Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. The Ox?

Yes, even at £35m.
      23 (14.6%)
      Yes, but not for that much.
      78 (49.7%)
      No way.
      56 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Read 86235 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Reply #92: Apr 25, 2017 08:08:38 pm
      Not for me. Another superstar of the future at 18. Still the same player now with a bit more physicality.
      Never really made any improvement/development, and probably won't do in the future.
      Sides like Watford, Bournemouth, Everton, Palace would be made up with him.
      We gotta aim higher if we are expected to make any improvements.

No way.
      Average.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6383 
      Reply #93: Apr 25, 2017 08:58:29 pm
      Isn't he injured (again)?

Don't think he's even on Klopp's radar.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #94: Apr 25, 2017 09:02:58 pm
      Think he got MOTM Sunday there against citeh
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #95: Apr 26, 2017 09:45:57 am
      Don't think he's even on Klopp's radar.
      You could well be right FL because, when you think about it; he's a player who we could have definitely bought in January (in my opinion, obviously).

Not someone you'd have to wait to the summer for. 😐
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #96: Apr 26, 2017 12:47:18 pm
      Oxlade Chamberlain is a good player in my opinion and could do well in a Klopp system. Only question is whether he is happy to sit on the bench here as he at Arsenal? Perhaps, if we pay more money to him then it wouldn't make any difference which bench he sits on.

Obviously,  we need a replacement for Sturridge (in the med room). ;)
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #97: Apr 26, 2017 05:45:04 pm
      Oxlade Chamberlain is a good player in my opinion and could do well in a Klopp system. Only question is whether he is happy to sit on the bench here as he at Arsenal? Perhaps, if we pay more money to him then it wouldn't make any difference which bench he sits on.

Obviously,  we need a replacement for Sturridge (in the med room). ;)

the reported money being talked about and the fact that he would more than likely be a bench warmer or come in when we have injuries is why we shouldnt be going after him. He simply is not good enough to come in a replace anyone who is in the starting 11.

and it is the starting 11 that we need to address before we look at the bench and squad.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #98: May 02, 2017 12:31:16 pm
      I think he'd add a lot to the squad, but no way is he worth 35. 20 tops, and I'd prefer to spend the money on a goalkeeper, defensive mid and a striker.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #99: May 02, 2017 06:24:00 pm
      I think he'd add a lot to the squad

Really? Barely ever gets an assist, even rarer he gets a goal, he can't defend, he can hardly put in a decent cross and on recent form he doesn't even know what foot to use to kick the ball with.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #100: May 03, 2017 12:07:39 pm
      Really? Barely ever gets an assist, even rarer he gets a goal, he can't defend, he can hardly put in a decent cross and on recent form he doesn't even know what foot to use to kick the ball with.

Yeah, but apart from that... :D
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #101: May 04, 2017 11:53:33 am

he is fantastic. :)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #102: May 10, 2017 11:56:34 am

And yet, he has more assists in the league than Firmino, Coutinho and Mane, despite playing significantly less than all of them (1500 mins as opposed to Firmino's 3000, Coutinho's 2000 and Mane's 2200).
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #103: May 10, 2017 12:23:30 pm
      And yet, he has more assists in the league than Firmino, Coutinho and Mane, despite playing significantly less than all of them (1500 mins as opposed to Firmino's 3000, Coutinho's 2000 and Mane's 2200).

One thing I will say about Chamberlain is he spreads his assists evenly in different areas:

3 to Sanchez, 2 to Giroud, Welbeck & Xhaka, 1 to Ozil & Monreal

3 finishes by left foot, 4 finishes by right foot and 4 finishes by headers

3 assists at LW, 3 assists at RW, 1 assist at CM & 4 assists at RWB.

5 assists by crossing, 5 assists by passing & 1 via a throw in (WTF?:D)

One thing that has helped him is having a target in the box to aim for, I don't see that with us. I really liked his crossing in the past few games that I've watched though.

