Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      10 (8.7%)
      Joel Matip
      6 (5.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      63 (54.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: Mar 23, 2017 06:31:22 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34719 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Mar 21, 2017 12:11:09 pm
      ''Michael Oliver will not want to review this game in a hurry. His calamitous, mistake ridden performance at the Etihad Stadium in keeping with a troubled week for the official, that underlined why he is not on the EUFA elite panel of referees''.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/19/michael-oliver-calamitous-man-city-mistake-ridden-performance/
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2017 02:45:06 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #622: Mar 21, 2017 04:08:04 pm
      Before the game, I thought with the extra rest we had going into it, and the fact they were feeling sorry for themselves after going out of Europe, they would be there for the taking. On the day itself, I missed the first half hour, and by the looks of things, the team didn't turn up for half an hour either. By the time I did get to see it, neither side had a shot on target in half an hour. I wouldn't say it was enthralling entertainment the rest of the day. It was a slugfest where the finishing and defending from both sides was a shocking standard for this level, so you can see why both sides are way behind the leaders.

Credit to James for the penalty. His penalty record is top notch, so unlike Klopp I never doubted he would put it in, and he took it very well. At the time live, I thought he had timed his challenge perfectly to stop a tap in before half time, while when the ball dropped to Lallana at first, I thought he would be offside. It seemed he thought it as well. He still should have scored anyway, and probably would if we were winning 4-1 as we were last year.

Hard to know whether it was a point won or not, while we could have won, we were also hanging on towards the end. But it's 6 games unbeaten now against them, so competing against them is no problem on the pitch, despite the considerable gap in financial resources. It's the clubs who spend fractions of our budget who we have trouble against.

We're next in to bat in the derby, and with those below us having 2-3 games in hand after it, three points is essential to keep them in their place.

The f**k you on about you utter tool?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #623: Mar 21, 2017 04:16:53 pm
      As do lots of supporters,think back to Istanbul for instance.

I never watch a pen when I'm at the ground either.  Never celebrate getting awarded one either.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #624: Mar 21, 2017 04:32:09 pm
      ''A top striker would have killed City off - we need to spend big to get one'' - John Aldridge.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aldo-liverpools-city-thriller-shows-12771226

Somebody has noticed.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #625: Mar 21, 2017 05:13:11 pm
      ''A top striker would have killed City off - we need to spend big to get one'' - John Aldridge.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aldo-liverpools-city-thriller-shows-12771226

Somebody has noticed.

Same could be said of City killing us off, either team could have scored 4-5 with the chances they both had.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #626: Mar 21, 2017 05:25:49 pm
      I never watch a pen when I'm at the ground either.  Never celebrate getting awarded one either.

And here was me thinking it was just me  :laugh:

Even at home I go out of the room when we have a pen.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #627: Mar 21, 2017 05:27:48 pm
      Same could be said of City killing us off, either team could have scored 4-5 with the chances they both had.

We have a top striker.
      Trouble is, he's made of glass.
      We also have a pretty good backup, also injured.

So I'm not sure where people (not you AZ) are getting this "we have no top striker" nonsense from.
      We have no fit top striker.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #628: Mar 21, 2017 05:45:01 pm

Is correct mate but if we had a sh*t hot striker who would have been where Lallana was for instance, they would have sunk that ball - Jesus I would have got that.
      Saw the whole game and think the chances we had far outweighed their opportunities, they only had the upper-hand for the last half-hour.

It's the same story when the opposition make a game of it, we press and take the lead only to be pushed back and hanging on at the end.
      When Citeh equalised that was the cue for the everyone behind the ball scenario, we haven't got a hit-man to take 2 or three of their men out in marking the threat a la Suarez or even Stirling to an extent.

There are other frailties not addressed and we will continue to get the arse bitten out of us while the obvious is ignored.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #629: Mar 21, 2017 05:58:20 pm

I never watch a penalty (to us) ever. That's something I've got going for many years. I'd say it's the only superstition I have in life, or maybe I'm just too weak/nervous to watch
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #630: Mar 21, 2017 06:48:14 pm

I suppose that is true, but over the clurse of a 38 gane season give me him 1 on 1 over with the keeper over Firmino any day.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #631: Mar 21, 2017 06:55:23 pm
      We have a top striker.
      Trouble is, he's made of glass.
      We also have a pretty good backup, also injured.

So I'm not sure where people (not you AZ) are getting this "we have no top striker" nonsense from.
      We have no fit top striker.

Well is that ever going to change? Would ou really advocate going into next season with Sturridge as the leader of the strike force and Ings as his deputy?

People who say we have no striker are fully aware of our squad, but considering when he is fit he sits on the bench and Klopp chooses to play with a midfielder as the striker, I think it's fair to say we are in need of a striker.

Had this argument when we were second and steamrollering a few. Fact was we were killing teams and wasting chances but still winning. The problem was always going to be when teams worked us out a little, in the close games when you get only a couple of chances and the man tasked with scoring was Firmino.

He doesn't have the finishing prowess of a medium/top level striker. He can't stay there in the long run. The odds caught up with us.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #632: Mar 21, 2017 07:30:43 pm
      Well is that ever going to change? Would ou really advocate going into next season with Sturridge as the leader of the strike force and Ings as his deputy?

People who say we have no striker are fully aware of our squad, but considering when he is fit he sits on the bench and Klopp chooses to play with a midfielder as the striker, I think it's fair to say we are in need of a striker.

Had this argument when we were second and steamrollering a few. Fact was we were killing teams and wasting chances but still winning. The problem was always going to be when teams worked us out a little, in the close games when you get only a couple of chances and the man tasked with scoring was Firmino.

