Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263362 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1012: Jun 12, 2017 05:42:13 pm
      Does the TV money kick in this summer or was it last summer that clubs had access to and able to spend?

I honestly don't know how that type of thing works mate. I'll have a gander and see what's what.

Sure. I guess what I mean is, do you think the current market would still allow upgrades for us (over Lovren and Milner) at those positions, for that price?

I know it's hard to say when it is hypothetical.

I think that would be possible.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1013: Jun 13, 2017 09:04:45 am
      Does that not seem a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'd have thought, with him being our top target, with the groundwork (illegal or otherwise) being done then if he does try to force a move we'd jump to the top of the queue as fast as we could.

I think we will stay clear regardless otherwise it leaves us wide open to investigation despite VVD putting in a request.

We look to have really sh*t ourselves regarding this deal and it appears we want it to all go away.  I'll be gobsmacked if we end up back in for this lad.

Shame, because he's the best CB in the league for me and klopp obviously wanted him.

I still can't believe how we handled this. Piss poor.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 1097 
      Reply #1014: Jun 14, 2017 11:44:14 pm
      Hello all. First time poster (as you all can see). I am from the U.S and have been following the club since 2013. I am an avid follower of all sports that America has to offer (baseball, basketball, and American football) but have really fallen in love with this sport and this club over the last few years.

Anyways, I loved VVD to us this summer for a lot of reasons. The first is I have seen him play and know what he is capable of. Other than Robertson, Keane, and Clichy I am unfamiliar with other left backs we are rumored to have interest in. Another reason I like the move is you stay away from guys like De Vrij who will be new to BPL football. New countries, cultures, game etc. aren't always for everyone. The 3rd is he is by far superior to any other left back we could land and fixes a lot of holes going into CL football this year. But now that the events have unfolded the way they have it is pretty clear to me if we do make a deal going forward it could make us look even worse than before. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see VVD @ Anfield going forward, but if we drastically over pay him it will set a bad presidency for future transfer windows to come for the Reds. And just to be clear, the only way we land him now will be to over pay for his services. To publicly apologize, swear off having any interest in him going forward, and than drastically over paying for him once Hampton thinks we have been taught our lesson is a bad look. That's what you call "getting it broke off in ya". At this point I am for signing Salah and Robertson and calling it good. With how tight FSG has been in the past I would be happy with what it takes to get those two.

P.S: With what we will pay for Solanke and then we get Mo Salah and Robertson it should make us all pretty happy.
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017 03:06:17 am by Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 »
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #1015: Jun 15, 2017 06:28:22 am
      Hello all. First time poster (as you all can see). I am from the U.S and have been following the club since 2013. I am an avid follower of all sports that America has to offer (baseball, basketball, and American football) but have really fallen in love with this sport and this club over the last few years.

Anyways, I loved VVD to us this summer for a lot of reasons. The first is I have seen him play and know what he is capable of. Other than Robertson, Keane, and Clichy I am unfamiliar with other left backs we are rumored to have interest in. Another reason I like the move is you stay away from guys like De Vrij who will be new to BPL football. New countries, cultures, game etc. aren't always for everyone. The 3rd is he is by far superior to any other left back we could land and fixes a lot of holes going into CL football this year. But now that the events have unfolded the way they have it is pretty clear to me if we do make a deal going forward it could make us look even worse than before. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see VVD @ Anfield going forward, but if we drastically over pay him it will set a bad presidency for future transfer windows to come for the Reds. And just to be clear, the only way we land him now will be to over pay for his services. To publicly apologize, swear off having any interest in him going forward, and than drastically over paying for him once Hampton thinks we have been taught our lesson is a bad look. That's what you call "getting it broke off in ya". At this point I am for signing Salah and Robertson and calling it good. With how tight FSG has been in the past I would be happy with what it takes to get those two.

P.S: With what we will pay for Solanke and then we get Mo Salah and Robertson it should make us all pretty happy.

Welcome to the forum
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1017: Jun 16, 2017 08:49:54 pm
      A picture to make people lose their sh*t (courtesy of Twitter)...

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1018: Jun 16, 2017 08:56:37 pm

Not going to shock me one little bit if the deal is done sometime after the window officially opens; going to end up costing us £10M+ more due to stupidity but its going to get done.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1019: Jun 16, 2017 08:57:44 pm
      Not going to shock me one little bit if the deal is done sometime after the window officially opens; going to end up costing us £10M+ more due to stupidity but its going to get done.

