Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. The Ox?

Yes, even at £35m.
      23 (14.6%)
      Yes, but not for that much.
      78 (49.7%)
      No way.
      56 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Read 86006 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Reply #621: Aug 30, 2017 07:17:20 pm
      I dont know how to feel about this transfer. Little bit worry about his injury record, and people say that JK training sessions are hard. If it was up to me, id have signed Mahrez, but it isnt up to me. So welcome to the Club Ox :)
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #622: Aug 30, 2017 07:19:10 pm
      Sky reporting deal agreed with Arsenal £35m plus add ons. Medical to take place either on Merseyside or at England training camp. Ox needs to agree personal terms! 
      I think he could be a really good player for us, he's quick and he's powerful and I think he'll blossom under Klopp! Oh, and apparently 6 year deal. I await official confirmation, but looks like a goer.

Really...........  Thanks for the hot tip!!!
      Redangel

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #623: Aug 30, 2017 07:25:49 pm
      Really...........  Thanks for the hot tip!!!

Sarcasm, not a good look.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #624: Aug 30, 2017 07:27:47 pm
      Not turning cartwheels about this signing, but as long as it's not Ox in, Coutinho out it's ok.

He's a decent all rounder who'll give us more strength in depth. Seems a bit injury prone/expensive but it's not my money.

On that exuberant note - welcome to LFC Ox! (Think you may have to win a few of us over. I like the fact you turned down the Chavs.)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #625: Aug 30, 2017 07:29:45 pm
      Not totally convinced but a solid player to have in the squad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #626: Aug 30, 2017 07:29:51 pm
      What are they? 'cause all I've been reading is that he's been poor because he's being "played OUT of position".

How can someone, who's big attraction is that he's versatile, be so unlucky in so many roles? 😂

Joking aside tho... where will he play? 🤔

He's gonna be part of the rotation squad, for games after Champions League matches. We just haven't told him that yet!!

But after last season, good to see we've got a few more options.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #627: Aug 30, 2017 07:33:33 pm
      I think he is a good signing personally. Klopp will move him onto next level. Next season after Klopp pre-season under his belt he will be a very good player. Yes, £35m for a player in his last year of contract is lot of money but I think he is also a fall back after us 'not' signing Lemar (who I never thought FSG would sign but were 'interested' in keeping us happy.

Also, I see him as a replacement for Milner from next season when Milner goes to a mid table team.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #629: Aug 30, 2017 07:40:48 pm
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #630: Aug 30, 2017 07:41:41 pm

He'll not be happy playing LB. ;D

;D we have 2 'new signings' at LB now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #631: Aug 30, 2017 07:43:23 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #632: Aug 30, 2017 07:51:23 pm

Stewart, Grujic, Ejaria each had about 10 games last year. Lucas made 31 appearances. That was without any European games so I'd say he will get plenty of games in midfield.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #633: Aug 30, 2017 07:52:32 pm
      All about depth I think.

The market two years ago and he's a £15 million squad option. Now it seems £35 million is the new £15 million.

Mane and Mo are looking like mega bargains right now.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #634: Aug 30, 2017 07:56:05 pm
      All about depth I think.

The market two years ago and he's a £15 million squad option. Now it seems £35 million is the new £15 million.

Mane and Mo are looking like mega bargains right now.

This. Better quality depth.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #635: Aug 30, 2017 08:04:55 pm
      I cant see what all the noise and fuss is all about.

Don't rate him at all.

Havent changed my mind .

WHY ?  have we just spent 40million squid on him ?

This seems like a Robbie Keane moment with Rafa .

His international performance and month or two back against France was absolutely dire.

What hidden stats have Klopp and his team seen?

All I can say is that which I have said in a post this week.
      I trust Klopp and his purchases although at the moment this purchase pushes trust a bit far.

Prove me wrong Jürgen.
      Kopite78
      Reply #636: Aug 30, 2017 08:13:49 pm
      Havent changed my mind .

His international performance and month or two back against France was absolutely dire.

I trust Klopp and his purchases although at the moment this purchase pushes trust a bit far.

Prove me wrong Jürgen.

I'm kind of the opposite with this one mate, I don't know why but it's just a feeling in my bones, and sometimes that's better than looking and refocusing on stats.
      I think Klopp thinks the same as me in terms of his raw physical potential rather than what he's done or not done at Arsenal.

Klopp will be looking at what he can do with him rather than how he's become a bit stale at the arse.

Look at him physically.. Klopp will look at him get his arm around him I training like Wenger hasn't and historically doesn't and say to him, you can be the best in the world, you can do what he does, what he does..
      Watch Mane and Salah in training, look how they utilise their pace, look where they position themselves.. Look how we play to exploit that...

You can do that too Alex... You can have that impact..

