Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      10 (8.7%)
      Joel Matip
      6 (5.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      63 (54.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Mar 23, 2017 06:31:22 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34705 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Mar 20, 2017 03:39:10 am
      Before I go to sleep, that was a great football match.

That's all.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #576: Mar 20, 2017 04:11:27 am

That's all.

it was.  still wanted three points tho :)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #577: Mar 20, 2017 08:04:18 am
      Cracking hardworking performances all round yesterday; no questioning the commitment. Well in Jürgen and the lads.

Picked between Can and Mane for MoTM with Sadio just shading it. The lad was every F***ing where - immense.  😎
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #578: Mar 20, 2017 08:32:18 am
      Cracking hardworking performances all round yesterday; no questioning the commitment. Well in Jürgen and the lads.

Picked between Can and Mane for MoTM with Sadio just shading it. The lad was every f**king where - immense.  😎

Sadio? Really?

When I heard Neville say it I thought what a daft c**t.

If you're saying it aswell then there's a high chance I'm the daft c**t.

Didn't think he was anywhere near himself if I'm being honest.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #579: Mar 20, 2017 08:49:38 am
      Jaysus... I didn't know that (I watched it on some yank channel ;D).

Watch it again buddy, he was everywhere and as I saw it, our main goal threat.

Still... with the 'world's most knowledgeable' plumping for Can: you can rest easy that it's me and a Neville  (Gary?) who's way off. 😁
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #580: Mar 20, 2017 08:57:25 am
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #581: Mar 20, 2017 09:33:57 am
      Fair enough.

Totally disagree with you on your impression of the game. Thought we created plenty of real chances, many half chances and were right on the brink of splitting them open for much of that second half.
      Awful finishing
      Awful set pieces
      Desperate defending
      Ball constantly given away
      No shots on target in 1st half
      Really high tempo

The last one doesn't cancel out all the others to convince me it was a GREAT game. A great game really ? That word gets used far too easily.

Technical ability was lacking in spades in this game but if Kick n Rush football is what floats your boat then fair enough.
      Super Sunday ? C'mon.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #582: Mar 20, 2017 09:57:48 am
      Awful finishing
      Awful set pieces
      Desperate defending
      Really high tempo

The last one doesn't cancel out all the others to convince me it was a GREAT game. A great game really ? That word gets used far too easily.

Technical ability was lacking in spades in this game but if Kick n Rush football is what floats your boat then fair enough.
      Super Sunday ? C'mon.

It wasn't total football sure but it was a highly entertaining game only the most extreme of cynics would not agree.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #583: Mar 20, 2017 10:08:32 am
      Ratings:

Mignolet: Thought he did well on the day, perhaps could have commanded his box better at times but overall he was solid enough. No chance with their goal and stopped the little sh*te Sterling getting one with a good race out. 6.5/10

Clyne: Awful display from him again. From a positional sense he was totally at sea, never met the crosser, never closed down the passing lanes, he was mostly an irrelevance when it came to their attacks and the fact people actually rate him anything above 5 for that game astounds me. Not effective going forward but it's becoming worse because his defending is now falling to pieces too. Think I saw him make 1 block, 1 good challenge all game. KdB was having a field day on that side, how they never scored with more crosses was much more down to our CB pairing and Mignolet than it was to do with Clyne and this is a big issue. 4/10

Matip: Excellent again, pure quality and he really was the rock the defence needed today to stop us crumbling. While Clyne was running around like a headless chicken and Klavan was desperately trying to put out fires Matip provided that calming influence that stopped the lads boiling over into the erratic. He's a great passer of the ball too and a real threat on our set pieces if we could ever bloody deliver the ball to a decent standard we'd have a good few goals off him every season. 8/10

Klavan: Not as good as his imperious partner but still decent, he just over commits occasionally and sells himself. One time he damn near cost us but both these CBs had to contend with having awful performers either side of them and for that alone deserve tremendous credit. 7/10

