Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      9 (8.3%)
      Joel Matip
      25 (22.9%)
      Emre Can
      21 (19.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      34 (31.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (9.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (5.5%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Mar 16, 2017 05:57:08 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27112 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Mar 13, 2017 03:24:41 pm
      Seriously. Get over it. We won. That's what matters.

Would you have been happier with a better performance coupled with a draw or loss?

We won ugly. It's what is needed from time to time and I personally would have taken that over the 5 defeats beforehand...
      It's not the matter of winning ugly sometimes we have to do that... This was not "winning ugly" for vast sways of the game we were out played and as I said "If not for better finishing we would have lost"... No what worries me is how we seemed to get over run in these games and seem to be up for the big games, and it is not just about teams sitting back, Burnley did not do that... Watched the game again, and we did not press, played (i.m.o.) too many long balls (route 1) even though it became apparent after 15 or so minutes that Burnley were win 9/10 long balls...

Seems as if klopp can not galvanize the team for games such as this, and it did not help seeing the bench... Thing is that most of our remaining games are against like clubs, and it does not bode well for us that they are
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #576: Mar 13, 2017 03:41:40 pm
      Not creating the Live thread worked like the Spurs, so I will keep in the background for Man City as well :(

It is better for the team :D

We played boring and without any flow or rhythm however we took three points, the most important thing :)

Wijnaldum, Matip and Klavan played well. Can improved in the second half and scored a good goal. Mane and Coutinho had quiet game.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #577: Mar 13, 2017 03:58:23 pm
      Not creating the Live thread worked like the Spurs, so I will keep in the background for Man City as well :(

It is better for the team :D

We played boring and without any flow or rhythm however we took three points, the most important thing :)

Wijnaldum, Matip and Klavan played well. Can improved in the second half and scored a good goal. Mane and Coutinho had quiet game.

Saw Coutinho come off and from his body language and expression it didn't look as though all is well. May have missed it but didn't see any man hug from Jürgen and when he took his place on the bench saw no interaction with the other lads.
      Could there be a subtext or am I reading it wrong?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #578: Mar 13, 2017 04:04:07 pm
      Saw Coutinho come off and from his body language and expression it didn't look as though all is well. May have missed it but didn't see any man hug from Jürgen and when he took his place on the bench saw no interaction with the other lads.

You expecting Jürgen to give Coutinho a hug after he stunk the place out?

As for Coutinho's body language I would imagine as a professional player he was embarrassed by his performance and to rub salt replaced by a 17 year old!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #579: Mar 13, 2017 04:17:38 pm
      You expecting Jürgen to give Coutinho a hug after he stunk the place out?

As for Coutinho's body language I would imagine as a professional player he was embarrassed by his performance and to rub salt replaced by a 17 year old!

It was bad day all round, Coutinho was on par with the majority on the field, who as whole should be embarrassed.
      That said his replacement and his age is irrelevant.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #580: Mar 13, 2017 04:22:22 pm
      Just finished watching the game. It wasn't pretty, but I'm not ready to jump off a cliff. We came through it with 3 points and scrapped. We are still without our Captain and that's going to be a glaring problem till he's back or Emre Can suddenly starts to understand how he needs to play football. Nice goal though and it helps. Thought Gini was the best of a mostly mediocre bunch. Who cares now, the only game that matters is the next one.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #581: Mar 13, 2017 04:31:10 pm
      First chance to post, so here goes:

-  A win is a win, no matter how ugly.  Mourinho has built a career on "winning ugly" and he's got a fair few trophies to show for it.

-  Gini was MotM again.  He always does the hard work that goes unnoticed at times, but now he's adding goals and assists to his game.  I honestly can't think of another CM in the Prem who is playing at a higher level right now. 

-  I've been very critical of Can in recent months, but he's been better the last 2 games.  The deeper CDM role is definitely a more natural position for him.  I still think his best position would be CB due to his size, athleticism, and skill set -- unfortunately I don't think he is heading that direction, so CDM is the best fit for now.  Hendo will slot back in as soon as he's fit though....

-  Special mention for Woodburn!!  The kid looks unfazed by the pressure of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.  I think he's got a bright future if he can keep his feet on the ground and head on his shoulders!!
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #582: Mar 13, 2017 05:02:06 pm
      What a f***in stinker of a match. Still cringing now after watching us desperately clinging on at home to Burnley !!!  Shambolic  and watching Lucas coming on to run around pushing people over ?

