Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 262815 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1058: Jun 23, 2017 05:20:22 pm
      Did they? I thought they were on the verge until our meeting which stopped them.

I guess essentially they did, there wouldn't have been the start of an investigation otherwise would there?
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1059: Jun 23, 2017 05:23:26 pm
      Sounds like he's going to Chelsea.

I read that, although it doesn't mention whether VVD actually wants to go there.  Our approach may be to let another club agree a fee, have VVD turn down that move, then we match the fee and sign him.  I can't see our involvement being over just yet....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,267 posts | 6367 
      Reply #1060: Jun 23, 2017 05:33:07 pm
      Did they? I thought they were on the verge until our meeting which stopped them.

From what I understand, the matter is still not resolved as the league hasn't made a determination yet.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1061: Jun 23, 2017 10:56:38 pm
      Southampton fans somehow value Van Dijk at 80m yet say paying 10m for Sakho would be ludicrous :lmao:

Crawled out of their suburbian holes ?
      Horrible town Southampton.
      They still have their small minded Dell mentality.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1062: Jun 24, 2017 12:18:41 am
      Pellegrino their new manager. He was crap for us from what I remember of his brief spell with us (playing wise anyway because as it goes he's actually a pretty decent coach) so the least he owes us is getting VVD out the door and over to us!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1063: Jun 24, 2017 03:23:53 am
      "Players and their agents hold all the power these days and if he says he won’t kick another ball for Southampton and demands a move, it will happen."

"Van Dijk needs to make the next move and I reckon he will tell Southampton that he wants out and he wants to go to Liverpool."

“I still see this transfer happening one way or the other and I certainly hope it does because I’d like to have seen a little more movement from Liverpool in the transfer market this summer.”

Wow...if you really read those and don't think that he's basically telling VVD how to go about becoming a Liverpool player...well then, you are a bit thicker than I thought.

He doesn't say "go on strike".

He said the only way it'll happen is if he does. Southampton will keep rejecting us unless he steps in.

That's not him asking him to strike. He's just stating how football works these days.

And he still holds hope that he'll play for us because the club needs to press on.

Why do I bother?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1064: Jun 24, 2017 09:13:29 am
      Pellegrino their new manager. He was crap for us from what I remember of his brief spell with us

Was pretty much at the end of his career, only came here as squad filler really a bit like Klavan with less time on his side.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1065: Jun 24, 2017 02:56:40 pm
      Pellegrino their new manager. He was crap for us from what I remember of his brief spell with us (playing wise anyway because as it goes he's actually a pretty decent coach) so

the least he owes us is getting VVD out the door and over to us!

Was thinking the same.

Needs a bit more of the old corporate musical chairs ownership thing to settle down and lets then see where he ends up.

If Saints were hoping for a bidding war , their " by the book"  stuff may have backfired  with the other suitors warned off.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1066: Jun 25, 2017 12:17:54 pm
      Let's pretend ["accept", if you prefer] that we have indeed "ended any interest in the player"; who do you reckon we should be looking at and why?

What did/does VvD have that we can't find elsewhere?  :confused-smiley-013:

Genuine question, by the way; I'm not big on my centre halves.  :)
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,493 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1067: Jun 25, 2017 12:35:53 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1068: Jun 25, 2017 12:50:47 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1069: Jun 25, 2017 03:34:53 pm
      Chelsea are still after VVD and are prepared to slap a £60m offer on the table, however they are fully aware of the lad's desire to come to Anfield and will go for Juve's Leonardo Bonucci instead.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-virgil-van-dijk-13235611
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,152 posts | 1090 
      Reply #1070: Jun 25, 2017 04:01:07 pm
      Let's pretend ["accept", if you prefer] that we have indeed "ended any interest in the player"; who do you reckon we should be looking at and why?