Milner: First the positives, the penalty was a thing of beauty, usually don't doubt him on these for a second but today, against Caballero and his old team I thought there might be a chance he'd miss, not a chance at all. 11 straight I think I heard mentioned, so calm and so precise, top pen that. Secondly I have to give credit for the goal saving challenge, now it may have been a pen and a red card but, the big Kim K sized but is that he got away with it and saved a goal. He has to go for the challenge and fair fucks to him for doing so and preventing a goal, on another day we lose a man and concede a pen but for today we rode our look and she was smiling at us. Negatives, dear god will he learn to block a cross too? Relentless pressure from that side and he was danced around so often it was cruel to watch.  Think he blocked 2 out of maybe 10+ crosses from his side and that's thinking on the generous side, not nearly good enough, lost his man so often and really doesn't react to the ball played inside him well at all. Has to be replaced in the summer. 5.5/10

Can: This lad has lost some pounds, he's no longer turning like an oil tanker and is becoming a proper mobile DM. I was massively impressed how he got around the park and dominated City's midfield. He was putting in honest strong challenges time and again where the City players were really feeling the presence and dominance of a player right on top of his game. Deserved the assist for the pen, slip or not beforehand that pass was finding it's target. Pinged one out to the right not long before that and was generally excellent in possession. Really enjoyed powering past players today and it was as if he'd been released from injury because this was Emre of the end of last season, this really was a sight we want to see much more often. Top stuff and clear MotM 8.5/10

Gini: Thought he had an excellent game, loved his control in tight spaces. His passing is becoming quicker and his vision is very good indeed. Just a little bit more care needed near the end of the match when we had a few counters because we had either Mane or Firmino clear on a couple of occasions and he just got the passes slightly wrong, only slightly though. Starting to cement his place in the side in my book. Keep stringing them together Gini. 7.5/10

Lallana: Brave, tenacious, creative and full throttle. Amazed he missed the easiest chance of the game, as Klopp said he's one of the best, if not the best technical player he's ever coached, if he misses this then it's probably more down to tiredness than it is to do with anything else. Real shame because he deserved his goal for another brilliant performance. Hugely impressed with his bravery in the final quarter of the game, picking it up and beating 3 or 4 men right in front of our backline and leading the charge more than once should have resulted in bigger rewards. They'll come, the fact he's willing and able to do that is to his massive credit. 8/10

Coutinho: Dire. Something about his form right now stinks. The only real positive contribution he made was late into the second half when Bobby missed his 'sitter' (you know the one where he had the keeper to beat from a tight angle and got it on target). Didn't press well enough, didn't back Milner up well enough, didn't seem to run hard or far enough. Something is not right with him. 4/10

Mane: Not as good as I think a lot seem to think he was today. Sure he was in and around the action and his pace did scare the living sh*te out of City but what he produced with the chances and opportunities he was given / or created for himself wasn't enough. Possibly should have had a pen for the one he was clear and Otamendi gets his shooting leg, but I don't think the intent was there and really Sadio should have just ran across his man and either bought the pen or just eliminated him from the game. Next he had a chance from virtually the penalty spot which went nowhere and finally a good opportunity flicked on by Bobby which he fails to win the duel. Then on his crossing/creating points he beats his man but beats all our players with passes too. Has to be a little more accurate with the assists and while I think he wasn't off form in terms of ability today it just wasn't happening for him and he cut a frustrated figure at times. 6/10

Bobby: Outstanding both in attack and defence. Those that want to focus only on the 'misses', well you've got issues with watching and appreciated the game in my book. He terrorised City's defence all day long, should have come off the pitch with 3 assists (pens won should be assists in my book), his runs are so intelligent and draw defenders exactly where they don't want and shouldn't go. The amount of space he wins for other players is a joy to behold. I love him even more when people aren't appreciating him too. 8/10

Origi: Didn't influence the game nearly as much as he should have when coming on with fresh legs. Again seemed to be caught on his heels too often by he pass, where he almost gets there with his pace but if he'd have started to run even near top speed he'd have won the race easily. Develop the anticipation too Divock. 5/10

Jürgen: Where Pep was proud, Jürgen was disappointed. I understand where his frustration lies and he explains it well: http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/03/video-Jürgen-klopp-post-match-press-conference-man-city-1-1-liverpool/

Our defending wasn't good enough in the wide areas but he has to take responsibility for that too. How far TAA is away I'm not sure, but by all accounts he's having stormer after stormer for the youth side so I hope not too far away now. In attack I think he got it almost perfect and we should have had 4 or 5 today so gets plenty of credit there too. Also the adaption of our tactics now will have teams second guessing how we're going to play. I expect this theme to continue for a while and someone will very soon get an absolute hammering. 7.5 out of 10.

