Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      9 (8.3%)
      Joel Matip
      25 (22.9%)
      Emre Can
      21 (19.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      34 (31.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (9.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (5.5%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Mar 16, 2017 05:57:08 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27347 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Mar 13, 2017 07:02:16 am
      I'm so grateful we won against mighty Burnley.

But how they made us look so lethargic and ordinary in the process was a concern.

3 pts though, can't really complain.

P.S. When you bring on the likes of Woodburn and Lucas as substitutes you know your manager's let you down there.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #553: Mar 13, 2017 07:10:59 am
      I'm so grateful we won against mighty Burnley.

But how they made us look so lethargic and ordinary in the process was a concern.

3 pts though, can't really complain.

P.S. When you bring on the likes of Woodburn and Lucas as substitutes you know your manager's let you down there.

This was the "acid test" wasn't it? We passed with 3 points.
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017 08:24:54 am by JD, Reason: Insult unnecessary »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #554: Mar 13, 2017 07:14:03 am
      This was the "acid test" wasn't it? We passed with 3 points.

I shouldn't bother, but for the fair weather in you I will:

It was an acid test. We are renowned for pretty much losing these games as we did the reverse fixture earlier on in the season. The Arsenal result was finally consolidated, unlike the Spurs/Leicester one. You know this, your not that thick and ignorant, then again...

But, we came through it, just. And like I said, I'm grateful for that.
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017 08:25:14 am by JD »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #555: Mar 13, 2017 07:25:48 am
      True words.

He seems to have worse games when Henderson is out as well. Maybe he's thinking 'why am I not playing in CM?'.

Because he is not a CM never has always played as a winger.
      I would hate to see him in midfield plodding with the ball at his feet or more likely tripping over the ball.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #556: Mar 13, 2017 08:22:53 am
      Because he is not a CM never has always played as a winger.

That was the reason he joined us because he was told he would play there when Gerrard left.

(July 2015) "I’ve been very fortunate to play for some massive clubs during my career so far and this is another one. It’s a great challenge for me. I want to play football and play more centrally if I can – and that’s where the manager said he sees me playing.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #557: Mar 13, 2017 08:29:48 am
      I shouldn't bother, but for the fair weather in you I will:

It was an acid test. We are renowned for pretty much losing these games as we did the reverse fixture earlier on in the season. The Arsenal result was finally consolidated, unlike the Spurs/Leicester one. You know this, your not that thick and ignorant, then again...

But, we came through it, just. And like I said, I'm grateful for that.

Fair weather? Miles off!

Your plain ignorant when you can't acknowledge that 4 starters are out with injury. That depletes the squad, which depletes the starting 11, which then depletes the bench.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #558: Mar 13, 2017 08:43:12 am
      That was the reason he joined us because he was told he would play there when Gerrard left.

Another one of Rodgers square pegs in round hole ideas.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #559: Mar 13, 2017 09:32:39 am
      Saw one of those passing stat graphs and they hammered us down our left wing. Whether because they're stronger there or we're weaker I dont know.

I think Milners had enough of the little left back experiment personally.

I think a huge difference was that Milner was too high up at times and Klavan offered next to no assistance. I thought this was quite ironic considering Can had to go and help bail Klavan out quite a few times. They found the huge gap that existed between Milner & Klavan and they just peppered it all game long. Milner is good at dealing with stuff that happens in front of him but the minute he has to turn and run with somebody like Gray then he's fu**ed.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #560: Mar 13, 2017 10:11:24 am
      True words.

He seems to have worse games when Henderson is out as well. Maybe he's thinking 'why am I not playing in CM?'.

Cos then we'd have to play Moreno at LB.
      So F**k that.

Milner was poor yesterday, but he's been pretty good as a LB for us, definitely way better than the alternative. Hopefully we get in a LB in the summer, but in the meantime he's staying in that position. ( An injury to him would probably cost us more than an injury to any other player. Other than Mane.)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #561: Mar 13, 2017 10:29:35 am

Or maybe you know that the squad is non existent.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #562: Mar 13, 2017 10:34:08 am
      Another one of Rodgers square pegs in round hole ideas.

