Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263424 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1334: Jul 13, 2017 11:48:00 pm
      I checked and it's still there, I doubt any club could force a player to delete their own personal account.

No I think the article you posted says the lawyer breaking this news deactivated his account not VVD.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1335: Jul 13, 2017 11:51:34 pm
      No I think the article you posted says the lawyer breaking this news deactivated his account not VVD.

Southampton probably threatened him with a premier league sanction or something.

Don't piss around with Soton...they are a sleeping giant.

That being said this was pretty well done...fair play to them

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/885551913856630784
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1336: Jul 14, 2017 12:05:02 am
      Are we doing this right? ????✍️ #saintsfc pic.twitter.com/TaByabGqci
          — Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) July 13, 2017

Like it. The announcements this season have been embarrassing.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1337: Jul 14, 2017 12:14:16 am
      Southampton probably threatened him with a premier league sanction or something.

Don't piss around with Soton...they are a sleeping giant.

That being said this was pretty well done...fair play to them

Great video but it was wasted on a player I thought had retired about 50 years ago.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1338: Jul 14, 2017 12:23:28 am
      Great video but it was wasted on a player I thought had retired about 50 years ago.

Fits perfectly, though, I thought. Don't think they'd do that type of video to announce a big signing.

Loved it :D Wonder when we'll bid for their social media team.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1339: Jul 14, 2017 12:41:59 am
      Fits perfectly, though, I thought. Don't think they'd do that type of video to announce a big signing.

Loved it :D Wonder when we'll bid for their social media team.

I wouldn't put it past them. I guess we'll find out when they actually sign a decent player to replace Van Dijk ;)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1340: Jul 14, 2017 02:02:55 am
      I wouldn't put it past them. I guess we'll find out when they actually sign a decent player to replace Van Dijk ;)

Meanwhile Lovren being held out of matches with a "minor injury." Hmmmm.

That must mean Dej is moving back down south as part of a swap deap to lower the VVD fee from 100 million to....88 million.

Hey?

beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #1341: Jul 14, 2017 04:28:13 pm
      To ÂŁ99,99950 🤣
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1342: Jul 14, 2017 04:30:30 pm
      Meanwhile Lovren being held out of matches with a "minor injury." Hmmmm.

That must mean Dej is moving back down south as part of a swap deap to lower the VVD fee from 100 million to....88 million.

Hey?

Where did you see he's out, just saw on twitter he's part of the squad.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1343: Jul 14, 2017 05:02:48 pm

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-southampton-not-re-opened-talks-liverpool-virgil-van-dijk-135652280.html
      Exclusive: Southampton have NOT re-opened talks with Liverpool over Virgil van Dijk
      Kevin Palmer
      Yahoo Sport UK14 Jul 2017, 09:56
      Southampton continue to insist they have no plans to sell Virgil van Dijk this summer.

Southampton have not opened talks with Liverpool over the sale of defender Virgil van Dijk, despite fresh reports in the Uk media that the two clubs were trying to finalise a fee for the Dutch centre-back.

Sources close to Southampton have told Yahoo Sport UK that Van Dijk has not been the subject of renewed interest from Liverpool since the Anfield club issued a full apology to their Premier League rivals for a series of illegal approaches for Van Dijk.

We understand that contact extended to Van Dijk staging one-on-one talks with Liverpool manager JĂźrgen Klopp and holding detailed discussions over tactical planning for next season, with the 26-year-old defender then appearing to decide he wanted to make the move to Anfield.

Irate Southampton officials lodged a complaint with the Football Association over the approaches Liverpool had made for Van Dijk, with Anfield chiefs offering a somewhat embarrassing apology as they were threatened with a punishment for their actions.

Liverpool assured Southampton that they would not return with a fresh attempt to sign Van Dijk this summer as part of the apology and despite claims in UK newspapers that contact between the two clubs over a deal for the player have continued in recent days.

We understand that new Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino is making his plans for the new season with Van Dijk very much in his plans, with the defender who signed a new six-year contract with Saints last summer expected to refocus his thoughts on his current employers from this point forward.

Southampton executive director Les Reed has made it clear that his club have no intentions of selling their star names this summer, with these comments confirming they are under no pressure to sell players they consider to be integral first team performers.

“None of those players are for sale. I can’t make it any plainer than that and that’s the way we mean to go forward,” Reed said in an interview with Sky Sports last month.

“We built this squad over some time and think we have a strong squad. We will fine-tune it but, other than that, we are looking forward to a very competitive season next year and we plan to go forward on that basis.

“There may be players that go on the basis it is the right thing for them and the club at that given time but we don’t expect that to be wholesale and this is simply doing sound business in the transfer window.”

Van Dijk has been working on his fitness at Southampton’s Staplewood training base in recent weeks, as he looks to recover full fitness after missing the second half of last season with an serious foot injury and there is an expectation that he will be fully for their first Premier League game of the season against Swansea on August 12th.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1344: Jul 14, 2017 05:20:48 pm
      https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-southampton-not-re-opened-talks-liverpool-virgil-van-dijk-135652280.html
      Exclusive: Southampton have NOT re-opened talks with Liverpool over Virgil van Dijk
      Kevin Palmer
      Southampton continue to insist they have no plans to sell Virgil van Dijk this summer.

Southampton have not opened talks with Liverpool over the sale of defender Virgil van Dijk, despite fresh reports in the Uk media that the two clubs were trying to finalise a fee for the Dutch centre-back.