I'm sad I know :D.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6383 
      Reply #104: May 10, 2017 12:25:41 pm
      I read that he would want to leave Arsenal to play in his more natural role of CM. So who would he replace? Wouldnt be a swap for Hendo? Would he play in Gino's position?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #105: May 10, 2017 12:37:46 pm
      I read that he would want to leave Arsenal to play in his more natural role of CM. So who would he replace? Wouldnt be a swap for Hendo? Would he play in Gino's position?

I don't get why he thinks his natural position is centre mid though. He's played there all of 7 times this season and contributed 1 assist. He doesn't get in ahead of Gini based on contribution both in terms of goals & assists, the ability to close down and the ability to keep the game ticking over (at home for Gini anyway).

In 180 career games he's played centre mid just 16 times. Most of those CM appearances only came after telling Wenger to either play him or he'll leave. Looking at Arsenal's squad, centre mid was the only open spot at the time, then Ramsey came back and they dropped Bellerin for him and played him at right wing back.

I like his flexibility but the last thing we need is an injury prone player throwing out demands to Klopp about where he wants to/should play when he's not as good as what we already have in that position. Sick of hearing Milner every other week going on about how he doesn't like playing left back in the media, although that could be regurgitated news.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6383 
      Reply #106: May 10, 2017 01:18:13 pm
      I don't get why he thinks his natural position is centre mid though. He's played there all of 7 times this season and contributed 1 assist. He doesn't get in ahead of Gini based on contribution both in terms of goals & assists, the ability to close down and the ability to keep the game ticking over (at home for Gini anyway).

In 180 career games he's played centre mid just 16 times. Most of those CM appearances only came after telling Wenger to either play him or he'll leave. Looking at Arsenal's squad, centre mid was the only open spot at the time, then Ramsey came back and they dropped Bellerin for him and played him at right wing back.

I like his flexibility but the last thing we need is an injury prone player throwing out demands to Klopp about where he wants to/should play when he's not as good as what we already have in that position. Sick of hearing Milner every other week going on about how he doesn't like playing left back in the media, although that could be regurgitated news.

Honestly I think it's all agent/player generated to secure a new deal with Arsenal. I'd pass.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #107: May 10, 2017 01:48:01 pm
      He certainly doesn't have the passing range to play CM for a top team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #108: May 10, 2017 02:44:21 pm

No he hasn't. He has 7 assists in the league, same as Coutinho and Coutinho has 10 goals, compared to the 2 Ox has. A lot of the minutes Coutinho has played he was struggling to get back from an injury.

1 more assist than Firmino but again, far less goals as Bobby is in double figures.

2 more assists than Mane but again far less goals as Mane is in double figures.

Not to mention one of the assists for Ox was a throw!
      The only real difference in minutes is between Ox and Bobby, all the others are similar.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #109: May 10, 2017 03:21:17 pm
      No he hasn't. He has 7 assists in the league, same as Coutinho and Coutinho has 10 goals, compared to the 2 Ox has. A lot of the minutes Coutinho has played he was struggling to get back from an injury.

1 more assist than Firmino but again, far less goals as Bobby is in double figures.

2 more assists than Mane but again far less goals as Mane is in double figures.

Not to mention one of the assists for Ox was a throw!
      The only real difference in minutes is between Ox and Bobby, all the others are similar.

Coutinho has 6 assists. As for struggling with injuries, well that's something Chamberlain also had to deal.
      And the difference in minutes are far from irrelevant. Nearly 6 and 8 *full* matches more for Coutinho and Mane.
      Not to mention that Chamberlain frequently comes from the bench. He's averaging about 55 minutes per appearance, which is considerably less than the others who are basically automatic starters provided they're fit.