Unlike Klopp who has decided Milner is a LB ? :roll:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #563: Mar 13, 2017 10:55:02 am
      Burnley despite their abysmal away record, never go down without a fight. Very poor performance overall, although three points in the bag, is what obviously counts.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #564: Mar 13, 2017 10:56:22 am

It's funny that he looks more of a LB than a CM though. He's also playing at LB as an emergency because Moreno is so bad. The difference is that Rodgers actively signed Milner to play CM when he isn't one.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #565: Mar 13, 2017 11:15:14 am
      Remember when Milner was absolutely awful at CM and ended the season with 15 assists? That was a total disaster!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #566: Mar 13, 2017 11:41:28 am
      Saw one of those passing stat graphs and they hammered us down our left wing. Whether because they're stronger there or we're weaker I dont know.

I think Milners had enough of the little left back experiment personally.

That would have been to target Milner and mainly Klavan (keeing it away from the more commanding Matip)

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #567: Mar 13, 2017 11:51:57 am
      That performance was abysmal. For me, it was further evidence that we need to change the set up and formation for these type of fixtures. That said, I actually thought Burnley showed a lot of attacking intent and they played 4-4-2 - not many teams come to our place and have the bollocks to do that, so it wasn't our usual trying to break the double decker down type game.

They're a decent side them, very difficult to beat and they all play for their manager, but focusing on ourselves for a minute I thought we were nowhere near our best and it was a sloppy, slow performance. I'm just happy we got three points in the bag because that's obviously the most important thing. It was essential that we got the points so well done to Klopp and the boys. Its about time we won ugly I suppose.

Mignolet - Very slow getting the ball out. When he did, his kicks usually fell to a Burnley centre half. I thought his distribution was woeful yesterday. However, he came off his line and punched 1 or 2 dangerous balls away and he couldn't do anything about the goal we conceded either.

Clyne - Say the same thing about him every week. Defensively sound but offers little going forward. He looks a bit clueless once he gets into the opposition half.

Matip - Thought he had a very good game. Reads the game superbly, didn't do an awful lot wrong, if anything at all. My motm.

Klavan - He was steady enough too. In general, I thought that him and Matip defended very well. Burnley played a lot of long ball football and for most parts, we dealt with it.

Milner - Its these type of games where you notice that we don't have a natural left back. No width, no pace. We had nothing down that left side at all yesterday. I like Milner and think he has done a sound job for us this season but I would definitely consider bringing Moreno in for these type of games where we know we will see most of the ball and we're relying on pace to get in behind.

Can - Scored a very, very good goal but other than that he was the worst player on the pitch. I thought his goal would give him some much needed confidence but I think he gave the ball away (for the millionth time) literally 30 seconds later which just summed up his game.

Wijnaldum - Got lucky with his goal but its good to see him getting forward more into dangerous positions and getting on the score sheet/making assists. His game overall was probably average. At times did well, at times went missing a bit.

Lallana - He struggled yesterday, not involved.

Coutinho - Not sure if he was carrying an injury but he had an awful game. Arguably the worst I've ever seen him. He hasn't been the same since his injury.

Mane - Not as electric or lethal as usual but I did feel he was our biggest threat yesterday. Had a lot of joy down that right hand side, particularly in the first half.

Origi - To be fair to him the service was dire last night but he had a poor game in truth. I don't think he won one header? He's a big powerful centre forward, he needs to be bullying defenders every week but it seems to me like hes just too nice. Hes too easy to play against. He needs to up his game.

Lucas - Only on for 5-10 mins but won quite a lot of challenges and did a job.

Woodburn - Neat and tidy on the ball, did well in parts, thought he backed out of a couple of challenges and looked a little lightweight though.

We need to up our game (which I'm sure we will) if we're going to take any points at City. That was poor yesterday but as many have said, its all about the points.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #568: Mar 13, 2017 12:29:23 pm
      I've just listened to that, he got shot down by Kelly and Wright and then fu**ed off for Jurgens interview. What a cock.

My favourite bit.....

"Wrighty, if you were a Liverpool fan would you be happy being in 6th or 7th?"

