Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 260948 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1035: Jun 22, 2017 03:17:25 pm
      John Aldridge writing in the Mirror, says  VVD should  go on strike to force a move to LFC.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1036: Jun 22, 2017 03:18:52 pm
      John Aldridge writing in the Mirror, says  VVD should  go on strike to force a move to LFC.

Oh.....that will help our tapping up cause.  :roll:
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1037: Jun 22, 2017 05:09:49 pm
      Hello all. First time poster (as you all can see). I am from the U.S and have been following the club since 2013. I am an avid follower of all sports that America has to offer (baseball, basketball, and American football) but have really fallen in love with this sport and this club over the last few years.

Anyways, I loved VVD to us this summer for a lot of reasons. The first is I have seen him play and know what he is capable of. Other than Robertson, Keane, and Clichy I am unfamiliar with other left backs we are rumored to have interest in. Another reason I like the move is you stay away from guys like De Vrij who will be new to BPL football. New countries, cultures, game etc. aren't always for everyone. The 3rd is he is by far superior to any other left back we could land and fixes a lot of holes going into CL football this year. But now that the events have unfolded the way they have it is pretty clear to me if we do make a deal going forward it could make us look even worse than before. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see VVD @ Anfield going forward, but if we drastically over pay him it will set a bad presidency for future transfer windows to come for the Reds. And just to be clear, the only way we land him now will be to over pay for his services. To publicly apologize, swear off having any interest in him going forward, and than drastically over paying for him once Hampton thinks we have been taught our lesson is a bad look. That's what you call "getting it broke off in ya". At this point I am for signing Salah and Robertson and calling it good. With how tight FSG has been in the past I would be happy with what it takes to get those two.

P.S: With what we will pay for Solanke and then we get Mo Salah and Robertson it should make us all pretty happy.

Welcome to the forum
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #1038: Jun 23, 2017 02:27:31 am
      So are you reducing your never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen!!! by one or two ever's? :D

Still think it's tough but still think he will end up here. He's on holiday at the moment, the dust is settling on our F**k-up, when the window opens and he throws in a transfer request then I think the Saints, providing their buyers aren't mega rich, will be quite willing to listen to anything that makes VVD the most expensive defender in history.

I fully agree. Once the dust settles, surely it's going to be revived through Van Dijk............or even Aldo!  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1039: Jun 23, 2017 10:11:44 am
      Chelsea have made a 60mill bid apparently, according to Sky Italy. Not sure how they would know...
      Weren't the Chavs also going to be investigated for trying to tap him up too?

If we are to go for him again then maybe we should get a move on with it! Would hate to see him end up somewhere like the Chavs.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1040: Jun 23, 2017 10:17:16 am

I think if we intend in going back in for him and he's as keen to join as suggested he'll be more than aware of our intentions and probably happy to sit it out and wait.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #1041: Jun 23, 2017 10:20:15 am
      Next Southampton manager being a former red might help...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1042: Jun 23, 2017 10:30:26 am

Oh.....that will help our tapping up cause.  :roll:

No he didn't.

Read his article before believing the Mirror who ripped off his article and twisted it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1043: Jun 23, 2017 11:15:52 am
      No he didn't.

Read his article before believing the Mirror who ripped off his article and twisted it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-legend-calls-virgil-van-10662674
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1044: Jun 23, 2017 11:53:08 am

Forgot who i was talking to.

In simple English:

1) Aldo said in his article that players hold the power in football
      2) Aldo said if VVD wants to move, the ball is in his court to make it happen
      3) Aldo disagrees with how modern football works with player power but acknowledged that's how it works these days
      4) Mirror take what he says and twist his words (specifically point 2) to say Van Dijk should go on strike

Understand?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1045: Jun 23, 2017 11:56:37 am
      Forgot who i was talking to.

In simple English:

1) Aldo said in his article that players hold the power in football
      2) Aldo said if VVD wants to move, the ball is in his court to make it happen
      3) Aldo disagrees with how modern football works with player power but acknowledged that's how it works these days
      4) Mirror take what he says and twist his words (specifically point 2) to say Van Dijk should go on strike

Understand?

"Players and their agents hold all the power these days and if he says he won’t kick another ball for Southampton and demands a move, it will happen."