Sources close to Southampton have told Yahoo Sport UK that Van Dijk has not been the subject of renewed interest from Liverpool since the Anfield club issued a full apology to their Premier League rivals for a series of illegal approaches for Van Dijk.

We understand that contact extended to Van Dijk staging one-on-one talks with Liverpool manager JĂźrgen Klopp and holding detailed discussions over tactical planning for next season, with the 26-year-old defender then appearing to decide he wanted to make the move to Anfield.

Irate Southampton officials lodged a complaint with the Football Association over the approaches Liverpool had made for Van Dijk, with Anfield chiefs offering a somewhat embarrassing apology as they were threatened with a punishment for their actions.

Liverpool assured Southampton that they would not return with a fresh attempt to sign Van Dijk this summer as part of the apology and despite claims in UK newspapers that contact between the two clubs over a deal for the player have continued in recent days.

We understand that new Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino is making his plans for the new season with Van Dijk very much in his plans, with the defender who signed a new six-year contract with Saints last summer expected to refocus his thoughts on his current employers from this point forward.

Southampton executive director Les Reed has made it clear that his club have no intentions of selling their star names this summer, with these comments confirming they are under no pressure to sell players they consider to be integral first team performers.

“None of those players are for sale. I can’t make it any plainer than that and that’s the way we mean to go forward,” Reed said in an interview with Sky Sports last month.

“We built this squad over some time and think we have a strong squad. We will fine-tune it but, other than that, we are looking forward to a very competitive season next year and we plan to go forward on that basis.

“There may be players that go on the basis it is the right thing for them and the club at that given time but we don’t expect that to be wholesale and this is simply doing sound business in the transfer window.”

Van Dijk has been working on his fitness at Southampton’s Staplewood training base in recent weeks, as he looks to recover full fitness after missing the second half of last season with an serious foot injury and there is an expectation that he will be fully for their first Premier League game of the season against Swansea on August 12th.

The fact that they have to come out and deny probably means they are under pressure from the player/agent and Soton is greasing the skids for they're supporters "We did all we can do, but the player want's to leave"

We shall see, I personally think both him and Keita are going to get done sooner or later.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1345: Jul 14, 2017 06:30:08 pm
      Where did you see he's out, just saw on twitter he's part of the squad.

sorry, fake news on my part.

The swap deal was just a laugh of course, but yeah, Dej is back in action now, although  curiously not partnered with Matip in the first choice xi.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1346: Jul 14, 2017 06:51:40 pm
      Kevin Palmer

- Good enough cover for me.

This whole article fits the "for every action, there's a reaction" paradigm. Doesn't really tell me anything. If anything, it hints that something is up.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #1347: Jul 14, 2017 06:56:50 pm

- Good enough cover for me.

This whole article fits the "for every action, there's a reaction" paradigm. Doesn't really tell me anything. If anything, it hints that something is up.

Agreed
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1348: Jul 20, 2017 12:10:14 pm
      Virgil van Dijk has told Southampton he wishes to join Liverpool, as he bids to force through a move to Anfield. (Joseph Musker, Di Marzio)

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1349: Jul 20, 2017 05:30:26 pm
      Virgil van Dijk has told Southampton he wishes to join Liverpool, as he bids to force through a move to Anfield. (Joseph Musker, Di Marzio)

But yet still no transfer request... if he was that desperate he would hand one in, lose his loyalty bonus and do all he can to get his move.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1350: Jul 20, 2017 05:44:20 pm
      But yet still no transfer request... if he was that desperate he would hand one in, lose his loyalty bonus and do all he can to get his move.

Bingo, we are wasting our time with this and the Keita transfer it seems.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #1351: Jul 21, 2017 02:10:01 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1352: Jul 21, 2017 02:14:53 pm

You'd have thought the 'transfer committee' would have lined up alternatives. But of course not.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1353: Jul 21, 2017 02:15:33 pm

No problem with going for what you want and only aiming for what you perceive to be the best but if we do miss out on VvD then it's looking like our starting back 5 could be the same as what finished the season.

Now I know there are 3 young lads (Karius, Trent, Robertson) who could all improve past the first team players, or indeed already be better but I did think that defence was the most crucial area to improve dramatically on. With a CB pairing as injury prone as Matip and Lovren I just don't have enough faith that Klavan/Gomez are good enough to be relied upon beyond a few games here and there.

Have to hope we can get this one over the line, but right now it feels like very little progress is being made on any front.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1354: Jul 21, 2017 02:24:17 pm
      How does Joyce know any of what he has reported.
      There has been no briefing of journo's since the VVD incident.

What he should have said was "in my opinion".
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1355: Jul 21, 2017 02:32:22 pm
      No problem with going for what you want and only aiming for what you perceive to be the best but if we do miss out on VvD then it's looking like our starting back 5 could be the same as what finished the season.

Now I know there are 3 young lads (Karius, Trent, Robertson) who could all improve past the first team players, or indeed already be better but I did think that defence was the most crucial area to improve dramatically on. With a CB pairing as injury prone as Matip and Lovren I just don't have enough faith that Klavan/Gomez are good enough to be relied upon beyond a few games here and there.

Have to hope we can get this one over the line, but right now it feels like very little progress is being made on any front.

It's starting to feel like we're going to exit another Summer without securing a single primary target.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1356: Jul 21, 2017 02:36:10 pm
      It's starting to feel like we're going to exit another Summer without securing a single primary target.

Salah?

Quick Reply