Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      10 (8.7%)
      Joel Matip
      6 (5.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      63 (54.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Mar 23, 2017 06:31:22 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34711 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Mar 19, 2017 06:41:17 pm
      We need a proven striker, Klopp has to start sourcing for one. If we had one today, we could have scored another. All these misses are going to cost us dearly. Origi is too lighweight, he'll score a few here and there but a long term solution, he's not the one.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #507: Mar 19, 2017 06:43:20 pm
      We need a proven striker, Klopp has to start sourcing for one. If we had one today, we could have scored another. All these misses are going to cost us dearly. Origi is too lighweight, he'll score a few here and there but a long term solution, he's not the one.

We've got one, but he spends most of his time in the treatment room.

Origi is 21, he hasn't finished filling out yet, and is far from "lightweight", plus he has had a knock.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: LIVE Man City V Liverpool
      Reply #508: Mar 19, 2017 06:43:38 pm
      At the other end Lallana had a tap in, Mane had one from the penalty spot rolled to him, another 6 yards out he couldn't get good contact on and we won a pen, all created by Bobby, yet he's "so wasteful in attack". The 3 chances he missed, he hit one through the legs of a defender and it just went on the outside of the post, the second he took a shot that he was clearly knackered with (you know he hasn't trained this week and he's carrying an injury and he's played almost every minute, but no slack given.) No surprise he was subbed just after, people asking why he didn't pass to Lallana, well he'd just put one on a plate for him, so he thought he'd try and take responsibility. The final and biggest chance he missed was from a difficult angle, he got it on target and the keeper got his angles right but of course Bobby should score that.... Go and watch what Aguero missed all day and then realise the standard you're holding him to.

Agree with the rest of the post too, but wanted to comment on this part. Ridiculous people judging Firmino after being injured for two weeks. He hasn't trained for about two weeks apparently and only got back to full training two days ago or something?

Of course he is lacking match rhythm. The only thing that let him down on the chance where he was put on goal one vs one with Caballero was his first touch which left the ball slightly under him and that made it very difficult to get a good shot away from that angle. And what is the cause of that? Lack of match rhythm after injury. He looked absolutely dead on his feet with that last chance too, which shouldn't be a surprise at all after such a high tempo game and with him not having trained properly for so long.

Can MOTM for me, head and shoulders above the rest, massive display by the lad. Most of us know he is capable of that, it's up to him to show this on a consistent basis. He has all the qualities to be a top player. Honorable mentions for Wijnaldum and Matip too.

Just in general, that was a beautiful game of football by the two sides, enjoyed every second of it.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #509: Mar 19, 2017 06:44:36 pm
      Satisfactory result, although could have snatched a win at the end.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #510: Mar 19, 2017 06:45:02 pm
      We've got one, but he spends most of his time in the treatment room.

Origi is 21, he hasn't finished filling out yet, and is far from "lightweight", plus he has had a knock.

Never mind filling out, he's shrinking. He's regressed considerably this season. It's not just strikers we need, it's an entire back five im my opinion. The middle bit is fine, just sort out the opposite ends.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #511: Mar 19, 2017 06:45:33 pm
      After all the slating of Can by myself, about his lack of mobility pace and desire.
      Today I eat my words. He was terrific, and battled for everything until the final whistle.
      Solid, mobile, and bullied  his way through that game. Didn't give them a moments peace. Slotted a few decent balls through as well.
      Why he doesn't do it every week is a mystery, but today, credit where credits due !

Agree.
      Still think that Can will eventually get the armband.

For some reason although I wanted to go gung-ho ... I put us down for a 1-1 on the Prediction League.

7 points or a win on the day ?

A win on the day  ;D of course .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #512: Mar 19, 2017 06:46:36 pm
      Can has always struck me as a player who needs games under his belt to find his best form, but I also think that's down to his age and lack of experience.
      With Henderson out, he's had a good run of full matches, and his performances have steadily improved.

