Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263337 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #115: May 03, 2017 02:56:30 pm
      Wow. That's a ringing endorsement of the manager.

Well our goals against record backs up what I said.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #116: May 03, 2017 02:56:49 pm
      Southampton, 1 of 2 teams in the Premier League with a worse record than us at set pieces. He'll slot right in.

That must be why Chelsea and City are sniffing.

He has not played since mid January.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #117: May 03, 2017 03:47:39 pm
      Someone care to explain the logic behind this notion that FSG are only floating big signing targets to placate fans with the knowledge that they won't pay the required fees or wages to bring them in. Wouldn't the overall effect in the long run be worse than not setting any transfer expectations at all? 

I'm confident we have a cogent and ambitious approach to building a title-winning team. We've made progress over 18 months and I expect that improvement to continue this summer and beyond, even if we aren't privvy to all the details ahead of time.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #118: May 03, 2017 05:23:54 pm
      Someone care to explain the logic behind this notion that FSG are only floating big signing targets to placate fans with the knowledge that they won't pay the required fees or wages to bring them in. Wouldn't the overall effect in the long run be worse than not setting any transfer expectations at all? 

I'm confident we have a cogent and ambitious approach to building a title-winning team. We've made progress over 18 months and I expect that improvement to continue this summer and beyond, even if we aren't privvy to all the details ahead of time.

Well the evidence is there for all to see. We're linked with big names every window, and haven't bought one in 7 seasons under these guys, despite being assured we can compete with anyone.
      Its already the same story after a poor window where a miserable net spend occured, "we'll have plenty to spend i the next window", but the money somehow never materializes.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6385 
      Reply #119: May 03, 2017 06:13:42 pm
      Well the evidence is there for all to see. We're linked with big names every window, and haven't bought one in 7 seasons under these guys, despite being assured we can compete with anyone.
      Its already the same story after a poor window where a miserable net spend occured, "we'll have plenty to spend i the next window", but the money somehow never materializes.

To be fair, last summer I don't remember us being linked with anyone "big" other than Gotze and we seemed to get our other targets...maybe selective amnesia though?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #120: May 03, 2017 06:16:30 pm

Maybe the issue is believing all the sh*t the press write, linking us with everyone and anyone based on nothing more than what they can conjure up in their imagination.

Personally, I don't believe anything they write, and I put it all on the back burner until I see a fella leaning on things at Melwood.

This bizarre forum thing where every rumour automatically becomes a certainty or "another one that got away" is extremely boring.
      For fucks sake, last week we had a poster saying he wouldn't mind Terry signing for us, and the next thing you know, some believe he's actually a target.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #121: May 03, 2017 06:47:25 pm
      Maybe the issue is believing all the sh*t the press write, linking us with everyone and anyone based on nothing more than what they can conjure up in their imagination.

Personally, I don't believe anything they write, and I put it all on the back burner until I see a fella leaning on things at Melwood.

This bizarre forum thing where every rumour automatically becomes a certainty or "another one that got away" is extremely boring.
      For fucks sake, last week we had a poster saying he wouldn't mind Terry signing for us, and the next thing you know, some believe he's actually a target.

We get some reporters that are apparently "in the know", I take them all with a pinch of salt, It's a case of eventually they'll get one right and people will trust them. Generally the times and Echo seem to be the trusted sources in this forum, I think both have linked us with Van Dijk so we'll see, but I can't see us parting with £50 million for any player.
      To be fair, last summer I don't remember us being linked with anyone "big" other than Gotze and we seemed to get our other targets...maybe selective amnesia though?

Can't even reremember last summer's rumours, but in the past we've been linked with Turan, Hazard, Drogba ( in a swap deal for Crouch 😁)

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #122: May 03, 2017 07:00:33 pm
      We get some reporters that are apparently "in the know", I take them all with a pinch of salt, It's a case of eventually they'll get one right and people will trust them. Generally the times and Echo seem to be the trusted sources in this forum, I think both have linked us with Van Dijk so we'll see, but I can't see us parting with £50 million for any player.
      Can't even reremember last summer's rumours, but in the past we've been linked with Turan, Hazard, Drogba ( in a swap deal for Crouch 😁)

The Echo just reports rumours from other sources these days, and the Times has turned into another Murdoch sh*t rag.

Scattergun "journalism".
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #123: May 03, 2017 07:01:05 pm

Think Dahoud could be thrown in there too... 

Over the next 4 months, we will likely be linked with about 100+ players by all the rags.  Throw enough sh*t at a wall and some will stick....
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #124: May 03, 2017 08:04:27 pm
      Think Dahoud could be thrown in there too... 

Over the next 4 months, we will likely be linked with about 100+ players by all the rags.  Throw enough sh*t at a wall and some will stick....

