn though, and if anyone can get the best out of him, it's Klopp.
      I suppose a lot depends on how Klopp see's him.

I've said a few times he reminds me of a young Heskey when he was at Leicester, so much potential.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #35: Mar 10, 2017 07:28:50 am
      We need to make the pitch/game as wide as possible to stretch said low block teams.

Agreed, Mane on the right and I would almost be tempted to play Moreno at left mid. Think Phil and Firmino cut in too much and don't have the discipline to stay out wide
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Mar 10, 2017 08:02:50 am
      I think we should leave the worrying to Burnley,they will not be capable of doing the double on us.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #37: Mar 10, 2017 10:07:24 am
      Jürgen needs to change things for this game. If we go with the usual 4-3-3 then we are going to struggle. Burnley will put numbers behind the ball and won't have any possession, there will be nothing for us to press and no space. I really, really, really hope Jürgen has learnt from the past 2 or 3 months and we don't go with the same old tactics and get beat by the same old sh*te!

Personally I'd be tempted to go with 3 at the back, 5 across the middle and two up top. I'd bring Moreno in and use his natural width and pace. My team would be:

Mignolet

Lovren/Gomez      Matip         Klavan

Clyne                      Wijnaldum                    Moreno

Lallana                    Coutinho

Firmino     Mane

I know people will say the midfield is too weak but we will have 70+ % possession in this game, so I don't think its necessary that we have Can in there. We need people with quick, tidy feet. Players who can move the ball quickly. Players who have an eye for a pass, who can make something out of nothing.  Get 2 or 3 goals and then make changes if you must.

COME ON RED MEN.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #38: Mar 10, 2017 11:38:39 am
      I've said a few times he reminds me of a young Heskey when he was at Leicester, so much potential.

Exactly my thoughts  :laugh:

Now if he plays like a pissed off Heskey, instead of a laid back Heskey, we'd have a proper player.

Apart from Suarez, it's a long time since we had a striker with a bit of spite about him, and I think we need that up front.
      In fact, I think we need a bit more of it all over the pitch.
      Lovren has a bit of it, Lallana as well, but we need a bit more imo.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #39: Mar 10, 2017 12:49:35 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #40: Mar 10, 2017 12:50:52 pm
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #41: Mar 10, 2017 01:03:49 pm
      Not just saying this but, Origi is looking sharp again and might even be more suited to barrel through the Burnley rearguard

Liverpool 16 v 0 Burnley

Ok that's totally unrealistic

Liverpool 16 v 1 Burnley

No way we are going to keep a clean sheet
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #42: Mar 10, 2017 01:36:09 pm
      Don't have that much faith  in Origi to score...which hopefully means he makes me look like an ass and has a hat trick.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #43: Mar 10, 2017 02:17:49 pm

I'd go 3 4 3.

Mignolet

Can Matip Klavan

Milner Gini Lallana Moreno

Phil Firmino

Mane

With Matip freedom to step into midfield when necessary.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #44: Mar 10, 2017 02:53:49 pm
      Sounds like Bobby is out Sunday, so Divock should get his chance.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,095 posts | 1635 
      Reply #45: Mar 10, 2017 06:38:47 pm
      I'd go 3 4 3.

Mignolet

Can Matip Klavan

Milner Gini Lallana Moreno

Phil Firmino

Mane

With Matip freedom to step into midfield when necessary.

Good point about Matip he has to join the Midfield more when bus is parked to create an extra man if nothing else

Quick Reply