Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. The Ox?

Yes, even at £35m.
      23 (14.6%)
      Yes, but not for that much.
      78 (49.7%)
      No way.
      56 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Read 86085 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Reply #575: Aug 30, 2017 06:11:33 pm
      I hope he does well, but 35m for someone you could get for free next summer (especially if he's SO inclined to play for us)

Since when did you start caring about how much we spend?

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #576: Aug 30, 2017 06:12:12 pm
      For some strange reason I think that he will be a really good signing and one we look back at in a year and be saying what a shrewd bit of business.

As a squad option across potentially 4 positions he could be vital. And I really think he will flourish under Klopp

Totally agree.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #577: Aug 30, 2017 06:13:34 pm
      We're assembling the world's greatest rock n roll band...and forgetting about the fact we need a drummer and a bass player!

Keith Moon and John Entwistle were my faves.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #578: Aug 30, 2017 06:14:15 pm
      I'm happy with this..only 24 and improves the squad..now go sign Lemar and keep Coutinho..play 2-5-3 and watch Barca go in meltdown  :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #579: Aug 30, 2017 06:14:17 pm
      Correct me if i'm wrong here, but i think this is a top signing, he is versatile which in all honesty will only be good for us if we incur a lot of injuries, i don't know about anyone else but i see him in front of the back 4 as cover for Hendo, he can of course play wide too and his preferred central role,

he's strong and powerful and can shift very quickly, but i see him protecting the back 4 allowing, Can, Gini, Lallana, Grujic, Naby etc the freedom to attack, Hendo has been in that role recently which released Can & Gini to wreak havoc, perhaps Jürgen sees him as a DM with the ability to power forward in a instant, i might be totally wide of the mark here but i can't see where else we need cover, if indeed Lemar too comes in and we land VVD then i too will very gladly munch my way thru some humble pie.

YNWA

ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #580: Aug 30, 2017 06:14:26 pm
      What are they? 'cause all I've been reading is that he's been poor because he's being "played OUT of position".

How can someone, who's big attraction is that he's versatile, be so unlucky in so many roles? 😂

Joking aside tho... where will he play? 🤔

He can play across midfield and up front ... Wenger had him at right-back which is where Conte wanted him to play too.

Of course, another reason why this is a good deal is because he turned down Chelsea for us ... that's not something that has happened for a good few years. This, along with us keeping Coutinho (assuming we don't let him go), sends out a strong message about the club's intentions for the future and that our days as a selling club are nearing an end
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,975 posts | 237 
      Reply #581: Aug 30, 2017 06:14:33 pm
      After a long time, I am going to look forward to the names on the bench (well, assuming that VVD is going to come in and there are no outgoings). :D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #582: Aug 30, 2017 06:14:37 pm
      He's a decent player but over hyped and over valued cus he's English.

I'm on the fence on this signing.

Maybe Klopp can turn him into a better player.

If anyone can Klopp can.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #583: Aug 30, 2017 06:14:50 pm
      His contract might be nearing its end, but this is still a player whose club was trying to keep, and that the current English champions were trying to sign. He's young and homegrown.

In this market, what did you expect him to cost?!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #584: Aug 30, 2017 06:15:03 pm
      Just to be clear... a 21st century "wing back" is a winger who tracks back to help a back three.

Same way as we expect our "wingers" to track back and double up. He's NOT a wing back my hole. 😁

He, like Milner, fancies himself as a midfield general... end of. 😉
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #585: Aug 30, 2017 06:15:27 pm
      Now we just have to sell Coutinho and bid on Sanchez
      Kopite78
      Reply #586: Aug 30, 2017 06:20:32 pm
      Same genuine question Jon... if he's not being used right at Arsenal (presumably in one of 4 roles) and that is the reason he has been poor then where will we play him that will be different?

I think sometimes Mouse that there are cases of not being able  to see what in front of your nose. I think Wenger has got to the stage where he has lost a bit of sight as to how to move Arsenal forward and has an issue with using what's he has.. He seems to me to have signed the likes of Chamberlain and even Walcott without a long term view of how to use them and as long term projects/young talent.
      You then get to the stage where you don't judge them freshly/fairly as opposed to what you bring in for the following summers after they sign and they tend to become a bit of a blur in your strategy.