Even that example,and Zielinski as well, are guys that most of us wouldn't have been familiar with before the rumours began. I've since seen Dahoud a good bit and like him OK as a player (not the savior, mind). Zielinski, not so much. But as Swab mentioned, "being linked" often means nothing other than an agent talking to a reporter. And back to my original point, the accusation is that the club itself floats these rumours without intending to make the transfer, which would be like me bragging to you about how great I am at golf before we play a round together, only for it immediately to become apparent that I am in fact, nowhere close to good at golf. It actually makes me look worse that I lied/boasted about it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #125: May 03, 2017 09:02:28 pm
      back to my original point, the accusation is that the club itself floats these rumours without intending to make the transfer, which would be like me bragging to you about how great I am at golf before we play a round together, only for it immediately to become apparent that I am in fact, nowhere close to good at golf.
      Difference being you'd be lying to one, not so gullible, person: they are obviously lying to a number of folk who are clearly afraid admit they've been hoodwinked. 😉

But listen; I know, by the very nature of the beast, no one is gonna admit to that so think of this...

If they were anyway... any F***ing way afraid to be caught out in a transfer related lie [as you infer]: they wouldn't have spouted the utter sh*te that they weren't afraid to and could compete with anyone in the transfer market. 😉

Nah mate... only folk who don't want to admit they were wrong, fools and PR shills don't (or pretend not to) see the lie 😁

Still... I live in hope that Jürgen's presence will put paid to previous policies. [Last summer's move to more experienced/'ready made' signings being the first shoots of spring] 🤞

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017 09:07:06 pm by bad boy bubby »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #126: May 03, 2017 11:08:47 pm
      Even that example,and Zielinski as well, are guys that most of us wouldn't have been familiar with before the rumours began. I've since seen Dahoud a good bit and like him OK as a player (not the savior, mind). Zielinski, not so much. But as Swab mentioned, "being linked" often means nothing other than an agent talking to a reporter. And back to my original point, the accusation is that the club itself floats these rumours without intending to make the transfer, which would be like me bragging to you about how great I am at golf before we play a round together, only for it immediately to become apparent that I am in fact, nowhere close to good at golf. It actually makes me look worse that I lied/boasted about it.

When the mouth pieces of the club give us the same targets almost daily so yes last summer it was Dahoud, Goetze, Zielinski and guess what we landed none of those!
      In January it was clear Jürgen wanted Draxler and Brandt but again guess what?

And you know what those same sources are telling us weekly that Jürgen wants VVD, Keita, Brandt, Sessegnon.

So why would Joyce, Reddy, Pearce et al all report the same targets if they had not been briefed?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #127: May 03, 2017 11:33:31 pm

When the mouth pieces of the club give us the same targets almost daily so yes last summer it was Dahoud, Goetze, Zielinski and guess what we landed none of those!
      In January it was clear Jürgen wanted Draxler and Brandt but again guess what?

And you know what those same sources are telling us weekly that Jürgen wants VVD, Keita, Brandt, Sessegnon.

So why would Joyce, Reddy, Pearce et al all report the same targets if they had not been briefed?

Or to be conspiratorial one could say the club used them to mask who we really wanted...and to be fair Reddy and Pearce had said that Zielinski was being looked at but was a kid who was for the future much like Grujic and that Jürgen had spoken to the Gladbach manager regarding Dahoud and they decided for his progression another year there would be best for them...heard both Pearce and Reddy say that on TAW on more than one occasion.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #128: May 03, 2017 11:43:57 pm
      Or to be conspiratorial one could say the club used them to mask who we really wanted...and to be fair Reddy and Pearce had said that Zielinski was being looked at but was a kid who was for the future much like Grujic and that Jürgen had spoken to the Gladbach manager regarding Dahoud and they decided for his progression another year there would be best for them...heard both Pearce and Reddy say that on TAW on more than one occasion.

More likely confirms that the likes of Reddy and Pearce really are the mouth pieces of the club, does  anybody really believe that nonsense re Zielinski and Dahoud when we clearly tried so hard to land them!

From what I can recall from last summer it was the usual BS - we would not pay extra required to get our target.

Let's see what the excuses will be re VVD, Keita and Brandt!

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #129: May 04, 2017 12:05:40 am
      From what I can recall from last summer it was the usual BS - we would not pay extra required to get our target.

We paid around £36mill for Mane...

Zielinski we were putting bids in for which were the same as Napoli, they had theirs accepted whilst we had our rejected to try and get more from us.
      The players like Dahoud that we didn't pay more for is because Klopp wouldn't have thought they were worth paying the money for and to be honest, them two players haven't done much at all this season to suggest that we were wrong in not bringing them in.

It's all well and good blaming the owners but why can't people accept Klopp has the final say? We moan when Rodgers didn't say this and then don't believe it when Klopp does say it, can't have it both ways.
      Nothing about last summer suggests it was down to the owners, the transfer patterns were the same as it's always been for Klopp, he never looks to spend big and the fact we paid so much for Mane, who was apparently very inconsistent, shows that the club were prepared to pay big money.

Let's see what the excuses will be re VVD, Keita and Brandt!

Or lets see what the summer window brings first?

