Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      9 (8.3%)
      Joel Matip
      25 (22.9%)
      Emre Can
      21 (19.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      34 (31.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (9.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (5.5%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Mar 16, 2017 05:57:08 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27346 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Mar 12, 2017 07:52:16 pm
      I am not a Can doubter but i feel that he has to improve and get more consistency in his game

I am, and although he scored today, and I'm thankful for it, I still think he's below the level we should be aiming for. He doesn't look like he's improved much since his arrival, and not sure he will.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #507: Mar 12, 2017 07:56:34 pm
      Burnley continue with 2 points away from home all season. Even playing poorly we beat them. No reason to be scared. Onto the Champions League spots, I wanna watch European footy next season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #508: Mar 12, 2017 07:58:36 pm

Twas close that Luke ....  twas very close.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #509: Mar 12, 2017 07:58:42 pm
      What is up with Couts? Just not on his game at the mo...
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 662 posts | 85 
      Reply #510: Mar 12, 2017 08:17:18 pm
      What is up with Couts? Just not on his game at the mo...
      Barca calling.....Maybe?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #511: Mar 12, 2017 08:17:53 pm
      We were absolutely abysmal today.

But as the saying goes good teams find a way to win even when not playing well.
      We have usually lost previously when playing sh*te so good to see us grind out a win.

I thought Coutinho was single handily the worst player on the pitch, no great surprise as he has been like this all his LFC career will have a few good games score a couple of worldies and we all go on about what a World Class talent he is then disappear for a run of games.

Klavan was pretty woeful in that first half and is clearly finding this league to physical the way he is so easily bullied for a CB. Not his fault I suppose he has played so many games as he was bought as a 4th choice.

What has happened to Clyne defensively his defensive game has gone to pot - clearly at fault for the first goal.

Hopefully that goal by Can will put on another £5M on his transfer, was terrible in the first half although he did improve in the second half and scored the winning goal. We need better.

We seem to have a load of highly technical little midfielders and attacking mids who just can't hack the physical side of the game. It's been the same issues we have seen for so long.

Unless Klopp instructed Migs then I can't understand the tactic of hoofing the ball so frequently, the ball seemed to spend for ever in the air and our lightweights were never going to win any of the second balls. We played into Burnleys hand big time.
      Maybe I'm being a bit harsh because there was not much movement and showing for the ball in midfield.

Great to see Woodburn get a run out and he certainly didn't look out of place. One in the eye for those who complain Klopp doesn't make changes quick enough.

3 pts in the bag obviously more important than the performance.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #512: Mar 12, 2017 08:24:15 pm
      Felt for origi and mane today, service was atrocious and they were chasing lost causes, got caught up in playing like burnley which was 80's throwback football
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #513: Mar 12, 2017 08:27:31 pm
      Once again, opposition one shot on target and one goal. Klopp clearly said to the press we have good goalkeepers already and won't be getting Joe Hart. People are going to come on here with some crap about how it was hard to save. I watched it numerous times and each time I thought, a decent goalkeeper would have been faster since it I not rocket Science where it is going to go. I know what Mignolets problem is now... he completely flaps one on one. If he stayed calm, the strikers angle was kind of already decided for him. Next game against Man City at the Ethied... Mignolet has to pick it up. Is there anyway we can have a 2nd poll for the opposite of man of the match. I don't mean woman of the match, I mean the player who was worst. I would like to finally be able to vote Mignolet for something.

Somewhere a village is missing an idiot
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #514: Mar 12, 2017 08:28:54 pm

More likely Espanyol on current form, :)
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #515: Mar 12, 2017 08:30:52 pm
      I am, and although he scored today, and I'm thankful for it, I still think he's below the level we should be aiming for. He doesn't look like he's improved much since his arrival, and not sure he will.
      There was a game last season when he came back from injury against Arsenal where he was immense, shows us what he could be like
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #516: Mar 12, 2017 08:38:52 pm
      Well, we won that by the skin of our teeth! I didn't get to see the whole game, unfortunately, but from what I did see there is a lack of comprehension in our approach right now - I think Emre Can might have even been surprised that he shot went in!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #517: Mar 12, 2017 08:42:58 pm

You shouldn't be Mick, Bobby was not playing ;D

Don't think that would stop one or two voting for him mate  :f_whistle:.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #518: Mar 12, 2017 08:43:28 pm
      Regardless of the performance, we got the result. Ground out a victory. Well done to the lads. Sometimes you have to win ugly and we've not been able to do that. It'll come as a big relief no doubt.

Onwards and upwards!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,912 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #519: Mar 12, 2017 08:45:25 pm
      What baffles me is the fact that the manager states he has the money to sort the shiteness out but refuses to do so, there must be a grain of truth in there somewhere 'cos JWH&Co inform us of the very same thing. One or two contributors on this very forum also make the same assertion!?!

Sorry to say 1 and 1 make 3 after another underwhelming performance that says there is a factor not on display, you could say being concealed which would explain the inability/unwillingness to sort the wafer-thin squad out.

Better stop right there before one or two contributors on this very forum start blinding me with finance, economics and business protocol that dictate we watch sh*te week in week out. 

