Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      10 (8.7%)
      Joel Matip
      6 (5.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      63 (54.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Mar 23, 2017 06:31:22 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34717 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Mar 22, 2017 09:34:07 pm
      Kane has scored 21, 25 and 19 league goals so far in the past 3 years, he's no one season wonder.
      I find your reaction to someone saying Kane is a top striker by bringing up Clive Allen and Messi to the discussion quite odd, given you just said a few posts ago that Daniel Sturridge is one.

I'm genuinely amazed that there are still LFC fans banging the Daniel Sturridge drum.  You're not a top striker if you don't play football games.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #645: Mar 22, 2017 09:37:04 pm
      He scored most of them inside the 6 yard box, so not really.
      Again, he was decent, but not top drawer.

I find it odd that you support a premise that says Kane is in the same bracket as Aguerro, Sanchez and Ibrahimovic, but there you go.
      Sturridge when fit and in form is well ahead of Kane in terms of ability.
      The problem is he's always injured.

Then again, I really can't be arsed getting bogged down in these silly semantic games you guys seem to love, so whatever you say, yeah, Kane is the new English Pele.  :roll:

For someone who accuses people of saying "patently false" stuff, you don't half talk sh*t, do you? Bringing Messi and now Pelé into it. All because someone said Harry Kane is a top striker. Whatever.

Anyway, I sure think LFC need a top striker. Preferably one who can get on the pitch more than 20 times a season, and who do not seem to be losing a bit of pace every single year.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #646: Mar 22, 2017 09:39:40 pm
      I'm genuinely amazed that there are still LFC fans banging the Daniel Sturridge drum.  You're not a top striker if you don't play football games.

I love Daniel Sturridge as a player. And I feel sorry for him, instead of getting angry at him for his injury woes as some do.

But we cannot rely on him, and we ought to have known that by now!

There are also some serious reasons to believe he might never be the same player again. He's too fragile and the constant injuries will eventually take its toll, especially as he has always relied on pace
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #647: Mar 22, 2017 09:48:14 pm

I think I've posted enough about what I think are his shortcomings enough times not to be included in that, but in terms of pure ability, Sturridge is ahead of Kane by some margin IMO.

We need a top striker who stays fit, not one who's on the treatment table so often he makes block bookings, and you're right, Sturridge is not that player.

However the fact remains, that he is a genuine top striker, and in terms of pure ability is a lot closer to Aguerro etc than Kane, who to me is just another example of an English player overhyped by the English press.
      He's good, yes, and as he hits his peak, may become very good, but in the same bracket as Aguerro etc?
      Not for me, not even close.

The one thing he does have over Sturridge though is the mental toughness to play with a bit of pain.

It's been an issue for us for many years; we buy good players that lack mental strength, toughness, call it what you will, but also lack football intelligence.
      We've bought too many players who have great ability, but who are lacking in the mental side of the game.
      Markovic I suppose is one of the latest examples; wonderful ability, but a bottler. Not tough enough by half.
      Benteke's problems were between the ears as well.
      In fact I'm sure we could all make a list of players who could have been very good for us, if they had the right attitude/mentality etc

I think the last manager to properly address this was Rafa, and he spoke frequently about it, but also bought players like Masch and Alonso, something we need to start doing again.
      I'm hopeful that we can, because Klopp has also spoken frequently about mentality, mental strength, attitude etc
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #648: Mar 22, 2017 09:49:43 pm
      I love Daniel Sturridge as a player. And I feel sorry for him, instead of getting angry at him for his injury woes as some do.

But we cannot rely on him, and we ought to have known that by now!

There are also some serious reasons to believe he might never be the same player again. He's too fragile and the constant injuries will eventually take its toll, especially as he has always relied on pace

I kind of covered this in the above post, but Klopp spoke about Sturridge needing to learn the difference between a bit of pain and an actual injury.
      I agree with him, and I think like so many players of recent years, the problem is in his head.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #649: Mar 22, 2017 10:05:49 pm
      I doubt most football fans never mind LFC fans would argue that technically Sturridge is a better striker than Kane.
      Unfortunately if you are hardly ever available then that argument becomes slightly mute.

