Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      9 (8.3%)
      Joel Matip
      25 (22.9%)
      Emre Can
      21 (19.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      34 (31.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (9.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (5.5%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Mar 16, 2017 05:57:08 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27338 times
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Mar 12, 2017 09:28:47 pm
      Just wondering what the reaction would have been on here,if we had played brilliant today ,and lost,with nil points ?
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #530: Mar 12, 2017 09:30:02 pm
      Think it was more of a cringing than being annoyed for todays tactics..
      Can kept swopping places with Klavan,
      Coutinho got the ball, then gave it away,
      Lallana did the same, as did Milner
      Matip kept hoofing it up field,
      and that was all in the first 10 minutes..

But we won. :scarf:
      We won, with two class finishes that lit up what was(for me, and I'm sure a lot of us) a difficult and unnerving performance to watch

Would I take another 10 performances like that and win every time so to guarantee top 4?....Yes, or course.
      What worries me would be us taking those kind of performances as Liverpool Football club and competing against Europe's elite.

As MarkM and JD mentioned, our lack of depth and quality on the bench today was worrying.
      With Henderson still on crutches,Firmino out and only god knows about Sturridge, we're running low on ammunition at the mo.
      Saying that, two great goals from midfield today.

Teams around us are starting to have the odd game in hand over us I know but I'd rather have the points on the board and let them worry..

A week to get a grip then off to Man City.... :)

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #531: Mar 12, 2017 09:32:30 pm
      The performance didn't matter today, Grinding out results is the sign of a team that can win things.(Not this season obviously 😀)
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #532: Mar 12, 2017 09:49:16 pm
      Dont give a flying f@ck if this Liverpool team are regarded by some as the worst team to finish in the top four ,since 2003/2004 ,there have been plenty great Liverpool teams since then and NOT finished in the top four .
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #533: Mar 12, 2017 09:58:59 pm
      The overriding thought in my head, after watching that, is we need four or five more players for our first team squad and that's additions on top of replacing players going out. We've got a starting XI that can beat anyone, we have a bench that creaks and looks weak with only a couple of injuries. Be interesting to see who people want in and full backs would be my priority, though I wouldn't moan if we nabbed Ziyech.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #534: Mar 12, 2017 10:11:04 pm
      Every game we win my over riding thought  we are so far behind Chelsea

We should be so much closer

I am piss

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #535: Mar 12, 2017 10:11:49 pm
      Ratings:

Mignolet: Conceded to the only shot on target so didn't have a save to make in the match other than that really. Thought his distribution was painfully slow and wayward but on the positive side he did punch twice very impressively. Second time i was more impressed as he'd took a knock on the first one and to come out again so soon showed a touch more bravery than I've seen in Migs in the past. 6/10

Milner: Got his positioning completely wrong against Gray, so much so that they were basically just getting the ball and feeding it inside Milner every single time for the first 10 or 15 minutes and we weren't coping with it at all. Goes far too early when we don't have controlled possession and the gamble clearly isn't worth it because when he does get ahead of the game he has to check back on to the right foot nearly every time. Crossing was poor and his set pieces were poor, think he managed 1 decent cross all game. Lost his man so badly on one of the set pieces that he had 5 yards of clear space on the back stick to nod it back across with, thankfully Klavan bailed him out of that one 4.5/10

Klavan: Started shakily but to be fair to him he had no support on the outside and was also let down by Can who also started the game slowly. Warmed to his task though and did one tremendous block when it fell to one of their lads after Milner's error. I thought it was a steady enough performance that got much better after the first 15 minutes. 6.5/10

Matip: Fantastic display, aerially dominant and bailed Clyne out time and time again. He must have felt alone on the right hand side of our defence as the fella beside him had a joke of a game. Without this lad putting in a performance like he did we could have been really punished. Give him some better players around him who he can have some confidence in and I think he's right up there with the best CBs in the league. 8/10 Easily MotM

Clyne: One of the worst full-back performances you'll see. He was so bad you'd almost be forgiven for not noticing and what I mean by that is that he did nothing of what he is expected to do but was so far away from doing it that you'd almost look around and think it's someone else's role in the side. Every player that got it on our left had a free cross into the box, everyone that ran Clyne was not watching our offside traps and was playing them on. He'd go narrow when the lad went straight and giving him free run and then when it comes to heading the ball he doesn't even compete. That's all before we even get on to his diabolical display in attack. Doesn't have a clue how to cross a ball, when he gets the right, which are so few and far between I'm confident it's pure luck. He just hits them in there and if there's someone close to it then that's a bonus but it's going in there regardless of what shape we look like. He struggles with simple 5-10 yard passes and we were so often dispossessed when he got involved that it infuriated me again. 3/10 TAA to start as soon as possible.