It is what it is Stuey and no amount of economics or business protocol changes the fact that our current incumbents are no where near the quality we so desperately need,
      It's blatantly obvious that the lack of quality is down purely to the fact that FSG have failed to acquire said quality for the last 5yrs at the very least,

Having said that tho those players today who in all honesty scraped past a side we should be brushing aside with ease, we're pathetic,

Looking at our bench today is further evidence if needed that LFC are woefully short of quality individuals that would perhaps allow Klopp to change the way we play, the simple fact is he doesn't have the quality or the numbers to make that happen, hence no plan 'b', and that simply put isn't good enough for the aspirations or the ambition of this club, and that is down to lack of investment in staff, and guess who's to blame for that,

The number crunchers can say what the F**k they want but the plain truth is we're short on numbers and short on quality,

I've heard 6-8 players could arrive in the summer but even then we'll be short because of the players we have now I'd say only 6or7 are stayers, the rest have question marks after their names,

I've said before Klopp has a bigger job on than he first realised but even since then he knows that the rebuild will take much longer than he envisaged, today's performance alongside that against Leicester, Hull, Bournemouth, Swansea etc,  Well it's not f***in rocket science is it,
      There's no,

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIQUE happening at Anfield anytime soon either.

YNWA
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #520: Mar 12, 2017 08:52:43 pm

It is what it is Stuey and no amount of economics or business protocol changes the fact that our current incumbents are no where near the quality we so desperately need,
      It's blatantly obvious that the lack of quality is down purely to the fact that FSG have failed to acquire said quality for the last 5yrs at the very least,

Having said that tho those players today who in all honesty scraped past a side we should be brushing aside with ease, we're pathetic,

Looking at our bench today is further evidence if needed that LFC are woefully short of quality individuals that would perhaps allow Klopp to change the way we play, the simple fact is he doesn't have the quality or the numbers to make that happen, hence no plan 'b', and that simply put isn't good enough for the aspirations or the ambition of this club, and that is down to lack of investment in staff, and guess who's to blame for that,

The number crunchers can say what the f**k they want but the plain truth is we're short on numbers and short on quality,

I've heard 6-8 players could arrive in the summer but even then we'll be short because of the players we have now I'd say only 6or7 are stayers, the rest have question marks after their names,

I've said before Klopp has a bigger job on than he first realised but even since then he knows that the rebuild will take much longer than he envisaged, today's performance alongside that against Leicester, Hull, Bournemouth, Swansea etc,  Well it's not f***in rocket science is it,
      There's no,

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIQUE happening at Anfield anytime soon either.

YNWA

Unfortunately, for some the truth is too painful to bare. Though we won, which is always good, the lack of depth on the bench was immediately obvious for all to see. Our top 4 rivals destroy us in this area. On our day, our 1st 11 is as good as anyone in the league. Couple of injuries though and we're really struggling. No matter how much Klopp spends in the summer, it'll not be enough to add sufficient quality and depth...

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #521: Mar 12, 2017 08:54:07 pm
      Though we won, which is always good, the lack of depth on the bench was immediately obvious for all to see. Our top 4 rivals destroy us in this area.

It was appalling.  We've got better players out on loan.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #522: Mar 12, 2017 08:54:12 pm
      Felt for origi and mane today, service was atrocious and they were chasing lost causes, got caught up in playing like burnley which was 80's throwback football

Absolutely. Today's football by us was more like Allardyce Stoke/Bolton days. Embarrassing stuff.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #523: Mar 12, 2017 08:55:25 pm
      Don't think that would stop one or two voting for him mate  :f_whistle:.

To be honest, on the basis of today's performance, all of the non playing subs would have been in with a chance if they had done some keepy-ups on the touchline.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #524: Mar 12, 2017 08:58:36 pm
      Absolutely. Today's football by us was more like Allardyce Stoke/Bolton days. Embarrassing stuff.

We allowed them to drag us down their level.
      Not helped by Migs continually hoofing the ball up to their big CB's.

They didn't even park the bus but effectively pressed us high up the pitch and our inability to play out from the back is frankly concerning if the likes of Lallana and Gini can't be found by our defenders.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #525: Mar 12, 2017 09:03:38 pm

On a separate point I'd be a big fan of us keeping Matip/Klaven together for the rest of the season.

Starting to wonder if that may be the only remaining option in selection.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #526: Mar 12, 2017 09:14:28 pm

If he keeps playing like today they'll be sure to hang up the phone.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #527: Mar 12, 2017 09:20:24 pm
      To be honest, on the basis of today's performance, all of the non playing subs would have been in with a chance if they had done some keepy-ups on the touchline.

You are one funny f**ker, Boss.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #528: Mar 12, 2017 09:25:50 pm
      We allowed them to drag us down their level.
      Not helped by Migs continually hoofing the ball up to their big CB's.

They didn't even park the bus but effectively pressed us high up the pitch and our inability to play out from the back is frankly concerning if the likes of Lallana and Gini can't be found by our defenders.

You are absolutely right, but they didn't press intensely, and neither did they do it for 90 mins, right? Our possession play (or lack or it) was absolutely embarrassing.

I personally wouldn't blame Migs as much, but he doesn't help, nor do I blame the CB's when they didn't have support from the midfield. The Holding role, the hub of the team was mostly to blame, and that's where it stems from imo. But I do also agree, Lallana and Wijnaldum were frustrating in their possession play.

Quick Reply