So currently Kane is a better striker because he contributes to his team.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #650: Mar 22, 2017 10:25:47 pm
      I doubt most football fans never mind LFC fans would argue that technically Sturridge is a better striker than Kane.
      Unfortunately if you are hardly ever available then that argument becomes slightly mute.

So currently Kane is a better striker because he contributes to his team.

Good post. Studge wasn't getting a look in long before this latest injury. A nice touch and technical ability is great but unfortunately for us the he has lost his pace and mobility and has completely remodelled his game and it doesn't cut the mustard. As for Kane, whilst he might not be in the Aguero bracket I strongly suspect we'd be comfortably in 2nd spot and challenging Chelsea for the League if he was playing in a red shirt this season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #651: Mar 22, 2017 10:32:36 pm
      Daniel Sturridge Premier League goals:

Current Season: 2
      15/16: 8
      14/15: 4
      13/14: 21
      12/13: 11
      11/12: 11
      10/11: 8
      09/10: 1

That's nearly 8 seasons worth, total goals = 66 or 8 goals a season. Total appearances over those 8 seasons = 158 or an average of 19.75 appearances.

Over those 8 seasons he has a total of 16 assists or 2 per season on average.

The truth really is that he had that one mega season with us, he was made to look an awful lot better playing alongside, for my money, the best player in the world. (Take those numbers out of his portfolio and it becomes pretty bleak reading.)

Flattered to deceive I'm afraid.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #652: Mar 22, 2017 10:40:42 pm
      Daniel Sturridge Premier League goals:

Current Season: 2
      15/16: 8
      14/15: 4
      13/14: 21
      12/13: 11
      11/12: 11
      10/11: 8
      09/10: 1

That's nearly 8 seasons worth, total goals = 66 or 8 goals a season. Total appearances over those 8 seasons = 158 or an average of 19.75 appearances.

Over those 8 seasons he has a total of 16 assists or 2 per season on average.

The truth really is that he had that one mega season with us, he was made to look an awful lot better playing alongside, for my money, the best player in the world. (Take those numbers out of his portfolio and it becomes pretty bleak reading.)

Flattered to deceive I'm afraid.

His goalscoring rate is pretty good even if you take away his best season, I believe. And you need to bear in mind that he hardly ever has a long streak of games - there's always some disruption due to injury here and there, which makes the life of any player much harder. Also quite a few of those appearances are likely not the full 90 mins.

I think he's a great footballer but is just far too injury prone. It is sad to see, and a waste of potential.

The thing is, though, that he always looked good when coming back from an injury, so we would pretty much always play him whenever fit; and the problem now is that he hasn't looked good this season, even when he did play. So it is not unfair to ask if the injuries have finally taken something from his game. There are some stats that show he's continually lost pace, for example.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #653: Mar 22, 2017 10:57:26 pm
      His goalscoring rate is pretty good even if you take away his best season, I believe. And you need to bear in mind that he hardly ever has a long streak of games - there's always some disruption due to injury here and there, which makes the life of any player much harder. Also quite a few of those appearances are likely not the full 90 mins.

I think he's a great footballer but is just far too injury prone. It is sad to see, and a waste of potential.

The thing is, though, that he always looked good when coming back from an injury, so we would pretty much always play him whenever fit; and the problem now is that he hasn't looked good this season, even when he did play. So it is not unfair to ask if the injuries have finally taken something from his game. There are some stats that show he's continually lost pace, for example.

He got 21 in 29 that season. So his numbers would be 129 apps, 45 goals, 9 assists. Pretty bleak that mate.

I do agree he was a great footballer who was robbed of a great career due to a combination of repetitive injuries and a weak constitution in my opinion. I don't believe all those times out he was actually unable to play, sure maybe not to his peak, but even Gerrard is quoted as having to convince him to play against Man U. That is enough for me to be convinced that his heart isn't 100% committed to putting himself on the line and to some extent I understand that.

As for the pace, I think that's been obvious for a long time but there is now plenty of evidence to say it as fact rather than opinion. His sprint speed has progressively decreased and his number of sprints per 90 has also fallen off a cliff.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #654: Mar 22, 2017 11:02:47 pm
      My position is that we need a player who actually plays, and I'm convinced the problem is between his ears.

