Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Joe Fagan

Read 3009 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,921 posts | 4985 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Joe Fagan
      Mar 12, 2017 08:56:14 am
      Today would have been Joe's 96th birthday,for those who don't remember Joe he's the man who cleaned out a space at Anfield, a room that was used as a meeting room in which Shanks, Paisley etc discussed tactics with coaches etc, and became the famous ' Boot Room'

He was one of the best coaches of his generation and in fact Bobby Robson said he WAS the best,  such a unassuming man Joe lived close to Anfield and would be seen regularly ' walking to work '

Oh and,  he was the first English manager to win the treble, league, European cup and league cup in 1983/84 season,  his first as Liverpool manager.

RIP Joe

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Joe Fagan
      Reply #1: Mar 12, 2017 09:43:47 am
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #2: Mar 12, 2017 09:44:20 am
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,921 posts | 4985 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3: Mar 12, 2017 09:50:52 am

Great tribute mate, enjoyed that, Joe was so down to earth wasn't he, like Bob didn't like being in the limelight, just got on with things, true Legend, like Bill & Bob before him.

YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Mar 12, 2017 11:17:02 am
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Mar 12, 2017 11:30:44 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #6: Mar 12, 2017 11:38:53 am
      Today would have been Joe's 96th birthday,for those who don't remember Joe he's the man who cleaned out a space at Anfield, a room that was used as a meeting room in which Shanks, Paisley etc discussed tactics with coaches etc, and became the famous ' Boot Room'

He was one of the best coaches of his generation and in fact Bobby Robson said he WAS the best,  such a unassuming man Joe lived close to Anfield and would be seen regularly ' walking to work '

Oh and,  he was the first English manager to win the treble, league, European cup and league cup in 1983/84 season,  his first as Liverpool manager.

RIP Joe

YNWA

RIP Sir Joe
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #7: Mar 12, 2017 11:50:20 am

I've seen this 'photo many time, but not this size & quality. It really is a one off.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3399 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #8: Mar 12, 2017 11:54:18 am
      A great tribute to a great man
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Mar 12, 2017 06:39:05 pm
      What a man what a manager and so humble as well,Bill Bob and Joe what a trio.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #10: Mar 12, 2017 07:04:49 pm
      Liverpool manager for my first ever game at Anfield.

I can't remember whether he was already leaving before Heysel happened but it was such a shame that a Liverpool great had that as his final game in charge.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Mar 12, 2017 09:25:39 pm
      Joe has his rightful place on the wall. Liverpool legend!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #12: Mar 12, 2017 09:31:24 pm
      Fantastic manager and a gent.
      We'll not see his like again...
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #13: Mar 13, 2017 08:05:17 am
      Liverpool manager for my first ever game at Anfield.

I can't remember whether he was already leaving before Heysel happened but it was such a shame that a Liverpool great had that as his final game in charge.

Yes mate he had already decided to call it a day before the final, but I agree, what a horrible end to the mans career, humble, funny and incredibly intelligent when it came to football, him, Shankly, Paisley, Bennett and Evans, the very backbone of this club and built the legacy that 'should' be the core of how we still do business.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2017 01:55:57 pm
      Same here on the manager for my first ever game. What a man and what a manager.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #15: Mar 14, 2017 02:05:28 pm
      Just goes to prove that if we want dominance again, another "boot room" philosophy, mentality, infrastructure, however you want to label it, is needed. Likeminded football men with the same vision and passion, creating a legacy with unity in mind. Managers job passes through the boot room "students" so no need to employ outsiders with different views. It was successful for two decades, but the club moved away from it. Is it coincidence that the fall from grace has been enormous?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Mar 14, 2017 08:36:56 pm
      Just goes to prove that if we want dominance again, another "boot room" philosophy, mentality, infrastructure, however you want to label it, is needed. Likeminded football men with the same vision and passion, creating a legacy with unity in mind. Managers job passes through the boot room "students" so no need to employ outsiders with different views. It was successful for two decades, but the club moved away from it. Is it coincidence that the fall from grace has been enormous?

I might add that the chairman/president of the board John Smith handed control over to Moores.That in my opinion  was the start of the decline.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #17: Mar 14, 2017 09:02:56 pm
      Such is the way football has gone I doubt we will see the likes of the three again Bill Bob and Joe an amazing trio who we were truly blessed to have truly a magical time in our history , seeing their faces just fills you with pride .

Quick Reply