Can: Woeful first 20-30 minutes, gave the ball away all over the place and really did seem to struggle to get to the pace of the game. He's done this previously though and once he has warmed up that old engine of his (23 years old :D ) it seems to tick along nicely and even show real glimpses of promise. One of the cross-field passes he hit to Clyne even Stevie G would have been proud of, of course Clyne took it down and from being in 10 yards of space managed to lose the ball within 2 touches. His goal was sublime, right in the corner and if he can continue to strike them with that kind of accuracy then he can become a real threat on the edge of the box. 6.5/10

Wijnaldum: Don't think he helped Can enough but did well for his goal, very composed just when we needed it. Another goal at home but a crucial one without doubt. Nice to see him chipping in because I thought our attack was going to need some help and he provided it. Mustn't forget his defensive responsibilities though, even though it was only Burnley he should have noticed we were getting bullied too much early and adjusted to suit. As it was he sat too far up and allowed that to continue for too long. 6/10

Lallana: A couple of nice turns and some decent passing but I thought this was a big drop off from the Arsenal game. Don't think he was helped by such poor play around him and it was clear with Origi and Coutinho playing so poorly that our fluidity just wasn't there today. So much of that can't be levelled at Adam who tried to instigate the moves but when you only get to give and don't receive it back then you're not going to shine. 6.5/10

Coutinho: Shocking display, didn't look interested at all in the game. He was receiving the ball half asleep which is totally against his style, almost always he'll take a touch into space but instead he was either waiting for the ball to come to him and getting it robbed instantly or just meandering nowhere and again getting dispossessed. Worst display I've seen from him in a long, long time. 4/10

Mane: Our only real threat and ball carrier in the first 30 minutes, tried to do everything himself and I don't think the ref gave him a fair rub of the green. They were hacking at him a lot during that period and for the first time I saw him back out and try to toe poke at balls for almost fear of getting hurt. Usually he'll take the tackle and commit his body, but after the way the ref had let a few go I could understand it. Drifted out of the game a bit in the second half, even still he was more of a threat than Origi or Coutinho but by his standards not what we expect. 6/10

Origi: I know he got an assist and produced the best cross in doing so but beyond that he was pretty hopeless on the day. His movement wasn't there, ball carrying and retention seemed alien to him and honestly he looked a bit of a fish out of water. Not a good game for Divock 4.5/10

Woodburn: Thought he did well with the time he had, you can certainly see the talent is there and I'm enjoying watching him progress. Much more effective than Coutinho in the time he played, well done Ben.

Jürgen: Think we set up to purposely play longer balls and utilise Origi. Matip nearly got him in a couple of times but Divock wasn't aggressive enough and got frustrated with himself. Needs to learn to impose himself earlier and then he wont frustrate himself and us. As it was the tactic seemed like it would work if we had a more imposing centre forward because Burnley left the gaps they just weren't exploited or capitalised enough. At the back I think Jürgen has real work to do this Summer and while I know he's a loyal fella I hope TAA's progress is giving him enough reason to make a clear, required change. 6.5/10

Overall 3 points and that's job done but we must be better going forward.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #536: Mar 12, 2017 10:17:19 pm
      The best way to describe our game today was like a boxer with his left arm tied behind his back.

Playing Origi down the middle with Coutinho to the left was damaging. Coutinho hasn't got the drive or determination to dominate play down the left and Milner hasn't got the legs for it. But that was where we needed to exploit Burnley.

Getting the goal - from the left - right before half time destroyed Burnley.

Second half was a formality.

A HUGE three points. Perfect timing for the City game and then the Derby at home. Is right.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #537: Mar 12, 2017 10:42:49 pm
      Worst performance in victory I can remember.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #538: Mar 12, 2017 11:13:27 pm
      For the life of me i can not get excited about this"win"... It was not a great performance, not by a long shot, i was less than decisive... For long periods of the game we came under immense pressure from Burnley, who could have won the game if not for a lack of better finishing... If we take this sort of game to City, or Everton we will be lucky to come away with any points...

What really concerns me with this game is that it felt like the Leicester City game, in that we seemed slow out of the blocks and there was a lack of fight in the team, besides the defense that is... It is almost if the player are thinking " You know what, It's Burnley, we will do these easy.I don't need to put in a shift I'll play at 80%, someone else will pick up the slack"... But instead of one player thinking it five or six of them do, and we end up where we are.... Struggling against lower table opposition...

