Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. The Ox?

Yes, even at £35m.
      23 (14.6%)
      Yes, but not for that much.
      78 (49.7%)
      No way.
      56 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Read 85340 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
      Reply #667: Aug 30, 2017 10:36:31 pm
      Look at Mane the last couple of games.
      He's carrying a knock or something.
      We need Alex (Not "The Ox") and maybe another, to take the load of Mane and Salah.
      Yes they're ferocious but no they won't do it on their own for the season on all fronts.

Also, and I know it was in a game we won 4-0, he played in the midfield 3 for Arsenal.
      So he can also play in there, which is needed given Coutinho and Lallana circumstances. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #668: Aug 30, 2017 10:40:44 pm
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #669: Aug 30, 2017 10:45:01 pm
      I've said a few times in here I think he is an option I would have looked at if our team was the finished product but would rather have focussed on more pressing areas right now.

But his determination to come here is very impressive and not something you would often see.

Our depth up top now is frightening and I think getting out of that mediocrity that's in place at Arsenal and under Klopp with Klopp's style will see him surprise a few people and he will start more games than many of us think.

Be interesting to see how the boss uses him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #670: Aug 30, 2017 10:47:00 pm
      And took a pay cut along the way - he turned down £180k a week, to join us for £125k a week

Let's not dwell on this too much.

1. The 180 was dependent on CL football at Arsenal. Hmm...not likely for a while. Basic was likely similar.

2. We've offered him 6 years. Arsenal were offering 4.

3. We've got no idea what bonus deals LFC are giving him. Could be all sorts.

4. His agent is Aidy Ward. He's probably getting all sorts of clauses (remember he insists on buyout clauses which LFC don't like anymore)
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #671: Aug 30, 2017 11:05:17 pm
      Welcome to the club young man. I'm delighted with this. Think he will push himself harder to make sure he starts every week.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #672: Aug 30, 2017 11:09:48 pm
      Got to be better than Downing.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #673: Aug 30, 2017 11:10:00 pm
      Bottom line is the kid is Prem. tested, versatile, enthusiastic about being here, and talented. Most the footy experts say with the right coach he could really break through. With Klopp nothing surprises me anymore. The kid will prosper here IMO
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #674: Aug 30, 2017 11:11:11 pm
      Was a fan of this move from the beginning so I'm pretty chuffed to see what he can do in an LFC shirt. However, my gooner mate (quote) "you can have him he's thick as shi...t!", and that was a few days ago. We'll see. Gotta put some trust in Klopp, I was skeptical about Lallana as a centre mid and he was excellent in the role last season. I didn't think Milner could play left back but he was solid for virtually all of last season playing the role. Got to hand it to Jürgen because he can coach and improve players. Or has some excellent attributes. He's quick, he's strong (as an Ox boom boom!), he can beat players, he's a decent dribbler, he's not a natural defender but if you watch him he marks, tracks and tackles, his work rate is excellent. Question marks for me would be his range of passing in a central role and also his touch and technical ability to play in the busiest area of the pitch.
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017 11:17:21 pm by Scottbot »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #675: Aug 30, 2017 11:18:37 pm
      Was a fan of this move from the beginning so I'm pretty chuffed to see what he can do in an LFC shirt. However, my gooner mate (quote) "you can have him he's thick as shi...t!", and that was a few days ago. We'll see. Gotta put some trust in Klopp, I was skeptic all about Lallana as a centre mid and he was excellent in the role last season. I didn't think Milner could play left back but he was solid for virtually all of last season playing the role.

Exactly mate. Plus...

1. England international
      2. Arsenal offered big money to keep him
      3. Conte offered big money to get him
      4. English
      5. Still young
      6. Liverpool fan

To me that sounds perfect.
      Kopite78
      Reply #676: Aug 30, 2017 11:20:06 pm
      Exactly mate. Plus...

1. England international
      4. English
      5. Still young
      6. Liverpool fan

To me that sounds perfect.

Think one and four are kind of hand in hand  :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #677: Aug 30, 2017 11:21:08 pm

Doesn't really mean a massive amount these days

4. English
      5. Still young

Can't argue with that like

No he's not
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #678: Aug 30, 2017 11:25:18 pm
      Think one and four are kind of hand in hand  :D

Ha ha you know what I mean...

Maybe 1. should of just said 'international player'
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #679: Aug 30, 2017 11:44:02 pm
      Let's not dwell on this too much.

1. The 180 was dependent on CL football at Arsenal. Hmm...not likely for a while. Basic was likely similar.

2. We've offered him 6 years. Arsenal were offering 4.

3. We've got no idea what bonus deals LFC are giving him. Could be all sorts.

4. His agent is Aidy Ward. He's probably getting all sorts of clauses (remember he insists on buyout clauses which LFC don't like anymore)

I thought Chelsea were also offering 180k/week.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #680: Aug 30, 2017 11:49:17 pm
      Also turned down £220k a week to Chelsea. That is beyond commendable, that deserves massive respect and appreciation. In the day and age of greed ruling so many decisions, while of course £120k a week is hardly chump change, to take £100k a week pay cut to follow your dream and join our club impresses me massively.