Still , 3 pts.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #583: Mar 13, 2017 05:26:55 pm

May seem strange, but why would Coutinho deserve the Klopp man hug? He was F***ing AWFUL! Not what a manager would be looking for from the teams highest paid player and "inspirational figure"...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #584: Mar 13, 2017 05:33:56 pm
      It's not the matter of winning ugly sometimes we have to do that... This was not "winning ugly" for vast sways of the game we were out played and as I said "If not for better finishing we would have lost"... No what worries me is how we seemed to get over run in these games and seem to be up for the big games, and it is not just about teams sitting back, Burnley did not do that... Watched the game again, and we did not press, played (i.m.o.) too many long balls (route 1) even though it became apparent after 15 or so minutes that Burnley were win 9/10 long balls...

Seems as if klopp can not galvanize the team for games such as this, and it did not help seeing the bench... Thing is that most of our remaining games are against like clubs, and it does not bode well for us that they are

Yes, the players do seem to have difficulties in getting themselves up for bread and butter games. Shows they're a bunch of show ponies doesn't it? However we got the result though, outplayed by Burnley or not, we got those points. Wasn't this game the exact opposite of the reverse fixture? So in my eyes, justice is done.

All this game confirms to me, is that we should build around Lallana and Mané. Regardless of how they've played they continue to work. Same cannot be said for Couts. A massive talent on his day, but too hot and cold...

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #585: Mar 13, 2017 05:37:56 pm
      May seem strange, but why would Coutinho deserve the Klopp man hug? He was F***ing AWFUL! Not what a manager would be looking for from the teams highest paid player and "inspirational figure"...

As stated very few of the team deserved anything but a kick up the arse, the majority were F***ing AWFUL, why single him out.
      If nothing else could what makes you think Coutinho would ''inspire'' any of them.

The reaction of the players on the bench was also mentioned in my comment, did Coutinho not deserve that either?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #586: Mar 13, 2017 05:46:07 pm
      As stated very few of the team deserved anything but a kick up the arse, the majority were f**king AWFUL, why single him out.
      If nothing else could what makes you think Coutinho would ''inspire'' any of them.

The reaction of the players on the bench was also mentioned in my comment, did Coutinho not deserve that either?

There is a huge amount of clearing out to do. Very few places are guaranteed IMO. Clyne is another who is completely underwhelming game in, games out. I used to think we had the better RB out of him and Walker at Spurs, but that opinion has changed drastically. I can't be bothered to go through the lot, it's too long winded. Lallana, Mané, Matip and Milner would be 100% keepers for me though...

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #587: Mar 13, 2017 08:20:13 pm
      Name a team that brushes aside Burnley at home? You won't find very many.

City? Won 2-1. Coach loses his rag.
      Arsenal? Won 2-1. Coach sent off.
      mancs? Didn't win at all. 37 shots, none went in the net. Coach sent off iirc.
      Swansea? Won 3-2. In injury time.
      Chelsea? Scraped a point at Burnley.

I don't care about the performance. We just had to win the game, whatever it took. And if you offered me 2-1 after half an hour, I would have gladly taken it. No it wasn't pretty to watch, it never is against Burnley. They kick and they hack and they foul and they disrupt and they timewaste, and they park the bus, it's awful stuff to watch. But we won, those around us in the table didn't get the favour they wanted, and in some cases needed.

Job done, move on to face City in a proper football game next week.

Apologies for my late response!

I get what your saying mate, winning ugly at times is sufficient when your slightly off your game or if your flying and come across a period where things just doesn't happen for you,  but we've not been flying , we've struggled now for best part of 3 months, not since end of November can we say we've been anywhere near fluent, we didn't win ugly V Hull, V Bournemouth,V Swansea, V Leicester did we ?

As a club Liverpool FC shouldn't have to rely on winning ugly, this is the point I'm trying to get across, I don't give a monkey's F**k how other teams fair against the Burnleys of this world, I want my club to have sufficient quality and sufficient numbers for us to adjust our system to suit against any opposition whatever system they employ against us,

We simply don't have that luxury, but why don't we is the question we should be asking ?

After almost 7 yrs of FSG and we are struggling to field a strong X1 backed by a quality bench, is that really acceptable in today's modern game ? Really ?