That said, Sturridge has exceptional ability, and not only has a strikers instinct, but also has an absolute hammer of a left foot with hardly any backlift.
      He has (had? ) pace, trickery, skill, an eye for goal and pretty good football vision.
      IMO, he is a slacker though.
      As Klopp said, he needs to know the difference between a bit of pain and an injury.

I think he could have been a player we remembered, but sadly I think we'll remember him for the wrong reasons, if at all, and that's a sad thing to say about a player of his quality.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #655: Mar 23, 2017 02:57:59 pm
      Kane  :lmao: a top striker and Sturridge (when fit) isn't.

Possibly the most moronic thing I've read this year.

Troll someone else fella, I'm not interested in playing your stupid F***ing games.

What is going on?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #656: Mar 23, 2017 03:08:20 pm
      Clive Allen scored 49 goals in one season for Spurs back in the 80's.
      He wasn't a top striker either.

Kane's good, no doubt about it, but to place him alongside the best strikers in the world is f**king ridiculous, and I think you know it.
      Why not go the whole hog and say he's the new Messi, because that's the only thing more ridiculous than putting him in the same bracket as Aguerro, Sanchez and Ibrahimovic.
      He's just not in that league.

?? In what way is Aguerro or Ibra better than Kane, certainly not in terms of actually scoring goals this season (Kane 19, Ibra 15 and Aguerro 13) or assists (Ibra and Kane both on 4, Aguerro with a big fat 0). I mean considering they all play in the same league at the moment what other measure is there apart from a fancy foreign name? I'll cut Ibra some slack due to his age but in all respects Kane is outperforming Aguerro.

Personally I'd love to have Kane at Liverpool, I think he's a very good striker and could very easily be considered world class.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #657: Mar 24, 2017 07:18:10 am
      Harry Kane is a top striker. You can stop arguing about that one. You don't score that many goals by accident. I'd tear of my right nipple to have him here.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #658: Mar 24, 2017 08:13:35 am
      Harry Kane is a top striker. You can stop arguing about that one. You don't score that many goals by accident. I'd tear of my right nipple to have him here.

Harry Kane is top striker but I still would *not* give my right nipple. No. No way.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #659: Mar 24, 2017 09:16:01 am
      Back on topic please gents.

Out of interest, on the striker theme in this game, do we reckon if we had their striker taking that Lallana chance, would he have finished it?

It was just one of them, wasn't it? 9 times out of ten Lallana would have put that in the back of the net. He'll still be fuming with himself about that missed chance, now.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #660: Mar 24, 2017 10:11:49 am
      Back on topic please gents.

Out of interest, on the striker theme in this game, do we reckon if we had their striker taking that Lallana chance, would he have finished it?

It was just one of them, wasn't it? 9 times out of ten Lallana would have put that in the back of the net. He'll still be fuming with himself about that missed chance, now.

Exactly. Wouldn't say you needed a proper striker to finish that off. Any player, no matter his position should be able to finish that even the local beerbellies down the park, on a Sunday morning should be finishing that.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #661: Mar 25, 2017 12:27:24 am
      Quote from JD
      I never watch a pen when I'm at the ground either.  Never celebrate getting awarded one either.

How do you cope with shoot outs?

I always watch our penalties. Not watching them isn't going to make any difference to whether they're scored or not. You may as well watch them.

I know people do it for the odd penalty, but doing it every time is overkill. Some take it to extremes though. Alan Kennedy against Spurs in 78 was one example. When I asked him directly about it years ago, he said he was nervous. Now anyone can be nervous granted, but I've never been very nervous before a penalty when we've been 5-0 up before. Do people turn their backs for free kicks, corners, goslmouth scrambles, one on ones? I don't think so.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #662: Mar 25, 2017 08:01:14 am
      Can is a beast of a player ? Compared to Lampard ? A great game of football ? Seriously boys ,  aren't we getting carried away ? Made me chuckle anyway .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,951 posts | 8458 
      Reply #663: Mar 25, 2017 06:04:07 pm
      Can is a beast of a player ? Compared to Lampard ? A great game of football ? Seriously boys ,  aren't we getting carried away ? Made me chuckle anyway .

Don't look back in anger I heard them say 8)

Arsed about the mancs now, all about the blueshite next week!

Quick Reply