Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: Man City V Liverpool - Sunday 19/03/17 K.O. 16.30

Read 11393 times
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 154 posts | 40 
      Pre Match: Man City V Liverpool - Sunday 19/03/17 K.O. 16.30
      Mar 12, 2017 09:38:51 pm
      Next up city,real test of character away win would be a dent in their hopes ,and would give ours a huge boost.
      « Last Edit: Mar 12, 2017 11:37:53 pm by JD »
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Re: Pre Match: Man City V Liverpool - Sunday 19/03/17 K.O. 16.30
      Reply #1: Mar 13, 2017 07:55:43 am
      Huge game this, but then they all are now. There is no doubt in my mind that if City play as we know they can we will get in behind them and score goals, their defence is by far the weakest point. That said, so is ours! Their obvious threat is their attack, Aguero, on form, is unplayable, am I right in saying Jesus is out injured? So much for curing the lame!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Still, us on form, can do a job here, we just need to make sure that we turn up and press from the outset, grab a couple of goals and make them come out more. Very difficult to call as both teams are capable of scintillating football and defensive errors, come on redmen let's put this season to bed on a high!!!!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Mar 13, 2017 08:06:56 am
      Henderson out again according to Jürgen
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #3: Mar 13, 2017 12:53:45 pm
      We can turn them over. We do well against footballing sides, Arrsenal and Tottenham are cases in point. I do worry about our defence, Klavan does not fill me with confidence and Can hasn't been the best defensive midfielder. If we can get our act together at the back, we have a big chance to make up some ground.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #4: Mar 13, 2017 05:48:37 pm
      Same score line as last season would be nice 👍🏻😎
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #5: Mar 14, 2017 07:46:18 am
      Firminho and Lovren in for Klav and Origi
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #6: Mar 14, 2017 10:13:51 am
      The win against Burnley has put us under less pressure for this game. If we had dropped points against Burnley then this would have been a must win but I think we can afford a draw now. The pressure is on City.

A big improvement from Sunday is needed though. Although we got three points, we were nowhere near our best and the lads need a kick up the arse for this one. Whenever we've played against the top 6 this season we've done extremely well so I'm hopeful, and confident, we can keep that run going.

Onto the team. Even with the possibility of Lovren returning I don't see any reason why Jürgen should change his back five. We've just had back to back wins so keep things how they are please boss.

The midfield three also picks itself. I'm not a fan of Emre Can at all but with Hendo missing he keeps his place. Lucas doesn't have the legs for this fixture and besides, that goal he scored on Sunday might give him some much needed confidence. Emre is due a huge game for us and I can't think of a better game for him to grab it by the scruff of the neck and dominate the midfield. Come on son show us what you can do.  Lallana and Wijnaldum come in alongside him. I trust Lallana to have a good game, he usually does in the 'big games' but Wijnaldum has the habit of going missing away from home at times, we need a big performance from him too if we are going to get anything from this game.

I don't know the circumstances with Firmino at the moment but if he is available then he comes in alongside Mane and Coutinho.  Origi was very disappointing on Sunday. Coutinho was too, but he comes to life a bit when Firmino is around him. Origi has a big part to play in this game though, if we are winning and we need somebody to come on and hold the ball up to see the game out then he is the perfect substitute, so keep warm mate you'll be needed.

Mignolet

Clyne      Matip     Klavan    Milner

Can
           Wijnaldum         Lallana

Mane   Firmino   Coutinho

Come on reds, 3 points would do wonders!

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2017 10:40:13 am
      Defence the main concern, although a draw would not be a disaster. Reckon we need to aim for about 75 points for CL football next season.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Mar 14, 2017 10:43:22 am
      Draw would be decent.

I'd probably just about keep Klavan in ahead of Lovren. Not sure it's the game to throw TAA in with Sane and Sterling playing so well at the moment. Hopefully Firmino is fit so we can cause them similar problems to last season at the Etihad.

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #9: Mar 14, 2017 10:53:00 am
      Lovren for Klavan, Bobby for Divock

Lets hope they pick up some injuries this week....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2017 11:21:56 am

Not overly fussed.  Klavan and Matip have played the last two and we've got 6 points so don't see a huge reason to change it.

Probably - but thought Origi did alright when the ball made it's way up to him.

Lets hope they pick up some injuries this week....

No need.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2017 11:48:19 am
      Probably - but thought Origi did alright when the ball made it's way up to him.

One thing about Firmino and our other strikers that I think often goes overlooked is the difference he makes in winning the ball in the air. I've had this impression for quite a while that although not our tallest striker, he's definitely the one who makes it harder for defenders when the ball comes in the air, which is quite often, especially as Mignolet can be so slow in re-starting play and is frequently left with no option other than kicking it long.

I've just looked on Squawka and the stats seem to back this up: Firmino wins 31.37% of aerial duels, compared to 22.70% from Origi and 20.00% from Sturridge.