Honestly don't get it with some people, all the talk is pointing to us spending more than ever this summer yet people are still complaining. Our owners aren't perfect but I have don't think for a second they didn't let Klopp bring in exactly who he wanted to bring in and was able to. Not the owners fault if we get rejected by a player, it's just the position the club is at for the moment.

But that's just my opinion like, guess no one really knows what is going on behind the scenes.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #130: May 04, 2017 12:20:15 am
      More likely confirms that the likes of Reddy and Pearce really are the mouth pieces of the club, does  anybody really believe that nonsense re Zielinski and Dahoud when we clearly tried so hard to land them!

Not what I heard from Reddy or Pearce at all, especially in regards to Dahoud; Reddy in particular said it came directly from Klopp as he has/had a good relationship with the manager of Gladbach. They had lost 2 of they're 3 starting mid-fielders, (Xhaka, Nordviet) had Champions League and did not want to give up Dahoud. After speaking with them both managers agreed to re-visit in the future and in the meantime Dahoud would be playing each week and progressing his game whereas for us he was not going to be a starter when we kicked off our league campaign.

Sometimes thing don't work out ...such is life and if I was a Gladbach supporter going into Champions league and giving up all 3 of my starting mid-fielders before it even started the pitchforks would have been out.

Pretty understandable and reasonable if you look at it like that and it's not like Gladbach were suffering from cashflow issues seeing how they had a negative net spend of over £20+ million.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2017 12:24:52 am by AZPatriot »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #131: May 04, 2017 07:19:22 am
      We paid around £36mill for Mane...

Zielinski we were putting bids in for which were the same as Napoli, they had theirs accepted whilst we had our rejected to try and get more from us.
      The players like Dahoud that we didn't pay more for is because Klopp wouldn't have thought they were worth paying the money for and to be honest, them two players haven't done much at all this season to suggest that we were wrong in not bringing them in.

It's all well and good blaming the owners but why can't people accept Klopp has the final say? We moan when Rodgers didn't say this and then don't believe it when Klopp does say it, can't have it both ways.
      Nothing about last summer suggests it was down to the owners, the transfer patterns were the same as it's always been for Klopp, he never looks to spend big and the fact we paid so much for Mane, who was apparently very inconsistent, shows that the club were prepared to pay big money.

Or lets see what the summer window brings first?

Honestly don't get it with some people, all the talk is pointing to us spending more than ever this summer yet people are still complaining. Our owners aren't perfect but I have don't think for a second they didn't let Klopp bring in exactly who he wanted to bring in and was able to. Not the owners fault if we get rejected by a player, it's just the position the club is at for the moment.

But that's just my opinion like, guess no one really knows what is going on behind the scenes.

What has £36M got to do with anything we had a zero net spend last year.

Klopp has the final say in what exactly? When he wanted Draxler and Brandt this January what happened then.
      That's right the club couldn't get the deals done, ever heard those excuses with FSG previously!

PS This is the same PR who briefed the press that Sanchez would not move to LFC because his wife wanted to stay in London, so you will have to forgive me if I am sceptical re anything FSG state  :D
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2017 07:32:00 am by HScRed1 »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #132: May 04, 2017 07:29:02 am
      What has £36M got to do with anything we had a zero net spend last year.

Klopp has the final say in what exactly? When he wanted Draxler and Brandt this January what happened then.
      That's right the club couldn't get the deals done, ever heard those excuses with FSG previously!

He wanted Draxler and Brant? In January? I don't think that's fully true mate.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #133: May 04, 2017 07:31:22 am
      He wanted Draxler and Brant? In January? I don't think that's fully true mate.

Why you sit on the committee  :D

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #134: May 04, 2017 07:49:46 am
      Why you sit on the committee  :D

Haha yes indeed :P

I just remember Klopp not being interested in January deals and all signs were pointing to no signing the entire month. Don't think there were any serious offers made
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #135: May 04, 2017 08:40:48 am
      Haha yes indeed :P

I just remember Klopp not being interested in January deals and all signs were pointing to no signing the entire month. Don't think there were any serious offers made

We were serious on Draxler we couldnt match the wages PSG offered, and we were certainly trying for Brandt.

Wide forwards has been a area identified by Klopp since he first arrived at the club.

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #136: May 04, 2017 08:45:16 am
      "They said we'd be able to compete with the top players" <---------------------> "You shouldn't listen to transfer rumours"..

Horrendous counter argument imo.

I wish I had the time to go back and separate the actual quotes said by the club and managers which genuinely suggested we had money to spend, only to spend no money..

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #137: May 04, 2017 08:46:04 am
      the transfer patterns were the same as it's always been for Klopp, he never looks to spend big and the fact we paid so much for Mane, who was apparently very inconsistent, shows that the club were prepared to pay big money.
      So, what is it: "The club were prepared to pay big money" or Klopp, ("who never looks to spend big" and has "the final say" remember), was "prepared to pay big money"?

Quick Reply