It can happen in any business, you have a new role come up but you dont consider someone within your company as they are part of the back ground, they may well be perfectly suited and would flourish in that promotion but you consider the guy with fresh ideas you interviewed the other day Instead and become blind to the  talent in front of you that has worked for you since being a part timer on a Saturday years ago.

Sometimes that person just needs to make the jump and go flourish at a new company where he will be looked at with those fresh eyes and his  ideas will make his new boss sit up and take notice.

Bringing it back to the Ox 👍.. I think with Wenger he's looked beyond what he could do if he gave him responsibility in a role he would flourish in and just looks at him as a lad who can do numerous jobs for him filling in here and there.

What Chamberlain is doing that say Walcott hasn't is say, this isn't working I'm going somewhere where I will be that managers signing who will have an idea of how to use me and will judge me on what I do in that fresh environment rather than just someone who has become blind to the manager.
      I also think that Chamberlain is a Klopp type of player and that Klopps football that we are playing now will suit his skill set.. quick powerful on the break... technically good, works hard.. young..
      I think Klopp will use him predominantly as an option in the middle or wide forward.. not places like wing back (which ironically is where Wenger has finally found a spot for him) and he will really flourish under a manager who will view him with fresh eyes, and rather than as a prospect as someone coming into his prime.
      In my opinion Chambelain will react really well to being treated as a main part of the squad rather than a bits and pieces fill in who is still looked at as a raw kid who was signed as a project but not really every developed as one.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #587: Aug 30, 2017 06:22:56 pm
      Just to be clear... a 21st century "wing back" is a winger who tracks back to help a back three.

Same way as we expect our "wingers" to track back and double up. He's NOT a wing back my hole. 😁

He, like Milner, fancies himself as a midfield general... end of. 😉
      He's a winger all day long. There's an increasing desire from young players to play more centrally (Sterling for one) when they are more naturally suited to a wide position.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #588: Aug 30, 2017 06:23:00 pm
      He can play across midfield and up front ... Wenger had him at right-back which is where Conte wanted him to play too.

Of course, another reason why this is a good deal is because he turned down Chelsea for us ... that's not something that has happened for a good few years. This, along with us keeping Coutinho (assuming we don't let him go), sends out a strong message about the club's intentions for the future and that our days as a selling club are nearing an end

No probs mate... I know where he can play but the truth is; he hasn't played full back much (at Arsenal) down the years. He has played more across the midfield (in wide roles in particular); those were the other positions he failed to deliver in.

I get he can cover. I'll accept that but let's not pretend he only flopped at Arsenal because he was played in the wrong position.

Anyhows... that's any and all negativity vented now. I hope he's F***ing awesome in Liverpool Red. 😎
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #589: Aug 30, 2017 06:23:31 pm
      Maybe Klopp can turn him into a better player.

If anyone can Klopp can.

Do you mean "if there's anyone who can turn him into a better player, it's Klopp"?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #590: Aug 30, 2017 06:24:38 pm
      Since when did you start caring about how much we spend?

Because we have a budget and we should spend it on the best players we can...not bench warmers. Since when DON'T you care about how much we spend?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #591: Aug 30, 2017 06:25:18 pm
      I think sometimes Mouse that there are cases of not being able  to see what in front of your nose. I think Wenger has got to the stage where he has lost a bit of sight as to how to move Arsenal forward and has an issue with using what's he has.. He seems to me to have signed the likes of Chamberlain and even Walcott without a long term view of how to use them and as long term projects/young talent.
      You then get to the stage where you don't judge them freshly/fairly as opposed to what you bring in for the following summers after they sign and they tend to become a bit of a blur in your strategy.

It can happen in any business, you have a new role come up but you dont consider someone within your company as they are part of the back ground, they may well be perfectly suited and would flourish in that promotion but you consider the guy with fresh ideas you interviewed the other day Instead and become blind to the  talent in front of you that has worked for you since being a part timer on a Saturday years ago.

Sometimes that person just needs to make the jump and go flourish at a new company where he will be looked at with those fresh eyes and his  ideas will make his new boss sit up and take notice.

