Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263212 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,170 posts | 1094 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1127: Jun 26, 2017 06:59:06 pm
      Cheers for helping my laziness. ;)

Haha thanks to all for the Lynchburg knowledge. I'll drop it on folks around here on trivia night
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,170 posts | 1094 
      Reply #1128: Jun 26, 2017 07:01:16 pm
      May I be the first one to say...THAT is f**king cool. I'll always remember studying it at school. What was the name of the farmer who's farmland had borne witness to one of the first battles of the war and also the end in his farm at Appomattox? 'Started in his back yard and ended in his porch' something along those lines? Sure it was mentioned in the Ken Burns series on the Civil War.

edit: Just googled it. Wilmer McLean - that was his name. Also I was wrong - it was two different pieces of land but he moved to Appomattox after the war broke out.

I live 3 miles from the Surrender Grounds and have been to the McClain house numerous times. I play in a baseball game every year around Independence Day right outside the house. It's pretty cool.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1129: Jun 27, 2017 12:01:58 am
      I live 3 miles from the Surrender Grounds and have been to the McClain house numerous times. I play in a baseball game every year around Independence Day right outside the house. It's pretty cool.

That is cool! Did you have any ancestors who fought in the Civil War?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1130: Jun 27, 2017 12:37:47 am
      Looks like this one is off for good. We've managed to piss off Saints once too often and they're refusing to sell to us for any price.

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  21m21 minutes ago
      More
       During talks between the clubs Southampton made it clear that they would not sell Van Dijk to Liverpool at any price. (@MattHughesTimes)

In addition, FSG values its reputation for probity and does not want to be seen to be going back on its word. (@MattHughesTimes)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  23m23 minutes ago
      More
       Jürgen Klopp still wants to sign Van Dijk, but has been told by his employers that another move for him is unrealistic. (@MattHughesTimes)

If this is to be believed we can consider this dead in the water. I just hope we don't go shopping at 'boro for his replacement. Full article's here if anyone has a subscription. If true, Michael Edwards's head needs to roll for royally screwing this transfer up.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1131: Jun 27, 2017 12:46:32 am
      Looks like this one is off for good. We've managed to piss off Saints once too often and they're refusing to sell to us for any price.

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  21m21 minutes ago
      More
       During talks between the clubs Southampton made it clear that they would not sell Van Dijk to Liverpool at any price. (@MattHughesTimes)

In addition, FSG values its reputation for probity and does not want to be seen to be going back on its word. (@MattHughesTimes)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  23m23 minutes ago
      More
       Jürgen Klopp still wants to sign Van Dijk, but has been told by his employers that another move for him is unrealistic. (@MattHughesTimes)

If this is to be believed we can consider this dead in the water. I just hope we don't go shopping at 'boro for his replacement. Full article's here if anyone has a subscription. If true, Michael Edwards's head needs to roll for royally screwing this transfer up.

Not saying he's wrong but it might be better to wait for somebody who is close to the club to have their say on the matter. Southampton would be stupid to not sell him to us at 'any price'. You can't tell me that if we offered say 90m for Van Dijk that they wouldn't accept. They'd all be sat round their boardroom table bashing one out at the thought of bringing in so much on one player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1132: Jun 27, 2017 12:49:16 am
      In addition, FSG values its reputation for probity and does not want to be seen to be going back on its word

F**k this. How about delivering some quality signings for a change instead of sticking to principals, Christ knows the other teams wanting to challenge with the best don't worry about such things. They pay the money and get the deal done.

We seem to have really screwed this one up.

This will be a sign of just how much backing and say over transfers Klopp has.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,170 posts | 1094 
      Reply #1133: Jun 27, 2017 01:06:44 am
      That is cool! Did you have any ancestors who fought in the Civil War?

Stonewall Jackson is in my family tree. Pretty dope, right?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1134: Jun 27, 2017 01:13:38 am
      F**k this. How about delivering some quality signings for a change instead of sticking to principals, Christ knows the other teams wanting to challenge with the best don't worry about such things. They pay the money and get the deal done.

We seem to have really screwed this one up.

This will be a sign of just how much backing and say over transfers Klopp has.

Well considering the investigation has been dropped:

http://www.anfieldhq.com/liverpool-will-face-no-punishment-premier-league-following-virgil-van-dijk-pursuit/

Then either we apologised prematurely or that apology bought a hold back of some evidence by Southampton.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1135: Jun 27, 2017 02:14:04 am
      If another club make a bid there is no reason we can't match it...if Soton will allow VVD to transfer and the bids are equal it will be up to the player.....No way they can sell to Chelsea and then refuse to acknowledge an equal or greater bid from another club the FA would be all over that, not to mention the players association.

If VVD wants to come and we match bids there's ain't a damn thing Soton can do about it except refuse to transfer all together and have a disgruntled player on the team sheet
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017 02:24:39 am by AZPatriot »
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #1136: Jun 27, 2017 02:36:25 am
      If another club make a bid there is no reason we can't match it...if Soton will allow VVD to transfer and the bids are equal it will be up to the player.....No way they can sell to Chelsea and then refuse to acknowledge an equal or greater bid from another club the FA would be all over that, not to mention the players association.

If VVD wants to come and we match bids there's ain't a damn thing Soton can do about it except refuse to transfer all together and have a disgruntled player on the team sheet

All true, it's why I'd be keen to see Chelsea bid as it gives the club cover to go back in.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1137: Jun 27, 2017 02:37:46 am
      All true, it's why I'd be keen to see Chelsea bid as it gives the club cover to go back in.

Exactly.