Just an aside, that puts us on 5wins and 5draws against the top 5 teams, damn impressive that Jürgen, well in!

Agree with most of that, but not with the 4/10 for Clyne. Sane has been on fire for them recently and I thought Clyne kept him pretty quiet. He didn't do too much going forward but defensively he had a good game. Most of their threat came down the other side.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #584: Mar 20, 2017 11:15:11 am
      It wasn't total football sure but it was a highly entertaining game only the most extreme of cynics would not agree.
      Mistakes and sloppy play doesn't entertain me. The tension of a big game can cloud the quality of the actual  football being played.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #585: Mar 20, 2017 11:23:04 am
      Mistakes and sloppy play doesn't entertain me. The tension of a big game can cloud the quality of the actual  football being played.

All this talk of being entertained brings back memories of how apparently poor we were under Rodgers when we did entertain, with SSS up top. At the time, that wasn't good enough, but now... ha

Right now, the importance of being 'entertained' is down there with the prospects of contracting Syphilis.

I bemoaned last week how ordinary Burnley made us look in that turgid affair, but the points were more important than the aesthetics of the game.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #586: Mar 20, 2017 11:25:41 am

That's all.

Always is between us and Man City.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #587: Mar 20, 2017 11:25:47 am
      The little runt  Sterling got his come uppance right on the goal line .

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #588: Mar 20, 2017 11:28:37 am

Still hasn't scored against us has he?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #589: Mar 20, 2017 11:32:38 am

No idea what the commentators were on about with Jimmy fouling him.

I just saw Raheem doing his usual fairy kick  ;)

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #590: Mar 20, 2017 11:34:02 am
      Did anybody notice how when Aguero scored the equalizer it went right past Migs foot. It's like he can't move his foot. No reflexes at all. 1-1 we had more shots on Target.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #591: Mar 20, 2017 11:52:07 am
      Can't believe Toure didn't get a straight red.

https://twitter.com/bigsoccerheadny/status/843506264248389637
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #592: Mar 20, 2017 11:59:15 am

Ref bottled quite a few decision (even from our team too). It would have been interesting to see a 10v10 match and see who would come out on top though.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #593: Mar 20, 2017 01:21:14 pm
      Exciting game...overall i reckon that 1-1 was a fair result.
      We tried hard, were poor in some stages and unlucky in others. With a little more quality, we would have definitely won that.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #594: Mar 20, 2017 01:26:00 pm
      Sadio? Really?

If you're saying it aswell then there's a high chance I'm the daft c**t.

Didn't think he was anywhere near himself if I'm being honest.

just shows you how differently we see the game.
      I voted for Milner, coz he actually saved us with his last ditch defending at times and off course converted the penalty.
      There wasnt really anybody on the pitch who had a standout performance i guess.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #595: Mar 20, 2017 01:27:53 pm
      Awful finishing
      Awful set pieces
      Desperate defending
      Really high tempo

Super Sunday ? C'mon.

I thought it was a brilliant game to watch, so did most other pundits. Was it fault free form both teams, absolutely not, but thats what made it fun and exciting to watch.
      BTW we did have shots on target in the first half, I don't think Citeh did though.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #596: Mar 20, 2017 01:28:32 pm
      If I were FA and I would make sure that ref gets suspended until going through a training programme. Letting players get away with that is dangerous. Lallana is fine, but what is to stop Yaya trying that again to another player next week now he got away with it today?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #597: Mar 20, 2017 01:29:15 pm
      Good game, we could played better, we could have lost, we could have won.

In the end a draw was fair.

The man lallana will have nightmares about his miss for ever. :-(

Quick Reply