Looking at the champions elect, they don't struggle to field top quality each and every week, with a strong bench to back up the starters, yes they have more money and can go out and buy who they F**k they want, but it didn't take them 7 f***in yrs to do so did it,

Citeh, similar, Munts less so but still have the nucleus of a decent side, Arse similar to us, can field a decent X1 but not a lot of support, and then there is Spuds, they have steadily built up their squad over the last 4/5 seasons, since selling Bale they have strengthened season upon season, again hasn't taken them 7 f***in yrs,

I want my team to be competitive, I want them to have a air of confidence each time they cross that whitewash, no matter who the opposition is, no matter what they throw at us or how, I want my side to have the capability to adjust to any style the Burnley's, Plymouth's or any other bus Parking sides we come across,
      I want my team to have the kind of quality individual that can adjust to the style the manager plays on any given day, but we need a squad large enough to accommodate that,

I think the allocation of registered players for each club is 25 each season, out of that 25 I'd expect at least 12 to be top drawer high quality individuals, the rest made up 6/7 out of ten type performers, even if that means coming off the bench, am I asking too much I hear you ask? Maybe, I don't know, but if you want to see your club compete at the level of the top 2 or 3 domestically, if you want your club to compete with the best half doz sides in Europe this what we need to build up to,

Not F**k about whinging about a few million here or there for targets that would enhance our ambitions, I'm sick of it, piss arsing about while our competitors get stronger, we get weaker and therefore much harder to keep up. Alway f***in struggling, scraping a win here a win there, F**k that, I want clubs that come to us f***in bricking it, knowing that they are most likely going to be on the end of a twatting, I want my club Winning, with ease, Winning hard fought battles against similar opposition, and yes SOMETIMES Winning ugly too, but only on the back of seeing my side playing decent football and confident .

I'm sick of having to accept mediocrity, that's the attitude of our owners, their happy to settle for mid table security with top 3 profitability,

If Coutinho, or Mane, or Henderson or Bobby had baseball bats in their hands and played f***in rounders, I wonder how much money they would invest into the club then,

Or should we start calling ourselves Liverpool Redsocks ?

YNWA

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #588: Mar 13, 2017 09:17:44 pm
      Name a team that brushes aside Burnley at home? You won't find very many.

You mean who brushes the worst away team in the league at home? :D

Chelsea 3-0
      Leicester 3-0
      Southampton 3-1
      WBA 4-0
      Stoke 2-0

Yes they're not that frequently demolished but they're utter crap out of Turf Moor.

We sank to their level at times but managed to win.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #589: Mar 13, 2017 10:07:41 pm
      Probably our biggest win of the season so far. We lose this game and the psychological impact of it would only have worsened. Now when it comes to a lower team, us and the opponent will be able to think back to how we managed to turn this around and grind out the win. Had we lost this it would have given the weaker teams even more confidence when it came to playing us because let's be honest, was near enough a certainty we would end up losing these games the way it has been going. Our performance was poor still but people remember the result more than the performance.

Huge 3 points at a vital stage of the season.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #590: Mar 13, 2017 10:46:50 pm

Huge 3 points at a vital stage of the season.

Awful performance and probably doesn't say a lot for the lads.. bit concerning really..

But that aside, I agree with the sentiment there. Vital 3 points indeed. Need plenty more of those wins now.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #591: Mar 13, 2017 11:24:19 pm
      Awful performance and probably doesn't say a lot for the lads.. bit concerning really..

Luckily performances can be improved and sometimes it's better to come away from a game like this with such a performance. We have absolutely battered the other team this season but came away with a defeat so out of the two, I'd rather us play like that and have something to build on instead of having a good performance but nothing to show for it. If that makes sense.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #592: Mar 14, 2017 03:36:30 am
      we won. 3 pts
      10 more games to go

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #593: Mar 14, 2017 01:47:24 pm
      Saw one of those passing stat graphs and they hammered us down our left wing. Whether because they're stronger there or we're weaker I dont know.

I think Milners had enough of the little left back experiment personally.

Same here on Milner, mate. It's ran it's course that horse.

And from where I was, you could see as clear as day, we just didn't exploit that space in their half.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #594: Mar 14, 2017 08:27:51 pm
      The Burnley game was always going to be ugly. It got even uglier after 8 minutes, and a win looked very unlikely. Therefore the players deserve some credit for getting through it. And perhaps we are seeing an adjustment in tactics from Klopp. We've won the last 3 home games, and taken a more cautious approach in all of them to see them out. It certainly was interesting to see us play Burnley level football after we went in front, and see how they liked to confront it, rather than us dictating the play and running into brick walls anytime we approached the penalty area.

