Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Mamadou Sakho to Crystal Palace

Read 51272 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Mamadou Sakho to (Southampton)
      Reply #69: Apr 11, 2017 05:43:18 pm
      It's not for sure at all. Despite a few good games, Sakho hardly set the world alight playing for us. We were no better off than what we are now. can't say we will never know if we would have been better off with him but certainly wouldn't have been worse off because for all we know we might have been worse off. It's a situation that hasn't happened so there's no point ruling one out but not the other.

I'm not fussed how he's getting on at Palace because there is a massive difference in how they play to how we do. They have 6 at back virtually since Fat Sam took over and it's a well balanced 6. There is more cover for Sakho or one of the others if someone cocks up. It's completely different to how we play, we won't be playing 6 at the back but maybe Sakho is much more suited to a team that plays like that as opposed to how we play. His role is completely different to how he would have been expected to play for us.

I think he was better for us than people give him credit for. I heard on lot of occasions about how poor he was on the ball, when in fact the opposite was true.
      Maybe he'll talk to Klopp and come to an agreement on how he'll be expected to behave, although he should've already known this to be honest.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #70: Apr 11, 2017 05:55:46 pm
      I think he was better for us than people give him credit for. I heard on lot of occasions about how poor he was on the ball, when in fact the opposite was true.
      Maybe he'll talk to Klopp and come to an agreement on how he'll be expected to behave, although he should've already known this to be honest.

I agree, he was better on the ball than what people seemed to think. But in terms of defending, he didn't show anything to suggest he is going to be top class.
      For me, it's basically a case of if he stays then he stays, I haven't got a problem with that but at the same time, not bothered in the slightest if he goes.
      Klopp is a winner, if Sakho was top class or showed that he could be then I don't think Klopp would have washed his hands of him. But for him to have been completely forgotten about, he must have crossed the line on more than the odd occasion and whilst not having shown anything to suggest he has what it takes to be top class, why would Klopp then take the risk of wasting his time on a player that's got an attitude problem and doesn't actually look anything special.

Also, I don't think there has been a single player from the club comment on Sakho's potential ability or current ability which kind of tells me that they don't feel they are any worse off without him. Particularly the likes of Hendo or Milner who you would expect to say to Klopp if they feel some sort of resolution should be sorted in order to benefit from Sakho being a Liverpool player.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #71: Apr 11, 2017 06:46:02 pm
      Particularly the likes of Hendo or Milner who you would expect to say to Klopp if they feel some sort of resolution should be sorted in order to benefit from Sakho being a Liverpool player.

To be honest we don't know what's being said behind closed doors, all we truly know is that there will be some kind of resolution in the summer which could be he's sold, he goes back on loan, he stays, anything else is merely speculation.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #72: Apr 11, 2017 07:19:18 pm
      anything else is merely speculation

Haven't said otherwise. Just gave my opinion on what could be, that's all.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #73: Apr 11, 2017 07:28:08 pm
      Would keep him and try out a partnership with Matip, they seem perfect for each other tbh. Matip the calm composed defender leading the line and Sakho the one putting his body on the line and leading through his physicality.

Not saying it would definitely work, but worth trying it and keeping Lovren and Klavan. Have four experienced CB's with Joe Gomez fighting his way for a place.

Would rather see a new LB and GK than a new CB in all honesty.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #74: Apr 12, 2017 04:12:34 pm
      There are very few real defenders around these days, players whose instinct is to protect and put their body on the line.
      Add to that the current fashion for playing it out from the back (for the top sides), and what you get is players who are footballers first and defenders second, who lack that instinct the best defenders had in the past.

Sakho is a good defender and a much better footballer than some give him credit for, and although I think we would be better with him than without him, Klopp is the one who makes the decision, and I'm more than happy to defer to his judgement.

I agree with your statement to a degree, but for me, Sakho is a keeper (and I don't mean a goalie 😜).

For me, Klopp is wrong on this one...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #75: Apr 12, 2017 04:13:24 pm
      Would keep him and try out a partnership with Matip, they seem perfect for each other tbh. Matip the calm composed defender leading the line and Sakho the one putting his body on the line and leading through his physicality.

Not saying it would definitely work, but worth trying it and keeping Lovren and Klavan. Have four experienced CB's with Joe Gomez fighting his way for a place.

Keep Klavan? Really??

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #76: Apr 12, 2017 04:16:13 pm
      Sakho to Southampton and we get Vander Valk jik (whatever his name is).
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #77: Apr 12, 2017 04:27:12 pm
      Really couldn't care less what is happening with the chavs or Sakho.

Klopp is the man, and will buy another class CB this summer to supplement ours and a better LB as well.

Probably players we have never heard off from the German league. ;-)

Like Klavan you mean?

SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #78: Apr 12, 2017 05:04:09 pm
      There are very few real defenders around these days, players whose instinct is to protect and put their body on the line.
      Add to that the current fashion for playing it out from the back (for the top sides), and what you get is players who are footballers first and defenders second, who lack that instinct the best defenders had in the past.

Sakho is a good defender and a much better footballer than some give him credit for, and although I think we would be better with him than without him, Klopp is the one who makes the decision, and I'm more than happy to defer to his judgement.