I felt against Burnley that Firmino would have made a big difference on that (winning the long balls) alone, as I was rather unimpressed with Origi's work in that respect. Last time I saw Sturridge play live I was even less impressed, as he didn't even bother jumping most of the time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2017 04:08:09 pm
      One thing about Firmino and our other strikers that I think often goes overlooked is the difference he makes in winning the ball in the air. I've had this impression for quite a while that although not our tallest striker, he's definitely the one who makes it harder for defenders when the ball comes in the air, which is quite often, especially as Mignolet can be so slow in re-starting play and is frequently left with no option other than kicking it long.

I've just looked on Squawka and the stats seem to back this up: Firmino wins 31.37% of aerial duels, compared to 22.70% from Origi and 20.00% from Sturridge.

I felt against Burnley that Firmino would have made a big difference on that (winning the long balls) alone, as I was rather unimpressed with Origi's work in that respect. Last time I saw Sturridge play live I was even less impressed, as he didn't even bother jumping most of the time.

It is the one area where Origi really must improve, his physicality, he has to get stuck in more, ala Diego Costa. Far to often I see Origi duck out of challenges and for a lad his size that just isn't acceptable. If he can add that toughness to his game then we have a real striker on our hands.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2017 04:14:28 pm
      The 4-1 team from last season

Mignolet
      Clyne          Skrtel                      Lovren         Moreno
                       Milner        Lucas             Can
                        LallanaFirminoCoutinho

I hope muscle memory kicks in from that game and I think Matip, Klavan, Mane and possibly Henderson for Skrtel, Lovren, Can and Lucas improves on that team, that said Citeh are in superb form with Sane, Sterling and Silva behind kun all hitting top form.

Should be an interesting game and I hope we can press and exploit their defence then slowly push them back to control the game

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2017 04:25:03 pm
      Watch out for Sane and DeBruyne. Otherwise, not too worried about this lot. I'm sure Ferandinho will be on his typiical fouling, cheating style  of play so we need someone to counter that.  Really wish Hendo was in, hopefully Can will be up to the task.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #15: Mar 14, 2017 06:30:13 pm
      Personally I'd be a lot more confident about this one if Hendo was in for Can. Never thought I'd ever hear myself saying that to be honest.
      In reality, Hendo has so much more energy and Movement than Can, and thats what we need against Citeh, the ability to press in the middle of the park, and not let them get their passing going. Can just doesn't seem to have the energy for it, or the speed of thought.
      With Hendo I'd say yes, we'll win, but with Can, a different story, and i'm not too convinced. Be happy with a draw under the circumstances.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #16: Mar 14, 2017 06:32:48 pm
      This amazing run against the top 6 has to end somewhere!

Just hope it isn't against city.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #17: Mar 14, 2017 07:27:43 pm
      Very confident we will batter these, if you swarm them and don't let them play as they want they crumble and our game is perfectly suited to their game imo.

Win this and it's 3 on the bounce and suddenly a little momentum is building after a rough start to the year. Come on reds!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #18: Mar 14, 2017 07:35:14 pm

Way to be positive there boss.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: Mar 14, 2017 07:49:08 pm

Phenomenal.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #20: Mar 14, 2017 11:56:32 pm

A really good point Diego!!  Bobby's physicality and aerial ability are underrated features of his game.  On this topic, one of the things that irritates me the most about Origi is that he doesn't physically impose himself the way a player of his size and strength should be doing.  However, he is still young and maybe he will develop a bit of that aggression as he matures.  As for Studge, I can't help but feel he's been checked out for a while now.  Him and Klopp don't see eye-to-eye and he is already looking forward to the summer to find himself a new club....

The way City play (particularly under Pep) will play into our tactical gameplan.  We are great at disrupting teams that want to play good pass-and-move footie, but we struggle against the more direct sides because they bypass our press and exploit the spaces in behind our high line.  I'm actually more confident going into this one than I was the Burnley game. 
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #21: Mar 15, 2017 08:16:01 am
      Henderson out again according to Jürgen
      When Gerrard used to be out everyone panicked. When Henderson is out nobody seems to be bothered, Lallana and Gini would be better anyway. If I was Klopp I would make Lallana captain.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #22: Mar 15, 2017 09:16:19 am

Don't tempt fate.

Hopefully Citeh are a little fatigued after their trip to Monaco tonight - or their plane gets delayed by 24 hrs.

It's got all the hallmarks of being an entertaining game, given both defences are still prone to conceding goals.

I'd swap Origi for Firmino if he's fit, this is the type of game Bobby is usually decent in, when he has acres to run down and harry.

I'd leave Klavan in, though Lovren's pace over the Estonian would probably be better utilised. However, I do think the Klavan is more assured at the back and uses his experience well.

I think Clyne actually needs a rest as he looks a flogged horse to me, but seeing as there will probably be questions asked of us, I'd keep him in because like it or not, he's still our best defensive FB.

Fingers crossed for three on the bounce.

Quick Reply