I'll probably get killed for this but here it goes anyway. I would sign Johnny Evans and Andy Robertson (u can get them both for a reasonable price). With the 70mil we would NOT have to pay VVD we could use that to get Naby Keita and a midfielder (which looks like OX :-\) If we could perhaps do something to get Moreno, Lucas, and maybe even Stu or Origi off the books than more options open up. If that's the case we might be able to go after a striker whose pace better suits Salah and Mane. Benzema? Aubamayang? (or however you spell it) I know they are both old, but they fit into the window. Evans and Robertson aren't going to give what VVD does obviously. However, Robertson is better prepared to face CL football than Milner when you look at who they will face. As for Evans he can be a solid defender who can be consistent at CB. Thats more than we can say for Lovern
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #1071: Jun 25, 2017 04:23:25 pm
      JOHNNY EVANS
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1072: Jun 25, 2017 04:25:00 pm

I think VVD is a player with no holes to his game and is the most complete player available, doesn't mean he's perfect but it's a more surefire transfer. If we could not get him then I am also in the mindset of grabbing two at that position...my choices would be Jonathan Tah of Leverkusen and Robertson.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1073: Jun 25, 2017 04:30:50 pm
      I think VVD is a player with no holes to his game and is the most complete player available, doesn't mean he's perfect but it's a more surefire transfer. If we could not get him then I am also in the mindset of grabbing two at that position...my choices would be Jonathan Tah of Leverkusen and Robertson.

Robertson is s left back
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,267 posts | 6367 
      Reply #1074: Jun 25, 2017 04:33:18 pm
      VVD is a statement signing and a quality one. Can't believe people are advocating we shy away from spending the money on him to spend it on Evans and Robertson. SMH
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1075: Jun 25, 2017 04:41:19 pm
      VVD is a statement signing and a quality one. Can't believe people are advocating we shy away from spending the money on him to spend it on Evans and Robertson. SMH

We were responding to BBB question regarding other players out there..nobody was advocating anything.

You yourself have said this one is dead in the water and no way it's going to happen now so why shouldn't we be looking at other options?

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2017 04:52:21 pm by AZPatriot »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,152 posts | 1090 
      Reply #1076: Jun 25, 2017 05:06:32 pm

That was my plan if we didn't sign him. If Klopp thinks he is worth 70 or 80 mil than do it. If you are willing to spend that money VVD will certainly give you more than Andy Robertson and Johnny Evans. VVD is the best player we could possibly land, and I hope we do. The question was what we want the club to do if we don't sign Virgil, and my answer is Evans and Robertson. Robertson is a good young talent with room to grow and has more upside IMO than other rumored guys like Keane. Evans is a solid defender who can play LB if needed and is a consistent CB who plays smarter than Lovern. With VVD you will get 9 out 10 most days. With Evans you will get 6 or 7 out of 10 most days. With Lovern you will get anywhere between 2-7 out of 10. You just never know. Evans can come in play smart football. We need less mistakes if we want to improve in CL football.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1077: Jun 25, 2017 05:15:28 pm
      That was my plan if we didn't sign him. If Klopp thinks he is worth 70 or 80 mil than do it. If you are willing to spend that money VVD will certainly give you more than Andy Robertson and Johnny Evans. VVD is the best player we could possibly land, and I hope we do. The question was what we want the club to do if we don't sign Virgil, and my answer is Evans and Robertson. Robertson is a good young talent with room to grow and has more upside IMO than other rumored guys like Keane. Evans is a solid defender who can play LB if needed and is a consistent CB who plays smarter than Lovern. With VVD you will get 9 out 10 most days. With Evans you will get 6 or 7 out of 10 most days. With Lovern you will get anywhere between 2-7 out of 10. You just never know. Evans can come in play smart football. We need less mistakes if we want to improve in CL football.

I'm sorry but you can't be serious when you say you'd want us to sign Jonny Evans, you really can't.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1078: Jun 25, 2017 05:25:07 pm
      Southampton have told Liverpool they will need to pay £70m to prise defender Virgil van Dijk, 25, away this summer. (Sunday Express)

If true just get it done, Klopp obviously rates him, went into great detail convincing him to choose us, we had a negative net spend last summer so should be plenty in the kitty.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #1079: Jun 25, 2017 05:25:23 pm
      Jonny Evans haha

To be fair to the Northern Ireland legend, he's actually done very well at West Brom.

But seriously, for us? Hodgson scout alert!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1080: Jun 25, 2017 05:26:41 pm
      Jonny Evans haha

To be fair to the Northern Ireland legend, he's actually done very well at West Brom.

But seriously, for us? Hodgson scout alert!

Most defenders will do alright when they get help from the other 10 players who all sit behind the ball :D

Quick Reply