Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Netflix & New Movies... I can't ear it!

Read 9145 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Netflix & New Movies... I can't ear it!
      Mar 30, 2017 12:32:22 pm
      This has been bugging me for ages, I had a quick browse on the net and found other people had similar problems but many don't say if this can be resolved. Other than trying a 5.1 surround sound. And yet even then, people have come back and said this doesn't work.

Netflix and many new movies: I can't hear the dialogue, so I turn up the sound, then crash bang wallop when the action starts the roof lifts off the F***ing place. I can't believe how poorly either these movies have been audio mixed, or the fact my LG Smart TV cannot correct this problem. TV sound is fine, but on Netflix and new movies it drives me F***ing bonkers.  :f_steam:

Does anyone else have this issue on here, and if so, have you tried to resolve it?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Netflix & New Movies... I can't ear it!
      Reply #1: Mar 30, 2017 04:10:10 pm
      Do you change to a different source when watch Netflix? It could be a different sound setting on your TV compared to the tv setting
      Beerbelly
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2: Mar 31, 2017 05:09:28 am
      Do you change to a different source when watch Netflix? It could be a different sound setting on your TV compared to the tv setting

No I don't change to a different source.

I had a look on the settings on the TV and there isn't much there to make any difference. I played around with it and the dialogue on the movies on Netflix is still soft compared to all the crashing and banging of action.

I looked up on the net, and they were talking about settings like 'compressing' and switching off (iirc) audio 5.1 to 2.0 to see if that helps. But my TV doesn't have these kind of settings.

Apparently, it's something to do with the central speaker where the dialogue comes from and it's overawed by the L & R speakers which burst out all the action sounds. I don't know, but it is said sound engineers produce them like that for cinema purposes but in the comfort of your own home, along with these 'thin' speakers in these 'thin' TV's, it's sh*te.

Never had this problem with the old tube TV, could always here the dialogue and action sound at very similar levels. It's like technology & producing has gone backwards.

Apparently, it's quite a common problem and it's really starting to bug me because I don't want to be on the volume control every minute of a movie turning the sound up or down to the respective soft/noisy parts.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3: Mar 31, 2017 07:40:28 am
      Does this happen if you watch a movie on terrestrial TV?

TV speakers are not the best, especially due to the ultra thin style nowadays. What model LG do you have?

I assume you've checked for any software updates - this should happen automatically​ anyway though.

What will almost definitely solve this for you is buying a sound bar. They are so much better than standard TV speakers and there is a huge range in terms of price now, though you're best off with something with a few channels to handle dialogue and other audio.

If you don't want to buy something , are you sure you haven't missed an advanced settings option somewhere in the audio settings menu?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2017 10:59:47 am
      Does this happen if you watch a movie on terrestrial TV?

TV speakers are not the best, especially due to the ultra thin style nowadays. What model LG do you have?

I assume you've checked for any software updates - this should happen automatically​ anyway though.

What will almost definitely solve this for you is buying a sound bar. They are so much better than standard TV speakers and there is a huge range in terms of price now, though you're best off with something with a few channels to handle dialogue and other audio.

If you don't want to buy something , are you sure you haven't missed an advanced settings option somewhere in the audio settings menu?

No, it doesn't happen if I watch terrestrial TV. It sounds 'normal' the dialogue and sound/action are equal to one another.

Which is why I suspect it's something to do with audio down mixing although of course I could be wrong. Even still, I want to remedy the issue.

I haven't checked for software updates, but I think it does this automatically.

The model is: LG UF860V

The missus reckons a soundbar would help, but after reading (briefly) on the net, it didn't seem to solve some users' problems. Others recommended 5.1 surround sound to sort out the low dialogue, but reports back on that seem indifferent.

There genuinely seems to be a problem with this soft dialogue, loud sound havoc. And it's only been around for what, the last decade or so?

When I go down the father in-laws, it's the same on his, and he has a receiver and Jamo speakers for additional sound, yet when we're watching late at night - the dialogue is really soft then bang the Jamo's wake the kids up as soon as there is a gunfight.

Never, ever had this issue on the old televisions, or even on terrestrial TV today, which is why I suspect it's something the sound engineers are doing when they are mixing down.

You ever heard of this problem before?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: Mar 31, 2017 12:37:35 pm
      Never heard of it before mate, at least not to the extent you describe.

In theory a 5.1 channel sound bar should sort it out but I'll have a read about it  later when I get home.

Just had a quick read now on lunch and it does seem like a strangely recurring issue across manufacturers and audio setups. I'll look into it more later but just double​ check your audio settings - look for an 'advanced' menu perhaps - and see if changing to 2 channel setup makes any difference. I'd be surprised if a new-ish LG didn't have these options but i haven't researched the specific model.
      « Last Edit: Mar 31, 2017 12:48:23 pm by artaylor »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #6: Mar 31, 2017 05:32:43 pm
      No, it doesn't happen if I watch terrestrial TV. It sounds 'normal' the dialogue and sound/action are equal to one another.

Which is why I suspect it's something to do with audio down mixing although of course I could be wrong. Even still, I want to remedy the issue.

I haven't checked for software updates, but I think it does this automatically.

The model is: LG UF860V

The missus reckons a soundbar would help, but after reading (briefly) on the net, it didn't seem to solve some users' problems. Others recommended 5.1 surround sound to sort out the low dialogue, but reports back on that seem indifferent.

There genuinely seems to be a problem with this soft dialogue, loud sound havoc. And it's only been around for what, the last decade or so?

When I go down the father in-laws, it's the same on his, and he has a receiver and Jamo speakers for additional sound, yet when we're watching late at night - the dialogue is really soft then bang the Jamo's wake the kids up as soon as there is a gunfight.

Never, ever had this issue on the old televisions, or even on terrestrial TV today, which is why I suspect it's something the sound engineers are doing when they are mixing down.

You ever heard of this problem before?

I do think think I've ever been as shocked by a post on this forum in all my time here.

You've got a Missus?

The poor lady ;)
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #7: Apr 02, 2017 04:01:34 am
      It's because a lot of newer stuff is filmed thinking most people have a decent sound set up with a middle speaker for voice which is silly.... I had the problem watching, admitidddly, Blu Ray Rip downloads from torrent sites, so I had to use settings in the Samsung sound options that boosted dialogue, but explosions/music and stuff were still too loud compared to voices so I gave up downloading Blu Rays and settled with just streaming the HD rips from sites like fmovies which had much better sound, at the cost of a little downgrade in picture.

Although it's never been an issue on normal TV or legal streaming services like Netflix, as they have settings to select stereo two speakers.

Quick Reply