This whole saga was made far more difficult then it should have been....if we knew he wanted to come then slap down the first offer and go from there. We tried to be cute with it and it bit us right in the arse.
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017 02:45:48 am by AZPatriot »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1138: Jun 27, 2017 07:18:05 am
      How reliable is this Matt Hughes, surely Joyce would have reported this as the Merseyside reporter.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #1139: Jun 27, 2017 08:15:50 am
      So, FSG care about their "reputation" now, and dont want Klopp to go back in for VVD. Like they have been held in high esteem so far..

Aymeric Laporte, may be?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1140: Jun 27, 2017 09:29:50 am
      Well considering the investigation has been dropped:

http://www.anfieldhq.com/liverpool-will-face-no-punishment-premier-league-following-virgil-van-dijk-pursuit/

Then either we apologised prematurely or that apology bought a hold back of some evidence by Southampton.

Could it be the case the premature/uncalled for apology was issued as an intentional stumbling block to any negotiations with VVD's representatives?
      That situation would of course prevent an imminent 'hand in the pocket' scenario.

We are fully aware through experience which party would be responsible for the above tactic.
      Salah's signing and with it talk of a 'new dawn' or a change in the owner's mind set appear groundless.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1141: Jun 27, 2017 09:35:38 am
      So, FSG care about their "reputation" now, and dont want Klopp to go back in for VVD. Like they have been held in high esteem so far..

Aymeric Laporte, may be?

Bollocks may be.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1142: Jun 27, 2017 10:26:10 am

That's exactly how I thought it would play out AZ.

Could it be the case the premature/uncalled for apology was issued as an intentional stumbling block to any negotiations with VVD's representatives?
      That situation would of course prevent an imminent 'hand in the pocket' scenario.

We are fully aware through experience which party would be responsible for the above tactic.
      Salah's signing and with it talk of a 'new dawn' or a change in the owner's mind set appear groundless.

I get where you're coming from mate and quite simply hope not, it would seem incredibly convoluted. Personally I think it was more stupid than it was contrived, both the apology and the leaks to the journos.

Things have since gone quiet, now that could either be that we've learned a lesson or we're not active. Considering I said I'd give FSG this summer to show just how much they want to back Klopp I'll learn towards the former for now.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #1143: Jun 27, 2017 11:09:18 am
      It all depends where VVD stands. If he wants to come to Liverpool, the Saints just have two options: sell him to Liverpool or keep him. They'd be stupid not to take the money but taking the risk of a pissed player. It all depends how much VVD wants it!

The bitching right now is just to increase the price. They are all wh*res in the football business, if the price is right, they'll forget any (supposed) word or integrity.

We are just witnessing what's called negotiation.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1144: Jun 27, 2017 12:09:13 pm
      get where you're coming from mate and quite simply hope not, it would seem incredibly convoluted. Personally I think it was more stupid than it was contrived, both the apology and the leaks to the journos.

Things have since gone quiet, now that could either be that we've learned a lesson or we're not active. Considering I said I'd give FSG this summer to show just how much they want to back Klopp I'll learn towards the former for now.

As you say Luke it has gone quiet, as for 'learned a lesson' the fact that an apology was given out for supposed tapping up even before any claims of innapropriate methods were made, is baffling.

Such an approach, if indeed it was made, would not be down to the manager who would know full well the implications of such action. He would surely be made aware of any contact with the player and some arse kicking would be in order if that had gone on.

Arse kicking of gigantic proportions should ensue with the fact that a potential target for the club could have been missed and disciplinary action from the FA would have followed.

Why have we heard no more detail of the allegation that was admitted  and leaked to the media?
      Not to put to fine a point on it mate but that series of events sounds as convoluted as any suggestion I have made.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1145: Jun 27, 2017 12:17:09 pm
      Throw them Sakho and £30m, a direct replacement and £30m would surely give them food for thought.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1146: Jun 27, 2017 12:30:42 pm
      As you say Luke it has gone quiet, as for 'learned a lesson' the fact that an apology was given out for supposed tapping up even before any claims of innapropriate methods were made, is baffling.

Such an approach, if indeed it was made, would not be down to the manager who would know full well the implications of such action. He would surely be made aware of any contact with the player and some arse kicking would be in order if that had gone on.

Arse kicking of gigantic proportions should ensue with the fact that a potential target for the club could have been missed and disciplinary action from the FA would have followed.

Why have we heard no more detail of the allegation that was admitted  and leaked to the media?
      Not to put to fine a point on it mate but that series of events sounds as convoluted as any suggestion I have made.

There's also the fact Chelsea where accused of tapping him up but they have neither apologised nor have had any action taken against them and are also supposedly preparing a formal bid. If we're in the clear I see no reason not to formally table a bid for the player and let Saints take the next move. If they refuse to sell to us even after we meet their valuation then they not only unsettle the player but they also make it less likely anyone will ever sign a long term contract with them again.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1147: Jun 27, 2017 01:02:53 pm
      Throw them Sakho and £30m, a direct replacement and £30m would surely give them food for thought.

Don't let them see that on Saintsweb, they'll have a fit. They seem to think Sakho isn't worth more than 10m and they want 80-85m from us or 60-65m+Andres Christensen from Chelsea :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1148: Jun 27, 2017 03:03:40 pm
      Well I still think he'll be wearing the Liverpool shirt next season. Klopp wants him and the player wants to come, the rest is just bullshit haggling which might drag all summer.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1149: Jun 27, 2017 03:09:20 pm
      Don't let them see that on Saintsweb, they'll have a fit. They seem to think Sakho isn't worth more than 10m and they want 80-85m from us or 60-65m+Andres Christensen from Chelsea :lmao:

F**k their fans, its the boardrooms that make decisions ;)

Quick Reply