Yeah, that's a fair point and if the commentators were right today it's also the position he wants to play. Something about the contract talks being about that too, now of course we've no idea how much truth is in that but it would be a strange thing to lie about in my opinion.

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #513: Mar 19, 2017 06:47:12 pm

Just in general, that was a beautiful game of football by the two sides, enjoyed every second of it.

That was a f***in awful game of football. We were sh*te but still should of won. Midfield and front 3 were sh*te.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #514: Mar 19, 2017 06:48:03 pm
      For a player of his height, Origi is pretty sh*t in the air. What a difference it makes having Firmino in the side - it means we contest all of Mig's long balls, as opposed to simply gifting the opposition with possession as Origi hardly ever wins anything and lacks that type of physicality.

Don't know what's going on with Coutinho at the moment. Very disappointing run of form.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #515: Mar 19, 2017 06:48:21 pm
      Anyway congratulations, on your seven points. Although I know you would have preferred a win for the Reds.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #516: Mar 19, 2017 06:50:25 pm
      That was a f***in awful game of football. We were sh*te but still should of won. Midfield and front 3 were sh*te.

You must be a defensive purist then?

Stream I was watching both Lee Dixon and Greame Le Saux were agreeing that it was one of, if not, the best match of the season. Now I'm not a Le Saux fan but I actually think Dixon is a very good judge and analyst, I tend to agree with them on this.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #517: Mar 19, 2017 06:51:02 pm
      I can't figure out why Can does'nt give that type of performance week in week out, 'cause I know he has that in him.  Should have been MOM from mini chuckle tho'
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #518: Mar 19, 2017 06:51:03 pm

??? ??? ???
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #519: Mar 19, 2017 06:51:24 pm
      ManC was better overall, we can be satisfied with one point. One could see the talent gap to ManC at times, but we did hang in. I can happily live with that draw. 

No they weren't that game was evens stevens.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #520: Mar 19, 2017 06:51:37 pm
      Never mind filling out, he's shrinking. He's regressed considerably this season. It's not just strikers we need, it's an entire back five im my opinion. The middle bit is fine, just sort out the opposite ends.

Gym work will do that to you, especially as the body is maturing and filling out.

Yeah, that's a fair point and if the commentators were right today it's also the position he wants to play. Something about the contract talks being about that too, now of course we've no idea how much truth is in that but it would be a strange thing to lie about in my opinion.

IMO that's a bit of a media red herring.
      Can spoke earlier in the season about how it helped his fitness, after coming back from injury, to play in a deeper role, and I think this is where the idea has come from.
      Certainly Klopp seems happy enough with him, and the contract negotiations, and I don't imagine he's a manager a player can dictate to.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #521: Mar 19, 2017 06:52:03 pm
      Agree with the rest of the post too, but wanted to comment on this part. Ridiculous people judging Firmino after being injured for two weeks. He hasn't trained for about two weeks apparently and only got back to full training two days ago or something?

Of course he is lacking match rhythm. The only thing that let him down on the chance where he was put on goal one vs one with Caballero was his first touch which left the ball slightly under him and that made it very difficult to get a good shot away from that angle. And what is the cause of that? Lack of match rhythm after injury. He looked absolutely dead on his feet with that last chance too, which shouldn't be a surprise at all after such a high tempo game and with him not having trained properly for so long.

Can MOTM for me, head and shoulders above the rest, massive display by the lad. Most of us know he is capable of that, it's up to him to show this on a consistent basis. He has all the qualities to be a top player. Honorable mentions for Wijnaldum and Matip too.

Fair dos, Firmino did have an injury I forgot. Perhaps if he was fully match sharp he would have grabbed a goal.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #522: Mar 19, 2017 06:52:13 pm

Lot of criticism for some of our lads on here, which I don't understand.  They gave everything and both teams looked like they'd played 120 minutes not 90.  Fantastic game. 