Very  true Swab - I'm old school I want a defender to defend and throw his body on the line and be aggressive with a never say die attitude.

Give me one of these over a ball playing centre half any day of the week.

An Adams or Terry type of player every time for me.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #79: Apr 12, 2017 08:14:52 pm
      This is something I don't get when I see "he deserves a second chance". He's had about 6 and he still decides to run his mouth to whoever will listen on bloody Twitter and and in interviews whilst protesting his innocence. I find it seriously hard to believe that Klopp would do all this to a player who has done nothing wrong.

I like him as a player in regards to how good he is on the ball for a defender and how dominant he can be at times but let's not forget how bad he was in some games for us. If Klopp gives him yet another chance then I'll welcome him back but if Klopp decides to sell him then I'll support that decision.

Pretty much where I'm at.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #80: Apr 12, 2017 08:22:52 pm

Yeah, kind of hoping to see you change your name to 'vmilneratleftback' if I'm honest.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #81: Apr 12, 2017 08:58:50 pm
      I wonder how Klopp would've handled the Suarez situations, would he have stood by him like Kenny and risk the Wrath of FSG?, or would he have shipped him out? I honestly don't know.
      I really hope they're a way back for Mama, otherwise we are going to need to find a replacement of much better quality than Lovren and Klavan. Only Jürgen knows what his plans are, and I'll trust his decision.

I believe Klopp would have handled them better, much better.

Suarez's problems arose from on the pitch incidents, his work ethic was spot on, as we saw in his last season, Sakho's problems are off the pitch, something being a German, Klopp will not stand for.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #82: Apr 12, 2017 09:12:17 pm
      Suarez's problems arose from on the pitch incidents, his work ethic was spot on, as we saw in his last season, Sakho's problems are off the pitch, something being a German, Klopp will not stand for
      Can't agree, his nationality has NOTHING to do with his tolerance level. Additionally, I think Klopp would not have stood for the Evra incident or when Suarez took Liverpool to court to try and force a move to Arsenal.. both incidents were off the ball and MUCH worse than anything Sakho did, you can argue Evra was on the pitch but the court was not. Not to open up the Suarez thing but people only defended him because he was our player, if the boot was on the other foot and somebody said that to Sturridge or Origi, I am pretty sure our fans would be outraged. This incident, although Kenny denies it being the nice guy he is, could be what cost him his job here in the second run. I doubt a few Snapchat tweets or the Sakho substance abuse he was found innocent of would cost Klopp his job. Lets be clear on this, Suarez was found guilty but Sakho was found innocent.

Since people want to make such comparisons to Suarez they should abstain from judging it on football talent, but what players did.

Suarez
      • Evra incident
      • Biting
      • Court

Sakho
      • Substance
      • Snapchat
      • Late for training

No brainer which one is worse, yet people would take Suarez back in a heartbeart, so why not Sakho? I for one think Sakho is welcome at Liverpool until the time he tries to move to a rival club by taking Liverpool to court.
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017 09:37:47 pm by Ribapuru »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #83: Apr 12, 2017 10:06:56 pm
      Can't agree, his nationality has NOTHING to do with his tolerance level. Additionally, I think Klopp would not have stood for the Evra incident or when Suarez took Liverpool to court to try and force a move to Arsenal.. both incidents were off the ball and MUCH worse than anything Sakho did, you can argue Evra was on the pitch but the court was not. Not to open up the Suarez thing but people only defended him because he was our player, if the boot was on the other foot and somebody said that to Sturridge or Origi, I am pretty sure our fans would be outraged. This incident, although Kenny denies it being the nice guy he is, could be what cost him his job here in the second run. I doubt a few Snapchat tweets or the Sakho substance abuse he was found innocent of would cost Klopp his job. Lets be clear on this, Suarez was found guilty but Sakho was found innocent.

Since people want to make such comparisons to Suarez they should abstain from judging it on football talent, but what players did.

Suarez
      • Evra incident
      • Biting
      • Court

Sakho
      • Substance
      • Snapchat
      • Late for training

No brainer which one is worse, yet people would take Suarez back in a heartbeart, so why not Sakho? I for one think Sakho is welcome at Liverpool until the time he tries to move to a rival club by taking Liverpool to court.

You're MISSING the point. See I can use capitals too.

Sakho's off the field antics have quite obviously pissed Klopp off, just because he is now playing well for Palace is irrelevant, he played well for us too, it's the fact he seems to be a disruptive influence to Klopp's work ethic, something I believe is to do with the fact he is German, a culture of you are here to work and not piss around, something we British are lacking.

That same work ethic is something Suarez showed, despite him knowing he was leaving, in his last season he tried his best in all of his games, never hid, never went missing, always giving 100%.

I was not talking about the types of incidents, but the areas of work they occurred.

But hey...

The biting was obviously an issue he has in his psyche, and that is wrong, but the Evra incident as you call it, we will never know what exactly was going through his, Suarez's, mind, as it could be just lost in translation, we will never know, and quite frankly I don't care, footballers kick seven belts of sh*t out of each other, but that type of actual bobbly harm is deemed to be acceptable.

