Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      10 (8.7%)
      Joel Matip
      6 (5.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      63 (54.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Mar 23, 2017 06:31:22 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34698 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Mar 20, 2017 01:29:49 pm
      Did anybody notice how when Aguero scored the equalizer it went right past Migs foot. It's like he can't move his foot. No reflexes at all. 1-1 we had more shots on Target.

Oh come on now, there is no goalie in the world who could have saved a point blank shot like that, do you think Migs or any other human's reflexes work in hundreds of a second??
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #599: Mar 20, 2017 02:01:23 pm

Totally agree with that. He left his boot high on purpose. It was reckless at best.

But I'm inclined to believe it was cynical...

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #600: Mar 20, 2017 02:05:27 pm
      The more I see from Mig the less I want another goalie. He's not Manuel Neuer, but within the class behind. I doubt we can get a better goalkeeper on the market. No more experiments needed there, Jürgen, stay with Mig and rather improve the defense and midfield.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #601: Mar 20, 2017 02:12:13 pm
      I thought it was a brilliant game to watch, so did most other pundits. Was it fault free form both teams, absolutely not, but thats what made it fun and exciting to watch.
      BTW we did have shots on target in the first half, I don't think Citeh did though.
      You're right Lallana had a shot saved.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #602: Mar 20, 2017 03:06:49 pm
      The more I see from Mig the less I want another goalie. He's not Manuel Neuer, but within the class behind. I doubt we can get a better goalkeeper on the market. No more experiments needed there, Jürgen, stay with Mig and rather improve the defense and midfield.

Steady on fella, I know he has been a lot better recently but nowhere near in the class behind Neuer.

His distribution stinks, commanding of the box is none existent and he's still sh*t at attacking any high ball into the box.

He is just going through one of his patches where everyone thinks he's turned a bit of a corner.

He'll be back to the same old Migs soon.

Deffo need a new keeper if we are serious about winning most of our matches in the future.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #603: Mar 20, 2017 05:59:52 pm

If the FA had any credibility whatever that referee would running up and down the pitch with a white flag till further notice, he should then be made to retake his refereeing test.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #604: Mar 20, 2017 06:45:04 pm
      I think the ref gave him (Toure) the benefit of the doubt that he was going for the ball and there was no malice intended.

I think it was assault.

What a game that was though. F***ing nerves were gone. Must have been boss for the neutral.

Probably a fair result. If only Lallana would have took that chance.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #605: Mar 20, 2017 06:56:45 pm
      Can had been putting himself about a lot and I felt Yaya wanted a bit of payback. In the end what he did to him in terms of actual contact it wasn't too bad, thought a yellow was probably a fair call. He didn't intend to injure him but assert a bit of dominance and inflict a bit of pain for sure.

As it was it didn't deter Emre who continued to perform to a high standard and continued to impose himself on the City midfield to the point Yaya looked knackered going off.

Just really hope we see the same Emre for the rest o the season, would massively improve our top 4 chances.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #606: Mar 20, 2017 07:31:09 pm
      There's no doubt in my mind at all that Can has it within his capabilities to become a really top player, a beast of a midfielder. That's not an "Origi might become World class" kind of statement either, he's actually shown at various stages that he has every tool needed, it's just putting it together. He's powerful, strong, hits a good pass, can get around the pitch, has pace, is good in the air, a good shot on him off both feet etc etc, it just seems to me that he at the moment lacks either the confidence or the desire to really impose himself on games.

He ought to be going up against the likes of Xaka and Matic and thinking to himself "these c**** have got no business being on the same pitch as me" and in many ways they haven't, because in terms of pure natural raw ability he's got more than either. It's just that extra step, but unfortunately many players aren't able for whatever reason to take it. As it stands, for me Henderson is in front of him as the holder so Emre better start thinking carefully about what sort of player he wants to be. Can he become a goalscoring midfielder who gets up and down, scores with both feet and headers, with a good pass on him (think Frank Lampard) and I think he can. Whether he will get anywhere near that level really depends on what's holding his ears apart, but while in natural ability he would be up there with the ex Chelsea man, in the desire to maximise his abilities he may be found seriously wanting, we'll see.

Obviously I didn't include a comparison to Stevie, that would be being silly.       
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #607: Mar 20, 2017 08:01:42 pm
      I'm hoping we are finally starting to see the real Emre Can, I'm not sure who that other bloke was but this fella has the potential to be right up there with the top midfield players, anywhere,
      Whatever was holding him back has hopefully gone, I'm thinking it's the run of games since Hendo's latest set back, the confidence he got from scoring against Burnley is immeasurable, he doesn't seem as cumbersome, like the shackles have been removed, I f***in hope so cos we have a beast of a player and one who can dominate our central areas for years, he's still only 22, I believe so plenty of time for him to get even better.

