Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. The Ox?

Yes, even at £35m.
      23 (14.6%)
      Yes, but not for that much.
      78 (49.7%)
      No way.
      56 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Read 85321 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Reply #23: Apr 12, 2017 03:58:58 pm
      When you put it in those kind of terms... yep.

If we've got £35M to punt on a player then they should be in the first team.  We're some way off £35M signings forming part of our squad IMO.

Club would be all over the extra money from shirt lettering.

Imagine the money he made the club on lettering alone :D
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #24: Apr 12, 2017 04:06:47 pm
      I personally like the Ox. He's quick and strong on the ball. He could be an exciting prospect. But not at that silly amount. And as stated before, would he improve the starting 11? Not sure about that, but he'd certainly strengthen the squad...
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #25: Apr 12, 2017 04:15:39 pm
      More like £3.5m otherwise forget about it.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #26: Apr 12, 2017 05:48:13 pm
      Hold on guys, we can't possibly continue this discussion without some hard facts.

Here is the standard youtube video which makes any player look amazing. ...and he looks amazing! (well, quite good actually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYXwwz6Gtw

Oh, and I'll just call him "Dan" Oxlade-Chaberlain, because apparently I like all players called Dan.  ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017 05:52:56 pm by DanMann »
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #27: Apr 12, 2017 05:52:35 pm
      Just from watching him play for years now he seems to have power, pace, determination and a pretty good passer of the ball. I have quite a few mates who support Arsenal so most of my thoughts on him being used wrong are from them. He's playing central, wide, deep, false 9 and each time it's a different place usually from the bench too so he can't get settled into a stable role. What they love about him is that he gets at people, very rarely does he let players go round him and he also runs at people too which is what they like. He's a hard worker and is a bit of an unpolished diamond in my eyes, sounds like a perfect Klopp player?

I'd agree with what you say - by all accounts he looks like the type of player with ability and work ethic but also potential which Klopp can help him work toward.

Just a bit uneasy at that price, feel it could be spent better elsewhere. That said, the market is crazier year by year and if Klopp wants him so badly the fee won't be too relevant.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #28: Apr 12, 2017 06:19:28 pm
      Hold on guys, we can't possibly continue this discussion without some hard facts.

Here is the standard youtube video which makes any player look amazing. ...and he looks amazing! (well, quite good actually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYXwwz6Gtw

Oh, and I'll just call him "Dan" Oxlade-Chaberlain, because apparently I like all players called Dan.  ;)

Dan Moses  :laugh:

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #29: Apr 12, 2017 06:28:48 pm
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #30: Apr 12, 2017 07:16:48 pm

That's his actual middle name...  :-\
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #31: Apr 12, 2017 11:26:06 pm
      He has done F**k all to justify that fee. We would be paying it because of his nationality and the fact we're buying from arsenal.

I never rated him, but I must admit I've been impressed watching him in recent months playing in centre mid rather than his usual position out wide. Is he good enough to push hendo, lallana or wijnaldum out the side though? Not for me, and for that reason I'd pass on that price.

He would be a good addition to the squad, but for a third of that fee.  If we're spending 35m on a player then you would expect him to walk straight into the 11 and I'm not sure Ox does.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32: Apr 13, 2017 09:32:27 am
      Jürgen recently suggested that there would be no negative net spend this summer and (more importantly) that we had to make transfers if we want to "perform at the highest level".

In my opinion Ox C is not a player who fits the description of someone who will elevate us to "the highest level".

We have been told that there's money and we have been told that...

"we will be prepared for the summer for sure and we all have the same plan: sporting director, scouting department, owners, myself. We want to make this club as big and as successful as possible."

Surely this isn't who we have in mind? 😕
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #33: Apr 13, 2017 10:21:14 am
      If true, wouldn't at all surprise me to see a deal involving Sturridge, who imo is very much a Wenger type player.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #34: Apr 13, 2017 10:23:10 am
      Definite no no.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #35: Apr 13, 2017 10:28:26 am
      If true, wouldn't at all surprise me to see a deal involving Sturridge, who imo is very much a Wenger type player.