We should be treating every game on this run in as if it was the Cup Final... The is no real Spirit or killer instinct in this team.
      No Real desire to win
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #539: Mar 12, 2017 11:18:31 pm
      Dont give a flying f@ck if this Liverpool team are regarded by some as the worst team to finish in the top four ,since 2003/2004 ,there have been plenty great Liverpool teams since then and NOT finished in the top four .
      What worries me with this team and the way it preforms is that should we get the 4th spot and make CL Qualifying is that we could go out at the first or second hurdle... :o
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #540: Mar 12, 2017 11:21:04 pm
      Worst performance in victory I can remember.

Something we need to learn to do more often.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #541: Mar 12, 2017 11:36:02 pm
      Playing Origi down the middle with Coutinho to the left was damaging. Coutinho hasn't got the drive or determination to dominate play down the left and Milner hasn't got the legs for it. But that was where we needed to exploit Burnley.

Saw one of those passing stat graphs and they hammered us down our left wing. Whether because they're stronger there or we're weaker I dont know.

I think Milners had enough of the little left back experiment personally.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #542: Mar 12, 2017 11:39:35 pm
      sh*t performance by most of the team, but we got the vital 3 points, that is all.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #543: Mar 12, 2017 11:44:58 pm
      Quote from billythered
      Having said that tho those players today who in all honesty scraped past a side we should be brushing aside with ease, we're pathetic

Today's performance alongside that against Leicester, Hull, Bournemouth, Swansea etc

Name a team that brushes aside Burnley at home? You won't find very many.

City? Won 2-1. Coach loses his rag.
      Arsenal? Won 2-1. Coach sent off.
      mancs? Didn't win at all. 37 shots, none went in the net. Coach sent off iirc.
      Swansea? Won 3-2. In injury time.
      Chelsea? Scraped a point at Burnley.

I don't care about the performance. We just had to win the game, whatever it took. And if you offered me 2-1 after half an hour, I would have gladly taken it. No it wasn't pretty to watch, it never is against Burnley. They kick and they hack and they foul and they disrupt and they timewaste, and they park the bus, it's awful stuff to watch. But we won, those around us in the table didn't get the favour they wanted, and in some cases needed.

Job done, move on to face City in a proper football game next week.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #544: Mar 12, 2017 11:47:13 pm
      I think Milners had enough of the little left back experiment personally.

I think Milner at left back is the kind of thing that maybe works when you need to fill the hole in a squad when you're waiting on a player to come back. Converting a player there for the season takes it's toll eventually.
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017 12:15:11 am by racerx34 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #545: Mar 12, 2017 11:55:02 pm
      I think Milner at left back is the kind of thing that maybe works when you need the hole in a squad when you're waiting on a player to come back. Converting a player there for the season takes it's toll eventually

True words.

He seems to have worse games when Henderson is out as well. Maybe he's thinking 'why am I not playing in CM?'.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #546: Mar 12, 2017 11:57:59 pm
      True words.

He seems to have worse games when Henderson is out as well. Maybe he's thinking 'why am I not playing in CM?'.

Never thought about Milner in midfield since he was moved as LB, totally forgot he was a natural midfielder! He could probably do a better job than Can in the DM role tbh.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #547: Mar 13, 2017 12:18:39 am
      True words.

Good point.
      This is why squads need to turnover a lot of the time.

Klopp buys time telling Milner he'll play more than he realises in midfield from that role.
      Eventually the realities of tracking back to cover at LB hits after a few bad games.

He's been one of the better players this season, don't get me wrong, but you do have to wonder if he doesn't look and Can and Gini, while Henderson is out, and realise it's never going to happen for him. Surely he'd be looking to move on soon rather than later if he wants a midfield role.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #548: Mar 13, 2017 12:21:37 am
      Thought Mignolet had a good game again.

Also, Origi had a better game than Firmino usually has. He seemed to run plenty, and he got 2 assists..  :f_tongueincheek:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #549: Mar 13, 2017 01:30:20 am
      Winning ugly.

I'll take that first back to back wins in 2017 hoping to build some momentum now.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #550: Mar 13, 2017 02:18:45 am
      Winning ugly.

I'll take that first back to back wins in 2017 hoping to build some momentum now.

Winning ugly, winning by 1 goal or 7, its still 3 points. And quite right, if we build momentum here, who cares how we win? as long as we do!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #551: Mar 13, 2017 03:56:22 am
      Some south west Cornish pasty Liverpool fan on 606 right now asserting that Rodgers is better than Klopp.

Must be one of Steve Coogan's characters.

Heard that beaut as we were just getting off in the car, spouted some aboslute sh*te, was literally buzzing off him when he started banging on about us finishing 6th or 7th, could almost hear Kelly's heckles rise when she cut over him at one point!

As for the game, gruesome first-half, nice little finish bang on half-time by Gini to ease the gloom, lot better performance second half and cracking finish by Can for the winner. Definitely one to log under winning ugly!

Quick Reply