We were the only top 6 side to play this weekend. A win was essential. If we didn't, there would be consequences down the line. There may still be, but we did what we had to do. The performance level will be soon forgotten if we meet our targets at the end of the year.
      « Last Edit: Mar 14, 2017 11:22:35 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #595: Mar 15, 2017 10:40:27 am
      We gave Burnley too much space and time on the ball and they did the opposite to us. If we had marked their players closely they would look worst off. On many occasions we started marking them only when the ball is passed to one of their players, that's a yard and a second too late and that makes a lot of difference. Our players need to read the game better and close down the space faster, otherwise, all the running will be a waste of energy and unproductive.

On the positive side, we committed enough bodies inside their box that resulted in the equaliser, that's refreshing.  I'm still of the opinion, if teams park the bus we must also park our players inside their box to create confusion and scoring opportunities. Trying to create a clear cut scoring chance from out side the box, with only say 2 of our players against say 6 defenders will not work. Football is still about a game trying to force the ball over the opposition goal line to score and that means we need enough bodies inside the opposition box to do that.

Very happy with Ginny's performance, he meant what he said in his battle cry before the game while the rest are still hasn't up their game. He was almost on Burnley's goal line when he scored that somehow shows his determination.

All in, very happy with the 3 points, lets move swiftly nearer to that 75 points.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #596: Mar 18, 2017 08:31:50 am
      Quote from Diego LFC
      You mean who brushes the worst away team in the league at home? :D

Chelsea 3-0
      Leicester 3-0
      Southampton 3-1
      WBA 4-0
      Stoke 2-0

Yes they're not that frequently demolished but they're utter crap out of Turf Moor.

So one of those sides are our rivals. City, Arsenal, Spurs, and us all beat them 2-1 at home, some with great difficulty.

Quote from billythered
      I get what your saying mate, winning ugly at times is sufficient when your slightly off your game or if your flying and come across a period where things just doesn't happen for you,  but we've not been flying , we've struggled now for best part of 3 months, not since end of November can we say we've been anywhere near fluent, we didn't win ugly V Hull, V Bournemouth,V Swansea, V Leicester did we ?

As a club Liverpool FC shouldn't have to rely on winning ugly, this is the point I'm trying to get across, I don't give a monkey's F**k how other teams fair against the Burnleys of this world, I want my club to have sufficient quality and sufficient numbers for us to adjust our system to suit against any opposition whatever system they employ against us,

We simply don't have that luxury, but why don't we is the question we should be asking ?

After almost 7 yrs of FSG and we are struggling to field a strong X1 backed by a quality bench, is that really acceptable in today's modern game ? Really ?

Looking at the champions elect, they don't struggle to field top quality each and every week, with a strong bench to back up the starters, yes they have more money and can go out and buy who they F**k they want, but it didn't take them 7 f***in yrs to do so did it,

Citeh, similar, Munts less so but still have the nucleus of a decent side, Arse similar to us, can field a decent X1 but not a lot of support, and then there is Spuds, they have steadily built up their squad over the last 4/5 seasons, since selling Bale they have strengthened season upon season, again hasn't taken them 7 f***in yrs,

I want clubs that come to us f***in bricking it, knowing that they are most likely going to be on the end of a twatting, I want my club Winning, with ease, Winning hard fought battles against similar opposition, and yes SOMETIMES Winning ugly too, but only on the back of seeing my side playing decent football and confident .

YNWA

We have won at ease at home this season, sometimes battering the opposition, but also grinding out results too. We've also win the last three home games, and until the January speed bump, we were unbeaten at home for one year.

If you don't care how other clubs have dealt with Burnley at home this year, that's fair enough, but most have found it a struggle to break them down, and so have we. I expected an ugly struggle before the game, and that is what we got. At this point of the season, results matter more than performances. We just had to win, and we did. So we move onto the next challenge. When we went for the title last time, we had a similar game at home to Sunderland, which was ugly, scrappy, and tense. We barely got through it, then hammered Spurs 4-0 in a magnificent performance the following Sunday. You get such games and challenges to overcome at this time of year, and you just win first, ask questions later.

About next year. I expect Spurs to struggle without WHL, and Arsenal to struggle should they pull the plug on Wenger. That leaves 4 of the current top 6 to battle it out for honours. Chelsea will outspend us as usual. They brought hairbag back from PSG on the last day of the transfer window. We did nothing on the last day, and our main defensive target was a freebie from Schalke. He's certainly decent at his job, but the difference between them was 35 million quid, and it shows on the field. Neither Klopp nor FSG want to splash the cash, so we have to hope that the signings we do make work. We can't afford them not to.

Quick Reply