Keep it up Emre

YNWA
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #608: Mar 20, 2017 08:04:20 pm
      There's no doubt in my mind at all that Can has it within his capabilities to become a really top player, a beast of a midfielder. That's not an "Origi might become World class" kind of statement either, he's actually shown at various stages that he has every tool needed, it's just putting it together.

Can he become a goalscoring midfielder who gets up and down, scores with both feet and headers, with a good pass on him (think Frank Lampard) and I think he can. Whether he will get anywhere near that level really depends on what's holding his ears apart, but while in natural ability he would be up there with the ex Chelsea man, in the desire to maximise his abilities he may be found seriously wanting, we'll see.

What's the difference between this and mine and heimdall's comment on Origi in which you were slating?

"Better than Lukaku", "can become World class"? Tell you what, we've got a right f****** player on our hands here haven't we?

Just so I don't get so excited that I'll pop, when do we think this transformation is likely to take place? Equally, thank f*** the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern aren't aware of it, he'd be stolen from us for 50 million quid before it happens in the blink of an eye.

Thankfully it appears their scouts are as clueless as me, they just think he's a big, raw kid who may or may not one day become a good player. They think he isn't anything particularly special, the silly c****

Can for Origi and Lampard for Lukaku, there is my reply ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #609: Mar 20, 2017 08:04:35 pm
      There's no doubt in my mind at all that Can has it within his capabilities to become a really top player, a beast of a midfielder. That's not an "Origi might become World class" kind of statement either, he's actually shown at various stages that he has every tool needed, it's just putting it together. He's powerful, strong, hits a good pass, can get around the pitch, has pace, is good in the air, a good shot on him off both feet etc etc, it just seems to me that he at the moment lacks either the confidence or the desire to really impose himself on games.

He ought to be going up against the likes of Xaka and Matic and thinking to himself "these c**** have got no business being on the same pitch as me" and in many ways they haven't, because in terms of pure natural raw ability he's got more than either. It's just that extra step, but unfortunately many players aren't able for whatever reason to take it. As it stands, for me Henderson is in front of him as the holder so Emre better start thinking carefully about what sort of player he wants to be. Can he become a goalscoring midfielder who gets up and down, scores with both feet and headers, with a good pass on him (think Frank Lampard) and I think he can. Whether he will get anywhere near that level really depends on what's holding his ears apart, but while in natural ability he would be up there with the ex Chelsea man, in the desire to maximise his abilities he may be found seriously wanting, we'll see.

Indeed Mick, a lot of us were involved in the discussion when he first arrived and I thought he had the potential to be a Viera/Toure Type. That's a Toure of a few years ago too, not the one we saw yesterday and there's no doubt he has the talent that's why at the end of last season I was really looking forward to him coming on even more this year and I get the feeling Jürgen was too.

Now whether it's due to the calf injury or the knock on effect of playing an enormous amount of games last year (he was involved in more minutes than any player of his age group as I remember) but something just hadn't happened for him this season at all until a few games ago. I noticed he'd start slowly and then work into the games finishing them really strong. Did that on a few occasions and then yesterday he was like that almost from the first few minutes.

What I noticed more than anything yesterday though was that he'd lost that huge acceleration time and seemed to get to high speed much quicker. Not just passing the likes of Toure who is clearly slow now but all of the City players he looked to have at least a yard on them and indeed that yard was gained early on. That is a huge improvement in his game and his physique looked less tank-like and more streamlined. I'm convinced he's been working hard on this and the calf problem has been holding him back because that just doesn't happen over night.

If we could have that same player for even 80% of the games I'd give him the position for the next 10 years, that is exactly the type of player we need. Dominant, aggressive and as you say with a good shot and a very good pass on him. Adding to that the ability to burst past a player and commit the 'correct' fouls. Those ones high up the pitch that any deeper would get you a yellow are fouls that infuriate me against us but we all know they're clever fouls and Emre did a couple yesterday that just earns an nod of appreciation. Really looking forward to his next game, hope he can at least put in a comparable shift.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #610: Mar 20, 2017 08:06:43 pm

I actually think "Can has the same level of natural ability as Frank Lampard" is probably just as silly as "Origi will become world class" to be honest :D
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #611: Mar 20, 2017 08:10:46 pm
      I'm hoping we are finally starting to see the real Emre Can, I'm not sure who that other bloke was but this fella has the potential to be right up there with the top midfield players, anywhere,
      Whatever was holding him back has hopefully gone, I'm thinking it's the run of games since Hendo's latest set back, the confidence he got from scoring against Burnley is immeasurable, he doesn't seem as cumbersome, like the shackles have been removed, I f***in hope so cos we have a beast of a player and one who can dominate our central areas for years, he's still only 22, I believe so plenty of time for him to get even better.

