Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC to play in post-season friendly in Sydney

Read 7663 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      LFC to play in post-season friendly in Sydney
      Apr 10, 2017 01:52:53 am
      Liverpool to head to Sydney for post-season game
      Liverpool FC can announce JĂźrgen Klopp's team will travel to Sydney to play a post-season game at the city's ANZ Stadium.

The fixture will take place on Wednesday May 24 and will see the Reds make their debut in the city against Sydney FC.

Liverpool FC ambassador Ian Rush was in Sydney today to make the announcement.

“We have so many incredible fans in Australia and there is always a brilliant atmosphere when we play over here,” he said.

“This is the first time the lads have played in Sydney and they’re really looking forward to a great match against one of Australia’s best A-League teams.”

The game will also be the closest match to the Reds’ 125th anniversary, which will be celebrated on June 3, and the historic milestone will be marked with activities in and around this special game in Sydney.

Liverpool have more than 2.3million followers in Australia and the strength of their support has never been more evident than during the club’s previous visits: the incredible moment in Melbourne in 2013 when 95,000 fans sang ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’, or in Brisbane and Adelaide when fans came out in their thousands to show their support.

Gladys Berejiklian, Premier New South Wales, said: “Sydney is the events capital of Australia and we are excited Liverpool FC has chosen to play here.

“Securing this match is another example of the NSW Government’s commitment to building a world-class calendar of events to drive visitation to our state.”

General admission tickets will go on sale at 11am AEST on Wednesday April 12 via www.ticketek.com.au/lfc. Local official supporters’ clubs and official members will receive an email on Tuesday April 11 about a priority pre-sale.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/259613-liverpool-to-head-to-sydney-for-post-season-game

Our last game is played two days before this game.

Any Reds planning to go, let me know and we can catch up for a beer pre-game!

Also if anyone knows of any pre-purchase codes knocking about, please DM me :)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: LFC to play in post-season friendly in Sydney
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2017 03:23:56 am
      Liverpool to head to Sydney for post-season game
      Liverpool FC can announce JĂźrgen Klopp's team will travel to Sydney to play a post-season game at the city's ANZ Stadium.

The fixture will take place on Wednesday May 24 and will see the Reds make their debut in the city against Sydney FC.

Liverpool FC ambassador Ian Rush was in Sydney today to make the announcement.

“We have so many incredible fans in Australia and there is always a brilliant atmosphere when we play over here,” he said.

“This is the first time the lads have played in Sydney and they’re really looking forward to a great match against one of Australia’s best A-League teams.”

The game will also be the closest match to the Reds’ 125th anniversary, which will be celebrated on June 3, and the historic milestone will be marked with activities in and around this special game in Sydney.

Liverpool have more than 2.3million followers in Australia and the strength of their support has never been more evident than during the club’s previous visits: the incredible moment in Melbourne in 2013 when 95,000 fans sang ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’, or in Brisbane and Adelaide when fans came out in their thousands to show their support.

Gladys Berejiklian, Premier New South Wales, said: “Sydney is the events capital of Australia and we are excited Liverpool FC has chosen to play here.

“Securing this match is another example of the NSW Government’s commitment to building a world-class calendar of events to drive visitation to our state.”

General admission tickets will go on sale at 11am AEST on Wednesday April 12 via www.ticketek.com.au/lfc. Local official supporters’ clubs and official members will receive an email on Tuesday April 11 about a priority pre-sale.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/259613-liverpool-to-head-to-sydney-for-post-season-game

Our last game is played two days before this game.

Any Reds planning to go, let me know and we can catch up for a beer pre-game!

Also if anyone knows of any pre-purchase codes knocking about, please DM me :)

Hah was about to pm you mate for any pre sale codes!

Let me know if you find one please!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2017 03:36:42 am
      It's great that Australian fans get to see the Reds again, especially as it won't happen this summer.

But announcements like this are why the winter break seems like sh*t to me.