This is not to say that he's a world beater and much better than what we have, but for someone who rarely does anything - as you were trying to portray - he's done OK given his limited game time. And I definitely would not rule out someone's talents for not playing regularly elsewhere, as the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge have shown us other clubs' losses might be our gain.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #110: May 10, 2017 03:22:57 pm
      Coutinho has 6 assists. As for struggling with injuries, well that's something Chamberlain also had to deal.
      And the difference in minutes are far from irrelevant. Nearly 6 and 8 *full* matches more for Coutinho and Mane.
      Not to mention that Chamberlain frequently comes from the bench. He's averaging about 55 minutes per appearance, which is considerably less than the others who are basically automatic starters provided they're fit.

This is not to say that he's a world beater and much better than what we have, but for someone who rarely does anything - as you were trying to portray - he's done OK given his limited game time. And I definitely would not rule out someone's talents for not playing regularly elsewhere, as the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge have shown us other clubs' losses might be our gain.

Coutinho hardly tears up the league in terms of goals and assists,is that our baseline now.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #111: May 10, 2017 03:35:40 pm
      Coutinho hardly tears up the league in terms of goals and assists,is that our baseline now.

Chamberlain has a bigger assist rate this season than the likes of Eriksen though. He's done ok. Not saying he's my preferred target or anything, I just disagree when people try to make it sound as if he's rubbish and completely useless, when he clearly isn't. His injury record actually worries me more than anything. Do we really need another player that seems fragile and unable to be relied upon during the whole season?

In terms of assists though, the best in the league is Cesc Fabregas. Yet when we got linked to him, people said he can barely run, even though he covered nearly 13km in a match a few months ago.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #112: May 10, 2017 03:46:35 pm
      Chamberlain has a bigger assist rate this season than the likes of Eriksen though. He's done ok. Not saying he's my preferred target or anything, I just disagree when people try to make it sound as if he's rubbish and completely useless, when he clearly isn't. His injury record actually worries me more than anything. Do we really need another player that seems fragile and unable to be relied upon during the whole season?

In terms of assists though, the best in the league is Cesc Fabregas. Yet when we got linked to him, people said he can barely run, even though he covered nearly 13km in a match a few months ago.

Stats no doubt are always useful but you still need to go back to the mean which would suggest this seasons figures for Ox are an outlier, of course he could continue on his upward trajectory.

Thats human nature for you people will always try to confirm their bias against a player with some reason or another.
      BTW I think Cesc would be great at LFC.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #113: May 10, 2017 04:35:49 pm
      Not sure if we should sign him or not, but I would add that the leading teams across Europe have multiple attacking options and almost always have one or two high-quality attacking players on the bench. They rotate their players in and out of the starting lineup, in part I imagine to keep them fresh, but also to help ensure that you have players in relatively good form on the pitch at all times. It costs more, sure, but this is part of continually asking questions of the opposition. If we want to compete on multiple fronts, we have to look for this kind of depth. We also have to realize that INJURIES WILL HAPPEN. You can't predict them, but every team in the Premier League has had to deal with their share, not just us. By the time the season ends, especially with Euro competition included, all of the players rotated in and out should have the chance to play in plenty of matches.

In Klopp's system, the forward roles are pretty interchangeable, so if this is a guy can be moved around a lot, maybe it is a check in his box.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #114: May 10, 2017 07:06:30 pm
      Chamberlain has a bigger assist rate this season than the likes of Eriksen though.
      Eriksen has 17 assists in 3000(ish) mins mate. That's more than double Ox-Cs 7 @ 1500(ish) mins... and that's ignoring the Dane's 8 goals.

He may rate higher than many Diego but Eriksen, sure as sh*t ain't one of them. 🙄

-------------------------------------------

A lot of the rationale applied, to why Jürgen is right to want rid of Danny, centres around the fact he misses so many games that he cannot be relied on.

Oxlade Chamberlain has played even less than Danny, in the previous 3 seasons - and all without the goals tally.

If unreliability, due to injury, really is an anyway valid argument then... well you see where this is going. 😕

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017 07:30:01 pm by bad boy bubby »

Quick Reply