Keep it up Emre

YNWA

He's coming good when we need him too.
      When he plays alongside Henderson it's almost like a Gerrard and Lampard situation, both good on their own but can't play together.
      It's the same when Henderson takes that central role and Can's on the bench.

If he can take that fire in his belly into the derby I'll be well happy.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #612: Mar 20, 2017 08:11:02 pm
      I actually think "Can has the same level of natural ability as Frank Lampard" is probably just as silly as "Origi will become world class" to be honest :D

And I am curious to know who said Origi will become world class and is better than Lukaku. Seems like Bigmick just likes to put words into people's mouths.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #613: Mar 20, 2017 08:19:08 pm
      Lets not yank each others chain just yet on Can been woeful in a lot of games now if thats due to carrying then fair enough but will take more than yesterday or last game to convince me. Think he has something but I feel its going forward rather than defending
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #614: Mar 20, 2017 10:25:39 pm
      Hope we start seeing more of these performances from Can, was so much better!

1-1 was probably a fair result, they had some good chances they should have scored, we had some good chances we should have scored and the overall balance of the game was pretty much even.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #615: Mar 20, 2017 11:51:19 pm
      Everyone getting a bit carried away for me. We have a habit of doing this with our CMs. Week after week they give us 6/10, maybe the odd 7/10 and then they pull an 8/10 outta the hat and all of a sudden they are coming good, or they are proving everybody wrong or whatever. Heard it about Hendo countless times, plenty said it about Milner last season and the same has applied to Lucas over the years. I think back to Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano and have to wonder at what point did we all collectively lower our expectations of what is needed in the middle of the park? Our lads are all 7 out of tenners, now and then one of them steps up and delivers something better but we are desperately in need of a truly quality player and that player isn't on the books right now.

Can did pretty good yesterday, he didn't look as slow on the ball or short of pace or as slow on the turn as he often does but it's worth remembering he was up against old man Toure & De Bruyne (playing massively out of position imho) in the middle of the pitch. He had a good game but I kept reading the plaudits for the lad on here and thought 'did I just not notice, or did I miss it?'.

Every touch of Emre Can (below). Might be worth watching again for some of you.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqyUaewDn-0

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #616: Mar 21, 2017 12:24:56 am
      Before the game, I thought with the extra rest we had going into it, and the fact they were feeling sorry for themselves after going out of Europe, they would be there for the taking. On the day itself, I missed the first half hour, and by the looks of things, the team didn't turn up for half an hour either. By the time I did get to see it, neither side had a shot on target in half an hour. I wouldn't say it was enthralling entertainment the rest of the day. It was a slugfest where the finishing and defending from both sides was a shocking standard for this level, so you can see why both sides are way behind the leaders.

Credit to James for the penalty. His penalty record is top notch, so unlike Klopp I never doubted he would put it in, and he took it very well. At the time live, I thought he had timed his challenge perfectly to stop a tap in before half time, while when the ball dropped to Lallana at first, I thought he would be offside. It seemed he thought it as well. He still should have scored anyway, and probably would if we were winning 4-1 as we were last year.

Hard to know whether it was a point won or not, while we could have won, we were also hanging on towards the end. But it's 6 games unbeaten now against them, so competing against them is no problem on the pitch, despite the considerable gap in financial resources. It's the clubs who spend fractions of our budget who we have trouble against.

We're next in to bat in the derby, and with those below us having 2-3 games in hand after it, three points is essential to keep them in their place.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #617: Mar 21, 2017 12:30:37 am
      so unlike Klopp I never doubted he would put it in

What the hell are you on about?! Why would Klopp have doubted him? Because he turned around? like he does on virtually every penalty, lots of managers do it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #618: Mar 21, 2017 08:08:11 am
      If the FA had any credibility whatever that referee would running up and down the pitch with a white flag till further notice, he should then be made to retake his refereeing test.

Just heard the REF got his qualifications on the internet for 5 quid.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #619: Mar 21, 2017 08:09:53 am
      What the hell are you on about?! Why would Klopp have doubted him? Because he turned around? like he does on virtually every penalty, lots of managers do it.

As do lots of supporters,think back to Istanbul for instance.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #620: Mar 21, 2017 08:16:11 am
      Just heard the REF got his qualifications on the internet for 5 quid.

His dad was a league ref so the old adage of it is not what you know springs to mind

Quick Reply