If the club is happy to fly half the way around the world for a money-spinning friendly two days after the season is over then there is no way on earth they wouldn't jam a mini tour of lucrative markets with a few weeks off in January.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2017 04:34:42 am
      It's great that Australian fans get to see the Reds again, especially as it won't happen this summer.

But announcements like this are why the winter break seems like sh*t to me.

If the club is happy to fly half the way around the world for a money-spinning friendly two days after the season is over then there is no way on earth they wouldn't jam a mini tour of lucrative markets with a few weeks off in January.

The club gets more excited for these money-spinners than it does at the prospect of winning trophies.

Who gives a feck about this, while our season is still in the balance.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2017 05:03:20 am by Beerbelly »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2017 05:36:33 am
      The club gets more excited for these money-spinners than it does at the prospect of winning trophies.

Who gives a feck about this, while our season is still in the balance.

We're not going to announce it after full time against Boro on the last weekend, are we?

The players aren't going to change the way they play because there's a post-season game in Sydney to stay healthy for, are they?

The possibility of Stevie playing in this game shows the intent of the tour and the potential squad we will be taking.

I very much doubt it will be a full squad. I also very much doubt there will be half a dozen key players.

Does that matter? No. Do the fans that are going to go care? Not really.

But these moments of being around fellow fans in a game-like atmosphere is as good as it gets living on this side of the world. And watching a game at 7:30pm instead of 4:00am is another added bonus.

To you this seems like a pointless money-spinner. But to us, it's the bi-yearly chance that we get to go to the pub, walk to the ground and watch Liverpool play a game.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2017 07:29:17 pm by redkenny, Reason: Removed personal insult »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2017 06:04:29 am
      We're not going to announce it after full time against Boro on the last weekend, are we?

The players aren't going to change the way they play because there's a post-season game in Sydney to stay healthy for, are they?

The possibility of Stevie playing in this game shows the intent of the tour and the potential squad we will be taking.

I very much doubt it will be a full squad. I also very much doubt there will be half a dozen key players.

Does that matter? No. Do the fans that are going to go care? Not really.

But these moments of being around fellow fans in a game-like atmosphere is as good as it gets living on this side of the world. And watching a game at 7:30pm instead of 4:00am is another added bonus.

To you this seems like a pointless money-spinner. But to us, it's the bi-yearly chance that we get to go to the pub, walk to the ground and watch Liverpool play a game.

There's always one dickhead who makes a selfish, brain-dead comment like yours.

So, it's brain-dead and selfish to not give a f**k about the news of some money spinning end of season tour while we're in the midst of a Champions League dog fight?

Sorry, I don't understand how that is selfish - at all. While that tour maybe the first thing on your mind, it's the last on mine as it plays very little part in our success. I mean, it's not as if this club is the last of the big spenders anyway.

I understand that you are giddy and excited about this, not knocking that and understand this is probably as good as it gets or you guys. That's not what I'm getting at though (so don't take it personally), and I do reserve the right to call it as I see it - and at the moment, I couldn't really give a f**k as there are more pressing things than this.

If this 'new' club of mine started to show as much ambition of winning trophies as they do flying round the world then I probably wouldn't be so "selfish" as you call it.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2017 06:24:40 am by Beerbelly »
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2017 06:21:27 am
      I'm now living in Western Canada now and I know people here who haven't been to Anfield would love it if Liverpool were to go out here, or even Seattle, for a game.

I honestly don't begrudge the effort of going to Australia to play, it's just the timing that doesn't make sense to me. If clubs are going to moan about the distances of flying in Europe, no winter breaks and the intensity of the game leading to injuries I just don't understand the wisdom of sending the squad to Australia a few days after end of the season.

And if it isn't going to be the main squad, aren't they fleecing the fans if it's going to Australia specifically for one game?

Edit: Sorry was on my phone thought you were replying to me.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2017 07:07:10 am by KS67 »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7: Apr 10, 2017 06:27:04 am
      I'm now living in Western Canada now and I know people here who haven't been to Anfield would love it if Liverpool were to go out here, or even Seattle, for a game.