Wenger type player as in injury prone?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #36: Apr 13, 2017 10:33:52 am
      See, price is relative. The question is would he elevate our midfield to the next level? May be not so much in terms of technique, but from what I have seen he has made good impact when he comes off the bench and is a superb professional. He was the first person to drag Giroud back to the field and to his senses when the latter went ga-ga celebrating the equalizer against Bournemouth. He would fit in fantastically in any Jürgen set-up.

I wouldnt say a strong NO if our interest in him is serious. With our style and pressing, and our players tiring out, there would be a lot of rotation next season. Jürgen turned down Teixeira cos of the asking price, so he knows better. We are in some serious need of depth in the middle, and I think he can become a lot better under Jürgen.

Having said that, I hope he is "one of the targets" for our midfield and down the list as a 3rd or 4th preference, not THE target!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #37: Apr 13, 2017 12:01:54 pm
      I personally like the Ox. He's quick and strong on the ball. He could be an exciting prospect. But not at that silly amount. And as stated before, would he improve the starting 11? Not sure about that, but he'd certainly strengthen the squad...

Completely agree with all of this.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38: Apr 13, 2017 02:04:37 pm
      If the first option us "Yes, even at 35 million IF Jürgen REALLY WANTS HIM/HE'S NOT A COMMITTEE PICK AND Jürgen THINKS HE'S WORTH IT then put a tick down for me.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: Apr 13, 2017 09:57:13 pm
      If the first option us "Yes, even at 35 million IF Jürgen REALLY WANTS HIM/HE'S NOT A COMMITTEE PICK AND Jürgen THINKS HE'S WORTH IT then put a tick down for me.

Jürgen, remember, is in "total control of transfers" mate.

It goes without saying then that, if he's signed, 'even at £35m', Jürgen thinks he's worth it... irrefuckingspective of anything else 😉

He is ordinary and impotent in a very beige Arsenal side and (hopefully) not the height of our ambition. 😞
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #40: Apr 14, 2017 11:28:06 am
      We're extremely under nourished as a squad. Ox would bolster our options. That's guaranteed. It's then up to him as they say, to kick on and make himself a regular. However, you don't pay £35m for squad players...
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #41: Apr 14, 2017 04:23:15 pm
      We're extremely under nourished as a squad. Ox would bolster our options. That's guaranteed. It's then up to him as they say, to kick on and make himself a regular. However, you don't pay £35m for squad players...

and you dont buy someone who is clearly not good enough and cant command a place in there own first team squad on a regular basis
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #42: Apr 14, 2017 04:32:03 pm
      I don't know what to make of this one.

Used to be really quick.  Is he still quick? Because we'll need him to be.
      Often gets injured / dropped.  Will he stay fit and motivated?
      A bit 'nice.'  Will he graft when he needs to?
      Is he good enough to slot in, in the absence of Bobby/Sadio/ Adam/Phil?

He strikes me as one of those players who have failed to kick on adequately under the cosseting influence of Arsene; but maybe he'll flourish at a club where he'll have to do some real work.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #43: Apr 14, 2017 07:00:16 pm
      and you dont buy someone who is clearly not good enough and cant command a place in there own first team squad on a regular basis

In that case, we would have missed out on LOADS of players over the years.

Shake the cobwebs out mate...

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #44: Apr 15, 2017 12:10:36 am
      I honestly don't know which one to vote. Do I think he's worth 35 million? No! If Jürgen wants him, and that's what he costs, then Yes! Do I want him here? Not really, but I have no other players to suggest, so F**k my opinion!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #45: Apr 15, 2017 12:25:27 am
      I personally think he could thrive under Klopp. Who cares about the price, not our money. £35m is pretty standard these days.

Quick Reply