Bringing it back to the Ox 👍.. I think with Wenger he's looked beyond what he could do if he gave him responsibility in a role he would flourish in and just looks at him as a lad who can do numerous jobs for him filling in here and there.

What Chamberlain is doing that say Walcott hasn't is say, this isn't working I'm going somewhere where I will be that managers signing who will have an idea of how to use me and will judge me on what I do in that fresh environment rather than just someone who has become blind to the manager.
      I also think that Chamberlain is a Klopp type of player and that Klopps football that we are playing now will suit his skill set.. quick powerful on the break... technically good, works hard.. young..
      I think Klopp will use him predominantly as an option in the middle or wide forward.. not places like wing back (which ironically is where Wenger has finally found a spot for him) and he will really flourish under a manager who will view him with fresh eyes, and rather than as a prospect as someone coming into his prime.
      In my opinion Chambelain will react really well to being treated as a main part of the squad rather than a bits and pieces fill in who is still looked at as a raw kid who was signed as a project but not really every developed as one.

Thanks for a great reply mate... I'm not sold but I'll be happy if I'm wrong. 😎
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #592: Aug 30, 2017 06:25:47 pm
      Correct me if i'm wrong here, but i think this is a top signing, he is versatile which in all honesty will only be good for us if we incur a lot of injuries, i don't know about anyone else but i see him in front of the back 4 as cover for Hendo, he can of course play wide too and his preferred central role,

he's strong and powerful and can shift very quickly, but i see him protecting the back 4 allowing, Can, Gini, Lallana, Grujic, Naby etc the freedom to attack, Hendo has been in that role recently which released Can & Gini to wreak havoc, perhaps Jürgen sees him as a DM with the ability to power forward in a instant, i might be totally wide of the mark here but i can't see where else we need cover, if indeed Lemar too comes in and we land VVD then i too will very gladly munch my way thru some humble pie.

YNWA

Mate add to that and he was easily Arsenal's best player in their first two games and then surprisingly didn't turn up too well against us.... (good lad! :lmao: ) and I think it's a cracking signing. Always had a worry about his injuries but that was when he was coming in as perhaps the Salah role. When he's coming in as CM, can cover out wide also you start to worry a little less about his injury problems with the depth our squad is looking like now.

Add Lemar to it too and our attacking options are ridiculously good.
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #593: Aug 30, 2017 06:25:50 pm
      All for this...just hope the arrival of AOC, Lemar (possibly) and Keita (next year)...don't spell the end of Can's Liverpool career. Deserves a new deal north of AOCs 125k p/week and would be a mistake to let him go.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #594: Aug 30, 2017 06:26:42 pm
      One thing's for sure...if Klopp is as good as we think he is...there should be a night and day difference in the player from Arsenal to us. He was surrounded by class players there, will be surrounded by class players here, so really the only difference will be man management and coaching. In that sense, I'm excited to see how he develops under Klopp as he has the tools, just needs to use them.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #595: Aug 30, 2017 06:28:49 pm
      One thing's for sure...if Klopp is as good as we think he is...there should be a night and day difference in the player from Arsenal to us. He was surrounded by class players there, will be surrounded by class players here, so really the only difference will be man management and coaching. In that sense, I'm excited to see how he develops under Klopp as he has the tools, just needs to use them.

Agreed, when he first broke through at Arsenal I thought this kid looked a world class player in the making without question. Seeing what Jürgen can get out of him compared to Wenger will be a great comparison of the two for sure.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #596: Aug 30, 2017 06:29:40 pm
      Still not sure about the Ox, he just comes across as a Navas/Lennon type wide player with physicality, and for 35m :( We shall see I guess.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #597: Aug 30, 2017 06:30:27 pm
      Because we have a budget and we should spend it on the best players we can...not bench warmers. Since when DON'T you care about how much we spend?

Klopp has wanted him since January/February...maybe his opinion is that its not a bench warmer?

Or perhaps you know what the manager wants more than he does?

Again the same name have been linked since the opening of the window.

Keita
      VVD
      Salah
      Sessegnon or Robertson
      Ox.

Seems to me whatever the price the manager is getting who is wanted.

Quick Reply