"Van Dijk needs to make the next move and I reckon he will tell Southampton that he wants out and he wants to go to Liverpool."

“I still see this transfer happening one way or the other and I certainly hope it does because I’d like to have seen a little more movement from Liverpool in the transfer market this summer.”

Wow...if you really read those and don't think that he's basically telling VVD how to go about becoming a Liverpool player...well then, you are a bit thicker than I thought.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1046: Jun 23, 2017 12:00:13 pm
      If we are to go for him again then maybe we should get a move on with it!

The way I understand it, we end all interest and they won't report us (in which we did with that official statement), but if we go in for him and make a bid and they will report us.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1047: Jun 23, 2017 12:18:00 pm
      "Players and their agents hold all the power these days and if he says he won’t kick another ball for Southampton and demands a move, it will happen ".
      “I still see this transfer happening one way or the other and I certainly hope it does because I’d like to have seen a little more movement from Liverpool in the transfer market this summer.”

Wow...if you really read those and don't think that he's basically telling VVD how to go about becoming a Liverpool player...well then, you are a bit thicker than I thought.

Indeed.
      Got there before me.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1048: Jun 23, 2017 12:36:50 pm
      The way I understand it, we end all interest and they won't report us (in which we did with that official statement), but if we go in for him and make a bid and they will report us.

Yeah that's true if we initiate the move PM but if VVD throws in a transfer request and someone else bids then he's basically 'for sale' and that could trigger renewed interest and therefore move away from the 'tapping-up'.

Now I understand the counter point would be that he only put in a transfer request because of the tapping up but he could cite reasons of 'wanting to play in the CL', 'wanting to further his career', unless he's advised by Michael Edwards he's not going to put 'because I want to go to Liverpool because I had a great weekend with Jürgen and some leggy blondes he brought with him to sweeten the deal', if you catch my drift.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1049: Jun 23, 2017 01:04:02 pm
      Yeah that's true if we initiate the move PM but if VVD throws in a transfer request and someone else bids then he's basically 'for sale' and that could trigger renewed interest and therefore move away from the 'tapping-up'.

That's a good point!! never thought about this!! We'll have to wait and see I guess!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1050: Jun 23, 2017 01:26:49 pm
      "Players and their agents hold all the power these days and if he says he won’t kick another ball for Southampton and demands a move, it will happen."

"Van Dijk needs to make the next move and I reckon he will tell Southampton that he wants out and he wants to go to Liverpool."

You're assuming Van Dijk will somehow lap up what Aldo has said and act on it though when there's no evidence to support the idea that Van Dijk will do so.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1051: Jun 23, 2017 01:31:37 pm
      You're assuming Van Dijk will somehow lap up what Aldo has said and act on it though when there's no evidence to support the idea that Van Dijk will do so.

The actual poster made no inference to that suggestion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1052: Jun 23, 2017 01:45:01 pm

Whatever...you can paint it how you like but the bottom line is, with our prior screw up hanging over our heads, it's probably not smart for a high profile red to come out basically telling VVD what he needs to do to still join LFC.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1053: Jun 23, 2017 03:31:24 pm
      Whatever...you can paint it how you like but the bottom line is, with our prior screw up hanging over our heads, it's probably not smart for a high profile red to come out basically telling VVD what he needs to do to still join LFC.

What Aldo said was stupid.  It would be better if we had the LFC media machine talking about how VVD is over-hyped, overpriced, and how there are better options out there. 

However, I'm sure VVD and his agent already knew what they needed to do to force a move.  It was hardly ground breaking stuff from Aldo....
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1054: Jun 23, 2017 04:31:33 pm
      Sounds like he's going to Chelsea.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1055: Jun 23, 2017 04:42:57 pm

They already had reported us though hadn't they? If we done it properly 2nd time round then they would have no grounds to again?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1056: Jun 23, 2017 04:54:55 pm
      They already had reported us though hadn't they?

Did they? I thought they were on the verge until our meeting which stopped them.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1057: Jun 23, 2017 05:00:51 pm
      Southampton fans somehow value Van Dijk at 80m yet say paying 10m for Sakho would be ludicrous :lmao:

Quick Reply