I agree with the Emre comments, and I gave him my MOTM, but I though Milner was sound - totally unfazed by the jeers and stick, ice cool and solid.  Slotted another pen and even put a cross in with his left in the 1st half!  We do need to work on stopping crosses coming in, as a couple of people said already. 
      Every time I see a re run of the Lallana miss I'm convinced he's going to bury it, how the hell did he mess that up?  He was everywhere as usual.

I thought the ref had a decent game apart from the penalty shout he missed, (and tbh I'm delighted he did) could have overreacted but played it sensibly. 

In the end it's two points dropped for both teams; we needed the win but not losing is psychologically vital.  Got to smash the bitter boys now and hold our nerve, Arsenal have gone so it's a dogfight between us, the scum, city and the spuds for four places.  My money is on us doing it but I badly need to see Moaninho drop some points, the jammy so and so.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #523: Mar 19, 2017 06:53:36 pm
      Excellent game for the neutrals as throughly enjoyed the football that was played.  :)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #524: Mar 19, 2017 06:53:43 pm
      After all the slating of Can by myself, about his lack of mobility pace and desire.
      Today I eat my words. He was terrific, and battled for everything until the final whistle.
      Solid, mobile, and bullied  his way through that game. Didn't give them a moments peace. Slotted a few decent balls through as well.
      Why he doesn't do it every week is a mystery, but today, credit where credits due !

I thought it was a good match, but to be honest, Hendo offers that and more on a far more consistent basis IMO. Hendo has had games like that in which he was composed and won the ball plenty of times, only to end up being criticized for not "playing the Xabi Alonso role" (ha ha), not covering the fullbacks well enough or some other crap.

I wonder what happens when Hendo is back. My guess is Can doesn't keep this sort of form and Hendo gets his place back in the team. Which will be interesting given Can saying he wants to play as the number 6.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #525: Mar 19, 2017 06:53:52 pm
      IMO that's a bit of a media red herring.
      Can spoke earlier in the season about how it helped his fitness, after coming back from injury, to play in a deeper role, and I think this is where the idea has come from.
      Certainly Klopp seems happy enough with him, and the contract negotiations, and I don't imagine he's a manager a player can dictate to.

Ah fair enough, they could be quoting from there then perhaps.

Agree that Klopp wont be dictated to but also think he has a bit of a soft spot for Emre. In either case I expect Emre to stay and if he can produce a few more performances like that he'd massively improve his bargaining position.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #526: Mar 19, 2017 06:57:54 pm
      Ah fair enough, they could be quoting from there then perhaps.

Agree that Klopp wont be dictated to but also think he has a bit of a soft spot for Emre. In either case I expect Emre to stay and if he can produce a few more performances like that he'd massively improve his bargaining position.

Pretty sure he'll be a beast when he hits his prime.
      He has a lovely delicate touch as well when needed, and we've seen that little chip over the top a few times this season.

Speaking earlier in March, Can attributed his struggle for form this season to his own fitness issues—something he is able navigate in his new position.

“Maybe it was not good that I played and did not have a break. I didn’t play well when it was my opportunity to play and it was my mistake,” he said.

“I play in a different position now and I don’t sprint too much.

“When I play at No. 8 I have to go forward and sprint more; when I play at No. 6 I don’t have to sprint too much.

“I feel good at the moment. I have to come back to the old Emre because when I am fit I know what I am able to do and I am confident enough to know I can play much better than in the past.”
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #527: Mar 19, 2017 06:59:24 pm
      Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  4m4 minutes ago
      Pep: "Today is one of the proudest days of my managerial career, you cannot even imagine."

Interesting quote from Pep there.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #528: Mar 19, 2017 07:04:19 pm
      Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  4m4 minutes ago
      Pep: "Today is one of the proudest days of my managerial career, you cannot even imagine."

Interesting quote from Pep there.

His lads have just been in a massive game against the biggest club in Europe after being humbled in Monaco, and they survived.  'Course he's proud!  I bet Klopp's equally proud of our lads.

Quick Reply