Career over pocket, dream over greed, well played fella.

:gt-happyup:

Well said. This lad is the signing of the Summer in the Premiership, not just for Liverpool. I think he's an attacking midfielder who can also play in other positions. We've had one of those for a long time until a couple of seasons ago.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #681: Aug 31, 2017 12:06:29 am
      Some articles saying he chose LFC cause he has a better chance of playing centre mid than if he'd gone to Chavs?! Never saw him as a CM, but maybe he's spent time there in the past, I dunno.
      Not sure I see him in the first XI with others fit, so 40mill is some money not to be an automatic starter. But let someone else worry about the spend, I just wanna see us strengthen, as long as he improves us, we absolutely need more depth to properly challenge in all comps.
      Haven't seen it from him yet in the PL on any consistent basis, but hopefully Klopp can get more gametime out of him than Wenger, who should really have gone end of last season.
      Assuming goes thro, hoping for good things.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #682: Aug 31, 2017 12:18:00 am
      Unless it's fake, this move is now complete.

harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #683: Aug 31, 2017 12:29:43 am
      Some articles saying he chose LFC cause he has a better chance of playing centre mid than if he'd gone to Chavs?!

I can't see it, unless we play 4-2-3-1 and he is the CAM with Mane and Salah as the wide attacking midfielder.  Personally think he's been brought in to rotate with Mane/Salah on the wings, but time will tell. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #684: Aug 31, 2017 12:43:12 am
      What is going on here? :D

I wake up and he's signed.

Shown enough determination to want to be here and Klopp wants him. Good enough for me.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #685: Aug 31, 2017 12:46:40 am
      What is going on here? :D

I wake up and he's signed.

Shown enough determination to want to be here and Klopp wants him. Good enough for me.
      I agree and taken a pay cut too? Never really rated him he's always been talked about as potential? Well if anyone can release potential in a player it's Jürgen?
      John_Roe
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #686: Aug 31, 2017 01:27:00 am
      Still not sure about the Ox, he just comes across as a Navas/Lennon type wide player with physicality, and for 35m :( We shall see I guess.

Nope.. He's not. Navas/Lennon are like Valencia, all they can do is running through the straight path on the pitch, with no ability to use their left foot . Ox uses his both feet (though his left is still weaker, but not as weak as those 3 players above). His movement is more unpredictable, and damn! Maybe you won't believe this as it seems from your comment that you don't really watch him play at all. Bcos in some arsenal games last season, when this kid examined to fill the cm position, he can read the game well enough. He's got a lot of vision too, added by his typical skill of a winger, and his bravery to penetrate & bring the ball, i think that'd be awesome.. Even if coutinho leaves, (which i don't want to), ox can bring some depth and considered as a decent replacement for coutinho, though it's not in the sense of him bringing the same quality as coutinho has, but his versatility to be played in a lot of position in our 4-3-3 formations, that's already become a sort of advantage for us.
      I'd consider it as a decent move, not spectacular, and not bad either.
      John_Roe
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #687: Aug 31, 2017 01:31:11 am
      Some articles saying he chose LFC cause he has a better chance of playing centre mid than if he'd gone to Chavs?! Never saw him as a CM, but maybe he's spent time there in the past, I dunno.
      Not sure I see him in the first XI with others fit, so 40mill is some money not to be an automatic starter. But let someone else worry about the spend, I just wanna see us strengthen, as long as he improves us, we absolutely need more depth to properly challenge in all comps.
      Haven't seen it from him yet in the PL on any consistent basis, but hopefully Klopp can get more gametime out of him than Wenger, who should really have gone end of last season.
      Assuming goes thro, hoping for good things.

Last season, he's filled that position (CM) a few times.. And he's good there. Remember lallana at soton? He was a winger there. But now, he is a competitor for our midfield post.
      John_Roe
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #688: Aug 31, 2017 01:36:39 am
      ???

If we have signed the OX I can't be the only who feels a bit meh after yesterday's heady excitement of the possibility of getting a much better sort after player in Lamar, I wonder what the OX is smoking if he believes he's getting a game for us in centre midfield utter madness. Don't see him pushing any of our first XI out but Lamar maybe would have and that's what we need top quality competition not just decent.

Meh

Remember how everyone have underestimated lallana's or mane's move? And now only a fool liverpool fan who won't like 'em both.
      John_Roe
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #689: Aug 31, 2017 01:48:15 am
      If we buy him I hope he proves me wrong but as of now and taking to some friends who support Arsenal he isn't good enough and he isn't going to improve the starting eleven.

I would take him as a backup but we need to spend money improving the first team, specifically the defence.

This move is for the depth of the squad. Klopp wants some competitions over every position. That's why he brought karius too. Not to become an instant regular GK, but to get the best of simon, to enrich his options, to get 3 strong GK. Do u really think that if we could get lemar, he would be an instant main option for klopp? I really don't think so. Because it's for the competitions regard. More importantly, rotation. That there wouldn't be any significant declining of quality, when we bring some different players for some different matches.. That's what klopp's are intent for. To have a lot of lineups, that's pretty much bring the same quality to roam this long season ahead.

Quick Reply