The window is open now it's just transfers between teams from different countries can't be registered with the league until 1st July.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1020: Jun 16, 2017 09:11:35 pm
      I concur with your opinion, it has merit. ;)

Just the new Chinese owners flexing their muscles int'it.

Ah..that and we made such a big deal about him wanting to come here that Soton looked like idiots to they're supporters...I can understand that.

So we say nothing for a few weeks....we pay a stupid penalty which means we are paying £60-65 million for the player and Soton looks like  hard arses for the supporters to a bigger club that was bullying them, Soton gets a record fee and the player goes to where he wants to be.

As soon as the player said "I want to come" we should have immediately slapped a bid in before spouting sh*t out there...that would have nixed all this apology and BS the past week; but we tried to play it cute and got burned.

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017 09:16:41 pm by AZPatriot »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1021: Jun 16, 2017 09:21:08 pm

F**k off, mcarz, why are you doing this ? It's killing me (and us!)!!!!! It's never gonna happen, never, never and never!! :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #1022: Jun 16, 2017 09:22:30 pm

Have the club apologised for this yet?

:lmao:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1023: Jun 16, 2017 09:25:47 pm
      F**k off, mcarz, why are you doing this ? It's killing me (and us!)!!!!! It's never gonna happen, never, never and never!! :D

Not giving a F**k works so much. This time last season you'd all be seeing my rage for another fu**ed up deal :D.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #1024: Jun 16, 2017 09:34:39 pm
      Have the club apologised for this yet?

Ha ha I'm sure the press team are writing up a press release right now
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #1025: Jun 16, 2017 11:26:41 pm

New ploy to send young employees in to do some tapping up  you can almost see klopp hiding in background
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1026: Jun 16, 2017 11:29:29 pm
      He ain't coming folks. We screwed the pooch.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1027: Jun 16, 2017 11:42:59 pm

Must be our new head negotiator
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #1028: Jun 17, 2017 07:30:40 am

When did we sign VVD?

So, has lean against the wall at Melwood been replaced with lean against a LFC supporter? ;)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1029: Jun 17, 2017 08:59:59 am

Don't see how he could be any worse :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1030: Jun 21, 2017 06:56:17 pm
      Quote from: Melissa Reddy
      Is the Virgil Van Dijk saga over? “To out muscle others to land Van Dijk and for him to choose Liverpool shows the level of determination to get a deal done. I don’t think that can just evaporate with an apology but it is largely down to the player now given Liverpool’s statement.”

http://www.anfieldhq.com/goal-coms-liverpool-correspondent-melissa-reddy-van-dijk-keita-oxlade-chamberlain/

;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1031: Jun 21, 2017 07:20:37 pm

So are you reducing your never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen!!! by one or two ever's? :D

Still think it's tough but still think he will end up here. He's on holiday at the moment, the dust is settling on our F**k-up, when the window opens and he throws in a transfer request then I think the Saints, providing their buyers aren't mega rich, will be quite willing to listen to anything that makes VVD the most expensive defender in history.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1032: Jun 21, 2017 08:09:32 pm
      So are you reducing your never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen!!! by one or two ever's? :D

Still think it's tough but still think he will end up here. He's on holiday at the moment, the dust is settling on our f**k-up, when the window opens and he throws in a transfer request then I think the Saints, providing their buyers aren't mega rich, will be quite willing to listen to anything that makes VVD the most expensive defender in history.

I don't think it will happen, I just felt like doing a mcarz and giving this thread a bump with news/picture to get people excited for a split second! :D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1033: Jun 21, 2017 08:13:32 pm
      I don't think it will happen, I just felt like doing a mcarz and giving this thread a bump with news/picture to get people excited for a split second! :D

Oh I know mate, was just wondering if your seemingly unshakeable certainty had moved even an inch.

You seemed the most convinced that this one was completely dead, like an an ex-parrot dead.

I'm much more in-line with AZ on this one, I can definitely see it still happening.

For those who didn't get the reference and just because it'll cheer people up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1034: Jun 21, 2017 09:02:53 pm

:lmao: :lmao:

Quick Reply