What type of society do we have where name calling, because rightly or wrongly, that is what it is in its rawest form, holds a greater punishment than actual physical violence/assault.

Now, as I said, I believe Klopp would have handled it differently, I feel he would have kept his mouth shut, as did Ferguson, something that Dalglish didn't, and someone who has met the great man, he does like to talk, a lot. This I feel went against him, plus the fact that the club were shocking in their efforts to defend their employee, as he was pleading innocent, they should have gone in with the big guns, as usual we fu**ed up. Klopp I believe would not have allowed this to happen.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #84: Apr 12, 2017 10:34:35 pm
      I think that Sakho is one of the best defenders in the league.  But do I think he can improve our team??  Not sure. Not sure at all. The problem which lets down Sakho is his injury problems.  He has struggled to put in a dozen or so games in a row.  He is in for a few games and then out.  Which is definitely one of our problems.  We have Matip who  is having his own share of injuries and Lovren is the same.  We are constantly chopping and changing the pair.  Klavan, Lucas, Can.....etc.   We need a consistent pairing that will massively improve our defence.  For me there are 3 things that weaken our defence.  We have a bag of nerves in goal not only nervous himself but promotes anxiety to the entire back line.  We have our constant chopping and changing in centre half partnerships and we don't have a solid real defense midfielder.  We really need to at least solve two of these problems in the summer. 

I think if he plays all the games till the end without injuries.  I think there is a good chance the bridge can be mended. Sakho need to keep fit and continue to put in the performances.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #85: Apr 12, 2017 11:39:22 pm
      Although I've been mostly satisfied and somewhat pleased with our progress/performances under Jürgen this season, the handling of sakho is one of those things I felt he got badly wrong.

I agree that sakho has let himself and the club down at times and I fully support the idea of punishing him by docking wages perhaps or removing him from the squad short team. Jürgen needs to stamp his authority and I understand that fully and I agree with it too. 

I do not support, however, loaning him out to another premiership team when our other defenders aren't very good! Everybody has their own opinions but mine is that sakho is our best CB and his performances at Palace justify that. 

Was Sakho clowning around a bit enough of a reason to kick him out the door? It's his performances on the pitch what matter most at the end of the day, not what goes on at melwold really. He also appears to be popular amongst his team mates too, that's the impression I've always had.

If we had sakho this season I think we might have 3-6 more points on the board this season.

I for one hope him and Jürgen can settle their differences and he's back in a red shirt next season. It wasn't long ago I thought he could be a potential skipper for us.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #86: Apr 13, 2017 08:42:13 am
      Although I've been mostly satisfied and somewhat pleased with our progress/performances under Jürgen this season, the handling of sakho is one of those things I felt he got badly wrong.

I agree that sakho has let himself and the club down at times and I fully support the idea of punishing him by docking wages perhaps or removing him from the squad short team. Jürgen needs to stamp his authority and I understand that fully and I agree with it too. 

I do not support, however, loaning him out to another premiership team when our other defenders aren't very good! Everybody has their own opinions but mine is that sakho is our best CB and his performances at Palace justify that. 

Was Sakho clowning around a bit enough of a reason to kick him out the door? It's his performances on the pitch what matter most at the end of the day, not what goes on at melwold really. He also appears to be popular amongst his team mates too, that's the impression I've always had.

If we had sakho this season I think we might have 3-6 more points on the board this season.

I for one hope him and Jürgen can settle their differences and he's back in a red shirt next season. It wasn't long ago I thought he could be a potential skipper for us.

Rightfully, it does matter what goes on at Melwood.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #87: Apr 18, 2017 12:56:27 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #88: Apr 18, 2017 01:17:23 pm

Do they still have Rudiger? If so, that could be a really good ball playing partnership for them.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #89: Apr 18, 2017 01:23:17 pm
      I think he's put the wrong quotes out, there.

Seems to be playing on the supporters who want him back and slightly trying to back Klopp into a corner.

Won't end well.

Thought the same.. The 2nd tweet wouldn't be what I'd like to hear from him.. Whether the punishment was OTT or not, he knows what he did? Acting like you don't know at this point makes little sense..

I want him back, I know he'll absolutely beast it under this new jurisdiction but, I also trust the baws. I'd love it (not sure how it would affect the team) if Jürgen waited to the last minute to fully show him NOT to F**k around. A more disciplined focus Sakho would be immense..

He's ours and we know what he's capable of..
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #90: Apr 18, 2017 01:26:56 pm
      Rightfully, it does matter what goes on at Melwood.

Especially considering that's where the manager decides on which players will feature on match days. If you train well then your chances of playing at the weekend increase significantly. You're taught that from being a kid.

That was a very strange comment.

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #91: Apr 18, 2017 01:51:38 pm
      Especially considering that's where the manager decides on which players will feature on match days. If you train well then your chances of playing at the weekend increase significantly. You're taught that from being a kid.

That was a very strange comment.

I agreed with the majority of that post but paused when I read that.. I don't think he's obnoxious in training at all but if he was it would most definitely matter..

Quick Reply