I honestly don't begrudge the effort of going to Australia to play, it's just the timing that doesn't make sense to me. If clubs are going to moan about the distances of flying in Europe, no winter breaks and the intensity of the game leading to injuries I just don't understand the wisdom of sending the squad to Australia a few days after end of the season.

And if it isn't going to be the main squad, aren't they fleecing the fans if it's going to Australia specifically for one game?

It's to rinse and pocket their hard earned; the prices will be disgusting as usual - maybe it's squeezed in to bump up the transfer coffers in the summer.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Apr 10, 2017 08:13:27 am
      Maybe it's not a bad idea to have these tours at the end of the season rather than pre season.Save preseason for the serious work of getting players used to the Liverpool way of winning Leagues and Cups.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Apr 10, 2017 08:33:20 am
      Nothing wrong with the timing the league and our position will be settled by then so it's not a distraction in any shape or form.

It will be the last bit of football for the players involved before they leave for holidays and reconvene for the pre season when the real hard work begins.

The big winners here are the A-league and Football Australia who are fighting an uphill battle to maintain relevance where "soccer" is the third/fourth popular football code.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #10: Apr 10, 2017 01:22:49 pm
      Great you you Aussies, hope you all enjoy the experience. Also being on that date means we can't use the excuse of too much travelling for a slow start to the season 😉
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Apr 10, 2017 01:25:56 pm
      Hopefully they can put on a good show for the Aussie faithful. It's the least they deserve especially when you consider the amazing turnout for that match against Melbourne at the MCG 4 years ago. What a moment that was! Anything to help the game progress further in Australia. Read a report a couple of weeks back saying more and more are playing football these days in Australia. They've got great stadia, great weather and a great attitude. With world class coaching, Australia will hopefully become a talent pool to be reckoned with!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #12: Apr 10, 2017 01:56:44 pm
      It's to stop us karting around in the pre-season, if we're going to move around and play friendlies, that's the best time to do it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Apr 10, 2017 04:31:11 pm
      It's to stop us karting around in the pre-season, if we're going to move around and play friendlies, that's the best time to do it.

Definitely with you on that mate. Congrats on the 1000+'s by the way.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #14: Apr 10, 2017 04:40:44 pm
      Absolute crazy if we are playing 48-72 hrs in Oz after our last UK game, considering it takes 24hrs to get there.

But I believe the cheapest ticket will be A$1000, so if you guys don't pay, there will be no transfer kitty.

(Joking BTW about the price, but still think it's crazy)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #15: Apr 10, 2017 05:49:36 pm
      Definitely with you on that mate. Congrats on the 1000+'s by the way.

Cheers pal :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Apr 10, 2017 06:26:36 pm
      It's great that the club send squads to play in front of people who wouldn't otherwise get the chance to see some of the lads.

OK, so it won't be the full squad, but it'll still be a cracking day out.

Hope those who get tickets have a great day out.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #17: Apr 10, 2017 06:33:39 pm
      Prices are steep.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/ANZFOOT17/venues/AUS/performances/EAUS2017752/tickets

Dearest being Pre Purchase - Adult   $406.80
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Apr 10, 2017 06:35:20 pm

About 240 quid.
      That is a bit steep.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #19: Apr 10, 2017 06:40:22 pm
      About 240 quid.
      That is a bit steep.

That's the most expensive, can't/won't post the rest as it's a java thing, so can't copy/paste.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20: Apr 10, 2017 06:44:21 pm
      That's the most expensive, can't/won't post the rest as it's a java thing, so can't copy/paste.

Yes, I saw that.
      Some are pretty reasonably priced, but the "Reds Premium Package" wants to be pretty good to justify that amount.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #21: Apr 10, 2017 06:46:12 pm
      Yes, I saw that.
      Some are pretty reasonably priced, but the "Reds Premium Package" wants to be pretty good to justify that amount.

People will still pay.

Saw the alcohol free zone, it's in the gods!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #22: Apr 10, 2017 06:47:26 pm
      People will still pay.

Saw the alcohol free zone, it's in the gods!

I would if I was an Australian supporter.

Surely it'll be kids only in the alcohol free zone  :laugh:

Quick Reply