He doesn't have the finishing prowess of a medium/top level striker. He can't stay there in the long run. The odds caught up with us.

We have strikers, and they are injured, so to say we have "no top striker" is patently false.

I don't advocate anything, just pointing out a simple truth.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #633: Mar 21, 2017 07:51:24 pm
      Is correct mate but if we had a sh*t hot striker who would have been where Lallana was for instance, they would have sunk that ball - Jesus I would have got that.
      Saw the whole game and think the chances we had far outweighed their opportunities, they only had the upper-hand for the last half-hour.

It's the same story when the opposition make a game of it, we press and take the lead only to be pushed back and hanging on at the end.
      When Citeh equalised that was the cue for the everyone behind the ball scenario, we haven't got a hit-man to take 2 or three of their men out in marking the threat a la Suarez or even Stirling to an extent.

There are other frailties not addressed and we will continue to get the arse bitten out of us while the obvious is ignored.

Good Post Stu .

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #634: Mar 22, 2017 12:26:54 am
      tbh thought a tie was a fair result.  i was watching the game with my mate and that first half we couldve been down by at least a couple goals. they missed some sitters as well

I really do wish we had won.  a tie definitely hurts us more than city so now we will have to rely on other teams to do the job for us

ironically with the run in, had we not messed up jan so hard, we definitely could be looking down at the table
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #635: Mar 22, 2017 06:13:46 am

Somebody has noticed.

Bit slow there John with that observation.

F**k, what I'd do now for a player with a muzzy feeding in and around the box.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #636: Mar 22, 2017 11:34:45 am
      Bit slow there John with that observation.

F**k, what I'd do now for a player with a muzzy feeding in and around the box.

He was a good fisherman too, used to pull them out like there was no tomorrow when he lived near us.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #637: Mar 22, 2017 03:51:04 pm
      We have strikers, and they are injured, so to say we have "no top striker" is patently false.

I don't advocate anything, just pointing out a simple truth.

Don't know why you get all judge and jury with all your talk of lies, falsehoods and all that sh*t. Just my opinion, I believe Sturridge is finished, his pace has gone, his fitness is as poor as ever, his goals have dried up.

Nothing patetly false about it in my view, we don't have a top striker.

I'm thinking Kane, Costa, Zlatan, Aguero and the modified Sanchez. Sturridge doesn't come in to the argument any more, even when he can get on the pitch.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #638: Mar 22, 2017 08:34:11 pm
      Don't know why you get all judge and jury with all your talk of lies, falsehoods and all that sh*t. Just my opinion, I believe Sturridge is finished, his pace has gone, his fitness is as poor as ever, his goals have dried up.

Nothing patetly false about it in my view, we don't have a top striker.

I'm thinking Kane, Costa, Zlatan, Aguero and the modified Sanchez. Sturridge doesn't come in to the argument any more, even when he can get on the pitch.

Kane  :lmao: a top striker and Sturridge (when fit) isn't.

Possibly the most moronic thing I've read this year.

Troll someone else fella, I'm not interested in playing your stupid F***ing games.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #639: Mar 22, 2017 08:49:13 pm
      Kane  :lmao: a top striker and Sturridge (when fit) isn't.

Possibly the most moronic thing I've read this year.

Troll someone else fella, I'm not interested in playing your stupid f**king games.

Kane has 19 goals in 22 league games. I would love to have a top :lmao: striker like this.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #640: Mar 22, 2017 09:07:14 pm
      Kane has 19 goals in 22 league games. I would love to have a top :lmao: striker like this.

Clive Allen scored 49 goals in one season for Spurs back in the 80's.
      He wasn't a top striker either.

Kane's good, no doubt about it, but to place him alongside the best strikers in the world is F***ing ridiculous, and I think you know it.
      Why not go the whole hog and say he's the new Messi, because that's the only thing more ridiculous than putting him in the same bracket as Aguerro, Sanchez and Ibrahimovic.
      He's just not in that league.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #641: Mar 22, 2017 09:18:54 pm

Bet he was that season.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #642: Mar 22, 2017 09:27:24 pm

Kane's good, no doubt about it, but to place him alongside the best strikers in the world is f**king ridiculous, and I think you know it.
      Why not go the whole hog and say he's the new Messi, because that's the only thing more ridiculous than putting him in the same bracket as Aguerro, Sanchez and Ibrahimovic.
      He's just not in that league.

Kane has scored 21, 25 and 19 league goals so far in the past 3 years, he's no one season wonder.
      I find your reaction to someone saying Kane is a top striker by bringing up Clive Allen and Messi to the discussion quite odd, given you just said a few posts ago that Daniel Sturridge is one.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #643: Mar 22, 2017 09:32:32 pm

He scored most of them inside the 6 yard box, so not really.
      Again, he was decent, but not top drawer.

Kane has scored 21, 25 and 19 league goals so far in the past 3 years, he's no one season wonder.
      I find your reaction to someone saying Kane is a top striker by bringing up Clive Allen and Messi to the discussion quite odd, given you just said a few posts ago that Daniel Sturridge is one.

I find it odd that you support a premise that says Kane is in the same bracket as Aguerro, Sanchez and Ibrahimovic, but there you go.
      Sturridge when fit and in form is well ahead of Kane in terms of ability.
      The problem is he's always injured.

Then again, I really can't be arsed getting bogged down in these silly semantic games you guys seem to love, so whatever you say, yeah, Kane is the new English Pele.  :roll:

Quick Reply