"You're not in sixth or seventh, you're in fourth"

Modern day fan sh*te.

Modern day gobs***e Ian, doesn't even qualify as a supporter.

Apparently 'the money is there' to address the LB conundrum - and the much needed striker - and the attacking midfielder and maybe a wide man.
      Apparently.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #569: Mar 13, 2017 12:40:25 pm

Agree with you there it was worth playing him as a emergency LB but the situation should have been remedied in the January window.

Milner is now being targeted by opposition managers.
      Not Jimmys fault as he is not a LB.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #570: Mar 13, 2017 01:11:03 pm
      We won. 3 points. Hooray. :)

BTW: Milner is 100% better than Bertie IMHO.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #571: Mar 13, 2017 01:15:50 pm
      Watched it again this morning, and I noticed 2 things; Burnley set up to spoil, intimidate and rough us up, and I have to say it worked, except we were still good enough to get 2 goals.
      The second thing was Coutinho. We've heard Klopp talk about how he helps the team defend, well yesterday, he didn't, leaving Milner very exposed.
      The lad is completely off his game at the moment, but we've seen drops in form from him before, and no doubt he'll get back to his best. It didn't help him that Burnley doubled up on him pretty much every time he got the ball, and then used the space behind him (having won the ball off him) to attack Milner.

It was a poor performance against a tough team, who've made all of the top 6 look ordinary this season.
      An ugly win, yes, but still a win.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #572: Mar 13, 2017 01:24:27 pm
      Modern day gobs***e Ian, doesn't even qualify as a supporter.

Apparently 'the money is there' to address the LB conundrum - and the much needed striker - and the attacking midfielder and maybe a wide man.
      Apparently.

I was listening to that as well. Guy was a total eejit.

We have defo improved since Brendan, obv. one is 2 finals compared to 2 semi finals year before, and we will finish higher in the league this season, defo returning to Europe, Klopp will have another summer to add some class to the 1st team \ squad, strengthening us for an attack in Europe and the league next year.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #573: Mar 13, 2017 02:04:22 pm
      For the life of me i can not get excited about this"win"... It was not a great performance, not by a long shot, i was less than decisive... For long periods of the game we came under immense pressure from Burnley, who could have won the game if not for a lack of better finishing... If we take this sort of game to City, or Everton we will be lucky to come away with any points...

What really concerns me with this game is that it felt like the Leicester City game, in that we seemed slow out of the blocks and there was a lack of fight in the team, besides the defense that is... It is almost if the player are thinking " You know what, It's Burnley, we will do these easy.I don't need to put in a shift I'll play at 80%, someone else will pick up the slack"... But instead of one player thinking it five or six of them do, and we end up where we are.... Struggling against lower table opposition...

We should be treating every game on this run in as if it was the Cup Final... The is no real Spirit or killer instinct in this team.
      No Real desire to win

Seriously. Get over it. We won. That's what matters.

Would you have been happier with a better performance coupled with a draw or loss?

We won ugly. It's what is needed from time to time and I personally would have taken that over the 5 defeats beforehand...

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #574: Mar 13, 2017 02:22:44 pm
      I was listening to that as well. Guy was a total eejit.

We have defo improved since Brendan, obv. one is 2 finals compared to 2 semi finals year before, and we will finish higher in the league this season, defo returning to Europe, Klopp will have another summer to add some class to the 1st team \ squad, strengthening us for an attack in Europe and the league next year.

We couldn't fail to improve mate after Brendan Rodgers with Klopp taking the reins, an average appointment instead of the well respected Klopp would have seen us fading into obscurity.

Nobody would deny our incumbent confronts the same issues that Rodgers and previous managers have had to deal with under JWH&Co and have failed the task; Jürgen has the skills to do a passable job in spite of apparent limitation, as the word 'passable' suggests however the proposition does not preclude scrutiny.

Something suggests Klopp will avoid said scrutiny if it all fucks up again, respected as he is and in spite of backing JWH&Co 'the money is there' claim another trophy-less season will see all the incoming directed at the owners - the tide will turn.

AGAIN it is 'wait and see' but the grains of sand along with patience are noticeable by their absence.

Quick Reply