And you know what? I think he'll thrive under that type of management
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #637: Aug 30, 2017 08:17:55 pm
      I'm kind of the opposite with this one mate, I don't know why but it's just a feeling in my bones, and sometimes that's better than looking and refocusing on stats.
      I think Klopp thinks the same as me in terms of his raw physical potential rather than what he's done or not done at Arsenal.

Klopp will be looking at what he can do with him rather than how he's become a bit stale at the arse.

Look at him physically.. Klopp will look at him get his arm around him I training like Wenger hasn't and historically doesn't and say to him, you can be the best in the world, you can do what he does, what he does..
      Watch Mane and Salah in training, look how they utilise their pace, look where they position themselves.. Look how we play to exploit that...

Well said. I see similar too. Klopp is a glass half full guy. He will be looking at the future not Ox's past.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #638: Aug 30, 2017 08:23:53 pm

Listening too one of the podcasts that interviewed a Guardian reporter that covers Arsenal she basically said that he has been under coached (it's not what Arsne does ie..coaching) played out of position and he really gets down on himself with confidence and again Wegner is not one for a sit down talk or hug.

Short story from her was a good player who needs proper coaching and a manager that is willing to work with him, teach him and be there for him when he needs it.  The physical prowess, the speed and the desire is there...it just needs to be brought out so he has a chance to flourish.

Sounds like he needs one of those big hugs.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #639: Aug 30, 2017 08:44:53 pm
      Havent changed my mind .

Prove me wrong Jürgen.

I watched the first half of that match. Some genuinely atrocious performances throughout and as you note, AOC was one of them.
      Kopite78
      Reply #640: Aug 30, 2017 08:48:05 pm
      A watched the first half of that match. Some genuinely atrocious performances throughout and as you note, AOC was one of them.

They were dog sh*te as a team

Playing 3 at the back against this Liverpool side is suicide and the ones to suffer the most are the wing backs...

Also his mind maybe was already at Anfield 👍

I did smile at the standing ovation the kop gave him as he went off was brilliant in a proper scouse way 🤗
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,139 posts | 1084 
      Reply #641: Aug 30, 2017 08:48:13 pm
      Got the Ox but most of us want dat bell cow (VVD)

All jokes aside I like the deal. Lack of depth is something that really hurt last winter, and I think we needed to get a utility player like Ox who can fill multiple positions in lower tourney and league games and for injury and rest purposes. He is also a guy who seems due for an upgrade of performance with the right system and coach. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he blossomed here. He has nice speed, plays with a real strong low center of gravity when taking on defenders, and is a decent defender. Though Lemar would have been more valuable to the club the Ox will be more valuable to the squad. Still hope we get Lemar, though the priority at this point should be on VVD.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #642: Aug 30, 2017 08:56:15 pm
      He wanted to come here.
      That'll do for me.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #643: Aug 30, 2017 08:57:40 pm
      What are they? 'cause all I've been reading is that he's been poor because he's being "played OUT of position".

How can someone, who's big attraction is that he's versatile, be so unlucky in so many roles? 😂

He has played in pretty much every single position other than goalkeeper and CB for Arsenal. It's hard for a young player to really shine or develop when the manager sees you as an utility player. I thought that whenever he did play, and most pundits agreed with that, he always played well only to be back on the bench the game after. There's a reason he desperately wanted to leave Arsenal, Wenger just doesn't know how to use him and that has to be really frustrating for a young player. He didn't have a nailed on position to focus on, pretty much the same situation as Can, who is only now starting to settle in that midfield role.

He IS versatile, he can play the Lallana role and he can play as a winger either on the left or the right. There's a massive difference in mindset when starting as a wingback or a winger who has to help his fullback out. As a wingback your mindset is primarily to defend and to get in advanced positions when possible.

I see him as the understudy to Lallana first and foremost and as an option on the wings when / if Mane and Salah need a rest.

The stats aren't hidden at all, they are there for everyone to see. He's one of the best in the league for penetration in the box, touches in the box, dribbles, receiving the ball in tight areas, ... He will be the one receiving the ball and getting others into play, which is why his (admittedly) below average output with regards to goals isn't a problem, we have plenty of goalscorers. We need players able to pull the opposition players out of position when playing against low blocks and Alex's stats with regards to these qualities are amongst the highest in the league. He has a very big range of passing too, his passing is a lot better than people think. Essentially he's a pacey Lallana. Look at this vid with some of his highlights. It focuses on the qualities he has and that he will need in the position he's going to play for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=78&v=950Zlhqn6Io

He'll get plenty of game time too, all it takes is an injury to Henderson or Lallana, for us to have only 3 or 4 options in the attacking midfield positions. With the amount of games we'll be playing, he'll be playing a lot.

I fully agree. Get him on the training pitch with the likes of Lallana, Salah and Mane. Have him focus on his strenghts and one or two positions. He'll thrive under Klopp's management and in the way our team plays.

Quick Reply